Outgoing Email Problems Following Cap

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • In Progress
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: older post

I hit my data cap yesterday, and now I can't send outgoing email using my regular ISP (where I am an employee) but I can send email using my gmail account settings. I've restarted the modem and my router and that hasn't helped. 
I am using an Apple MacBook Pro with Thunderbird 31.5.0 in this instance and have turned off all the TLS settings in the outgoing mail profile.

I can telnet to the mail server from my MacBook using the terminal program.
telnet mail.mcn.org 587
Trying 216.150.240.141...
Connected to mail.mcn.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 smtp2.mcn.org ESMTP Exim 4.84 Sat, 28 Mar 2015 16:52:35 -0700

I have tried multiple times between 3 PM and 5:15 PM Pacific Daylight time on 3/28/15.

I have tried resetting my home router.

Again this was not a problem until I hit the cap.

I have opened a ticket with Exede Case # 00401419

Does Exede only allow outgoing mail to gmail servers after you hit the cap? 

This was not a problem yesterday. I'm posting here in case anyone has an answer. 
Photo of The Billing Clerk

The Billing Clerk

• 26 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
  • Frustrated!

Posted 5 years ago

The Billing Clerk

• 26 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I am pleased to report that tonight at 7:25 PM (6/17/15) I can confirm that I am still under DAP and my usage monitor shows that I've used all my bandwidth, but I am able to use my ISP's outgoing mail server to send e-mail. Here's the telnet test which had previously returned the instantaneous "Connection closed by foregin host" message now showing that the session is not closed. I've also sent a couple of test messages which were successful. Obviously, I'll keep a close eye on this and will report any further issues, but tonight it looks like the Exede team has made progress on this issue.

telnet mail.mcn.org 587

220 smtp3.mcn.org ESMTP Exim 4.84 Wed, 17 Jun 2015 19:24:57 -0700

helo mcn.org

250 smtp3.mcn.org Hello mcn.org [172.243.158.240]

Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hello The Billing Clerk, which is great news! Glad to hear you’re getting some positive results from the troubleshooting our engineers are working on. Please continue to update us on your results.
Photo of jebba

jebba

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have this exact problem. I spent way too much time debugging this, I wish I had seen this thread earlier. Thanks for so clearly documenting what the issue is. I spoke to various techs on the phone, all of them denied that they blocked any ports. Well, the first level tech said they "just block port 80". Heh.

My ticket is 00483249.

Thanks again TheBillingClerk!

-Jeff

The Billing Clerk

• 26 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Sorry to report that this problem is back again. It's very frustrating that the Exede network team keeps doing this. I've filed a ticket with Exede (#00493512) support. 

I'm again having issues sending email out from to my local ISP's outgoing email service since my account was DAP'd earlier this week. At the same time you allow connections to Google's outgoing mail servers.
Please note that I had this problem for four months earlier this year. Please see ticket 00422386 for a previous instance of this problem. I hope we don't have another four months of this problem. The problem was fixed last month but is back again this month.

Here's the technical details. Please forward these to your network support team so they can fix this (again).

When I open a session to my email server.
 telnet mail.mcn.org 587
220 smtp2.mcn.org ESMTP Exim 4.84 Sat, 25 Jul 2015 08:25:25 -0700
helo mcn.org
Connection closed by foreign host.

When I open a connection to Google outgoing email servers you allow the connection.
telnet smtp.googlemail.com 587
Trying 64.233.160.16...
Connected to googlemail-smtp.l.google.com.
220 smtp.googlemail.com ESMTP t23sm7067210oif.19 - gsmtp
helo mcn.org
250 smtp.googlemail.com at your service
Photo of jebba

jebba

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
They wrote me back 10 days ago saying "I'll have someone take a look at the ports for you."  I haven't heard back.

I am on a business account, without email. What a joke.

-Jeff

The Billing Clerk

• 26 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Happy to report that my outgoing email access is now working again. 
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2408 Posts
  • 475 Reply Likes
Hi The Billing Clerk,  I appreciate you letting us know it is working again.  I have submitted you issue to be reviewed. 
Photo of jebba

jebba

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I still have not received any response from them since they wrote two weeks ago "I'll have someone take a look at the ports for you."

-Jeff
Photo of jebba

jebba

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ah, this is cute, no wonder why they didn't write back. I just followed up on the ticket and their auto responder wrote back:

"We’ve received your recent email regarding case 00483249. Because this case has already been closed, we ask that you create a new request if you need further assistance. You can create a new request from our Contact Us page."

So they "solved" the problem by just closing the trouble ticket and not contacting me.

-Jeff
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Not necessarily... I've sent them emails before too and when I try to reply its said the case was already closed. Just send them a new email with you info again and pit your name of something in the subject line so they can find it between all the other emails they get.
Photo of jebba

jebba

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
A closed ticket is a closed ticket, meaning they consider the matter done. That's what closing a ticket means. Sending them new mails opens a new ticket.
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
No I think anlot of those replies are their automated system that closes the ticket and then you get that reply back or sometimes the system sends you that email even though the ticket is not closed
Photo of jebba

jebba

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Well, then their system must be a mess of duplicate bugs. Because they say the ticket is closed, and give you a link to contact them, which opens a new ticket. My second ticket is 00497338. So now there are two tickets in their system for one issue. No wonder.
Photo of jebba

jebba

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
My connection is still broken.
Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hi Jebba, thank you for reaching out to us. For quick assistance in relation to your connection please feel free to contact our Customer Care Line at 1-855-463-9333 so they can resolve these issues. Thank you 
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.