Question about Download and Upload Speeds

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: older post

File Id ab

I have two questions for all Champions, Exede Emerald, Exede Kimberly and any other users that might like to give an answer.

What percentage of a DOWNLOAD SPEED and an UPLOAD SPEED would have to be maintained in any twenty-four hour continuous period to meet the Download Speed and Upload Speed given on Exede's Web site for a Class 10 Plan?

How much of that percentage would have to be maintained during working hours (Say 7am to 7pm Eastern Slandered Time) ?

I would appreciate any answer you could give.

Photo of WillyMcDee

WillyMcDee

• 103 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3163 Posts
  • 2034 Reply Likes
Exede list the speeds expected as up to 12 MBPS download and up to 3 MBPS upload speed. Slower speed can be expected during times of heavy user activity. No internet provider guarantees speed because it is dependent on the amount of data passing through their system at any given moment.
Photo of WillyMcDee

WillyMcDee

• 103 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
file id ac

I really appreciate the information you provided.  It has been given every time a question about download and upload speeds comes up.

It does not however, provide an answer to the questions that I asked.

Thank you very much for your comment.
(Edited)
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
If I understand your question (which, I'm not sure I  really do), you can transfer a full 10 GB in less than two hours, at 12 mbs
Photo of WillyMcDee

WillyMcDee

• 103 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
I am thankful for your input.  It showed me that my question really was not very clear.

What I am trying to find out is if,  say the  download speed for Exede's CLass 10 PLAN, constantly stays below Exede's stated download speed (12Mbp) can Exede  still claim on their web site that the download speed is 12Mbp?  At what percent of the time should the download speed be close to 12Mbp in order for the stated speed on the web site  truthfully be said to be 12Mbp? 

• 3156 Posts
  • 2030 Reply Likes
In the 32 months that I have had Exede, my speeds average between 18 MBPS and 23 MBPS. On a few occasions, mostly during the holidays when the kids are all home, I have seen speeds down to 8 MBPS for no more than a few hours. I don't see anything wrong with Exede's claim of download speeds up to 12 MBPS. The speed is the same on all of the plans, unless you are in the area of the country that has only Exede 5 MBPS plans.
Photo of WillyMcDee

WillyMcDee

• 103 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Steve,
In the short time I have the service I have never had over .5 Mps.  From what I have seen in reading the conversations you are certainly an exception to what most users get.  How many users do you know that regularly get the downloads you are getting.

That still doesn't answer thge questions.
Photo of A. Everett Neuman

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Hi Willy,
12/3 is the advertised speed. Exede does have fine print that states"We don't guarantee any speed, at times." This is the norm (cover our ass promise) for ANY internet provider. Shit Happen's ! ☺

As Steve mentioned, and I have experienced the basic same results. The norm is more than advertised for 75%+ of the time.

In my experience (excluding Holiday's) the late night free zone (no Gig's counted) is one of the slow down periods, at least at the start, then the norm speed returns.

So, during a 24 hour period, I would estimate 120% + of the advertised speed.

And, during the 7 am to 7 pm period (excluding Holiday's), I estimate 130% +- of the advertised speed

I have the Classic 10 Plan. I'm happy. As for speed and reliability, Exede has been top notch, and has fully met their offered standards, advertised and contractual. 

I have not been effected by some/ any of the several issues that have hit other users. We have pondered this, but have no answer for my luck or different usage patterns.

There are over 600K Exede users, less than 0.01% have stated problems or issues that Exede is working on, or have been resolved. Not a bad average in any business.

I'm not sure what your overall plan is, weather working at home, just surfing, or something more intense in data movement. But if I could offer one warning; "If it moves, makes noise, or flashes. It's burning your Gig's. Video's and movies, transferring large HD  images, WILL eat Gig's.

Hope it helps,
Everett
(Edited)
Photo of WillyMcDee

WillyMcDee

• 103 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Well that is certainly an answer to the questions.  I also have the Classic 10 plan.  From what I have read of what the other users are getting you are certainly LUCKY or just in the right place.

If you rule out all of the items that you warned me about WHAT IS LEFT ???

I certainly wonder how many of the other users that read this will agree with.you.

Are there really 600,000 exede users. that seems like an awful lot.  I wonder how many of them might live in Kentucky ? At a bandwidth of 1Khz (the band of each user could be  a little user could be a little higher ... not sure)that would mean the total bandwidth that would mean that Exede has a total bandwith for their system would be a total of 600 Mhz. If each Satellite Internet got that much plus  all the other TV satellite and military satellites that we don't  even that would chew a lot of the kbowb RF spectrum..

I guess I'll just have continue with my research.

I sure would like to get those speeds.  I would settle for a constant 2Mbr.

Regards

Willy

Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Willy,

First the original questions asked don't have an answer for most of the reasons mentioned above. At the same time, the only way you'll see consistent speeds at or above those advertised is through a sustained, large download - however I don't think you want to sustain a single large file download for a 12 hour period to make the percentage determination - but I could be wrong if your lucky enough to be on the Freedom plan, and even then it's a "virtually unlimited" plan.

More important is your perception of speed and what the basis is for determining your speeds? A speed test site? There are many and some are more accurate or inaccurate than others. Identify it and post the results.

Secondly, post your modem and TRIA statistics available at:

http://192.168.100.1/?page=modemStatus

and

http://192.168.100.1/?page=TRIAStatus

In the case of the modem statistics be sure to redact your IP and MAC addresses.

Any interpretation beyond that which can be offered by members here, requires ViaSat intervention. However, that information may yield some insight as to your speed issues. That and the obvious question:

Have you exceeded your plan's data limits resulting in being DAPPED and therefore experiencing slower speeds due to that policy?     
(Edited)
Photo of John Horsman

John Horsman

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I think this is a Math question. Basically if you got a 10 gig a month cap with bi directional. If you were to apply QOS, What would be the max bandwith used to keep it going 24/7 to reach 10 gigs in a month..  Assuming we use 5 gigs for up and down. Going off base 8..
 1024*5000 = 5120000

5120000 / 31(days)  =  165151.290 / 1440(min) = 114.695 / 60 (seconds) = 1.911KBs (second) up/down.

Not much. Now to correct the Maths for LNFZ

LNFZ = 5 Hours = 300 Min

165151.290 -/ (1440-300) = 144.869 / 60 = 2.41 KB/s up/down. If one direction this doubles.

Close to a 28.8 Modem if you were to keep connections going active for whatever your doing for 10 gigs. I advise scheduling DL's for LFNZ. My math should be right.. (Could be wrong, but should serve as a rough approx Does not calculate Febuary or 30 day months but in my experience, it all washes out.)
Photo of John Horsman

John Horsman

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Now eyeing the second part of the question, You wish it for a 12 hour period. Take my numbers and *2 = and that will give you the 12 hour Max during hours. Means LFNZ does not play part of the equation so 1.911KB/s*2 =3.822

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Willy,

To answer another question posed - there are some 650000 + Exede users at last count. Kentucky is covered by 4 spot beams and we'll never know exact subscriber counts within each of those beams. However, since plans are still being offered on each of those beams, they likely haven't reached maximum capacity yet.

Then again, based on the file id tags on your recent posts, I'm starting to suspect your preparing some sort of amicus brief for the upcoming SCOTUS Holder vs. ViaSat  case -  your honor, exhibit A clearly demonstrates that Everett is able to achieve 100 Mbps 24/7 with a simple Pringles can ;)    

(Edited)
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
How is this for a sobering thought:  ViaSat-1 has an advertised capacity of 140 Gbps.  If all 650,000 users were on at the same time and miraculously evenly distributed through the beams, they would each have a data rate available of about 0.215 Mbps!  This of course also ignores overhead and the fact that ViaSat-1's capacity is not totally available to Joe Consumer.  Fortunately, we are not all on at the same time and we are not all continually streaming data (although there are those that want to), and that is why I can post speed tests of +20 Mbps in the morning. 
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
WillyMcDee - Hopefully one of the Exede moderators will catch your post.  If you are only getting 0.5 Mbps, then something is obviously wrong. unless you are DAP'd.  Beam congestion would give you relief from time to time, it must be something else. I don't know if you have posted this problem elsewhere, but I really think that it can be addressed and fixed by the Exede folks.  What is your Rx SNR?  See it at http://192.168.100.1/?page=modemStatus
Photo of WillyMcDee

WillyMcDee

• 103 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
I apologize to all of you that have commented on my post. As a Cowboys fan I have been watching them loose to GB to day. I will go back an try to answer all post.

JEP,,
I wonder if the beams are evenly assigned users ?  Do you have any idea what a given beam capacity of is. What is the beamwidth  of a user that if getting 12Gbp download?  What is the percentage of the time in a 24 hour period that you get that +20Mbp.  How often do you get above the 12Mbp ?  What should is an acceptable SNP be?  Can I select the beam I'm on?  Dose the beam I'm assigned change from time to time ??

Again I am grateful for the you spent committing on my post.

Willy

Photo of WillyMcDee

WillyMcDee

• 103 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
To all,

I'm sorry but as a new user I did not realize  that I could not go back and comment on a post after a certain period (whatever it is)  I do believe have issues with many of the statements made in some of the post.

Again I do thank you for the time you took to comment on my post.
(Edited)
Photo of WillyMcDee

WillyMcDee

• 103 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Lab Rescuer, Champion ,

I was not aware of any law suits against ViaSat. I find it very interesting. I am not sure how I would react to any request from Mr Holder for information . Is SCOTUS Holder vs. ViaSat  case for real ??

Doesn't the Contract we signed forbid us from participating an any law suit or class action action ??

I am however keeping a record of my data usage .  I am also evaluting several data usage software that will let me tract my data usage from my own computer.

I check out the web sites you suggested.  Do you have the acceptable value for each item.  How do I tell if my readings are not good ??

I find it very hard to believe ViaSat does not know exactly how many customers it has in Kentucky or any other state for that matter.

Willy
(Edited)

• 3156 Posts
  • 2030 Reply Likes
WillyMcDee,

You can answer any of the above, it just will not appear under their post, but at the end of the thread. Sorry your team lost, my team never got to the playoff again this year, but I am used to that.

The beams are not assigned evenly, but when they get too many subscribers, then they stop accepting new customers. You cannot choose what beam you are on, that is determined by youor geographical location. You can see the beams on the  map at this link http://www.northlc.com/_images/beam_priority_map.png

As for me, my download speeds are 18 MBPS to 23 MBPS most of the time, it does slow down to about 10 MBPS some nights between midnight and 3 a.m. during the LNFZ, mainly because so many users are doing large downloads using the scheduling programs to download games and videos. I have only seen speeds near 8 MBPS on a few of the days during the holidays, right after Christmas, people out of school and home from work I suppose, and many with new electronic toys and gadgets.

As for your consistently slow speeds, if you have not gone over your data allowance for the month, then you could have a problem with your modem, tria, or dish alignment, or something blocking the line of sight from your dish to the big silver bird in the sky. You haven't posted any of your modem status numbers as was suggested by Lab Rescuer above, the numbers would help us see if you have a signal problem.  we are here to provide you some help, you certainly should be getting speeds at or above 12 MBPS most of the time.

Also, if you haven't done so yet, send an email to the moderators at exedelistens@viasat.com. The moderators are here to help and have great tools to analyze yoour modem and signal status. They will respond rather quickly, and give you much more satisfaction than if you call CSD by phone, or even emailing through the Exede.com website.

Just trying to help you get a good experience with your internet.

FWIW, I am on the Classic Exede 12 - 10 GB plan.
Photo of WillyMcDee

WillyMcDee

• 103 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
John Horsman

I am not sure what you saying with your math.  I will study it further to see if it has any information I might want to keep.

It doesn't answer I was trying to ask.

I do thank you for time tho.

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Hi Willy,
A question I would have for you is; Are you concerned with the math of the internet service? Or, are you having a issue with the connection you have now?

Have you checked your modem status? Do you know what you have found? people here on the forum are ready to tackle your problems or issues, with the equipment, or the connection. 

Questioning JEP's math or deeper understanding of the whole Exede network and it's inter and or outer (space) workings is a learning experience. If I wanted to know how many diode's are in the big beer can in the sky, JEP would be my first goto person. He read's. But he doesn't babble. I babble. Lap, is another deep book of knowledge, as are many others.

If it's billing, or question for the higher up's from Exede. Then ask your question directed to one of the K Girl rep's. The weekend might be busy, but they will get back to you.

So, What's up Willy, what do you want to know or fix?

Hope it helps,
Everett

• 3156 Posts
  • 2030 Reply Likes
Willie, I am sure that Exede knows exactly how many customers it has on each beam, however that information is nor made public.

Modem numbers should be:

Rx SNR generally 6.0 db or higher

Cable Resistance less than 5.0 ohms

Cable attenuation in midrange

and on the tria tab, there should be no red flags, only green check marks

If you are running Window, here is a link to some free data usage apps

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/monitor-internet-usage/

I have been using Networx, others like the BitMeter2.
Photo of WillyMcDee

WillyMcDee

• 103 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Everett McLaughlin,

I am not really interested in a math problem.  Exede says on their web site I am paying for 12Mbp download speed on a CLASS 10 Plan They also state that the download speed may very somewhat.  If the download is consistently less and Exede is aware of it then I am really not paying for a download speed of 12Mbp t. That makes the stated download not true.

I have checked my modem status and sent it to Exede.  So far they have not received any response to my questions.  It is under review.  Do you have any record as to what the modem items should be.

I will remember to ask JEP.

Thank you for your time.

Willy

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Willy,

FWIW, the Exede web site also includes a link to the fine print of the customer agreement at:

http://www.exede.com/documents/master/customer-agreement.pdf

Basically there are no warranties provided regarding minimum upload and download speeds. That being said it makes little sense for ViaSat to not provide speeds approaching those advertised from a purely business perspective.

There are only two reasons that you should not be achieving those speeds on a regular basis:

1. You have exceded your 10 GBs alloted for the month, are DAPPED and your speeds have been slowed for that reason. Check your usage meter to make that determination.
  2. You have a faulty installation or equipment. Steve has posted some general guidelines above on what to look for on the modem and tria status pages.
Since your first post four days ago was regarding seemingly high data usage, # 1 is probable.

#2 can only be addressed by ViaSat but providing the information here could lead to an unofficial diagnosis of a faulty installation.    

And no, there is no current law suit and you are free to criticize here as much as you desire, including posting links to other web sites ripe with consumer complaints (as you did in your second post yesterday).

If the eventual answer is that you're having a data usage issue, you'll find those replying here ready to assist in getting your usage under control - an unfortunate fact of life when dealing with limited satellite internet plans.

P.S. I'm not even a Cowboys fan but in my opinion it was a catch - I saw a couple "football" moves once he had control and before it came loose - but then I'm not a referee.        
(Edited)
Photo of WillyMcDee

WillyMcDee

• 103 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Lab Rescuer, Champion

Actually there is a third reason that would cause your Download Speed (and probably Upload Speed also) to be low.  There is only so much bandwidth in each download beam.
Each download user will require so much bandwidth for a given download speed. If we are talking about a 10Mbp download speed there would be a finite number of users that could use the beam at the same time. If the number of users assigned to a beam were limited to or just below that number everyone could get the advertised speed.   *' The Reperasentive I talked to told me that's what Exede was  doing when I questioned  about the speed.  That reason why I signed with Exede.*'

That is not a economical way to do business as most of the time,  all of the assigned users will be using the beam at any time.

The Telephone Company (  I retired from AT&T ) had the same  problem.  They did not maintain a circuit from city to  city  for each customer that might be using the circuits.  They made a study and determined than for a given number of users if they maintained  a certain number of circuits from city to city then a  high percentage of users would get through.  If they cut the number of circuits lower and lower the a lower and lower percentage of users would get through.  If they maintained two circuits then at least two users would get through.  Not necessary when they wanted to use the service through.

Now back to Exede's download speeds,

The only they can continue to assign users to a given beam is to cut the download speed each user gets but all users may get some download,  It's all software controlled.

Of course there can always be weather and hardware problems.

If Exede is going to knowingly going to ssign more users to a given beam so that the advertised speed can not be maintained then the advertised should be lowered.

Would you believe that this is a shortened version.  Anyway I hope this gives you an idea  of where I'm coming from.

At this point I don't really know if I have a data usage problem or not.  After reading so many post complaining about data usage  problems I am trying to see if I  have a problem or not. The first to day and a half of my service Exede said I had used 2 Gbp. It took all the users on my plan with Verzion more than 15 days to use that much data.

Thanks very much for your time and help.

Willy

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
That's correct, Willy.

However, I qualified my statements with "there are only two reasons that you should not be achieving those speeds on a regular basis" with an emphasis on regular. There's no evidence to suggest that beams have been saturated or oversold yet to the point where constant slow speed should be the norm. There was evidence that was the case on the older Wildblue technologies, but not Exede yet.

Periods of congestion will and do continue to occur and all of us have experienced them on any number of occasions - most recently during the Christmas crunch although for some of us that may have been exacerbated by a faulty software roll-out during the holiday period (limited to users on a few select beams - advice to ViaSat; don't roll-out software updates during length holiday periods).

Going back over your posts, I've yet to see any specific details that you've provided and you seem to be reluctant (or perhaps skeptical) to provide them.

At this point your best bet is to await a response from one of the Exede moderators (ViaSat employees). They will provide a general categorized breakdown oif your usage (most find that insufficient to tame their usage). At the same time, they will be able to remotely peer into your ViaSat modem to determine whether there is an install or equipment issue. At the same time they'll be able to tell you whether you are DAPPED, but you can self-determine that by going to your account page.

If an install or equipment issue that will be addressed by ViaSat. If DAPPED the only solution is to buy more or convince ViaSat to give you more. If a data usage issue you'll likely not be satisfied with the breakdown given and you'll find some assistance here but we'll need a lot more detail than provided.

For now it seems your only complaint is what you were told by a sales rep - you won't be the first nor the last -  sales and marketing rarely represent reality these days.

Finally, perceptions based on a limited sample of the overall subscriber base are skewed in favor of those complaining (since very few come here to praise Exede). Some 2000 +/- members in this community represents a small fraction of the total subscriber base. Throw in other sites dedicated solely to venting and we're still looking at a small fraction.

P.S. The "champion" designation is meaningless for all intents and purposes. It doesn't indicate that those having it are ViaSat employees or otherwise affiliated with ViaSat except as customers either directly or indirectly as is my case. Look closely at other posts and you'll see where we dish out criticism of Exede where warranted.

P.P.S. It would also help if you could explain how you are determining that your speeds are low. If basing it on the lag before pages are displayed, that is inherent to satellite due solely to the physics involved. But that's just speculation, the more detail provided the less speculation will occur.

P.P.P.S. A better gauge of satisfaction with Exede may be the FCC's Measuring Broadband America report described and linked directly to from here:

http://www.exede.com/blog/fccreport

A bit dated but still relevant and will be interested to see a newer one when it comes along.                                        
(Edited)
Photo of John Horsman

John Horsman

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Willy. Its no problem. I was eyeing the problem literally. If there is service issues it is another matter.

I answered the questions to:

What percentage of a DOWNLOAD SPEED and an UPLOAD SPEED would have to be maintained in any twenty-four hour continuous period to meet the Download Speed and Upload Speed given on Exede's Web site for a Class 10 Plan?

How much of that percentage would have to be maintained during working hours (Say 7am to 7pm Eastern Slandered Time) ?

I interpreted it as to, "What would my speeds have to be in a 24 hour period to use the plan to 10 gigs in 31 days."

So I gave maths. If this isn’t what your not looking for, No worries, I made the mistake. (I tend to look at things weird first thing in the morning, Who needs drinking?)
Photo of WillyMcDee

WillyMcDee

• 103 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
John Horsman

John,

I keep saying how much I really appreciate the time people have taken to answer my post and really mean.  At my age i Get learning anyway I can.

As I said in another post:

I am not really interested in a math problem.  Exede says on their web site I am paying for 12Mbp download speed on a CLASS 10 Plan They also state that the download speed may very somewhat.  If the download is consistently less and Exede is aware of it then I am really not paying for a download speed of 12Mbp t. That makes the stated download speed not true.

I would be happy to pay for a consistent download speed f 2MBp as that is a lot better than I am getting Now.
Photo of WillyMcDee

WillyMcDee

• 103 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes

File id ad

Lab Rescuer

I stand corrected.

I would like to know what is considered 'Regular'. For a 100 checks in a day for example, would 'Regular' be ever time you check, 25 times you check, 10 times you check or 3 times when you check.

I would like to know how you arrived at the conclusion that there is no evidence that a beam has been saturated or overloaded to the point where is not consistent. As you pointed out that was the case in the older Wildblue technologies. Why not with the Exede technology. If the same technology was used now in the Exede system cause the same result?? When the period of congestion far outnumber the periods of good usage, What does that mean??

You are right, I haven't given any specific details. What would be the point ?? You could never if I was being truthful any I can prove weather those people that claim to receive 10 Mbp or higher on a consistent bases are being truthful. Will say that I have never exceeded my data allowance period. I have never received a speed check using their suggested speed checker higher than 2.3 Mbp and that was only a couple of times. Most of the checks were lower that. As to the install, the Exede Tech. Reported the trouble was good leaving there (a joke). They said they could see no problems from there with the equipment.

Mean while if one of the advertisements that Exede is running right now

Plan Details

EXEDE12 - 10 GB (6-MONTH PROMO 20 GB)
Now with 2X Data Allowance (20 GB total) per month for at least 6 months! This plan is great for people who need a solid connection to the Internet for basic use, including some online video. Data allowance returns to 10 GB after month 6.

20.0GB per month
Unmetered usage: 12am - 5am

If Exede corp. continues to let their sales and marking people repeat and put advertisements such as the above without taking any action to correct them, who is responsible for their accuracy ??

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
I only check my speeds when experiencing an unexpected slow down using and then use testmy.net since it also includes a graph of what others are experiencing at a point in time.

My conclusions were based upon reading the FCC's 2013 Measuring Broadband America report available at:

http://www.fcc.gov/measuring-broadband-america

Note that the 2014 report is also available now, although I have yet to read it.

At the same time they are also based on a beam classification map that was floated here several weeks ago that pinpointed as of December 1 plan availability on a beam by beam basis. At that time only two or three beams were closed to new customers.

The Big Bang Bonus Bucks promos were limited to selected beams as were the new Freedom plans - neither of these were available in other beams such as mine.

At best  this shows that ViaSat is not intentionally overloading Exede beams has been suggested, and probably represents a lesson learned from the prior Wildblue experience prior to ViaSat's acquiring Wildblue (the technologies are in fact dramatically different).

At the same time, assuming the Plan details you've posted above are for your beam (or ZIP code), it's safe to assume, your beam is not overloaded aand I have no answer to a hypothetical question.

The point of providing detail is apparently a faulty assumption on my part that you are actually interested in receiving some assistance since there are any number of individuals here that can provide that assistance including several reputable installers - if that was your installers attitude it's probably little wonder that you're having problems. However, do continue calling phone support but alternate suggestions have already been provided. FWIW, the Exede installers are not employees of ViaSat - they are independent.

As for who bears responsibility for sales and marketing hype, it's right there in your customer agreement as well as your other legal recourse:

http://www.exede.com/documents/master/customer-agreement.pdf

ViaSat, Inc.
P.O. Box 4427
Englewood, CO 80155

Old Labs (formerly know as Lab Rescuer - but I'm still me, but not Me and you'll know me if you see me.)

P.S. I suspect your next claim might be but I never signed that agreement either on paper or electronically - in that case see the mention of installer experience above.
(Edited)

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Willy, would you like us to bring ViaSat-1 back to earth for your future detailed inspection?

So help me, I still do not know what your seeking from your questions. A lot of help offers, odd-ball details covering all types of information have been presented to you.

Are you aiming to go to court, or are you looking for help concerning your slow modem speed's.

Your mention of the Exede Plan details, and how they are not accurate, what are your bone-a-fide's? Show us your speed test results. Show us you modem status details.

Prove that those advertised Classic12 - 10GB/ 20 for the first 6 mo. details are false. Show me, I'm all ears and eye's.

Or if you require hand's on inspection of the big beer can in the sky. I can have Lab fuel up his proton truck and go hook a chain to ViaSat-1, and haul it to your house. You can use ALL the beams.

Of course, you realize, this might cause a loss of connection for a short period, for you, for me, for the planet. But you will have so much beam power, it will be like emailing GOD.

Too tweak a quote from a VP candidate: "I can see ViaSat-1 from my house." And I can! I'll go to court with that fact.

So, again I ask, What's up Willy, what do you want? The truth, or fabrication?
Everett
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Willy Willy Willy - All the math in the world will not give you a "case" against ViaSat's advertising.  Lawyers much smarter than you and I have approved the wording of the contract that you signed and you get what you get, although it may not be what you anticipated.  I do agree that I am surprised that you are getting speeds consistently sub-par, assuming that you aren't DAP'd and your modem stats are at the proper levels.  FWIW, I run a speed test every Saturday morning at 08:00 and my average speed since my upgrade last May is 12.7 Mbps with a max value of 24 Mbps and a min value of 5.05 Mbps.  It may be a little OCD to check my speed that often, but then again, I check the oil level in my vehicles on a regular basis instead of waiting for the oil light to come on (I have old vehicles).
Photo of ExedeEmerald

ExedeEmerald

• 204 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
Hi Willy, I did just send you a follow up email from one of your email threads to give you an update. I look forward to speaking with you further and getting the issues you are having with your speeds resolved. =) 
Photo of WillyMcDee

WillyMcDee

• 103 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes

ExedeEmerald (Employee)

replied to this question:

Question about Download and Upload Speeds

Hi Willy, I did just send you a follow up email from one of your email threads to give you an update. I look forward to speaking with you further and getting the issues you are having with your speeds resolved. =) 

View reply

Hi Gerald,

Thank you for sending a new email with clear detail of your questions. The first question you asked about your cable I am going to do some further research into, to make sure that it will cause you no problems. If I do find out it may you will not have to pay to have that repaired, if it is needed. With your speeds that were promised, what did the representative tell you you would be receiving from us. The highest download speed that we guarantee up to is 12Mbps and upload speed of 3Mbps. While I await for a definite response on your cable please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thank you for choosing ViaSat, provider of Exede and Wildblue internet services, as your internet provider.   We appreciate your business.

Sincerely,

Exede Emerald

ViaSat Customer Care

ref:_00D70K0Rw._50070ybr3I:ref

These are the last emails that  I can find from you.  If I missed one could you resend it please.

Willy
Photo of ExedeEmerald

ExedeEmerald

• 204 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
Hi Willy, Yes, I did send you another email under Case # 00330525. I am not sure if having the case number will help at all. If you can not seem to find it, just send me a new email and I will follow up with you. =) 
Photo of WillyMcDee

WillyMcDee

• 103 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
xede Listens via 589s8gdse46.7-k0rweak.na5.bnc.salesforce.com Jan 8 (5 days ago)

to me

Gerald McDaniel,

This email is to let you know we’ve received your email about your Exede account and we’ll get right on it. We’ll contact you within 24 hours to follow up on your request. 

Description: 

I don't really know why you are confused;

Case # 00330525 dealt with the 'Cable Attenuation ' of the cable run from
the satellite dish to the modem. The Cable Attenuation of that cable was
13.3 dB as shown with the attachments that I sent with that Email. I have
seen that attenuation shown as high as 16+dB. I looked up the expected loss
of RG-6 cable and the chart said that the expected of RG-6 cable at 1Ghz
should be 6.1dB. My question is ....Will that much extra attenuation cause
any trouble ??

If you think the extra attenuation will cause trouble I would expect you to
make repairs at no cost to me as this a new installation.

Case # 00332474 dealt with the fact that the Exede Representative that I
talk greatly miss represented what I could expect as a normal data
download. If I had been told the truth about what download I could expect I
would never have signed up for the service.

My question is what will it take to get the download speed I was told by
the Exede Representative said that I would have.

Please reread the two previous Email sent to Exede my me and if you are
still confused, please send me an Email with the detail as to what is
confusing you and I will make another attempt to make it clear for you.

This is the last email I have received from you with any refernce to Case #  00330525.

If there is another please resend it.  I thought I had save all emails from Exede but it appears I must have missed one.

Willy

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
For someone so reluctant to give up meaningless information regarding their modem, what speed test they are using, etc. between this post and others you're not hesitant to provide personally identifiable information that even today's 12 year olds could use to track you down (not that I'm interested and I digress).

For what it's worth, coaxial cable attenuation is largely a function of frequency and cable length including connectors. Viasat specifies a 3GHz requirement, not 1GHz. The following will do the math for you:

http://www.net-comber.com/cable-loss.html

Just enter the cable length and scroll down to 3000 MHz column. Mine at 80 feet is pretty much spot on to that calculation within a reasonable margin of error and taking other factors into consideration (including that the modem is likely not a finely tuned precision instrument for attenuation). Mine fluctuates wildly on occasion but attribute it to how the calculation is performed by the modem.         
(Edited)
Photo of WillyMcDee

WillyMcDee

• 103 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Old Labs, Champion

. Are you only 12 years old?  You look much older in your picture.   I am sure that Exede knows my exact address.    I didn't really think anyone else cared where I Lived. 

Is that important to the problem I'm having?

I know about cable loss at a given frequency.  That is an very frequency for them to be using from the dish to a house. Are you sure about the frequency from the dish to the house?  That was the question.  The few cable loss that I've seen post would very very very good>

Willy

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Lab, ". Are you only 12 years old? " I think Willy has finally made a point here.

Some guys cable are longer than other's! ☺
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Yeah, he's got me there - but glad to see he's finally gotten around to checking whether he's dapped - not that that would be important to the problem he's having either.

P.S. As for the rest, no I'm not sure however I can say with some certainty:

At Exude, we realize how to disintermediate seamlessly. Think cross-media. Think holistic. Think 24/7/365. But don't think all three at the same time. We apply the proverb "He who laughs last, laughs best" not only to our intra-cross-media CAD but our aptitude to productize. We pride ourselves not only on our feature set, but our simple administration and newbie-proof use. We understand that it is better to unleash extensibly than to syndicate micro-iteravely. Do you have a strategy to become granular? We have come to know that if you seize seamlessly then you may also streamline virtually. Do you have a strategy to become transparent? Our interactive feature set is unmatched in the industry, but our dot-com solutions and newbie-proof operation is always considered a terrific achievement. What does the standard industry buzzword "value-added" really mean?      
(Edited)
Photo of WillyMcDee

WillyMcDee

• 103 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
That sounds like some advice I overheard an older champion giving to a younger champion something like  " If you can't  give the facts then give them lots of bs.

Willy
Photo of Julio Quesada

Julio Quesada

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I HAVE A DIFFERINT PLAN, 12:AM-5:AM IS FREE FOR ME AND I HAVE SUPERFAST UP AND DOWNLOADS AND I AM LOCATED IN AN AREA WHERE THEIR ARE NO OTHER CUSTOMERS AROUND TO SUCK UP SPEED AND DATA,HOW I KNOW THE INSTALLER SHOWED ME THE SPEC..WHEN HE INSTALLED.BUT A FASTER PC MORE L1,L2 CACHE,DDR3,DDR4 MEMORY,FASTER PROCESSOR!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.