Ping time is between 2 - 23 ms instead of the usual 500 - 900 ms

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
The past 6 days I've been running speed tests on a few different apps/websites, and every time the results have come back it's had ping times sitting between 2 ms (frequently) and 23 ms (occasionally). Before these 6 days, my ping times have been between 800ms (frequently) and a whopping 2,300ms (occasionally). I'm on the Unlimited Silver Plan with speeds "up to 25 Mbps."

So I'm just wondering what changed to make my ping times drop by hundreds of milliseconds and if I can expect this in the future, or if it's just a happy accident these past few days? This is definitely not a complaint because I've been able to play online games with virtually no lag. Lol just wondering if I should continue to expect this.
Photo of Robert Jordan

Robert Jordan

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1056 Posts
  • 649 Reply Likes
I've not experienced this on other speed tests, but Google's test always does this.  I have the competition, and my latency should be between 600ms and 800ms.  

(Edited)
Photo of Robert Jordan

Robert Jordan

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Yeah, Google gave me 23 ms and Speedtest gave me 3 ms. I wonder why those give such short ping time...
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1056 Posts
  • 649 Reply Likes
I tried speedtest and it gave me a 618ms result.  Though I've never seen Speedtest be off like it was for you, and it's most likely just a glitch, I think that Google's test isn't set up to properly measure the latency of satellite internet, so it will be off every time.  I've tested there probably ten times over the last few months and I've never seen it give an accurate latency reading.   

I tend to use testmy.net for speed tests as I can choose the size of the test that I want to use, whereas most others are dynamic and use more data than I'd like.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to promote testmy or anything, it's just that with data being at a premium with a capped service I want to use the least amount I need to for a test.  
Photo of Marika

Marika

• 137 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Well with the laws of physics taken into consideration, I'd wager it's a glitch with whatever site you're taking the speed test on.  Here's some examples: http://prntscr.com/iuewje <--google speed test.  Speedtest.net result: http://prntscr.com/iuexat taken back to back.  
Photo of Robert Jordan

Robert Jordan

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Right! That's what I'm guessing now too after reading into the physics of it shortly after posting the OP. It's very clear that it's really not possible to get that ping time, but one can dream. Lol

It just weirded me out because I've used a few different apps to test it returning those numbers and for some reason, beginning about 6 days ago, my games have all just stopped lagging. Which is why I started running the tests, but I guess my games have just been updating/fixing their servers.

Thanks for your response! I can take my tinfoil hat off now. Lol
(Edited)
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 460 Posts
  • 172 Reply Likes
Are you close enough to anyone else that you might have accidentally connected to their wi-fi?
Photo of Robert Jordan

Robert Jordan

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Unfortunately I’m in the mountains so even neighbors only have access to satellite internet which should also pull high ping times.
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 460 Posts
  • 172 Reply Likes
Interesting!  Please keep us informed if you solve the mystery!  I can see a glitch giving you erroneous readings but not actually making your internet work better.
(Edited)
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 212 Posts
  • 68 Reply Likes
What's happening is the ping test is being done at viasat's proxy before it goes via sat. The gateway(ground station) is the one responding before the packets make it up and back down the sat to you
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1039 Posts
  • 635 Reply Likes
Google needs to update its testing process.  There are over 2,000,000 residential sat subscribers in the US alone, so they should update their testing process to give accurate readings for those users, too.  
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2278 Posts
  • 1985 Reply Likes
Look out your window and see if that satellite is sitting in your back yard.  :-O