Pole Mount Install

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I have an installation coming soon, it will be a pole mount install (I rent and cannot mount on house), will a concrete base for the pole be part of the install?
Photo of Barry B Bell

Barry B Bell

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of James Billinger

James Billinger

• 153 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
No I believe not cause I have mine on pole as well and there were no concrete just put in the groud
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 550 Posts
  • 392 Reply Likes
If that's actually the way it was installed you need to contact Viasat and get the install redone. 
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 550 Posts
  • 392 Reply Likes
The pole needs to  to be at least 36" in the ground, have an anti rotation device and at least 150 pounds of concrete. Do a search for Viasat pole install requirements
(Edited)
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1756 Posts
  • 1069 Reply Likes

Yes but that is not a "Standard" install.  It will cost about $185 more out of your pocket, unless you have it already done when they get there.  Schedule 40, 1-1/2" conduit works well (1.9" O.D.).  Must have proper clear view south and up, to have an un-obstructed view of the satellite your dish will be aimed at.  Cut it off so it is no more than 7' out of the ground or the installer will be ticked that he/she has to use a ladder to mount the dish to the pole.  Bury end of pipe 2-3 feet down for stability, add concrete as needed.

(Edited)
Photo of Kevin

Kevin

• 51 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
I just had service installed last Saturday. I will say this that is good! I had a pole installed and concrete and no extra charge. I was told it was a standard install.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1756 Posts
  • 1068 Reply Likes
Kevin...

You had a very generous installer.

Photo of Kevin

Kevin

• 51 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Probably. I found it shocking as well.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1154 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
5' above ground is minimum height, last I knew.

They do have a concrete block assembly setup, but I think this is for roof mounts, like maybe on flat roofs..

Myself, I would not go this path: Installing Consumer-Owned Antennas and Satellite Dishes
Photo of Barry B Bell

Barry B Bell

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I would like to thank everyone who responded to my question.
Photo of Ginger Hess Repsher

Ginger Hess Repsher

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
When I called to order the service I asked if a pole mount was considered standard installation. I informed the person I didn't want the dish on my house or garage roof. She stated a pole mount is standard. Jose just charged my husband $40. in cash. He's lucky I wasn't home or he would have been sent packing. I called customer service and the installer can charge me what ever he wants.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3170 Reply Likes
A pole mount is never standard installation and costs extra $$$$.

Your call should be recorded. I would contact customer support and ask them to review it to see what was said.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
That's not what the web site says:

https://www.exede.com/satellite-installation/

* No charge for pole mounts on service ordered directly from Viasat through our toll-free number or online order form.
Also according to Diana some 5 months ago:

https://community.viasat.com/viasat/topics/paying-installer-for-pole-mount

No more clear now what the policy is than it was then - I read it as if ordering from a dealer directly charging is fair game ;)

A review of the sales call may be in order.... or at least the right hand should be introduced to the left.

(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3170 Reply Likes
The question is, was it installed in the middle of the driveway!

Ginger Hess Repsher

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Might as well have been. It's a foot from the edge of the road. 1 snow storm. 1 plow truck. Good bye dish good bye pole.

Ginger Hess Repsher

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Ginger Hess Repsher

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I've called. If it gets destroyed. I didn't put it there.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1153 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Be thankful one of these was not installed there:-)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3170 Reply Likes
That will get hit for sure!
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Oh lawd, I hope Corporate sees this and finds out who did that - no, just no.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3170 Reply Likes
One drunk driver. One snow plow driver. One group of teen agers.

Endless opportunities!

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
The trash hauler in my area would come by weekly and yank it out (and put it back) with his "claw" on the side of the truck. Trash disposal and dish alignment all in one convenient weekly stop...

(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3170 Reply Likes
Might need Easycare for a realignment though.

Ginger Hess Repsher

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
$95 and easy care will relocate it. I'm ready to rip it out and throw it at them. This company is a ripoff
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
No, it's 95 OR easy care, not both. Get Easy Care and you don't pay the 95.00 service call fee because you pay a small amount on your bill each month to cover needed service calls instead.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1636 Posts
  • 982 Reply Likes
Wow.  That's really close to the road.  It would get killed by a snowplow during its first winter, here.  

Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3382 Posts
  • 1271 Reply Likes
oh my! Yeah go ahead and email us at viasatlistens@viasat.com with this photo (we get a lot of emails so we'll need a reminder). We'll get this sent up and try to remedy it. I'm confused over the placement as well
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3035 Posts
  • 1948 Reply Likes
Ginger's dish installation ranks right up there with the one a few years ago mounted to a tree. Ginger's installer needs to be reprimanded, and Ginger deserves a proper installation at no charge to her.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1636 Posts
  • 982 Reply Likes
A tree install?  Now that's just plain nuts!  

I hope Ginger sees the reply from Brad so that she can get it installed properly.  
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3382 Posts
  • 1271 Reply Likes
Are there trees in the front that would have blocked the line of sight? 
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3170 Reply Likes
Yes there was a dish installed on a tree. Believe somewhere in Tennessee it was.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
The tree fell over in a storm; the installer came out to check and is waiting for another tree to grow before the subscriber's service can be restored - he's on the hibernation plan for now.

But Brad's question may suggest the reason for the pole mount placement shown here - those trees and LOS ...
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1636 Posts
  • 982 Reply Likes
ROFLMAO!!!!  More like the germination plan!  :)  
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 158 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
If that was installed on a State Route here in Georgia, it would be considered right of way encroachment and have to be removed.
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 158 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
If that was installed on a State Route here in Georgia, it would be considered right of way encroachment and have to be removed.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1153 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
RE: installed on a State Route here in Georgia

Interesting thought, but in many rural locations I'm aware of, US Mail requests/demands where mail box is installed, and I've seen many installed on roadway's right of way.

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1636 Posts
  • 982 Reply Likes
Tis why I have no mailbox now.  It was supposed to be so close to the road and at such a height, and a snow plow took it out.  LOL.  Not directly, but by the snow it was throwing from its blade.  It was just too much and it snapped that 4x4 post like a toothpick.  Granted, I had installed it a few years prior and it did just fine through three or four winters, but it was a bad one that year and we had a LOT of snow.  I pay for a box at the post office now.  :( 
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1153 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
RE: Tis why I have no mailbox now

If photo is examined, there is a mailbox there on "roadway's right of way."

I'm not going to blame installer...considering those trees in background, someone needed to saw one/two down.  I'd like to hear the other side of this story.

I got trees also, and installer indicated I might have to cut one down, with time.

Ginger Hess Repsher

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
He was told I'm not cutting trees down. Yes that is a mailbox and where the postal service says I have to put it. The dish is not in a safe location. My mailbox has been taken down plenty of times by a plow truck. You put it back up or buy a new one then move on. If I were the installer I would of denied the customer service and called my superior.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
USPS regulations dictate where a mailbox should be placed. State, county and local (and even HOA) regulations where applicable dictate what may be placed there and how it must be placed. Most automatically cover mailboxes and adhere to the DOT's guidelines, which state for safety reasons it is desirable that all mailboxes be mounted on supports that yield or collapse when struck by an out-of-control vehicle.

That's why road sign posts are collapsible (i.e perforated metal that is flexible) or have break-away construction at the bases - not sure I'd mount a satellite dish on one of those - if you've ever seen one of those flapping in a stiff breeze like something out of Close Encounters.

In Virginia you can't even place one of those "high speed internet" or "work from home" in the right of way along a state road without being subject to a hefty fine for each instance - we enforce it too at least in my area. As I recall it was $1000 per instance. You continue to see them but they're well back of the road side beyond the ROW and you can barely read them. There are some exceptions with a permit.   
(Edited)

Ginger Hess Repsher

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
There are trees. But there are other places it could have been put. If not. Then I should have been denied service. This is an unsafe location for that dish. It's going to be destroyed with the first plow truck that goes by. I sent an email as suggested. I'm not impressed with this company at all.

Ginger Hess Repsher

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
There are trees. But there are other places it could have been put. If not. Then I should have been denied service. This is an unsafe location for that dish. It's going to be destroyed with the first plow truck that goes by. I sent an email as suggested. I'm not impressed with this company at all.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3169 Reply Likes
Has nothing to do with the company. It was an independent installer that decided where to place it. But I agree, that close to the road is NOT a good location.

Nevertheless, I question now with you will ever be happy with Viasat. I would email Brad like he said and see if you can get out of everything altogether.

Ginger Hess Repsher

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I did email Brad. I have a move scheduled that was set up with customer service. I however have to pay for it to be moved. That's why I'm not impressed.

Ginger Hess Repsher

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I also asked of I could get out of this. Which I really didn't want to. And was told...sure for $360.

• 3029 Posts
  • 1936 Reply Likes
I do not understand why you would have to pay to have the dish moved. The installer did not do the install properly. Viasat should waive any charges to move the dish.

Ginger, you should be disappointed in that decision.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1622 Posts
  • 968 Reply Likes
You shouldn't have to pay for it, and though I can't speak for Brad, I think that, by what he said, he meant getting it remedied without cost to you.  Again, I don't know that's what he meant for sure, and I don't speak for Brad, nor ViaSat, but I don't think you should have to pay for it.    

The installer should have known better, especially with you living in a place that will have snowplows going by.  If your snowfall and snowplows are anything like where I live, that dish wouldn't last the winter.  The snow being thrown from the plow blade would damage it irreparably.  
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
I agree. @Brad, please get the charge waived for this one. I know it was the installer, not Viasat themselves but, that installer needs a corporate lecture and some re-education.

Cut Ginger a break, or pop Easy care on her for 3 month free trail or something, please?

@Ginger Hess Repsher Not that I have any influence whatsoever with Viasat but, I know that Brad, Diana, David, Alex and the rest of the Denver team that frequent this forum are all good people and, they do try to take care of things like this, when they can - they have policies to follow and, superiors to answer to but, they really do try.

Maybe a bit of begging will help :)

• 3029 Posts
  • 1936 Reply Likes
By the looks of the picture, it looks like the cable from the dish to the house has not been buried, but is laying on top of the ground right next to the driveway.

This certainly violates the Viasat standards for installation. That is a disgusting  installation, and Viasat needs to make it right for Ginger.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3169 Reply Likes
Excellent catch! He did put the loop in for rain drip though.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
I'm sure they will. They don't take lightly to bad installers. I had one come here, reported the whole fiasco, that one got a bit of talking to and some re-education, came back a couple of months later, much improved. All cleaned up, proper identification and, did the job properly without being a jerk about it like he had the first time.

first time he made me very uneasy, I didn't trust the guy at all. Second time he was the consummate professional, he learned and, all of his customers are happier for it, or so he tells me now - we ended up becoming casual friends. He's in one of my hobby clubs now so I still talk to the guy - even after I raked his behind through Viasat's hell fires.

Looks like the installer on this one needs to meet my rake too. xD
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1622 Posts
  • 968 Reply Likes
Wow, nice catch on the cable, Steve.  If that really is the cable and not just a piece of cable or a long zip tie or something, I'm absolutely dumbfounded.  I mean, putting it so close to the road is bad enough, but then to not even bury the cable?  Just... WOW.  

Don't get me wrong, everyone makes a mistake now and again.  We sometimes forget things or even do something backwards, but that's just plain ridiculous.  I don't know how many times I've forgotten to put the bypass plug in an oil burner pump.  It comes on and just sits there, pumping no oil, until I finally realize what I dummy I was.  But, when it comes to this sat install, there's just no excuse.  None.    

Ginger Hess Repsher

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Yes it's on the ground. He was going to charge by the foot to bury it.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Yep, get the rake after that installer - UGH! that's a no, no and, no again.

My install pole mount tight spot near trees so roots to dig through. 50 ft of cable to bury, also having to trench through tree roots. Crawl under house to get cable to the right place to come into the house through the floor, bury cable under there too. No extra charge.

While we're at it, is there a grounding block and rod on your install. Are the connectors sealed? I'm betting not and that should have been done as well. Viasat requires it to be grounded and, corrosion in the connectors can cause service degradation in a year or two. 

In my opinion, Viasat needs to get another installer out there to fix and double check that one, I'd be willing to bet the placement and, lack of burying the cable aren't the only problems.

Ginger Hess Repsher

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Update.   After 2 visits with a different tech.  My dish is moved.  I opened my bill today and saw two $95.99 charges for service calls.     1 bille stated it was to point the dish.  UM  NOOO.  Nothing was done that day at all.  The tech.  wouldn't move it because the ground was frozen.   Okay so I call Viasat again.  2 weeks later the same tech comes back and this time moves the dish.  Very nice gentleman.   Works hard and works fast.   Today I called Viasat and spoke to a very nice woman named Felicia.  She read all of the notes in my account.  Not all were accurate.    We reviewed the correspondence I had with Brad from this site.   Finally my account is being credited for both charges.   Only problem is and this is not Viasat.   This is just the way it is.  I now have to wait 7-14 days to get my money back.   Would I recommend Viasat at this time.   I would.  But with caution.  

Ginger Hess Repsher

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Update.   After 2 visits with a different tech.  My dish is moved.  I opened my bill today and saw two $95.99 charges for service calls.     1 bill stated it was to point the dish.  UM  NOOO.  Nothing was done that day at all.  The tech.  wouldn't move it because the ground was frozen.   Okay so I call Viasat again.  2 weeks later the same tech comes back and this time moves the dish.  Very nice gentleman.   Works hard and works fast.   Today I called Viasat and spoke to a very nice woman named Felicia.  She read all of the notes in my account.  Not all were accurate.    We reviewed the correspondence I had with Brad from this site.   Finally my account is being credited for both charges.   Only problem is and this is not Viasat.   This is just the way it is.  I now have to wait 7-14 days to get my money back.   Would I recommend Viasat at this time.   I would.  But with caution.  
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1622 Posts
  • 968 Reply Likes
It's unfortunate that you have to wait up to two weeks to get your money back, but I'm glad you at least now have a proper installation that's not next to the road.  :)  
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2325 Posts
  • 455 Reply Likes
Ginger,  I am happy to hear your billing issue was resolved.