• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • (Edited)
What options do I have for filtering content with Exede? Normally I use OPENDNS, however my dns settings have been hijacked by Exede. I need to block a variety of sites from our service, but i can not get the opendns to work, nor can i get my routers built in URL blocking to work either..
Photo of Don Bulger

Don Bulger

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • Frustrated

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Judge and Jury

Judge and Jury

• 1317 Posts
  • 737 Reply Likes
You are right, Exede does intercept and redirect DNS. I wonder why??

To test for intercept/redirect, download namebench from HERE (Windows version)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3035 Posts
  • 2980 Reply Likes
I wonder why??
Speculation is that it's required by the Accelenet Client/Server technology, without which we'd all be on Wildblue. 
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 517 Posts
  • 359 Reply Likes
Exede uses there own DNS servers but that shouldn't be any reason the router's URL blocking won't work. On my router that runs ww-wrt I installed one of the ad blocking hosts lists and it blocks hundreds and hundreds of sites.
Photo of pyrotuc

• 19 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
perhaps your computer is set to use exede/default DNS servers, and although you have your own DNS servers set in your router, your computer isnt asking the router, its going straight to exede? assuming there is a wireless router sitting between you and the exede modem. i have my own DNS servers, and i have it set up such that my router has my custom DNS settings, and then my computer is set with my local router and my DNS servers.  surprisingly, i have noticed a decrease in the rate of my data consumption after i ditched exedes DNS servers. any sort of caching my local router performs doesnt seem to make any difference.