Purple Light on modem

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Hello! So for the past hour or so my Viasat WiFi Gateway has had a solid purple light and had had no internet connection for wired and wireless connection. Is there any reason this is happening and is there any way I can fix it? Thank you in advance.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Ask Viasat (almost) Anything: Introducing Forum FAQs!.
Photo of Saoon

Saoon

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3394 Posts
  • 1273 Reply Likes
Hi Saoon

That's probably a pulsing blue light which means the modem is updating software. If this continues for more than 2-3 hours please call our team at 855-463-9333
Photo of Nick Hodge

Nick Hodge

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It is not a pulsing blue light. It is a solid purple light as indicated in the router manual. Any known fixes? Any other info I can provide. Have had issue past two days. 
Photo of Saoon

Saoon

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Viasat WiFi Gateway Stuck at Purple.

My Viasat WiFi Gateway has been stuck at purple for about an hour. Both wired and wireless connections don’t work and I’ve already tried restarting once. Is there any reason why this is happening and is there any way I can fix it? Thank you in advance.
Photo of Danielle Kelly

Danielle Kelly

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Mine has been purple for 2 days. Waiting for holiday to be over so someone can look at it.
Photo of Dio Brando

Dio Brando

• 76 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
If you could go to a browser and type in 192.168.100.1 
take a screenshot and post it here
it could let us know if there's a major issue 

have you rebooted?
Photo of Nick Hodge

Nick Hodge

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Same issue. Solid purple light, which the manual says means is "setup, ranging, Network Entry, DHCP. Have had the issue last two days. 
Photo of Brent Sturdevant

Brent Sturdevant

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have had the purple light for over 3 weeks now. We have called Viasat multiple times and they have been zero help at all. I will be disconnecting my service with Viasat and return to DSL. It was slow, but at least it was reliable. Oh, this is the second time this has happened also.
Photo of Nick Hodge

Nick Hodge

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
In my case, the dish had come out of alignment. The service tech that came out knew immediately what it was, and realigned my dish. It has been working since. The service call fee is a sham though. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 4497 Posts
  • 2750 Reply Likes
With SNR like that, shouldn't be out of alignment.

But you gave up DSL for satellite internet? Unless your name is Stephen Rice, DSL users are typically not satisfied moving to satellite.
Photo of Brent Sturdevant

Brent Sturdevant

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I did yes. Frontier's modems kept screwing up, and it grew old. The satellite speed wise is much, MUCH better. But the kids can't game online as good.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 4497 Posts
  • 2750 Reply Likes
Nope. Speed isn't everything. You have to look at latency and volume of data.

Viasat might deliver 10Mbps and your DSL might deliver just 1.5Mbps, but depending on your application, DSL is still the better service to have.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 673 Posts
  • 95 Reply Likes
@Vet

I've been switching back/forth between low latency Cellular and high latency satellite.

Cellular can be fast on some things, but very similar to satellite on others.  Viasat bundles up the web page, whereas with Cellular, each element must be fetched.

Few people use Usenet, but with Cellular on UDP traffic, its fast, whereas satellite takes a moment to deliver....several seconds, vs about now its here.

I haven't tried Viasat's web browser, but if it prevents ads/etc from being fetched, it then might fetch pages faster on Cellular.

Imho, a 5 to 7 Mbps low latency (consistent speed) DSL would be more ideal.  1.5Mbps would have buffering/etc.

Viasat's fetching tech does make a big difference.