Possibly The Worst Internet

• Problem
  • Updated 2 days ago
  • Acknowledged
It is highly likely that this is the worst internet company I have dealt with, second only to Hughes Net in reliability. However, the people I would speak with at Hughes Net actually gave me answers to my questions, unlike the people I talk to with this company who give me the same answers no matter the question. I've used my data and it's going to be slow or we can't tell what device is using your data. This is ridiculous. My speeds are ALWAYS slow, whether it's the first day of the billing cycle or the last. And that's if I'm actually able to get a connection to do ANYTHING at all. I always stream at the lowest quality possible and I am never able to see a good picture. I can't do virtual classrooms in my master's classes because my connection is always lagging and getting disconnected. For the price I pay this is absolute garbage. I have run several speed tests over different periods and I get 0.69 Mbps download and 0.70 Mbps upload, 0.80 Mbps download and 0.67 Mbps upload, 1.26 Mbps download and 0.64 Mbps upload. It's insane that a company can continually get away with this for the price I pay. Satellite is my only option where I live and I teach and am in grad school so the internet is my source of work. And this service often ruins both my grades and my job. I am going to have to go over the legal page with a fine tooth comb and see what I need to do to cancel this service without paying the early fee because this is not my fault and I am fed up with it.
Photo of Candace

Candace

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 1 week ago

Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3015 Posts
  • 1927 Reply Likes
If your speeds are that low 24 hours a day, and you are not over your priority data, then you probably have a problem, like a dish out of alignment or other equipment failure.

What is your RxSNR on the modem status page? Are there any red check marks on your modem page?
Photo of Joe

Joe

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
where is the modem stauus page ?
Photo of Candace

Candace

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have no idea what any of that means, but we have called them out multiple times and they always tell us the satellite is fine.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5104 Posts
  • 3149 Reply Likes
Type 162.198.100.1 in your browser. Stats will pop up. That is what is being asked.
Photo of Candace

Candace

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
All I get when I type that into any browser I have is that it failed to open or that the page isn't working.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5104 Posts
  • 3149 Reply Likes
Sorry. 192.168.100.1
Photo of Candace

Candace

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Everything has a green check mark.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1084 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
Photo of Candace

Candace

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The video is restricted and I can't view it. But I don't know either way. We quit calling a long time ago. Every question I had gave me the same answer. I'm over my data, even if it was the first day of the cycle, they can't tell me what is using the data that they keep saying I'm using, that my equipment must be faulty but when someone came to look everything was always fine. 
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 175 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
I would venture a guess there is flat out nothing you can do, a poor beam or an area known for being overly congested. Your service sounds like my VIASAT experience for 7 years, until Verizon improved wireless service in my area.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1084 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
As Diana said, "Send an email to viasatlistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information. We're here to help."

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5104 Posts
  • 3149 Reply Likes
Sounds to me like there isn't much to be done either. Cut your losses and move on.
Photo of Candace

Candace

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I sent an email and haven't heard back. Cutting my loses would mean paying hundreds of dollars to get out of the contract so I can get something else. Even though this isn't my fault.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5104 Posts
  • 3149 Reply Likes
Well isnt it better than paying hundreds a year for unusable internet? I know it wasnt your fault but why be miserable for 24 months?
Photo of Candace

Candace

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I teach so I don't know what kind of extra money you have laying around, but I don't make it.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5104 Posts
  • 3149 Reply Likes
That's not what I am saying. If you can find a cheaper internet alternative (even the lowest cost Hughesnet plan), you would save money in the long run. Yea, you would pay a little more upfront, but your monthly bill will go down.
Photo of Candace

Candace

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
We had Hughes Net and got out of that contract early as well. They were a big problem for us and I almost had to get a lawyer because they were not upholding their end of the contract, so I did not pay to get out of it. The only other option I have is Internet through my cell phone provider, if it is available, and that plan is $15 more a month than I pay now. But it seems as though I may have to save up because I have no other choice. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5104 Posts
  • 3149 Reply Likes
Look at a prepaid wireless unlimited plan. That is what a number of posters on this forum are doing.
Photo of Candace

Candace

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
What company is that through? And do I have to have cell service with them? Because I have US Cellular, they have high speed, just not sure if I can get it here because I can't get anything else.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 175 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Verizon seems to have the best wide spread wireless coverage. You can get it without phone service, but when I added wireless internet on top of my phone it only cost an extra $38 a month. That is 15gb a month before they can slow you to 600kps. Even when I purposely went over and got slowed it was better than VIASAT usually was at full speed. It never dropped out. For the record where I was at VIASAT usually was 1mb or less even without going over the data. It always sucked.
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 312 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
That sucks , if you can get decent cell signal out where you live though you can always check on a verizon jetpack with theyre unlimited plan , certainly faster than viasat for most ppl and more reliable 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5077 Posts
  • 3135 Reply Likes
Either you are up all night or got up awful early for an 18 year old. Lol! My guess is you were up all night!

Anyhow, my wireless testing is going great. Wish I could get a little better signal. My neighbor (i.e. my parents less than a quarter mile away) have a direct line of sight to the tower and get 5 bars without an antenna. With my antenna I can get 4 bars at times. But i have had Viasat turned off now for about two weeks and i am getting along just fine. When I officially drop then, you will know!
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1081 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
@Vet

Ideally, cable length is very short without amplification...interesting DIYer project. Not the right connectors for your setup, but just an idea for MIMO. if no amp is involved.  It could make a difference if Jetpack has two TS9 ports.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 169 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
I second the Verizon Jetpack, mine works fine and I usually bounce between 0-3 bars of cell signal. Supposedly the Jetpack has a pretty strong antenna. My VIASAT experience was worse than the OP's if that is believable.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5077 Posts
  • 3135 Reply Likes
Wireless unlimited plans. Rural co-ops installing fiber. The push to improve rural connectivity

It is why the domestic satellite internet market is at a mature stage with little opportunity for growth. Just like landline telephones. Is there a need in some areas? Most certainly. Is anybody investing millions to improve and enhance the service? Most definitively not.
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes

This just now. My ping is on the high side right now but speed is awesome. This is on VZ prepaid jetpack and a pepwave surf Soho MK3. So glad I switched.
(Edited)
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Congrats! I have lots of questions... Do you have the Verizon prepaid SIM card in your Pepwave soho MK3 ? Or are you feeding the Pepwave from your Jetpack via a usb cable? and what antenna are you using? And how far away is the tower?
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I have the sim card in my 8800l. It is connected to the MK3 with USB and also a secondary wifi as wan on 5 GHz. Then I have a ATT iPad account sim in a Netgear LB1120 connected by Ethernet on the wan as my 3rd. I do have to reconnect it some. But it will switch between the USB and the wifi as wan on 5 GHz. I don't have any antenna on either the 8800l or the lb1120. I did have a cheap mimo on the lb1120 which was negligible. Signal is not great but my tower must be good. It is within sight of I85 at the 4 mm so I figure it is a good tower. according to open signal tower is over 4500m away - which I assume is meters so about 2.8 miles. Must be a great tower.
(Edited)
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 169 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Wow Kay, that is insane speed. I am about the same distance from a tower and my Verizon Jetpack maxes out around 15mps. I figure all towers aren't created equal and the strongest ones are along the interstates. I am 8 miles from 1-95 in Central Va so I don't ping off of any of those towers. Maybe I should go borrow a lap top and park next to I-95 and see what I get.
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2311 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Candace, Let us take a look at your account to see what we can find. There are so many reasons for slow speeds. As Steve mentioned, it could be your equipment. Send an email to viasatlistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information. We're here to help.
Photo of Candace

Candace

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I sent an email and have not gotten a reply.
Photo of Candace

Candace

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Finally got a reply, same as always. I'm over my limit but my new billing cycle starts tomorrow. But it's been slow since the first day of the cycle. I'm never asked that.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 86 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Should have purchased your system from a local dealer, you would have a local office & tech to seek advice from.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5108 Posts
  • 3150 Reply Likes
I don't disagree, but I wouldn't trust my local dealer to give me a free car. Like everything, there are good ones and bad ones.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 175 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
I see a thread got locked that had a lot of negative comments about poor service. I can see VIASAT needing to go into over drive to try to scrub the internet of negative press due to recent developments.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5108 Posts
  • 3150 Reply Likes
They run the board. It is their prerogative. All one has to do is search Viasat on the internet and there is plenty to read about them. All that info cant be scrubbed.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 175 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
I do see a lot of obvious shill sites from people selling VIASAT acting like they are just providing unbiased opinions of satellite services and other rural options. If enough of those pop up and get traffic the bad press sites will get pushed back from the front pages. That is the equivalent of scrubbing as most people don't read much past the first page or two of results.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
VeteranSatUser. How are you? How is your verizon jetpack working out? I have been playing with mine and I am about 4 miles away (as the crow flys) from my nearest cell tower... but unfortunately there is a ridge between the tower and my place... so even with my 8800L and a Yagi style antenna and a signal booster my RSRP is about -90 and my SNR flucatues between -0 and maybe 13... I'm still trying figure a way to get a better signal... But I am still getting around 4mbps down and 5 or 6 mbps up.... Light years better than Viasat at peak times of the day... Hoping that it is consistent...  

(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5108 Posts
  • 3150 Reply Likes
Your signal strength is still better than mine, so I am surprised at your speeds.

I consistently get speeds better than what Viaaat delivers. The combination of low latency and better performance makes a difference. Moving to wireless will also save me around $30/month.

It didn't have to be this way, but since Viasat didn't care about a segment of its customers and opted to basically force them off the plans they had, I had to look at alternatives. For that, I thank them!
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3015 Posts
  • 1927 Reply Likes
@panahead, your latency seems very high for a wireless connection. Mine is generally in the 30 to 50 ms range. Do you normally see the latency that high?
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, re latency.... yes and no... right now... Monday morning... 6:45am... low latency and higher speeds... during congested times... 4 to 10pm... I see higher latency and lower speeds? the weather is simular? not really sure why? and what causes it?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5108 Posts
  • 3150 Reply Likes
My wireless latency runs about 150ms. My speeds ate similar.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 175 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
My wireless latency is usually 40ms or lower and I am 3 miles from a tower, heavily wooded, but fairly flat. When I get the occasional 150ms +, it is time to reboot the Jetpack which is needed once a week or so.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
PS... I took my 8800L close to the tower... once at 7:30 am on a Monday moning.. and again at around 2pm Monday afternoon... and my speeds were still under 10 down and 10 up... so my guess is that the tower doesn't have a lot of bandwidth to give? I was told that the tower is fed it's signal from a micro wave repeater system....
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1085 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
@Panahead

Take a tower photo....and post at DSL...Microwave setup would be analogous to this...those round antennas:

Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
@ Jab... unfortunately I can't physicaly see the tower... the road that leads to it is private... I will work on getting a photo... but I am fairly certain that it is fed via microwave.. numerous people have told me that.. plus I think that the phone lines or supplied the same way... it is supposed to be beamed up to a ridge and then relayed down to the tower..
(Edited)
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 175 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
I don't have a laptop and can't stand them, but I would be curious to take one close the the local tower and speed test my Jetpack. I get a max of about 15mps down 3 miles from a tower and on a 2 bar signal strength. If I sit 200 yards from the tower I get 5 bards on my phone and the Jetpack. Guess I could get my GF to bring her laptop and we could do a test.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1085 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
@Panahead

If someone on a postpaid account could test their speed, this might be enlightening.  A microwave backhaul can do from 155Mbps to 1-4Gbps....all depending upon how many towers are required to reach fiber.

In other words, maybe your 8800L unit might be a lemon...or one is not on prepaid unlimited, maybe older tower equipment, or maybe a VZW network programming SNAFU.  Going to a larger city can rule out a 8800L lemon.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
  • @Jab I have taken the 8800L unit to other locations and gotten up to 150mbps down... here is a test from last night on the highway near lost hills ca...
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5108 Posts
  • 3150 Reply Likes
That is crazy!
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1085 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
I-5 accounts for your high DLs/ULs....move there...problem solved:-)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1085 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
@Panahead

An antenna search might be done...off hand, there appears to be lots of antennas in your area, but without a specific address, I can't sort them out.  Only way to be sure about a tower's location is via using signal strength....but, wireless carriers do have an obligation to respond to 911 calls, if their equipment supports cellphone freq used.  I know my Samsung S8 will scan for available frequencies....hence, confirm VZW's tower location...hearsay, is hearsay..
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
thanks... The 3 mile radius search shows no towers and 4 antennas... the 4 antennas are all on the same property and are south of me.. my antenna is pointed north to the cell tower that is 4 miles away.. I have included the info on the antennas...
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5108 Posts
  • 3150 Reply Likes
Check Dslreports.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1085 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
@panahead

I don't know your local addresses...where ever that VZW tower is located, I would use a nearby address.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
@Jab... There are LOTS of Towers and Antennas on that same hill as the Verizon tower... so... what does that mean for me and my antenna and reception? and I have downloaded the tower and antenna info on a .CSV file but not sure that I can post that here?
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5108 Posts
  • 3150 Reply Likes
Panahead. Go to Dslreports
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
VeteranSatUser thanks... I have a post going there already... Remote area, VWZ 8800L, Yagi antenna, booster amp, slow speed  under Verizon Wireless... but should probably add the tower and antenna info...
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5108 Posts
  • 3150 Reply Likes
I am aware. If you go there I have been trying to help you!
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1085 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
@panahead

In short, I'm not seeing a reference to VZW, but their equipment could be on a AT&T tower.  As noted,  if other freq bands are being directed to your dwelling that your booster senses, then the booster's output power is reduced.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
gotcha... Geez.. I can be slow... Now I see what you are saying... single band antenna might be a better deal? and the booster... Thanks Doc...
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1085 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
@panahead

If Google Earth is used, I suspect those towers could be seen clearly....your distance to your dwelling could be determined, and elevations could also be seen.  If more info is needed to do this, send a message at DSL.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Thanks.. I have used google earth and determined that I am just over 4 miles from the towers.. and I am aprx. 500’ higher in altitude..
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1086 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
But, did you see land elevation profile between tower and your dwelling

Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
@Jab... Thanks for the tip! Here is a path with the elevation changes.. you can see one range BARELY blocking my view of the tower... my place is higher than the tower... 4.65 miles straight..

(Edited)
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 175 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
@Panahead, That is some mighty nice real estate you have there.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1086 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
@panahead....one could register with this site, and use this URL for getting back to "
LinkCalc" page.  I would use Google PtP Mode, and exact coordinates will have to be used.  I don't believe AT&T's tower coordinates are correct.  If I knew coordinates (via private message at DSL), I could do a linkcalc.  Off hand, I'd say there is no line of sight...one might try tilting the Yagi a pinch upwards, and see if signal strength improves.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Thanks... I will work on getting the exact coordinates of the tower... but I agree that I don’t think that I have line of sight... I can’t see the lights of the hotel
That is nearby... and I did tilt the antenna up a tad and it did improve my speeds a bit...
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5109 Posts
  • 3150 Reply Likes
Still havent checked DSLreports...
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 241 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
this is another good site for looking at link path https://link.ui.com