Phone service not available in my area???

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Question answered. Email provided for assistance. No need for further response.

Spent 30+ minutes on the phone with Exede trying to get phone service.  First told it isn't available in my area???  I have exede - I have a phone line - and Basic Talk works fine with my Exede service; however, phone calls suck up my data plan.  Called back to talk to someone else and was told the first person gave me false information and this rep transferred me to someone else.  At first he was going to set it up but then had to talk to someone else.  Bottom line:  we are "ineligible" for phone service in this area.  It WON'T WORK???!!!!! - even though Basic Talk does work.  I have had Wildblue since 2008.  Up until the past year we have been very happy with the service.  We never exceeded our data usage; however, since we have had Wild blue in the new area we live in - they suck us dry - we are ALWAYS having to buy additional time.  Already frustrated with the data usage thing and now don't "qualify" for phone service.  And - we are stuck.  Nothing else available out here. 
Photo of Billie Sue Barnes

Billie Sue Barnes

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of ExedeEmerald

ExedeEmerald

• 204 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
Hi Billie Sue Barnes,
Im very sorry that you are not able to get our voice service. If you are a Wildblue customer and have Wildblue equipment you are not eligible for voice service. Right now the only customers that can have Voice service are the ones that are on Exede12 packages. Another reason it may also not be available is because of the Beam you may be on. If you like we can definitely take a look at your account and see what might be going on and give you information that you know for sure you are not eligible. Just send an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with you account information and we can take a further look at your account and see about that Voice service. Exede Emerald 

Photo of Dirk Dowstra

Dirk Dowstra

• 34 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
I do not know what area you moved to, but just from your description of the data usage, it sounds like the installer goofed and did not install the antenna (dish) correctly. I would check that first. (call them).

Next, Exede Voice is only available to Exede 12 Internet because it is based on the Viasat 1 satellite, (which is only at half capacity I might add) and Wildblue is based on the older Telesat Anik F2 satellite, ...

"In January 2012, ViaSat launched a new, much faster satellite Internet service called Exede by ViaSat. The service increases the speed and capacity of satellite Internet by a factor of 10 through the use of the ViaSat high-capacity satellite system, which includes the 140 Gbit/s ViaSat-1 satellite.

WildBlue launched as an independent company in October 2004 after gaining access rights to the Telesat Anik F2 satellite. It conducted formal technical testing until January 2005, followed by nationwide beta testing, before the first residential retail customers had services installed in June 2005."
...source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ViaSat

So you see, two completely different satellites, two completely different systems, each with their own equipment and pricing. Same parent company (Viasat), but again, two completely different systems.

(Viasat purchased Wildblue in 2009)

As for the spot beam coverage, it is highly likely that the new area can not handle anymore customers for Wildblue spot beams, but Exede 12 should be available in your area. AND, if you are on an Exede 12 service, then you should be able to get Exede Voice.

Again, I would call and find out exactly which service you are on and if you are on the older Wildblue service, get rid of it and get Exede 12. Spot beam coverage for that should still be available, but again, I do not know where you are.

The pricing plans for Excede 12 is 10gb @ 49.99 per mo. / 15gb @ 79.99 per mo. / 25gb @ 129.99 per mo. >Plus a 9.99 per month equipment lease fee<
... source http://www.wildblue.com/packages/exede-12 yeah, it is an old page, but the plans are the same.

If your plan is not any of those mentioned,  then you do not have Exede 12

Spot Beam maps for Exede's Viasat 1:
[click on the pictures]
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27312994-Exede-ViaSat-1-Augmented-beams-gateways

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27047349-Exede-Viasat-1-Gateways

... or use the search term ViaSat1 BEAM Map on Google and click on the images section for more data to see if there is a spot beam for your area.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.