Pay for unlimited, but capped at 100 GB

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I loved this service for the first two weeks. We don't have any kind of tv other than streaming. I'm home all day and keep Pandora streaming the majority of the day. My husband comes in and we either watch Hilu or Netflix or catch up on the news. We quickly reached 100 GB when my grandson came over last weekend to a new XBox with Fortnite. Now, by the time my husband gets home, he can't watch anything. Our service has been slowed to nearly "stop" during peak times. They say they prioritize. So, I pay $150 per month for what is supposed to be unlimited, but during times of congestion, someone paying less gets priority service? I don't see how that is right!
Photo of shoemama5

shoemama5

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • confused

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1774 Posts
  • 1026 Reply Likes
Viasat is not intended for cord cutting. If you are using that as your primary source of video delivery, you are going to have issues, especially during primetime.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 463 Posts
  • 176 Reply Likes
What happens to you once you reach your priority data limit can vary wildly. Some people are slowed to the point where they can't even check their e-mail, others claim they see little difference. You cannot use data capped wireless internet like hardwired uncapped internet. Sorry, but you are going to have to put the family on a data diet.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2324 Posts
  • 1419 Reply Likes
So, I pay $150 per month for what is supposed to be unlimited, but during times of congestion, someone paying less gets priority service?
If they haven't yet reached their priority threshold, then yes.  Those who've reached that threshold may be prioritized behind those who haven't, regardless of what someone pays.  Whether that prioritization actually kicks in depends on system load, but in the evenings you can pretty much count on it.  
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1774 Posts
  • 1026 Reply Likes
I also have to ask like Stephen would do, what did you have before Viasat and why did you select it?

I think those are two important questions that need answered to understand the rationale of why Viasat was selected after they express disappointment with it a few weeks later.

Unlimited, by its definition, is not a true depiction of a Viasat plan (or many other ISP plans either). I mean in what world does "unlimited data" equal 14GB of true usability a month? At least Viasat offers more than twice that on their "unlimited" plans.
(Edited)