Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow

• Praise
  • Updated 4 months ago
It's come time to say goodbye again.  The first time, we had the opportunity to get a T-1 line back when we were still on the old school Wild Blue system.  It was a definite improvement until Exede came out with the upgraded packages.  Still, we had no complaints about the service under Wild Blue, but did get the opportunity to do something a little better.  This time, we've had the good fortune of getting a dedicated fiber line run to our place for about twice the cost of Exede.  Of course, we're fools not to jump on the opportunity to have a dedicated fiber line, but it unfortunately means we have to say goodbye to the many good friends we met here in the forum during our time with Exede.  Still, we have zero complaints.  Our service has always been top notch and the comrade has been awesome.  Keep up the good work and hopefully we'll catch some of you around in the future.  It's been great.  Our time with the Exede family has been some of the most fun we've had on the net...well, not really, but it sounds good.  Bye guys and gals and we wish all of you well for the future.
Photo of HiddenOkie

HiddenOkie

• 16 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1005 Posts
  • 615 Reply Likes
Best of luck to you and congrats.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Wow! A satisfied Exede customer that now has a better, albeit more expensive option! Good luck to you HiddenOkie.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2002 Posts
  • 1218 Reply Likes
A dedicated fiber line.... only in my dreams.  

Good luck to you.  :)  
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 374 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
I am surprised that fiber is more expensive than satellite. That certainly isn’t the norm. I pay $75 for Liberty 25 and in my area fiber often available for $60 or less for 100 Mbps or better and cable is available for $40 for 50+ Mbps. I will also have fiber in a few years and it can’t come fast enough. I have had DSL speeds now for more than 20 years and unfortunately Viasat only offers DSL speeds for the bulk of the month as well. I get better speed for a few days, but in our modern world 25 GB does not last long. Only if you restrict yourself to email and web browsing could you even think of making 25 last an entire month. And that the reality in 2019 is that video is everywhere and should be accessible.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 987 Posts
  • 607 Reply Likes
I agree with you. Satellite internet in no way has kept up with the average data needs of most households.

I bought a game the other week. 50GB. So 2x what your monthly priority data is.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 374 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
Satellite internet is sort of like having telegraph in the telephone era. LOL. It is better than smoke signals, but just barely.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 382 Posts
  • 119 Reply Likes
Good analogy Voyager!
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 987 Posts
  • 607 Reply Likes
I like Pony Express versus Fed Ex. The information eventually gets there, just a matter of how quick it does!
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 374 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
The new Viasat slogan: The pony express of the 21st century!
Photo of HiddenOkie

HiddenOkie

• 16 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Fiber typically isn't more expensive in the residential world ie U-Verse.  This fiber is a completely different animal.  Where the telco uses two strands of fiber to power an entire housing addition/neighborhood, we have our own two strands that are all ours.  It's a high end enterprise line that is the same type of broadband major corporations use to run call centers, factories, major department stores, name it.  It's already allowed our business to consolidate so many things from our telephone service to our work flow software eliminating completely a $1400 a month answering service that just forwarded messages.  I checked with the provider today about bumping it up to 50 instead of the 20 that we have since we're in a contract anyway....my hair stood up.  I'm doing it, but boy having your own line with your own static ip, lan, wan, etc. ain't cheap by any means.  Even at 20, the total lack of latency (10 m/s) makes it peppy as heck.  The steady flow makes it reliable instead of waiting on FM packets to make the round Uranus and back every time we needed something.  As sore as my wallet is, it's a definite glad we did it.

I am a satisfied Exede customer.  I admit it.  Everyone was always so nice and pleasant to work with no matter what the circumstances.  Part of the satisfaction was being aware of what I bought going into the deal.  I see so many people think that satellite is like DSL, Cable, or Fiber.  It's the alternative to nothing that we had and never regretted because we at least had something other than dial up.  Gawd, I remember those days for sure...no matter how much I drink, I don't think I'll ever forget them.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 987 Posts
  • 607 Reply Likes
Hence the problem with satellite internet.  If you have any other alternatives than satellite internet, chances are you are going to go with the alternative. 

Satellite internet has its niche market, but again I don't think the marketplace is big enough for 2 players in the game.  The minute cable, fiber, wireless, etc. goes to an area where it previously did not, Viasat or Hughesnet is going to lose another customer. 
Photo of HiddenOkie

HiddenOkie

• 16 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
That's always the case when there's a viable option other than satellite.  Even Hughes and Exede both tell you up front that if you have any other option-dsl, fiber, cable, carrier pigeon, satellite may not be right for you.  That fact they are very up front about from the outset.  The whole reason we got into satellite back when it was DirecWay and WildBlue was the simple fact we're so far out that there is absolutely no viable option.  WISP required that we build a tower on our house thirty feet up into the air to catch the line of sight and dial up had us ready to shoot our brains all over the computer desk every time we tried to do anything.

That being said, satellite has developed leaps and bounds.  There was a time when it was high speed one way only....and the data caps...if people get upset by a 35 gig cap, they'd die with a 5 or 10 meg cap that leaves your ass capped until the system is ready to take it off.  It wasn't a soft cap either.  Sometimes, it would be a day, others a week.  WildBlue went ahead and stuck it to users up front rather than meter it out a few kilobytes at a time by letting  them manage their use for the entire month.  Once the cap was hit, it was there until the next bill date regardless of whether it was two days or three weeks.  Then came the pay to play option...I loved that one.  I never minded buying a little extra data just in case.

Satellite will get even better over time.  It's not like laying a mile of cable and firing up a remote terminal.  Any growth takes years of planning, building, launching, and hoping the damn thing makes it where it's supposed to be for the next decade of its useful life.  If something goes wrong at any point in the process, it can turn a multibillion dollar investment into a dump truck load of scrap metal.  That's a lot of risk and a lot of expense.  Unfortunately, the consumer doesn't see that side of it.
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.