Problem with Facebook not loading - Only Facebook!

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
Having a problem with Facebook not loading. This problem has gradually become worse with each passing week. The last couple of days only the text will load. In the afternoons we are noting a big slow down on everything but Facebook absolutely is not working all of the time for some reason. My friends are not having a problem with Facebook but I am the only one in my neighborhood using Exede so I can't check that with the neighbors. We are very careful with our usage and right now we are at 10% with 24 days to go. Usually we are at even less but I had some downloads to take care of yesterday. The problem with Facebook has become extremely annoying and I think it may have something to do with a problem on the Exede end of things. We are on the Evolution plan and have been for a long while.
Photo of R Frederick

R Frederick

• 110 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of R Frederick

R Frederick

• 110 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Update to this: I am on the phone with tech support - she doesn't seem to be able to figure it out. I tried Facebook from my husband's iPad using a different Facebook account and the problem still occurs. This is not a browser issue. It is only Facebook and only Exede.
Photo of HMC1940

HMC1940

• 605 Posts
  • 253 Reply Likes
I have had trouble with Facebook as have friends. Part of time it works but sometimes not. I think biggest problem is congestion on  Facebook. People playing games,uploading pictures, doing comments. When you think of all the people who do Facebook I'm sure it has times when gets congested.
Photo of R Frederick

R Frederick

• 110 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
No one else in my area is having a problem. Just checked on our local community forum. The others are using other servers and no one with Viasat has posted so I can't really compare but the problem doesn't seem to be that FB is slow.
Photo of Dave

Dave

• 116 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
I also have the same problems at times. I just figured it was from congestion on there end.
Photo of R Frederick

R Frederick

• 110 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
On which end David? Facebook or Exede? Do you have problems with only Facebook or with other websites as well? I am only having the problem with Facebook and only when using Exede. From what JEP had me check yesterday it doesn't appear my beam is too congested and from the feedback I received from other Facebook users in my area there was no problem with Facebook. Elsewhere in the posts below I explained that I took my computer to a neighbor's house this morning - he uses a different service. Facebook loaded without hesitation. Brought the computer home and connected here Facebook will not load.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
I also see the incomplete Facebook loads in the evening sometimes.
Check your modem status at:
http://192.168.100.1/?page=modemStatus
If you have any red marks or if your Rx SNR is less than 4 (assuming clear weather), you may have a dish alignment or some other equipment issue.
If your RL Packets Lost Percentage is greater than 5%, you may have a beam congestion issue.
(The threshold numbers I gave are somewhat arbitrary and are not based on any ViaSat standard.)
Photo of R Frederick

R Frederick

• 110 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
JEP this is what I got for the modem status:

▼   Client-Side Proxy Statistics
Status

Connected

Health

Good

FL Packets Lost Percentage 0.00% RL Packets Lost Percentage 0.00% Last Page Load Duration 7.48s

Photo of R Frederick

R Frederick

• 110 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Photo of R Frederick

R Frederick

• 110 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Also ran Speed Test twice just now - the second one reads Download 15.15 Mbps and Upload 3.10 Mbps. Seems like I should not be having a problem.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Your modem stats look very good.  Certainly don't think you have an equipment issue, at least not unless it is intermittent.  Well, like I said, I see Facebook flailing from time to time also.  Some of that it on Facebook end, sometimes I have a congestion problem (when the lost packet count is up).
Photo of R Frederick

R Frederick

• 110 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
The tech said she was writing my problem up and sending it up the line, whatever that means. If it doesn't get resolved in a day or two I will be calling again. I use FB mainly for genealogy and some local issues and contacts so it is a site that I really want to be able to access. Suppose I should try exedelistens too? Thanks for looking at the info.
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2737 Posts
  • 1717 Reply Likes
I am an Exede subscriber, and have seen this problem with Facebook not always loading some pictures. For the past two months, I have been enjoying my retired life at my lake place, using Time Warner internet service, and Facebook acts exactly the same as it did on my Exede connection. I am convinced it is a Facebook problem, and not with Exede.
Photo of R Frederick

R Frederick

• 110 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
That is strange because I've checked with all of my local friends and neighbors. I am the only one with Exede and the only one having this problem. Those with Time Warner and other servers say it is working fast. Everyone has been checking their connection for me and it is only happening for those of us in this household using Exede. I know FB has problems from time to time and I have had problems with it as well but this is different from problems I've had before. I've checked other websites that seem to have problems from time to time and all of those are working well. I have placed a report with Facebook as well as Exede. I don't know what else to do at this point.
Photo of R Frederick

R Frederick

• 110 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Thanks JEP will try that right now. The gal I spoke with at Tech Service was very nice and she did check my modem and everything that she could and saw no problem at all. We tested all the browsers - cleared things. She even had me connect my iPhone to see if that would work and it did not. She also spoke with someone else about the problem and they did not know. I will try the link you posted and will respond back with the results. I'm not very good at understanding the meaning of Rx SNR, etc. but I will post the results and perhaps someone else will know. Thanks again.
Photo of R Frederick

R Frederick

• 110 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Today I tested Facebook by taking my laptop to my neighbor's house. He uses a different internet provider. Facebook loaded blisteringly fast and all photos were there. Came home logged in to my Facebook account and the blue wheel on the browser tab is stil going round and round and no photos. I've never believed the rumors on this forum about how Exede seems to slow down certain websites and still not sure that is a valid accusation but something is definitely wrong. I feel I have tested this thoroughly to pinpoint where the problem is at. Will try calling again and hope I am not just spinning my wheels. Right now I am a bit annoyed with Exede and hope someone there will be able to understand the problem and do something about it.
(Edited)
Photo of R Frederick

R Frederick

• 110 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Well, I've been on the phone with tech support for almost an hour. Two disconnects and starting over from scratch with the third person. She has no answers and has tried to get Level 2 help. The response from someone above her was "we don't trouble shoot Apple products"....what? No one is asking for help with the computer. It is obvious it is not a computer problem. What in the world??? I am beginning to understand why people become so angry at trying to deal with problems with Exede. These responses defy logic. On hold allegedly waiting for a supervisor. Sigh, they just disconnected me again after a very long wait. I asked the last woman I spoke with to be sure she had my phone number and to please call me back if she disconnected me. I am beginning to wonder why Exede has such terrible phone service. I can bet I don't get a call back.
Photo of R Frederick

R Frederick

• 110 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
I have made one more attempt, that is to reach someone by writing to Exede Listens exedelistens@viasat.com. I truly hate having to complain like this but I don't know what else to do at this point but to try to bring some attention to the problem.

If anyone has any other ideas I would really appreciate the advice.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Grasping at straws, here.  Have you tried a different browser?  If you are using a router, have you tried a direct connection to the modem?  I am occasionally getting some hesitation in Facebook loads today also, but not that bad.
Photo of R Frederick

R Frederick

• 110 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Hi Jep - I've tried 3 different browsers - 2 different computers and an iPad running a different Facebook account. I even went so far as to create a totally different Facebook profile using an email address that is just one I keep for doing such things - it would not work either. When I took my laptop down to my neighbor's house this morning to try running Facebook from his service (different from Exede) Facebook loaded just fine on all browsers. We also ran Speedtest just for the heck of it and his download speed is showing as much slower than mine - upload speed is just a little slower than mine. The last customer service person I talked to had me do all of the usual stuff - turn off the modem and the router, etc. Nothing changes. Something really weird for the heck of it I loaded a photo from my Flickr account to Facebook and everyone else in the world can see it but anyone trying to access FB from my location using Exede. Now that is really weird!
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
The other thing that is different, is that your ping time is much higher on satellite than those folks on a terrestrial ISP.  I wonder if Facebook has some gating (intentional or incidental) that treats slow responders as second class citizens. It would be interesting to compare your experience with someone else in your area that would be using the same gateway to see if their experience is similar.
Photo of R Frederick

R Frederick

• 110 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
I don't know of anyone in my area who uses Exede. There is a wonderful local service here. I don't know exactly how it works but it is pretty much a line of sight thing. I live in a spot that is surrounded by big piles of rocks and some mountains so line of sight is difficult. I can walk down my drive to the next neighbor about a 1/8 of mile away and they can use that service. Many of the others who live in town are on Time Warner Cable. If I could possible use another service I would probably make a change - I may do some calling around tomorrow anyway to check some things out. I've been a pretty loyal Exede customer and would like to remain but this situation is worrysome. I posted to our local community forum yesterday asking if anyone had Exede and no one who has it has responded yet. If that is true of FB then they just started doing that because it worked fine for me until very recently.

I've been searching around on the Net for possible answers and came across an article, it is not recent but I wonder if it is still true about speeds being curtailed for customers who run heavy browsing sessions?

“Fair Access/Data Allowance Policy (FAP),” and an even more confusing rolling speed throttle called the “Quota Management Threshold (QMT).”  Exceeding a monthly usage allowance guarantees broadband speeds of dial-up or less.  Speeds are also curtailed temporarily for customers who run browsing sessions that consume as little as 30MB over a 30 minute period.

WildBlue's Quota Management Threshold starts reducing your speeds after a heavy browsing session.
With the help of Cisco, which created the throttled bandwidth technology, WildBlue’s combined FAP and QMT systems make it impossible for a customer punished just once by speed throttles to completely clear their record as a ‘known bandwidth abuser’ unless they avoid using any bandwidth for a month.  For most customers unequipped to fully grasp the highly technical explanations of both policies, customer service representatives boil it down to something easier to understand: the less service you use, the better the chance you will not face a speed throttle rendering your connection practically unusable.

This is very bewildering. I so appreciate your kindness in trying to help.
Photo of R Frederick

R Frederick

• 110 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
After four days FINALLY the problem seems to have been resolved. It has been a rocky ride dealing with this issue. I have no idea how the problem was fixed because no one at Exede is talking. I was supposed to call today for a status update and reached a customer service rep who obviously didn't know how to use the hold button because I heard his entire conversation with his "supervisor".

I had been asked to call today, if they did not call me first. The instructions were to request "Tech Escalations" and give the interaction number when I called in to get a status update. Instead I was given the run around and those I spoke with wanted me to rehash all of the previous things and redo any possible fixes. I remained calm but firm and said that I was only requesting a status update nothing more, everything else had been tried, tested and worked on for three days prior.

Since the phone had not been placed on hold, when the man I was speaking with asked his "supervisor" I could hear her response and one of the more snarky remarks was "Well, what am I supposed to do about it?" When the man came back on the line he was borderline rude, more so than he had been from the start. This is the attitude that has created so many problems with Exede's customer base. I am certain that it must be difficult day in and day out to try to deal with customer problems but it's your J.O.B. folks and when a customer is not being rude or abusive then it is important that you as a customer service representative remain professional.

Despite the difficulties there were a couple of customer service reps I spoke with who were very helpful. I actually got the names of two, Paige and Jenn. Jenn (I believe at the Las Vegas call center) particularly deserves a gold star, a raise and probably a promotion because she was not only very helpful and professional but she went out of her way to see to it that I received all of the assistance she could provide. Over the years that I've been with Exede I've found this to be true. The main bulk of their customer service staff seem to be ill informed and not well trained but every now and then if you call back at a later or earlier time you may find that one person who seems to really care about customers. It is very difficult to keep one's cool with some of these people especially when it becomes apparent that they are just blowing smoke to try to get rid you. Nevertheless, I think it does absolutely no good to let them get you riled. Hanging up on customers whether intentional or accidental seems to be a frequent occurrence and their reputation suffers because of it as well as the attitude of some employees.

No thanks at all to Exede Listens - I am certain they must have seen my pleas for help here on the forum because they have responded to others since I posted. I wrote Exede Listens and followed all of the steps to send in a report and no one had the courtesy to reply in any way.

Many, many thanks to the forum members who have tried to assist me, I am most appreciative.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.