Outage for 4 days

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
Outage for days in Central Illinois. In and out (mostly out). Anyone else? Reasons?
Photo of James Irvin

James Irvin

• 72 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Call Viasat at 855-463-9333 and as them to look into it.
Photo of James Irvin

James Irvin

• 72 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Yeah. Right.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
You asked right? There may be a problem on your beam, weather issues or a problem with your equipment. The only way to find out is to call them.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3463 Posts
  • 1297 Reply Likes
Yeah outages don't last nearly that wrong. Issue might be with your location/dish being out or a modem issue. I'd suggest calling 855-463-9333 
Photo of skipbo2015

skipbo2015

• 37 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Customers are regularly and haphazardly cut off days, even weeks at a time when business, government or military use is needed.  Don't like it?  Give us the money we expected you to pay for 2 years and cut it off.  No loss to Viasat.  They get our money AND keep the government contract.    You know it, I know it.  It's how the technology must work.  Residential service is 30% of Viasat's business.  Do you expect us to believe that Viasat is calling up the military and says, "sorry you went over your data this month... better sign up for a new plan or wait until your billing cycle renews?"   We're not stupid.   Viasat should just be honest about it, that's all.
Photo of James Irvin

James Irvin

• 72 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Been up for about 4 hours now. Hopefully that is the end of it.
Photo of skipbo2015

skipbo2015

• 37 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Folks it ALL depends on where you are, which satellite you're on and how many others are on that same "node."   It will be different for different areas.   That's why, since satellite internet first came into existence it has always been referred to generally as, "unreliable."   The signal TO your house can be managed reliably (Dish, Direct TV) but internet access requires a second signal FROM your house and that is an unknown variable and why it cannot be managed reliably.  They "guess" and pre-determine the amount of signal you will need going FROM your house and when you go over, rather than risk the services of others, they will either cut you off or slow you down appropriately, depending on your plan and the number of others on your "node."   It is what it is.   You wouldn't be able to afford it any other way and they have to make sure their government and business contracts have all they need.   You know how you put your card in at a gas station pump and in the middle of nowhere at the side of the road it magically reads your card, determines it's validity and turns on the pump?   That's all satellite and they ain't risking that system going down that's for sure.  When you get a ticket and the cop is in his car filling out and printing a ticket communicating with his superior, the criminal data base and maybe even a judge?   That's all satellite and they ain't about to risk that system goin down neither - not to mention the huge pull the military has on the system.   Starting to see how this all works and where we lie in the food chain?
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Want happened Skipbo? You used to crap on people that complained about Viasat, now you are one of them.
Photo of skipbo2015

skipbo2015

• 37 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
yup changed my mind.   i had to realize myself they are shady company doing whatever they have to do to make a buck and do not care about the residential side of their business.
Photo of James Irvin

James Irvin

• 72 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Turns out the dish mount was wiggly. At least I think.
We’ll see.
Photo of Brenda Kara

Brenda Kara

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Maybe a software update. I needed to do that and I got a walk though with my provider. I hope they help you, it took over a month to fix the ugly problem.