Phone cord for router: Replacement needed.

  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Help! The phone cord that connects my laptop to the router sees to be on the fritz. Internet connectivity has become intermittent. I think it's a weak spot at the phone connector plug on one end.
I don't have a crimping tool in order to fix it, so I'd like to locate another cord, to replace the heavy blue cable with the phone connectors on each end that came with the Exede setup.
For such a replacement line, will any old phone cord, including one that likely predates modern technology, i.e. from the 1980s or 90s, do the trick?
Or do I need to go out and buy some fancy, high-tech, heavy duty cable specially made for these units, to use with this application?
If the latter, what type of cable works best? Are there degrees of quality depending on the cable thickness, etc.? Thx
Photo of M de onate

M de onate

  • 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Noah Johnson

Noah Johnson

  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I don't know where you are - but you can get one at a Home Depot for about $12.00  Here is a part number for a 7ft cable.  Model # PCF5-07BKS-SN -- in my area they open at 08:00.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

  • 3268 Posts
  • 2105 Reply Likes
You actually need the CAT5 cable, which has an 8 pin connector at each end. CAT6 will also work, but  not necessary. As Noah said, they are available at Home Depot, Lowe's or Walmart, costs are dependent on the length you need.
Photo of Nicholas Wilson

Nicholas Wilson

  • 16 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
More generically, what you need is called an Ethernet cable. The modular plugs at the end resemble common telephone plugs, but they are bigger and have more connections. They are not interchangeable. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.