Our security system uses almost 10gb a day. What can we do to save data?

• Question
  • Updated 10 months ago
We currently have 6 devices using our data. According to our mobile app we are utilizing 10gb a day out of our monthly allotment of 60. We do not understand how this can be as we are not home during the day, and only watch approximately 2 hours a night of streaming programs. We believe it may be our security system that is using the most data, but we only disarm and arm in the morning and night. Any help would be appreciated because last month we went through 200 gb!
Photo of Deborah Jacqueline Nunn

Deborah Jacqueline Nunn

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
There can be many reason for excessive data usage. Email your contact and account information to Viasatlistens@viasat.com and, request a usage review. They will be able to give you a better idea of what types of activities your data is being used for.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 374 Posts
  • 159 Reply Likes
Deborah,

Here is a link that discusses the factors involved in data usage of security systems.

https://blog.cammy.com/data-wireless-home-security-systems

Things like high resolution video, number of cameras, saved data vs transmitting it to the cloud are all factors.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2175 Posts
  • 1336 Reply Likes
If a DirecTV receiver is one of those six devices, disconnect it.  They can chew through data very quickly, even when no On Demand viewing is being done.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
2 hours of streaming can use 10GB/day. But it sounds like you are on an "unlimited" plan so that wouldn't be it because streaming is throttled.
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 439 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
You may have cameras that are utilizing cloud storage.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
My dad's security system uses about 18GB per month on the lowest resolution setting. That kind of gives you an idea that maybe it shouldn't be connected with Viasat.
(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3510 Posts
  • 1317 Reply Likes
I'd have to know what security system to make a more educated reply to what could be happening but I know a lot of these systems do use data when not in use for updates but cameras are a different beast. Some use A LOT, others use far less and the doorbell cameras I know use quite a bit. Nathan has a really good point about the cloud storage so I'd check that

Obviously you need that security system so I'd look into the other devices or the settings. GabeU is very correct about the Satellite TV receiver. If you email us at viasatlistens@viasat.com we can see what might be using the most data.