poor speeds

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Is anyone else as depressed as me for getting this horrible service 400kbs at 330 on a monday what a crock I will do everything in my power to leave bad reviews. shame on you excede
Photo of Craig Moha Qauid

Craig Moha Qauid

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • angry

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1561 Posts
  • 708 Reply Likes
What plan are you subscribed to?

Craig Moha Qauid

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
unlimited 245mbs
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 878 Posts
  • 266 Reply Likes
Well you got the pic right anyhow.
Photo of Anthony

Anthony

• 27 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Honestly, does it really matter what plan he's on? Even the slowest plan a 400kbs speed isn't acceptable service.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3087 Posts
  • 3030 Reply Likes
Yes, actually it does matter. Some people are still on Classic Plans having a hard data cap and are severely throttled to even less than 400 kbps when they exceed their data cap - usually at most 256 kbps as I recall having experienced it once and it stays that way for the remainder of their month unless they buy more.

Similarly, the Liberty Plans can experience those same slow speeds when on Liberty Pass. Even Unlimited plans can experience those slower speeds if you exhaust your priority data. For Liberty and Unlimited, those cases are generally found to be during peak usage periods.

However, if Craig hasn't hit the prioritization threshold then those speeds would indeed be unacceptable (assuming he meant Unlimited Silver 25 Mbps). If so, he should contact customer support or go the Viasatlistens route.  

Stephen is trying to determine the circumstances. The question should more specifically be: what plan and where do you currently stand in regard to that plan's data allowance policy?  
(Edited)

Craig Moha Qauid

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
customer support says its just a busy period

Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3087 Posts
  • 3030 Reply Likes
Use the viasatlistens approach if not satisfied with customer support's explanation - it's a different channel.    
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1561 Posts
  • 708 Reply Likes
400k is acceptable depending on what plan he is on.  Liberty plans frequently run at 256k during Primetime if you have already used your priority data.

The Freedom 150 plan crawls as well after you have used 150 GB of data.  It is designed that way.

The older plans work that way as well.

The plan he is on makes a huge difference.  If he is on an unlimited plan and isn't getting at least a few mbps there is a problem somewhere.

Issue could be with his modem, wifi,  a poorly pointed dish, or even the computer/device he is connecting to the internet with.

Craig, have you tried restarting your modem?  If you are connecting to internet via wifi, have you tried plugging a network cable directly into the router and checking speeds that way?

If things work good when connected directly to the modem with an ethernet cable, you know there is an issue with the wifi modem.  Viasat has a firmware update that is supposed to fix those issues.

Let us know what you find out.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1561 Posts
  • 708 Reply Likes
Old Labs brings up a good point about the unlimited plans and the 150 GB threshold.  I could see speeds dropping that low if he has gone over 150 GB.  If he hasn't gone over 150 GB, 400k is indeed too slow and the original poster should reference the advise I posted above.

Threatening to sue and call the FBI gets nothing accomplished.  Coming here and asking for help does get stuff accomplished.

For many people, the only other options for internet are Hughesnet and 56k dialup.  I keep getting advertisements from Hughesnet and what they have to offer is very laughable.  

My guess is that Hughesnet is really scared of Viasat 2 going live and wants to lock in as many 2 year agreements as they can before Viasat starts taking all the new subscribers.
(Edited)

Craig Moha Qauid

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Just exactly what am I paying for 191.68 Kbps.

191.68 Kbps is unacceptable has been this way for hours. Customer Service just says a busy stream!!!!! 
Photo of Anthony

Anthony

• 27 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I have a solution for you. Once it gets to be around 3 p.m. Use your phone as a 4G mobile hotspot and connect all your devices to it. That will give you about 10 times more speed at around 2Mbps and when you're on the internet it's moving so fast it makes you forget you're getting bent over.

Unfortunately that's the only advice that we can give you. If that don't work for you go out to your local Walmart and get a big bottle of Vaseline
(Edited)
Photo of Mark here

Mark here

• 69 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
I'm using my US Cellular hotspot to even access this page due to Viasat being down. This is what I was getting earlier on my Liberty plan after I used up my "Priority Data". I am the only one on this system and even when I have priority I only stream at 360 to conserve and this is what I get for over $80.00 per month? It's bullsh$t!
Speed Test Result
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1668 Posts
  • 1344 Reply Likes
You keep on posting this.  Tell everyone you are also over your Data cap.

"This is what you get when your over your cap, unusable BS!"

Stay under your Priority Data.  Simple.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1559 Posts
  • 707 Reply Likes
Liberty 12 works fine for me. I still have almost 9 GB of priority data left for the month.

Thanks to the late night free zone, I've used a grand total of 18.2 GB so far this month.

(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3087 Posts
  • 3030 Reply Likes
Last time I saw a graph like that, I was in the emergency room and wound up having a quad bypass - thanks for the memories ;) 
Photo of Mark here

Mark here

• 69 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Ok, my Viasat has been down all day, I am hoping it's do to all the shuffling they are doing moving traffic off of Viasat 1 to Viasat 2. So Jim are you saying that it's ok to not have a usable connection after you go over your cap? I am very conservative when it comes to my network usage. I have listened and tried many things I have learned from you guys and it has helped to bring down my numbers and for that I am grateful, I am knowledgeable as far as having my local network working at its peak, I disconnect my devices from the network when I am not using them (most of the time ;-)  I am the only person on my network. I also only stream at 360 when I am on "priority". I feel I am doing my part to keep congestion down. Yes the ONLY reason I have satellite is that (like most others) I am limited due to my rural location and yes I am aware of the contract wording. I feel that for the $80.00 plus dollars I pay every month I should get a solid 1mb connection after I have exhausted my "priority data" I also feel its corporate greed that drives Viasat to oversell their beams to the point of being useless. I can only hope the powers that be do the right thing and give us "little people" a service worthy of the money spent..... that's it, that's all (for now)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1559 Posts
  • 707 Reply Likes
If it's primetime, yes, it's okay to not have usable speeds after using your priority data. Viasat does not advertise the Liberty Pass as providing 1 mbps during primetime. Speeds above 1 mbps are advertised as being in the early morning and day.

When I am on the Liberty Pass during primetime, my speeds are usually around 256k. Sometimes a bit faster sometimes much slower. It's a tradeoff I am willing to accept for virtually unlimited data from midnight to 5 pm with speeds ranging from 1 to 5 mbps. If you want more, pay for more. I'm very happy with what I get for $60.99 a month.
Photo of Mark here

Mark here

• 69 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Yeah, you wouldn't hear me complaining if I got what you have either, but I don't! I also pay more. Interesting your "Liberty Pass" time is much more reasonable than mine also. Midnight to 5 pm? a typo? Below is what I have.

Liberty 25 + Free Zone
  • How fast

Up to12
    Mbps

• How much

GB/mo.

• 3 AM - 6 AM

• Bonus features:

Liberty Pass lets you enjoy 1-5 Mbps download speeds (morning/daytime) after Priority Data is used.
    The Video Data Extender saves your data by streaming video at DVD quality, optimized for 480p.

Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3087 Posts
  • 3030 Reply Likes
Stephen is referring to the hours during which he typically experiences acceptable Liberty Pass speeds - typically midnight to 5:00 PM in his service area (or beam).

He too has a Free zone from 3 AM - 6 AM during which data does not count against your prioritization threshold.

Results currently vary widely by beam - in my service area on a Liberty Plan it's usually 0500 - 1530 before Liberty Pass speeds drop below 1 Mbps (frequently 256 kbps).

This is why many of us are deferring a move to the new plans - we're waiting to see if Viasat-2 yields lower overall usage and releif for those choosing to remain on Viasat-1. Give up your Liberty (or Freedom) and you won't get it back - in more ways than one. 
(Edited)