Pingtest FAIL

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • In Progress
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

We continually get an "F" on pingtest.net with our "Freedom" plan:

The connection drops many times a day for 1-5 minutes. It is at all points in the billing cycle, and all times of day. We have gone through all the possible tech issues, many times, and everything seems to be operating OK. The issue is with both ethernet and wireless.

I know that speeds will be throttled during heavy traffic for high bandwidth users, which we are. But our speed is fine, we just have trouble maintaining a connection.

I chatted with customer support about it, but was never given a clear answer. 

Is this issue:

a) something that all Exede customers have to deal with?
b) due to bandwidth overuse (even though it is at all points in the billing cycle)?
c) some other tech issue?

Thanks!

Paul
Photo of Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
That ping is a LITTLE  high, typical satellite internet ping is in the 600-1000ms range.  Nothing can be done to change the speed of light, it takes time to travel from you, 22,500 miles to the satellite, 22,500 miles to the remote server, 22,500 miles back to the satellite, then finally, 22,500 miles back to you.
Photo of Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Should I expect pages just not to load at all without refreshing multiple times over several minutes? That's really the big issue.
Photo of Danielbo

Danielbo

• 154 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
Mine never ever dropped service, and it has been this week. Speed wise, I never get speed, its because of congestion. So I wonder if they know what is hurting the customer why is this not being fixed? If they cant fix this issue they are doing false advertisement, because I am paying for something I am not getting. I really believe this could be open to a class action law suite. I am not going to do it, but I really see someone doing it. They have over sold more then they can handle.
This  is unfair to the customers and is a issue they need to be taking it as a important issue, not just talk and saying this is the problem and act as if its are fault because there is to many of us on here. I think they would like for us to make up a schedule and you will have a certain time that you can be on and the issue would be fixed. 
Photo of Danielbo

Danielbo

• 154 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
Everything is moving so slow for weeks now, they must have brought more people on. Adding people to this area needs to be stopped if it can not be supported.
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Danielbo, let's troubleshoot. Please email me at exedelistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information.
Photo of Danielbo

Danielbo

• 154 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
I got the same score F* 
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Paul, the ping test you've linked to is intended for terrestrial internet services like cable or DSL. Satellite internet will always fail by those standards, the latency is just a part of the distance traveled. As for your other issue, of having to reload pages, that should not be happening. It sounds like you may be experiencing some packet loss. Please email me at exedelistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information. Please reference your post in your email.
Photo of Nicholas Wilson

Nicholas Wilson

• 81 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
I've been on Exede more than six months and never experience signal dropout. I do experience packet loss, which means I sometimes have to refresh a new web page view to get it loaded correctly.  You can view your signal strength both up and down, and other parameters, including cable resistance, by accessing your Exede modem from your browser at http://192.168.100.1/ and exploring the tab options.
(Edited)
Photo of Danielbo

Danielbo

• 154 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
Thank you for the offer to trouble shoot, as we have many of many of times, the answer I get is at this particular time there is showing a congestion do to the amount of people online. So this is my fault for not getting the speed because of congestions. Lets look at it this way, you buy a ticket to go see a concert, you get to the stadium and find out you can not get in because it is full, but as people come out, you can go in. So it get to the point when you can go in and find out its over, You try to get you money back on your ticket and they say didnt you hear it? Well you have no choice to except that reason because the money is in there hands, If you are like me, you can go to another stadium because they are not there. So as life goes on the little person is always the loser, the winner is the one with control. They can just keep on selling and pocketing the money, and if we want any type of internet, we have to pay it no matter how high it is. If there was competition for them, you might see another attitude, but they know you are with them because you have no choice or power to do anything, So stand out side, do what you can do to see and hear what ever you can and go on, makes no differance to them.
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Danielbo, that is not how I view things and I don't find congestion an acceptable answer for speeds slower than 5 or 6Mbps. I would still like to troubleshoot. If you're willing, please email me at exedelistens@viasat.com.
Photo of Brian Shackelford

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Beau -

On Beam 329 speeds of 1 to 2 Mbps in the evenings is a normal thing for me. All other times it is normal. I have called multiple times and after getting to a supervisor or a rep that has been with Exede a while they look and see that we are on a full Beam. I hope in Daniel's cas you can find a different answer but in my case (and many others in my area) it is indeed congestion causing the slowdowns. I wish I could get a 5 Mbps during those times but typically for several hours at least it drops to just over 1 Mbps.
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Brian, I'd like to take a look at that here at Exede HQ. I don't doubt there is congestion, but I'd like to confirm the seriousness of it. Feel free to send us an email, we'll give you a call. I work evenings so I can usually troubleshoot during those peak hours.
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Give the social media team a chance to look over your account and see what they can do...I get your frustrated the the three that run this forum have more tool then the regular tech support
Photo of Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
OK, it's been a couple days since I wrote the support team, and no response yet.
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Paul, my colleague Diana is working on your case and has reached out to you via email. Sorry for the delay.
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I'm sure your on there list of calls to make just be patient I know there has been a lot of posting on here lately so I'm sure their busy.
Photo of Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
OK, it's been about two weeks since I first emailed excedelistens (ironic). I got one response in the first five days, and then nothing despite repeated followup emails. What is going on?
Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hi Paul, we would like to get this issue resolved for you as quick as possible. Rest assure we are not ignoring your problem. I reviewed your emails and my colleague Diana called you yesterday. I left you a voicemail personally to see if I can assist with your matter. At your earliest convenience please return either voicemail. Thank you for posting. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.