Over data AGAIN

• Problem
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I sat down at my computer last night and my internet was painfully slow ... as usual,  Then I get the redirect.  I am over data ... AGAIN!  Quick check and my "speed" if you can call it that was 121 Kbps.  Right now is better, 232 Kbps but its far from peak hours.  My regular speeds are usually slow,  last week at 2 AM during my LNFZ my "speed" was only 3.8 Mbps  WOO HOO!

Last month was 7 days before my end date, this month 10 days.  No email notification, no 70% warning email ... AGAIN!  We have tried several times to figure out why I stopped getting the emails and fix the problem, but still nothing.  I still get my bill in my email every month though!

Of course I want to know WHAT is using my data, but sitting here I ask myself HOW is it using my data???   The weather has been terrible, ungodly rain and heat.  3 or 4 days the past month it seemed every time I sat at the PC another round of storms rolled through and no internet.  One day we had no power all day.  I have breathing issues so the hot and humid days confined me to the A/C making my computer room "off limits" and when I was able to get on, it was SO PAINFULLY SLOW I couldnt do a lot.  I normally have no problem with my data lasting "me" the month.  This month Ive probably done less than half my normal usage, so what program could be running using twice the data I am?

Oh well I guess the time has come to finally up my data.  The Hughesnet installer will be here a week from today, I CANT WAIT!  Good bye Viasat, its been a long run, but after the past year or more I cant say it was a good one.  I have been procrastinating for too long, 121 Kbps last night sealed the deal and I grabbed the phone.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 320 Posts
  • 204 Reply Likes
  • relieved

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2175 Posts
  • 1336 Reply Likes
Unfortunately, as time goes on, there are more things that run in the background that we have to then discover.  It seems like every few Windows updates there's another entry in my Glasswire that wasn't there before, and using data automatically.  

The two main possibilities is that something is still using data that you aren't aware of, or that your data usage is increasing due to some sort of connection issue, whether that be a shoddy WiFi connection, or even packet loss due to a weak dish "connection" to the satellite.  

BTW, what size plan did you choose with HughesNet?  Just curious.  I've got the 20GB plan, and it works well enough for me.  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1466 Posts
  • 867 Reply Likes
You can get the 20GB + 50GB off peak plan for up to 25Mbps for $99/month in our area. The similar Viasat plan that is offered in our area provides 65GB priority data up to 12Mbps for $200.

Why anybody would ever sign up for Viasat in our area given those comparisons is beyond me.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2175 Posts
  • 1336 Reply Likes
$99?  Wow.  The 20/50 plan is what I have.  I pay $86.59 per month, and that includes the $14.99 lease fee and taxes.  

They do have a new 20/80 plan in my area due to the NY State broadband initiative, and it's $60 plus tax, with the equipment included, but I'd have to cancel my current service, then wait 45 days from the time the account is closed until I could sign up for the new service.  And the crazy part is, they'd install the exact same model of radio and modem that I would have just sent back a month prior.  A bit redundant, if you ask me, but I get why they have to do it that way.  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1466 Posts
  • 867 Reply Likes
Yea.  For areas where government subsidies are offered, you can find some strange plan terms and conditions.

I checked.  I was wrong on the price.  It would be $69.99 + lease + taxes.  They do offer standard installation (Viasat will charge $150 here) and do have a purchase plan for $349.  Might not be a bad deal.  Once you own the equipment, if you cancel I am sure you won't have to send the crap back to the company (like Viasat requires).

I won't be curious how it works for Ron.  If I would have to give up my wireless "truly" unlimited plan, good to know how other options work in my area.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2175 Posts
  • 1336 Reply Likes
I think there might still be a one time activation fee, which was $99, last I knew.  I can't tell, as the site is now defaulting to the NY State Broadband plans, which doesn't have that.  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1466 Posts
  • 867 Reply Likes
I didnt read it that close. I know that in my location, Viasat isnt even a viable option from a financial standpoint anymore. Goes to show how much of a failure Viasat-2 is as far as delivering better internet in my area anyhow.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I've thought about giving HN a try if throttling on my Freedom plan becomes unbearable. But none of their plans compare to the Liberty plans I can switch to with Viasat. Liberty 25 with the free zone for $75 doesn't sound too bad.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 452 Posts
  • 137 Reply Likes
You have to realize that Viasat is offering data caps that would have been reasonable in 1999 before the advent of Youtube and widespread streaming services, but are completely ridiculous in 2019. It is the nature of the beast. They are offering archaic satellite technology to those who have no other alternative. So, no incentive to do better. This will change in another decade or so as electric cooperatives increasingly offer fiber broadband (the momentum is increasing rapidly here) and if Musk and/or others succeed with the LEO satellite constellation. Viasat will be a small specialty provider to the military then, and even they are getting more cost conscious and likely will go LEO when that becomes viable.

I would not want to be a Viasat investor in a few more years.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1466 Posts
  • 867 Reply Likes
They will focus on being the dominate internet provider for airlines.  Lots of money there.  Limited competition. 
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 452 Posts
  • 137 Reply Likes
If the LEO constellation(s) are successful, they will capture the cost sensitive airline market almost overnight. The only market Viasat has a prayer to keep is military and then only if they can offer more robust security than the more consumer and commercial oriented LEO providers.

I predict that 10 years from now Viasat will be either out of business or a much smaller speciality provider to the military and maybe private security companies.
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
LEO and MEO service can't come soon enough for me. I'm tired of only having 2 options.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 452 Posts
  • 137 Reply Likes
I’d much rather have fiber and the good news is that my electric cooperative has launched just such a project so within a few years I will have fiber for about half what I am paying for satellite with DSL service levels. The end is in sight.
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 323 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes
I got a co-op near me also but it will cost me $370k to bring me power and fiber with it.....
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
@Voyager, I'd love to have fiber too but no company or electric coop is planning anything like that in my neck of the woods.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 452 Posts
  • 137 Reply Likes
@Oliver. You live on your own 25 miles of electric line with nobody else attached? You must really be out in the boonies.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 452 Posts
  • 137 Reply Likes
@fmj77 That was the case for me 4 years ago as well. So, I ran for the board, got elected, started championing fiber broadband, got the rest of the board onboard, got the CEO onboard and now we have formed a new subsidiary and are breaking ground this year. Took four years, but better late than never.

Most cooperatives don’t even think this is possible as they have never really had incentive to do the research into the money available through the FCC CAF and other sources. It takes members making noise, or getting on the board to get the ball rolling. The question is: how badly do you really want it? Most want fast internet enough to complain about it, but not enough to actually do anything constructive.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1466 Posts
  • 867 Reply Likes
I agree with Voyager. I have a cousin on the local co-op board and while he is skeptical too, he was telling me there is a big national push for the co-ops to deploy broadband. We just have to keep putting the pressure on. Legacy satellite internet is not the answer.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 452 Posts
  • 137 Reply Likes
@ExSatUser It helps if the cooperative members get involved. Petition your directors or better yet run for a director position. Make your desires known. Complaining on internet forums may be good for venting, but it seldom solves a problem.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1466 Posts
  • 867 Reply Likes
I dont think I will run against my cousin :). But I agree with you.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 320 Posts
  • 204 Reply Likes
Co Ops?  WOW must be nice.  We got corporate power and phone out here that dont wanna know nuttin.

I grew up in a small farm town in CT @80 miles from NYC and watched road and rail improvements, and the advent of internet "work from home" jobs boom until my quaint little "home sweet home" simply became a suburb of the Big Apple.

I love the peace, tranquility and freedom here in rural OH and until a year ago my lottery dream was to buy this entire ridge and build my dream home on a knoll in the 152 acre plot across the road.  Now my dreams are shattered, Im so sick of it out here I am looking for ways out NOW!   Sick of being 20 miles from anything .... sick of 19 of them being narrow winding, curvy, hilly country cow paths, and their deplorable maintenance and construction, sick of the toll they take on my vehicles, gas being $3 a gallon, and nearly every venture anywhere involves a stop at a gas station.

I could become a recluse, if I wasnt also sick of no water, no sewer, no cell service, no cable, or DSL.  Electric and phone infrastructure as bad if not worse than what they call roads out here.  2 week stretch I went 10 days without phone.  Thats when I got Exede voice.  Last storm related power outage it took them 3 days to replace a  transformer because theres only about 20 customers out here so we took the bottom of the priority list.

Just because I like being separated from the outside world does not mean I want to be CUT OFF from it!!

Just because I dont want to deal with the fast paced high tech 2019 hustle and bustle in no way means I want to be stuck in 1950!

I am old school, I am old, I dont want to deal with data and speed and all that crap.  When I sit down at my computer and click on my email I WANT IT TO WORK!!  I dont care if its 200 Mbps or 2 Mbps I dont "download files" I am not a gamer, I dont stream (obviously because I CANT!)  I JUST WANT INTERNET!  THAT WORKS WHEN I NEED/WANT IT TO!
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 452 Posts
  • 137 Reply Likes
@Ron. You don’t have DSL, cable or cell available where you are?
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 452 Posts
  • 137 Reply Likes
@ExSatUser Well, you don’t have to be ON the board to make your wishes known TO the board.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
@Ron, those things you mentioned about rural life are exactly why I love being 40 minutes from the nearest town. Granted, my electric coop here in NW North Carolina is very reliable and their equipment is modern and fully updated. Most power outages out here last an hour or two, but I have a stand by generator for longer outages. Luckily, I've had very few problems with Wildblue/Exede/Viasat. The only issue I've had was a bad modem when I first upgraded to Exede and it was replaced the next day.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1466 Posts
  • 867 Reply Likes
I am of the opinion if you can get electricity, you should be able to get low-cost, high speed, truly unlimited internet
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 452 Posts
  • 137 Reply Likes
@ExSatUser. That is a nice opinion, but who pays for it?
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1466 Posts
  • 867 Reply Likes
We didnt have trouble paying for rural electrification
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 452 Posts
  • 137 Reply Likes
Well, each member had to make an investment upfront, many had to help put the poles and wires in place and the cost was hardly low at the outset.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
@ExSat, my area was one of the last to get electricity in the late 1940s. It was a long, slow process to get the rural people of the county powered up.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 320 Posts
  • 204 Reply Likes
Voyager, no cable AT ALL, DSL provided by the phone company stops 4 1/2 miles from me ironically at my wifes parents house, yet theres only 8 houses between us.  The phone company says past their house is too far from the "hub", the current wiring wont handle it, and the revenue generated would not justify the cost to run new wire and install booster stations.

Cell service has gotten "better" and if you are lucky up stairs (road level) in the south facing window you can usually make a call, but only on a Verizon network FORGET AT&T.  Out front "up" on the road you can make a call, about 500 yards in either direction, then you are DONE, 6 miles east since the village put a cell on the water tower, or 15 miles north or south to a city, west NOTHING, flat tire, breakdown, accident you either pray somebody comes along or START WALKING.

fmj77 beautiful country down there!  The Carolinas, Tenn, Virginia, I am privileged to have been to 47 of our 50 states so far and NOTHING prepared me for "here".  What you think you know about "Rural Appalachia" is just the tip of the iceberg, and right here where the rust belt and coal belt intersect is horrible.  I would say the inner city slums have nothing on us, but they do!  At least they have cable TV, DSL, cell service, public water and sewer, mass transit, or they can walk to a store.  In some places here the living conditions, schools, drugs, and crime are just as bad if not worse.

I am old,  its just me and the wife (shes from here) so I stay.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 320 Posts
  • 204 Reply Likes
I dont know when power got run out here.  I was "told" my house was built in 1900 by the grandfather of who we bought it from.  The deed has his name and 1900 on it, but I have recently found it on an 1880 map owned by someone else???

Indoor plumbing and electricity were just installed in the 90s, the 1990s LOL  and my house is still plumbed for gas lighting although it is now abandoned.  There is a well under the floor in the mud room off my kitchen so you didnt have to go outside in winter to gather water.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1466 Posts
  • 867 Reply Likes
Power got initiated in rural areas with the Rural Electrification Act in the 30's. The government issued low interest loans that were paid back over decades.

The whole issue started because corporations couldn't justify the investment to deliver a utility to rural folks. (Sound familiar?)

The government keeps trying with bills. Will anything get passed? And you will suck up the grant money? Wireless? Hughesnet/Viasat again?
(Edited)
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 320 Posts
  • 204 Reply Likes
GabeU Yes, I went with the 20 G plan, twice the data as my Exede 10/12 plan and twice the "up to" speed ...  FOR THE SAME PRICE.  (@ $100 a month) After the 1st year it goes up $5 for the lease and $10 for the phone.

I am on a fixed income and my Viasat cycle ends on the 12th so I waited until now to time everything, then the promotion of $20 off a month the first year ended June 26!!  I was so mad!  I was discussing it with the wife and contemplating waiting to see if they started a new promo next week, next month etc, I WAS GOING TO THE HUGHESNET SITE WHEN I GOT THE OVER DATA NOTICE!

I told the wife THATS IT IM DONE!!  I expressed my concern to the salesman about a promo starting right after I sign up, but there was nothing he could do.  He did give us a complimentary $50 off our first month though!

I think I narrowed down my data hog.  I think its my anti virus (AVG) or a android emulator called Bluestacks.  I cant seem to find a way to limit their access to the internet.  Going over data never bothered me when it was rare, the last day or 3 before my cycle ends, or when I was getting 1 - 3Mbps when restricted, but this past year that its longer and more frequent and my "restricted" speeds are below 1Mbps  and I told Viasat many times I REFUSE to pay more money for more priority data at 2 - 5Mbps when I am 1 - 3 restricted  ITS NEARLY THE SAME!   So their "solution" was to throttle my restricted speed bellow 1 and prioritize me so my "internet" is USELESS when restricted now.  And lets not forget the redirects now to remind me I am over data.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Hey Ron, where do you live? I thought through out my life I have lived in plenty of places out in the sticks from up in in So Cal mountains and down in the deserts to the woods of Central Va, but it seems you live in the middle of Siberia.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 311 Posts
  • 201 Reply Likes
Its pitiful, I am in SE Ohio, the center of everything and the middle of nowhere at the same time.  My county is so small there is not a single "city" in it.  Our county seat is only a village.  I dont even live in a town or village, my deed says "an unincorporated portion of Marion township"  LOL

The little village my mail comes out of 6 miles away consists of a gas station convenience store (that still has the old mechanical pumps), a garage convenience store (no gas), a post office open in the morning until the carriers go out on the road, a small restaurant open 4 days a week, a library and a funeral home.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1095 Posts
  • 672 Reply Likes
Morgan County I presume. True Appalachia.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 311 Posts
  • 201 Reply Likes
YUP!  Good old MoCo!  Even if I gave you my address theres 2 roads with the same name.  Even the county doesnt know house numbers out here, and most GPS will get you lost NOT to my house!
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1095 Posts
  • 672 Reply Likes
Yea. There is nothing in that area. Nothing.

But criminals do find it a good area to cook meth and grow weed. That is why there is such a drug problem in that area, not to mention the execution style murders of that whole family a few counties away from you a couple years ago.
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
@ExSat, kind of sounds like my area too. Except more meth and less weed unfortunately. And I only know of one moonshiner in a 50 mile radius. How sad is that?
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 418 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
You need to get out more and meet more of your neighbors!
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
There are lots of Morgan Counties are you talking about Kentucky? Lots of meth heads or ex meth heads around me also. I think that is all they hire at the local Dollar store. I hate that place but it is the only place to get office and shipping supplies without driving 30 miles.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1095 Posts
  • 672 Reply Likes
Ohio
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 311 Posts
  • 201 Reply Likes
Will, my first comment I said SE Ohio, but ExSatUser and I been chatting on here a long time and arent too far from each other so he pretty much knows where I am.

The drugs and crime are rampant "in the area" and we are not immune to it, but overall there are 12 houses on my road, 5 or more are the same family and my wifes cousin is married to our neighbors grandson so we are accepted as "relations".  The other residents are tied to this road or the immediate area for generations, my wifes parents lived here for 10 years before we bought it and now they only live 4 1/2 miles away.

The house we are in we bought from the family who has owned it 100+ years, they once owned everything out here "as far as you can see" LOL  Even the road is named after them.  Its a quiet tight neighborhood and everybody watches out for everybody else.  The "newest" resident out here is 5 years now and hes a very nice Highway Patrol officer in his 20s and his wife.

Yea its pretty quiet out here, it pays to have wonderful neighbors.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2040 Posts
  • 1235 Reply Likes
And I thought I was in the boonies.  Sheesh.  My road's got seven houses on it, but four are all near each other on one end, and the other three near each other on my end, and the road is only about 2000 feet long.  

Our "local" village, which was about a mile and half from me, was dissolved a few years back.  There were only a few hundred people living within its limits.  However, within about three road miles of me (mile and a half, straight line), there's a village with about 2,600 people. 

This area used to be hustling and bustling, but like so many other rust belt communities, it's slowly losing any semblance of that.  Heck, even the movie theater in the nearby village closed in the 80s, though they have a decent sized Harley event in the village every year to raise money for its refurbishment.  
(Edited)
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Hey Ron, I drove through Ohio once, on I-70, sorry about everything. Strange that you are in an isolated area and it has high crime. I am isolated and crime is low here. There is lots of unoccupied land where I am at and the average home is on 10 acres. Hunting and gun laws are very lax in this and the surrounding counties. I can legally shoot right off my back porch, I hear gun shots daily from hunters and target shooters. I think that keeps everyone around me safe.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1095 Posts
  • 672 Reply Likes
The area is high crime because of what the county exports. Nothing down there as far as real jobs, unless you work for the government. One of the poorest counties in the state, but not THE poorest.

My doctor did his residency in the area we are talking about. Told me the story that brought their 16 year old daughter to him because she COULDN'T get pregnant. Yea.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 311 Posts
  • 201 Reply Likes
GabeU  this "section" of my road with 12 houses is 2 miles, its a mile off the state road before the first one.  Then it turns hard right and changes to gravel another 2 miles.  On that far end there are 6 more houses, mostly cousins to the guy beside me whose grandparents lived in the house on the very corner down there.  The state cop bought the house behind me after my neighbors father died ... thats 3 generations on the same road, unless you count the adjoining road across the hollar where his brother, his kids, and grandkids live, thats 5 generations in the same neighborhood ... YEA its THAT tight out here!

Will, its the isolation out here that protects us.  When you get in the populated areas where there are a lot of welfare and rental  properties and people dont have "roots" the drugs and theft are horrible.  Out here its crimes of opportunity, if some low life scum is just "cruising" the area and something is out where it can be grabbed, it probably will be.  Last year one of my neighbors lost a 4 wheeler that broke down in his field.  Just last week I lost a trailer parked in the weeds by my neighbors barn.
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 97 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Here, houses average over a mile apart, often considerably more than that, very rarely is there more than one in close proximity, except for families, sometimes a kid will put in a house when they are working on the farm/ranch.  My neighbor is over a mile away.  Average property size is about 1200 acres, and less than 2 people per square mile.  70 miles to a movie theater or Walmart.  Very minimal crime, not much with drugs, etc.  The village is 15 miles away, probably less than 200 people by now, a one register probably less than 1500 sq. ft. grocery store is the only retail business other than a gas station (a couple tractor repair/welding places).
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
I live on a 1/2 mile long gravel road in the woods with only one other house on it. The road dead ends at a river. It does get some traffic as the neighbor at the end of the road sells baked goods, vegetables and plants they grow. I leave my keys and wallet in my vehicle and the house and shop unlocked. Nothing missing in almost 10 years.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I don't believe any of you all are as isolated as I am. I have 2 neighbors within a mile and all of our property is surrounded by several thousand acres of National Forest. So basically, no development allowed which is fine by me.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 320 Posts
  • 204 Reply Likes
Its not the isolation or the seclusion that is the issue.  Yea its 20 miles to anything here, but when there are 10 or 12 STATE ROUTES closed or down to one lane right now within that 20 miles due to slips, landslides or washouts, and thats just what they deem "unsafe".  I am sick off the bills the past 7 years for ball joints, tie rod ends, shocks, struts, wheel bearing hubs, springs, shackles, spring hangers, tires, rims, or my 1 ton Dodge Cummins I just got rid of with a broken frame!  We had one bump so bad out here 3 of us had broken radiators the same week.  The hit was so hard the plastic tank separated from the aluminum core.

Cell service doesnt bother me.  I hate phones.  Before I "retired" I carried 3 of them, now I dont even own one, my wife has a smart phone and I dont even know how to work it.

I knew full well I was stuck out here with satellite TV.  No big deal, I was with DirecTV Oct 11 1994, the day after they started service.  Now I am disgusted paying out the butt for the same stinking shows over and over all day long!  Cut the cord everybody says, watch what you want when you want online ... I CANT BECAUSE I HAVE SATELLITE INTERNET!!

So yea, I pay out the butt for satellite internet, and cant do half what people with normal internet can do!  ITS PITIFUL!  5 AM Sunday morning right now still in my LNFZ and I have 6 Mbps (the highest I seen in over a week!) but I am in restriction so about an hour from now that will drop to around 200 Kbps.

They brag about providing "unlimited high speed internet" to rural subscribers that performs better than DSL???  Its anything but unlimited, anything but high speed, and doesnt perform worth a crap!!  Yet they charge us out the nose for it!  I am on a fixed income and I get by.  I dont mind paying for special things to supplement my chosen lifestyle out here, BUT I WANT SOMETHING IN RETURN FOR MY MONEY!!!
Photo of Corey Anderson

Corey Anderson

• 102 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Ron, have you looked into OrbyTV as an alternate TV provider?  I've been considering it. Only issue is no sports and you have to use an antenna for the locals.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 450 Posts
  • 133 Reply Likes
It is a pain to live in a rural area, but it is a choice that many of us make. We gain in some areas, but lose in others and internet is one area in which we lose.

We have three choices: move somewhere that has the internet we want, find a way to get internet to our area or simply live with it. It is a choice. I chose to try to get internet to my area and it looks like it will be successful in a few more years, but it was a lot of work.

And everyone is on a fixed income. I used to think that was a ridiculous statement before I retired and I still think it is ridiculous. I don’t know of anyone who can magically make their employer pay them more money. So, we are all on a fixed income in the short term.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 320 Posts
  • 204 Reply Likes
Voyager I guess I look at it differently.  When I was "able" to work I mainly did heavy construction, dump trucks, heavy equipment operator etc   There were no set hours and there was ALWAYS something that needed done.  Over my life I became a "decent" mechanic, body man, welder, you name it and if my current employer didnt have extra work, somebody else did.  I never had problems coming up with "extra" money.  At one time I worked my "regular" job 11 hours a day 5 days a week, and hooked up a 3rd shift highway project 10 hours a night.  It was hell, but I was younger and healthier then and really liked those paychecks!

As for my "choices" you are 100% correct ... I CHOSE to pay a premium price for the privilege of what they claim is unlimited high speed internet that can do anything DSL can do, when the only factual part of that statement is the PREMIUM PRICE!
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Sometimes I wish I was more like my neighbor, who couldn't care less about internet. He pays all of his bills the old fashioned way through the USPS or in cash. No smartphone either, just a regular old flip phone.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
I think what you get in rural areas varies quite a bit through out the USA. I have a customer that lives in a town of 1,000 people in Montana. He says he is 75 miles from the nearest town that has a Home Depot. I am only 25 miles away from a town with a Home Depot, they got government grants for hard wired broadband, piped in natural gas and water. All I got is electricity, a well and wireless internet.

Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
I got a flip phone, problem is I am self employed. I need the internet to interact with customers and order business supplies. People assume these days you have good reliable internet, if you don't, business wise you are at a big disadvantage. I own a small machine shop. I don't think I could tell a prospective customer to snail mall a blueprint to me and I will quote their job.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
My neighbor is retired so he doesn't have to worry about snail mail being slow.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 452 Posts
  • 137 Reply Likes
How is this for spectacular performance?
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
I still am shocked how you can even test that low. When mine was real bad with Viasat it always timed out.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 418 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Which speed test utility do you use? I have found Ookla to be very capable. It would consistently measure even the DSL speeds I had which also often were this slow. It does time out occasionally, but usually only of the connection is lost completely.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
I use testmy.net.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2040 Posts
  • 1235 Reply Likes
I use testmy.net, too.  I couldn't use speedtest if I wanted to, as it doesn't work for me.  
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 418 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Interesting. Ii have used Ookla’s products on my iMac, my PC and my iPad and never had a problem with it working.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2040 Posts
  • 1235 Reply Likes
This is what I get every time I try to run a test there.  Sometimes I get this error before I even try to run it...

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2040 Posts
  • 1235 Reply Likes
I should add that my latency with HughesNet is no higher than those using ViaSat.  Usually in the 600-650ms range. 
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1095 Posts
  • 672 Reply Likes
After having satellite internet for over 20 years, testmy.net is the gold standard to test satellite internet performance, despite what anybody else says. 
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
@Gabe, weird. I've never had a problem with speedtest.net on Exede/Viasat. It usually gives similar results as testmy. With latency being the same I wonder what is causing it not to work on Hughes?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2040 Posts
  • 1235 Reply Likes
It used to work, but even then it was a bit temperamental, especially if I used an ad blocker.  I've seen others with HughesNet not be able to use it.  

But, even when it did work, it was always way off with my upload speed results.  It would never climb above about 700Kbps or so, while in reality the upload speed was, and still is, around 2.5 - 3Mbps.  
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 418 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
testmy may be your gold standard, but the rest of the world uses speedtest. More than 5 million daily visits vs 38,000. I will stick with speedtest. https://compare.easycounter.com/testm...
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2040 Posts
  • 1235 Reply Likes
Something tells me that the 38,000 number is just a tad bit off.  Especially considering they've done 1000 tests in 20 minutes, and at 8:30AM to 8:50AM, EST.   

They still may not do as many as speedtest, but I wouldn't count on that meaning that speedtest is better.  speedtest is simply the first one that comes up in a search, so more people will use it.  testmy.net showed up on page 3 in a Google search for "speed test". 
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1095 Posts
  • 672 Reply Likes
The gold standard for testing SATELLITE internet. I could care less what the rest of the world uses since most of the world fortunately does not have satellite internet.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 418 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Speedtest works great on satellite and all other forms of networks I have used it on. DSL, Cable, fiber.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2040 Posts
  • 1235 Reply Likes
Speedtest works great on satellite 
ViaSat and some HughesNet.  There are other HughesNet users that it doesn't work for, either.  Not all, but some.  And with the ones I have I have seen use it, the upload is almost always wrong for them, too.  I don't know why that is, but for some reason it just doesn't test HughesNet's upload speed properly, or it at least gives erroneous results.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1095 Posts
  • 672 Reply Likes
Each speed testing site has their own methodologies to test speed. Some work well on satellite, others don't.

The most accurate I have found is testmy.net.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 320 Posts
  • 204 Reply Likes
FINALLY!  Viasat is gone. Just got a reading at 4PM during peak time of 16 Mbps!  My last reading on Viasat ... 124 Kbps.

Looked at TestMy net history, I checked my speed 20 times in the past month, only 7 were above 5 Mbps, only two of them were over 10, and all of them were during my LNFZ.  The funny thing is I know I had two additional readings not on the graph, 78 Kbps and 67 Kbps little over a week ago.  Do they not record readings below 100 Kbps?

As soon as the installer left we called to terminate Viasat.  They honestly tried to keep us by offering us $30 a month off "unlimited" can you believe it?  THEY JUST DONT GET IT!!!  Why would  I pay more money for more data at 3 - 4 Mbps??  (If Im lucky)  Even my LNFZ speeds suck lately, yea its the ONLY time I see "decent" speeds, but last week at 2:30 AM in the heart of my LNFZ 3.8 Mbps???

Then to top it all off I JUST caught a new (to me) ad on TV  Viasat "Fast For All" campaign.  Like where you live but want to stay connected?  Now you can with Viasat "super fast, unlimited data" internet.  I laughed so hard my sides still hurt!

PITIFUL!
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1409 Posts
  • 837 Reply Likes
Congrats Ron!!!

Yes, the commercial has a lot of issues. I posted about it but Viasat pulled it off this board. Sonething I dont think they want consumers in the know to talk about!
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
The ads on broadcast TV here say free standard installation but if you put in the zip codes the station the ads are on reach installation costs $150 not free. I saw some old posts from a year ago where the Viasat employees in here admitted the ads were misleading and claiming 3x faster than DSL should be removed. What was comedy is you had some champions saying the ads were good. I am guessing the employees were told not to comment on the ads.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Hey Ron, glad you escaped Viasat, hope your new service keeps up the good speeds.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1409 Posts
  • 837 Reply Likes
I too would be curious. Wireless is working for me now, but never know. Companies unilaterally modify their internet plans from time to time, making those plans unusable. So a contingency needs to be in place!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2159 Posts
  • 1319 Reply Likes
Ron,

It may actually improve a bit, too.  After the install it can sometimes take until the next day for it to be fully up to speed, though I'm not really sure why.  I think it may have something to do with updating software and parameters and such within the modem, but that's only a guess.  

Glad it's working well for you.  :)  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
@Ron, so you ended up going with Hughes?
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1409 Posts
  • 837 Reply Likes
Yes he did. Viasat is pretty much worthless in our area. They want $150 to install it. A 65GB "up to" 12Mbps plan run $200+/month.

Anybody that does their homework would find Hughesnet is the better deal, at least in southeast Ohio.

With Ron leaving, that is three former Viasat custoners that post on here and were on the same beam. As Ron said, the aystem performance just kept getting worse and worse. At some point a customer has had it and moves on. Perhaps that will improve service for the remaining subs!
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I'm thinking of switching to one of the Liberty plans or trying out HN. Throttling on my Freedom plan has gotten pretty bad except for early morning/late night hours.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 320 Posts
  • 204 Reply Likes
Yes fmj77 HN got installed yesterday. 

Im just an old man who is not computer savvy, I do email, Facebook, play a couple social media games (Forge of Empires and Clash of Clans) and I do a bit of internet shopping, mostly Amazon for car, truck, tractor parts, household stuff etc. I still run a 10 year old HP desktop PC, still running Win 7.  The only other person here is my wife, she has a laptop she uses a couple times a month, and a smart phone she has set to manually connect to wifi.  I "usually" had no trouble getting through the month on 10 G just to show how little I use.  When Viasat became too slow to even do what little I do online, it became a PROBLEM!

4 YEARS AGO I was on the phone constantly about slow speeds, yea "up to" 12 Mbps, but the only time I ever saw close to that was during my LNFZ and not long ago it was common to see higher than 12 between midnight and 5 AM, just over a week ago I had 17.2 at 2:30 AM, and at 2 PM I was down to 2.  I had techs here every month because they refused to admit then there was a "congestion issue" so the problem had to be "on my end."  I quit calling them and waited for the almighty Viasat 2, and waited, and waited, and waited, now it is here and my service is WORSE!  It went from "slow" to unbearable, and many times unusable!

My "normal" daytime speeds were 2 - 5 Mbps and back then my restricted speed was 1 - 3, IF I went over data  I COULDNT TELL!  So I refused to pay for more data at basically "restricted speeds" and stayed on my Exede 12/10 plan with my LNFZ.  Last year they changed their policy and my "restricted speeds" dropped below 1 Mbps all day outside my LNFZ.  Basically from noon to midnight my internet was completely USELESS during "peak" congestion.  Facebook wouldnt load, email wouldnt load.

Viasats response to it all has been I need more data, they have been pushing me to go "unlimited" for a long time, even now when we called to cancel.  Why pay $200 a month for "limited" unlimited internet when the wife and I cant even get online at the same time between 3 and 11 PM ??????  She gets on her laptop and nothing loads and literally my PC all but freezes, I have to go offline until she is done with her stuff.

This is a very congested area.  Viasat 1 has limited coverage here, and now Viasat 2 (the savior) has NO coverage here!   Yet this scumbag company continues to charge subscribers here out the bung hole for "unlimited high speed internet" THEY CANT (OR WONT) PROVIDE!!!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2159 Posts
  • 1319 Reply Likes
Hey Ron,

Just so you're aware, your data is refilled on a regular basis for your first twenty days of service.  I don't know the frequency, but at least daily.  Figured I'd mention it, just in case your data usage readings didn't make a whole lot of sense.  
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 320 Posts
  • 204 Reply Likes
Thanks Gabe.  they told us about the constant updates at the beginning and that it would be free data for "a few days" to cover it, but didnt say how many.

They also said my speeds should improve once all the updates are done.  It was 12.8 at hook up, I had the one at 16 earlier, but others have all been 7 - 8.

Give it time see how it goes.  I understand nothing is perfect and there will be bumps.  I held on to Viasat as long as I could, and many said, much longer than I should have.

Only "problem" we are having now is transferring our phone number from Exede voice to Hughes.  Call them and get somebody who doesnt speak English and has no clue what you are trying to do and 45 mins later FINALLY get done only to call the other place and get another clueless person who doesnt speak English, PROBABLY IN THE SAME BUILDING IN THE SAME COUNTRY!  But you know how that goes.

They wanted us to not disconnect our "current phone" until the transfer goes through.  HUH?  I am NOT paying Viasat for another month of service just to complete our phone number transfer, not to mention ITS GONE!  The parts are sitting here waiting for the box to ship it back.

As it stands right now I guess in the next 10 days we will know if we got "our" number or not.  I really dont want to give everyone our "new" number, then a week from now we suddenly get our old one back.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Ron, I didn't realize the Classic plans were affected by the new policy change. I thought it was only those who were grandfathered in to the old 150GB Freedom and Unlimited plans.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 320 Posts
  • 204 Reply Likes
LOL  I didnt realize it either until I read posts here in the forum about "the email" and people described what was happening.  Thats when I said ... HEY Thats exactly whats happening to me too!

I said they were doing it years ago!  My LNFZ started at midnight, my speed at 11:59 PM could be 4 Mbps, and instantly jump to 16 Mbps at 12:01 AM  THATS NOT "CONGESTION" thats Viasat choking us!

Last week their clock must have screwed up.  The FZ was 12 to 5 and I went from 237 Kbps to 6.4 Mbps at 11 PM and another check was still 7.8 Mbps at 6 AM and dropped to 387 Kbps moments later.  Otherwise, from 5 AM until 12 AM I was below 1 Mbps.  That started a little over a year ago and coincided with "unlimited" the VS2 launch and around the same time as "the email"
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1409 Posts
  • 837 Reply Likes
When I had the free zone, it often kicked in between 11 and 11:30.

FMJ. If I was you, I would try Liberty first. That is the one plan that can save you money and allow you a free zone. Better get it while you can though. As Viasat continues to push people to spend more on limited unlimited plans, it could disappear.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 450 Posts
  • 133 Reply Likes
I am on a Liberty plan and the throttling is intense and now seems to be nearly 24/7. I stayed up well past midnight the other night to get some important things done and it was still under 1 Mbps at 1 AM.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1409 Posts
  • 837 Reply Likes
Yea Voyager. You seem to be having a lot of issues!
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3162 Posts
  • 2034 Reply Likes
FMJ, I switched from the Freedom to the Liberty 12GB - 12 Mbps plan several months ago and have had good speeds, normally around 17 Mbps in the daytime, 10 Mbps in prime times. I also have the prepaid unlimited from Vz that is working well, got that bak in March when Viasat started messing with their data slowdowns on the 150GB plans. I went to the Liberty 12GB mostly as a backup, and $50 a month less than the Freedom was. The Vz plan works most of the time, but on holiday weekends it has sometimes become unusable due to  the heavy traffic on my tower. I don't mind paying the $50 a month as a backup internet for my home for those times my Vz wireless is giving me slow speeds. I have gone over the priority data on my Liberty a few time, and still had speeds over 8 Mbps, so it has been working so much better than the speed restricted Freedom was.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 450 Posts
  • 133 Reply Likes
I had good results the first two months I had Liberty, but since it has gotten progressively worse. When I called in, I was basically told I was a “heavy user” and that they would restrict you more the more data you use. Yes, I am a heavy user as I use the internet as it was intended. So, if you are a light user, Liberty is probably a good choice, but if you are a heavy user, they will throttle you until you can’t do anything but sent email.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
You need to get to AA if you are a heavy user.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1409 Posts
  • 837 Reply Likes
Seriously, just utilize the free zone more if you can.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 450 Posts
  • 133 Reply Likes
Viasat is a great internet solution if you really don’t need to use the internet.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1409 Posts
  • 837 Reply Likes
That would be satellite internet and most wireless plans.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 450 Posts
  • 133 Reply Likes
Most wireless plans are far better than most satellite plans. They are half the cost for one thing and generally at least twice the speed.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1409 Posts
  • 837 Reply Likes
I meant in terms of available data.

But yes. Both offer limited "unlimited" data, but wireless is cheaper and with low latency. Makes a difference!
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 320 Posts
  • 204 Reply Likes
Steve, you sir are their model demographic.  Just the fact you have VZ shows you have other options.  You claim it is your "back up internet" which means you are a light user.  For me it is my primary source of internet and in 7 years I have not seen double digit day time speeds never mind prime time speeds.  LNFZ  NO PROBLEM!  One night I saw 26 Mbps.  That is exactly how they claim its designed to work, and does work, or should I say "can" work.  It is precisely their "Fast For All" attitude that is the problem!  They promise the same, and charge the same, but depending on your plan and location your service or quality of service is VERY DIFFERENT!  There is no consolation what so ever for subscribers like me who do not enjoy the same quality of service you do, and after a while Viasats "not our problem" attitude gets old.  Heres your bill, we already took our money.

Its also noteworthy that a year ago this post would have been slammed with Viasat supporters proclaiming "they" have no issues with "their" service and sometimes flat out ridiculing the OP, but since the restriction/throttling/prioritizing changes some of them are the ones complaining, while a majority of them are simply GONE.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
I found some year old posts where the hardcore Viasat fans were saying the TV ads were great even while the Viasat employees said they should not be saying it is better than DSL.The worse part about the fans is they acted like they earned their good service making sure their install was good and maintaining everything. Most of them eventually vanished when things went south for most everybody.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1409 Posts
  • 837 Reply Likes
I only hang around to irritate. But then, I didn't unilaterally change the terms and conditions of how my plan worked.

Would I have recommended Viasat two years ago. Most definitely. Now? Not to anybody in Ohio.

Viasat only needs to look in the mirror to see who is responsible.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3162 Posts
  • 2034 Reply Likes
Ron, Viasat is now my backup internet, my Vz internet is my primary since it is truly unlimited, and speeds are sufficient to meet my HD streaming needs.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1409 Posts
  • 837 Reply Likes
I am like you Steve, but I dropped Viasat completely (didnt have the Liberty plan even available to me).

Other issues with Viasat.

1) Not all Gold/Silver/Bronze plans are created equal.
2) Variable pricing. I pay one price, my neighbor pays another.
3) Some areas get free install, others don't.

I could go on, but enough said!
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 320 Posts
  • 204 Reply Likes
LMAO!  I did recommend Viasat ONCE and never heard the end of it!  My neighbors got it and blew through their data the first day and had NOTHING!   They are heavy users.  Whole family "lives" on their smart phones sharing pictures and videos non stop.  Youngest son (high school) is a gamer.  As soon as they went over data it was unusable. 

Two days after install they were fighting with Viasat to get out, even called a lawyer.  Salesman told them NO PROBLEM streaming, NO PROBLEM gaming it can do anything DSL can do!

They went HN and told me until they moved 5 months ago I needed to dump Viasat and go HN.

Shame to see them go, but their house is old like mine and needs work.  Family issues were forcing them to buy out the mortgage and the bank wanted like 3 times what the place is worth.  They opted to pay a little more for a nicer, newer house in a much better location with water, sewer, CABLE TV AND INTERNET!

Cant blame them, but now it sucks having an abandoned house next door watching it go to crap.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 450 Posts
  • 133 Reply Likes
Yes, latency makes a big difference. I wish wireless were an option where I live, but I am over the hill from the nearest cell tower and barely can send messages. Most cell calls drop before the call can be completed. The good news is that fiber is coming and then life will be grand from an internet perspective.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 450 Posts
  • 133 Reply Likes
Anyone who recommends that a neighbor with DSL that is good enough to stream video should switch to Viasat should be strung up by their finger nails! You must have REALLY disliked those neighbors!
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 320 Posts
  • 204 Reply Likes
OMG I WISH I COULD GET WIRELESS HERE!  I am on Social Security, my wife is disabled, we qualify for internet subsidized by the state of Ohio for $14.99 a month IF there was a tower nearby to get sufficient signal!

Ironically I also qualified for the infamous "Obama phone" but I dont own a cell phone, there is no signal here, and I dont go out much so I had an option to get $15 a month landline phone service (I had Exede voice) or get $15 a month off my internet bill.  Viasat does not participate in the program.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1409 Posts
  • 837 Reply Likes
10 years ago I drove from Colorado back to Ohio. I had cell service the entire way, until 3 miles from my home!!!
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 320 Posts
  • 204 Reply Likes
Voyager ??  No DSL out here.  NOTHING OUT HERE thats why they moved.

Bank wanted @$100K for a 125 yr old house that needs work, needs a $20K septic system, water has to be trucked in, no central air OR HEAT (gas fired space heaters in each room) no cell service, no cable TV and no DSL.

They put that $100K toward a house in the 21st century.