Orby satellite TV

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • Acknowledged
Has anyone, or anyone you know tried the new Satellite service called Orby?

https://www.multichannel.com/news/orby-tv-partners-with-eutelsat-for-new-satellite-tv-service

Photo of wm4bama

wm4bama, Champion

• 439 Posts
  • 280 Reply Likes

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 710 Posts
  • 260 Reply Likes
I have self installed Orby TV for myself and at my neighbor's and my son's homes.  The OTA antenna that is included with the system isn't worth much unless you live close to the OTA channels. You can use the OTA antenna that you already have, if any or you can install the antenna of your choice.  You can have a maximum of four satellite receivers on your account.  You have to buy the equipment,  $100 for the std receiver and $200 for a DVR receiver. DVR service is an additional $4.00/month for the account.   The Sat dish hardware  package is $70.  I'm not really sure if the programming is better than the basic programming paks of Dish or DirecTv.  Seems like the initial investment is pretty steep.
(Edited)
Photo of Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus

• 65 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
They had the equipment for half off at Best Buy last 11/15.  Not helpful now, but it's possible at some point it could go on sale again.  When I looked into it a fair amount, the consensus was that the service was ok.  If I recall correctly, not everything is HD?  Package looked ok.  They leased a small amount of satellite space.  The deal breaker was no locals, which I can't get with any type of antenna.  Although most of the stations are almost 160 miles away, they cover the state news, and don't do what any of the national news does when reporting national things (they just tell what is happening).

As with every year, I negotiated Directv down.  $90 per month off this time, for 12 months.   Total is about $62 complete with tax.  So, considering I have Xtra, one main receiver, a genie on the second, DVR and all that, I wouldn't save a significant amount by going to streaming with something that includes locals, Orby would save a small amount more, not enough to lose locals.

Also, they may remain "OK", but I've wondered about the longevity of their service, if they will keep going.  There's always a market, not everyone can get good internet (why people are here).  Directv is likely shutting down at some point (might be years, but ATT isn't putting anything into them), so there's that.  I just don't know if they will continue, especially when worldwide internet capable of streaming comes around (well, IF it comes around, and IF the caps and pricing are ok).

Michael McDowell

• 710 Posts
  • 260 Reply Likes
The sat receivers aren't nearly as sophisticated as those of Dish or DirecTV.  They have ethernet connections and USB connections but they say those are for "future use".  Also, the system software isn't nearly as "polished" as the other suppliers.  The Guide and recording options aren't as good.   But, they are "OK", they do the job.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 845 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
It doesn't matter currently, but when I checked into it a while back they didn't have any sports channels, so it definitely isn't for sports fans.
Photo of Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus

• 65 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
No sports was a positive for me.  $9.99 for the regional sports fee, ~$120/year for something I'll never watch.  I suppose if it had locals it would add on that fee anyway.
Photo of John

John

• 106 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I have a friend who got sick of the other two guys and tried Orby due to its low cost service (after installation). He's had it now for about six months and he is very pleased. He's not a sports nut and just wanted some basic cable-like tv at a good price. He's far out of the footprint for high speed Internet and terrestrial cable, so this is a good bet for him. Local channels are by antenna, which he already had, so he did not have the installer put the one in that comes with the service. There was a minor issue with scheduling the tech to install it, but my understanding is that the installers are local contractors so service quality may vary. Like I said, he is happy with it.
Photo of Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus

• 51 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
They should be pretty simple to install yourself with the self-install kit.  I installed a regular Dish system in '99, a while after that I installed a Dish 500 (that looked at 2 satellites if I recall right).  It didn't take that long.  Would have been easier with help, but I had the tv turned up to hear the signal.

Michael McDowell

• 703 Posts
  • 259 Reply Likes
The self-install instructions are pretty good.  The signal finder referenced on the last two pages really makes it pretty simple to align, although you could probably get it installed without it.  If you have some help and a lot of patience!  The signal finder is about $30 on Amazon or about $20 on eBay if you want to wait on shipping from China.  I'm sure any signal meter would work if you already have one that you are familiar with using. 

https://orbytv.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Orby-TV-Self-Installation-Guide-20190605.pdf

Right now they are having some specials on installation or you can get the dish with the DVR receiver for $200.  
Photo of wm4bama

wm4bama, Champion

• 439 Posts
  • 280 Reply Likes
Good feedback..it re-enforces that old adage that says "If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.."  ☺☺☺