Pluto TV

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
I seem to have come across an anomaly occurring on VS1 & VS2. It seems Pluto TV accessed with a FireStick bypasses the video resolution saver. On both satellites the service streams all content in crystal clear HD with virtually no buffering. This is in stark contrast to Netflix which buffers much longer on a VS2 connection then a VS1 connection and shows highly pixelated video much of the time on the Bronze 12 plan. Has anyone else observed this issue?
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 422 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I wouldn't call that an issue! I would call that a beneficial feature!
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
As the Unlimited Data Policy  states:

"Not all video sources are identifiable and some video sources may stream at a higher quality."

Enjoy it while it lasts before Viasat tags their content delivery network as a video source ;)

The video data extender option on limted plans has no impact on it either.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2687 Posts
  • 1402 Reply Likes
Thanks for letting Viasat know about it. I’ve been enjoying Pluto for the last few days on the Liberty Pass, even during primetime.

Now Viasat is going to fix this glitch, which means even more bandwidth will be available for those of us that aren’t on video restricted unlimited plans. Thanks again.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
The dwarf planet gets so little respect nowadays...

Reminds me of the early days of Exede when the usage meter wasn't working/counting any data - the response on the old forum was Shhhhhhh! There are were some other shushes to be found - e.g. HTML5 video on Evolution plans ;)
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Or the actual time the LNFZ kicked in on the original LNFZ.

And don't forget on the old Wildblue usage meter. Unlimited, unmetered data at the end of the month.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Or the few times I've had well above the maximum speed I'm supposed to have - shhh - it works great, for now. xD

Oh and, that is't the only place that happens but, Shh, just because I have had HD (720) YouTube being the auto default for the last couple of months on a Silver plan - yeah, leave me alone, shh, forget I said that, nothing to see here, I know nothing, absolutely exactly what I signed a contact for, ho hum, just SD video here. xD

I'm guessing it's something that is being worked on, or possibly a gateway specific glitch or some such causing the off plan HD video.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
As more and more sites use encrypted connections (nearly 96% of my traffic is encrypted today), Viasat is unable to determine what type of content is being delivered. While the technology exists to do that, Viasat would be foolish to use it barrring a court order since it would effectively be a man in the middle attack. The only thing they can rely on is the server name indication in the TLS handshake to determine what hosts you're visiting (not what content you're retrieving). The SNI is not encrypted and identifying it as a video source (not necessarily a video stream) is as simple as a map of server name to known video sources. It's the reason for the disclaimer:

"Not all video sources are identifiable and some video sources may stream at a higher quality."

Because it's a fragile detection method, it also lead to "false" video stream detection and throttling of non-video content if a source contains both video and non-video content. Demonstrated here some 6-7 months ago - I forget the thread.

Just like it took Viasat a while to discover local time zones on the usage meter display, it'll take them time to discover all possible video sources and add Pluto TV to the lookup table - but now they know to add it ;

Once encrypted SNI is the norm and supported by all browsers, they wont even be able to do that except possibly for their own browser. It's part of the greater push towards added web privacy. I'd play Jab and provide a reference but it'll just upset VeteranSatUser ;) 

(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I miss some features from the old forum!

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
It just requires discipline and willpower here.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
re: "It just requires discipline and willpower here."

https://www.apa.org/helpcenter/willpo...
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3429 Posts
  • 1284 Reply Likes
That's very interesting. I like Pluto TV personally. 

No worries about us "finding out". I'm not telling anyone. 
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2687 Posts
  • 1402 Reply Likes
Shucks,   I was hoping Viasat would lay the smackdown on people using Pluto with video restricted plans.  The more people there are buffering on "unlimited" plans, means the more bandwidth available for me on Liberty 12.

Seriously though, there has to be some sort of technical issue going on since several of us are getting Liberty Pass speeds during primetime even after using up our data.  I am enjoying it, but I have a feeling Viasat is going to correct the problem eventually.  When that happens, be prepared for a bunch of posts on here with people complaining about 256 kbps speeds during primetime after using up priority data.  I won't be complaining since I understand how my plan works, but rest be assured there will be someone on here threatening to contact the FBI.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Shhhhh!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Or the state of Florida.

More like the state of delusion.