Poor Experience with Customer Support and Website

• Problem
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Problem acknowledged. Email provided for assistance. No need of further response at current time.

I've had Exede for 16 months and I've always been unimpressed anytime I called.  We've had to crank up the service levels to the highest available and at $160 a month, I'd expect better service.  Examples:
1.  You can't update your personal details on-line.  Phone number should be easy to change.
2.  There seem to be multiple entities under the banner of ViaSat and each have different software and unintegrated systems.  Having worked in the software business many years, that's management's failure to invest properly in software (too cheap to do it right).
3.  Performance with TCP intensive apps (chatty apps) is poor.  The 800 ms latency times kills a chatty app.
4.  you can't see data usage by day.  I know customer service reps can as one shared data with me on one occassion.  Why not share it with users (again, poor management and taking the cheapest option every time).

Today, we received the "you're out of data" (with ten days left) and I used the email to hit the "call" button and got somone named Sard (or similar) with SLV1685 as his number.  He is just plain awful.  Having had large customer service groups report to me in the past, I aggressively removed people like this, but Exede seems to do the opposite.

Why doesn't the automated system pass information (phone number - which I can't change - pass code, etc) to the customer service tech.  It's the sign of a poor system (and feeble management) again that you have such customer-arrogant systems.

I think I have a solution now that 4G LTE is around and available.  I'm going to acquire one of the MyFi boxes and if that works like I think it will, good bye Exede and I'll advise anyone and everyone I know to do the same.

Exede = high price, mediocre performance and terrible support.
Photo of Jim Christie

Jim Christie

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
I agree that CS reps are hit and mis with Viasat, at least for home internet customers. I talked to Andrew on the phone to change how my Excede Voice number was listed, he was great. I talke to Mitchell in chat, never did get my question answered in a way I could understand (it was a yes or no question and, I got some long explanation I don't fully understand and don't need instead of a simple yes or no.)

Some reps are good, other just read the script then make things up to get customers off the phone. Things they have tried on me.

Satellite is broken, someone is going to fix it. (Do you have space shuttles now?)
Bad Weather at gateway. (No I know my gateway and, I do have DTV so I can see the weather is clear there.)

There are more, but some of the reps do simply make things up to get persistent customers off the phone instead of admitting they don't knw why it isn't working.

Photo of Jim Christie

Jim Christie

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I've accomplished a permanent solution to Exede.  AT&T has been installing better and better 4G LTE towers in our rural area (others probably will too over time but right now AT&T has the best where we are).  They sell MyFi boxes.  These turn 4G signals into WiFi within our house.  We've bought 2 of the boxes, installed one each in our property buildings and increased our overall data plan to 40 GB.  The net cost is about what we were paying for Exede but now we have a lot more data.  It's hooked up and running.  Performance is about the same - in some cases better - and certainly no worse than what we had with Exede.  We have twice the monthly data allowance.  And we have data monitors on our iPhones that we can track the usage daily.  Same price, better performance, double the data capacity and we don't have to deal with Exede CS.  Ironically, when I called to cancel, Carolyn was probably the best CS rep at Exede (at least in our experience).  If you have 4G in your area (with any carrier), talk to them about a MyFi box.  You may well find the same solution to the Exede arrogance.  Good riddance.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
Well I'm glad you have an alternative. I don't since my (or any cell phone that has ever been here) has to be in a small area out behind my house to even send an SMS message, cannot send photos at all and, cannot place or receive voice calls at all. No internet on the phone here, the page simply tries then claims it can't load. Of course that is expected when the signal claims 0 bars but will send a SMS in that one little area outside.

Overall I'm content with Excede, it beats Wildblue (Legacy) and really beats dial up. I have had a few bad or simply not knowledgeable CS reps but, I've spoken to some good ones as well. One lousy installer did come out on a service call, but the others have been good and, one was exceptional so, it balances out.
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Jim,

I'm here to help!  It looks like you need access to your online account, with a possible mini tour.  I can also provide you with tips on how to maximize your data. Please send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your telephone number and the best time to call.  Thanks.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.