Potential customer -- Freedom 150 with Boost 25

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Answered
I'm currently using an LTE router for home Internet.  Unfortunately, data caps (even on "unlimited" plans) make it unusable most months.  Cable, fiber, DSL are all unavailable in my area, although ALL of my neighbors have one of these services.  Unless AT&T or Comcast build out their infrastructure, it is unlikely I will ever have their service without a significant "construction" cost for which I will be accountable.  So, this leads me to satellite Internet.

I've heard horror stories of slow satellite Internet with data caps, but with the Freedom 150 plan with Boost 25, it seems I might have a viable solution.  I've heard ViaSat-2 has launched and will soon become available.  I've also read rumors of an unlimited option, but I do not have any details on when (if at all) that will become available.

So, if I sign up now on the Freedom 150 plan with Boost 25, will I be able to switch to ViaSat-2 service under my current contract, and/or will I be able to switch to an unlimited plan from Freedom 150?  Also, what are typical speeds in my area (30115)?  Most folks in my zip code have access to other internet options, but I understand a given beam will serve large portions of a state or more.

Thanks for your time.
Photo of JP

JP

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2117 Posts
  • 366 Reply Likes
Hi JP, Yes, service from ViaSat-2 will require new equipment.However, depending upon your location, the plan you want and some other factors, it may not be necessary for you to switch to the new satellite. In fact, once ViaSat-2 service begins we expect service levels on ViaSat-1 to improve.

(Edited)
Photo of JP

JP

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
It's my understanding that ViaSat-2 will facilitate much higher speeds up to 100 Mbps.  Is that a result of tech in the actual sat or the ability to offload congestion from ViaSat-1?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2128 Posts
  • 1127 Reply Likes
You should be able to. But like Diana said, depending on your location, you may or may not want to (or need to) do that.

What do you typical do with you internet? Exede should work for you for most applications, but if you are a big online gamer and depending on the types of games you are playing, the high latency could be a problem for you.
Photo of JP

JP

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I do a bit of everything- browsing, email, download movies and games, stream Netflix and Amazon, play online games. I understand latency will be an issue, but frankly, I have no other options. I’m trying to figure out if I sign up now whether I will be stuck on old tech.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2128 Posts
  • 1127 Reply Likes
Because Viasat hasn't announced the upcoming plans, where they will be available, etc. it is impossible to know what will be available to you in the future. You most certainly will have an option to upgrade, but again what your options to upgrade to have not been annouced.
(Edited)
Photo of JP

JP

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Another question: For large downloads >10 GB, is there an option to use non priority data? I’m thinking off peak hours over night.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1758 Posts
  • 1406 Reply Likes
The Freedom Plan has no free hours, if that is what you mean.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1759 Posts
  • 1410 Reply Likes
I don't think customers will be able to choose which sat. to be on, will they?  People will be ask to change to the new sat. on beams that are congested but I really doubt we will be able to pick the new sat, just because we want the new toy. 
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 334 Posts
  • 143 Reply Likes
I have the same 150 plan and consistently get below 2mbps on download speeds during them day. They will tell you you are getting "up to" 25mbps. As I type this my internet connection is not even available, posting by 4g hotspot from phone. My exede experiences have been mostly bad. Good luck
Photo of Greg Ritz

Greg Ritz

• 25 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Hi JP. I signed up with Freedom 150 2 months ago. I was told that the Freedom 150 was being offered in my area because there was excess bandwidth and I would have no problems streaming video. There could be a slight slow down during peak hours. 

My speeds run 12mbps at non-peak times, but less than 2 from 7pm to 10pm (when I am home and can use the service). I have to hot spot my cell to use internet in the evenings. I complained after the 1st 2 weeks of slow speed and then it improved to 6mbps during peak (worked much better) however, after a few weeks, it returned back to the slow speeds. If you sign up, it is important to know that you cannot get out of it without paying the $15/month for 24 months plus any upfront installation costs. Customer assistance is very poor. So I guess it all depends upon you location or "Beam". The best thing to do is to find some neighbor with Exceed dishes and see how they are doing.
Photo of JP

JP

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Folks.  After reading comments here and elsewhere in this and other forums, I've decided against Exede in favor of Hughes Net.  My install is today.  Thanks for all who contributed.  I hope the information here helps others make an educated decision.
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 45 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Boy, did you mess up
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 186 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
Can't give you specifics due to legal agreements. All I can say is that you'll like the new plans.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 334 Posts
  • 143 Reply Likes
I was sold a load of cheap first time. Why would I expect a different result from a company that does not live up to its own hype
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 2787 Posts
  • 1125 Reply Likes
AS fmj said, can't give details for legal reason but, I can promise that Viasat for an ISP is going to get a lot better in just a few month, as soon as Viasat 2 is online.

All I can say is that if I lived in town here and, had my choice of the land based provider that serves the closest town or Viasat when Viasat 2 is online, I'd choose Viasat, hands down because it will be better than either of the two in town providers here.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2128 Posts
  • 1127 Reply Likes
Exede has to go a long, long way to go to beat terrestrial internet, despite whatever kool aid you are drinking :).

Satellite will always be prone to weather, high latency, and doubtful they can ever offer truly unlimited internet where some people use 4TB per month.
(Edited)
Photo of Greg Ritz

Greg Ritz

• 25 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I have no idea if Hughes net will be better for him but I know Exede has been bad for me. They just did not live up to what they sold and will not let me out of the contract. I hope and pray that it does improve in a few months.
Photo of JP

JP

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
HughesNet installed. Paying for 25 mbps ang getting 49+ mobs consistently.
Photo of Greg Ritz

Greg Ritz

• 25 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
It's not the technology, it's the congestion. I get 12-15 off peak but .5 to 2 when I need it. I hope beam 312 gets unloaded with the new Sat
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 334 Posts
  • 143 Reply Likes
Me too
Photo of Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman

• 232 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes
What I get with exede is 39mhz with peaks up to 50Mhz all day every day. So unless hughesnet  has changed their plans you get 50G plan max. Its just a matter where you live
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2128 Posts
  • 1127 Reply Likes
I think what Steve is trying to say is while Hughesnet MIGHT be the best satellite internet as of today, in less than 6 months it will be outdated and surpassed by the capabilities that Viasat-2 is bringing.
Photo of Greg Ritz

Greg Ritz

• 25 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I just want something better than dial up at $100/month. Burning lots of money waiting for the improvement.