Possible Apps That Could Be Causing Data Usage

• Idea
  • Updated 6 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Idea acknowledged. No need for further response at current time.

I've been trying to run down possible programs that could be using up my data. This last batch of apps I uninstalled (Dropbox and LogMeIn) seems to have solved my problem. I use Dropbox but I haven't added anything to it in a long time so I don't understand why it would keep using up data. It also could be LogMeIn but I think this is unlikely.
Photo of Chris Milton

Chris Milton

• 21 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Exede Lizz

Exede Lizz

• 83 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I have never used either program, but I know with some of my editing software they automatically update which requires the internet.
Photo of Chris Milton

Chris Milton

• 21 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Dropbox is a popular cloud storage service. LogMeIn is a remote computer access program. They are the company that does the join.me site.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
I wonder how often Dropbox syncs and if it only uploads new stuff when it does. I wouldn't logmein would use date unless you are allowing access. Are you familiar with Networx? It may help you determine what is eating your data.
Photo of Roadrunn3rr50

Roadrunn3rr50

• 28 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Also, here is something that may be culprit too, but not sure. I know for a fact that networks and their respected gateways serve a function as the choke point for data, an depending on the system being used, use different methods, for example, when data is sent by the subscriber(that would be me) the data is divided up into the nice little packets of information and wrapped up in, let's call it a digital box just like the post office uses when sending in the mail, and just like sending in the mail, theses packets also have address labels and other pertinent information so that the packets get to exactly where you send them, and they are sent to the gateway then stripped of this information and repackaged, then sent on to the destination where the data is viewed and and any data that is commanded to be sent back is then packaged up again like what the subscriber sent and the process starts all over again, and this is done on a level of microseconds if not seconds, I'm sure there is a name for this action, but it escapes me at this time. Now, this digital box is information, and information on the internet for all intensive purposes is data, every gateway, depending on the programmed action uses different addressing methods. I hope that folks can understand what I'm getting at, this "extra" data that is added by the network is nothing small to laugh at, the size of this data is almost directly proportional to the data sent. Is this making any sense....maybe these satellite transmission networks require this in order to execute these extremely high rates of broadband speed, I don't know, but it's just a though, I would be very dismayed at the prospect that every 1mb. Of transmission that I am sending has an added 1 or 2 mb. That are also being counted against my actual data that I am using as viewable data, wouldn't you? If this is the case, I hope that Exede I isn't making me pay for this extra data, other companies like Verizon count only actual viewable data used and not service data used in the commission of providing the service, does this make sense to anyone? Let me know, if this is sounding like I am high or something, thanks
Photo of Achim Enssle

Achim Enssle

• 65 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
very valid point...
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3162 Posts
  • 2034 Reply Likes
I believe that you are trying to make something out of that which does not exist. I measure my data, incoming and outgoing, before it goes through the Exede modem, and my numbers daily, and monthly, agree within less than 1 percent. Websites do increase the amount of data sent depending on the speed of the connection, therefore what you might measure via a Verizon connection through a smart phone will be significantly less than that which is sent through your Exede connection. Ads, flash data, movie clips, resolution of the data is adjusted depending on the speed of the connection. Exede is not multiplying your data used for their benefit, you are actually using the extra data yourself.

This has been discussed many times in the other Wildblue Worldwide Forum.
Photo of Achim Enssle

Achim Enssle

• 65 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
well, it makes not much sense. And i'm totally with Roadrunner! How would you feel if you go to Starbucks and buy a Coffee for let's say $3 and then they charge you another $3 if you go to the Bathroom? well they would charge you even not goin'!
I can't Download without upload can i....Duh!!! again 10gigs was adequate in the late 90' !
Photo of Roadrunn3rr50

Roadrunn3rr50

• 28 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Ty

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.