One Month with 100mbp and this is my results!

• Praise
  • Updated 1 year ago
Viasat service has been amazing. I have been happy because 90% of the time the speed has been over 100mbps down. The only time it's been bad is heavy storms. We burned over 700gb the first month.
Photo of Casey Grogan

Casey Grogan

• 24 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • Happy

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 317 Posts
  • 103 Reply Likes
What does fast.com give you for a speed with video? Is it locking your to 4mb? Can you stream 4k? If so that should be an extra selling point for the Platinum plan.
Photo of Casey Grogan

Casey Grogan

• 24 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Photo of Casey Grogan

Casey Grogan

• 24 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
As far as I know only 1080p because it says that on plan but I play 4k streaming on Netflix and it's very clear so idk
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Overall those results aren't surprising and is how unlimited data and prioritization would/should work - with a handful of Viasat-2 subscribers, there's no prioritization occurring. Enjoy but don't get used to it - most early adopters of Exede were happy also - then they went and did the unthinkable adding more customers and offering unlimited data when there wasn;t sufficient capacity to support it ;)

(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Yea. If I was burning that much data at those speeds I am not sure how much you want to broadcast that. Thanks for sharing, but as Old Labs is saying, I wouldn't count on this type of performance and usage long term.
Photo of Gregory Davis

Gregory Davis

• 98 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
It's all about location, location, location,...  This sounds like Viasat2 on a lightly used beam.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2788 Posts
  • 1451 Reply Likes
Daaaaauuuuuuuuuuuumn.
Photo of Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver)

Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver), Champion

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
@>@ just one word... SHOLY KAKS!!! @>@ I WISHED I CAN USE THAT MUCH DATA!!! ;-; but your so lucky ;-; i want that kinda speeds and data ;-; and also i wished i can get that downloads of gbs ;-;
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Well that's in a high density spot beam paying over $200/month. The majority of the country neither has that available or willing to pay that much.
Photo of Casey Grogan

Casey Grogan

• 24 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Yeah I'm wondering how long it will last
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
It will last longer for you than a majority of us. Many of us will never even have the opportunity, at least until more satellites get launched.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Most of the country can't get on Viasat 2 or get that kind of performance. Consider yourself extremely lucky.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Maybe with Viasat 3 or 4 I will see plans like that in my area but, not now. I'm happy for you, just jealous :)
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 760 Reply Likes
This opening post has been very enlightening and helps me understand why I got the phone call I did today. Sorry I can't say more but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if folks in the HD beams start seeing their speeds slowed quite a bit after they go over their priority data. The system simply can't handle this type of traffic per customer....that is unless they want to close the beam to new sales. 

Andy
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2180 Reply Likes
Already?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
So you are saying one person eating 800GB in a month at 100Mbps might be a bit much???
(Edited)
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 760 Reply Likes
I tried to warn'em.

Andy
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Well, who's bright idea was it to offer "unlimited" of 150GB priority data. I think that in itself really had a negative impact on overall performance. Then I don't think the video resolution downgrader had the impact they had projected. Then, well, you know the Viasat-2 situation.

Now we are where we are. Viasat-2 isnt having the projected impact, plans have had to be adjusted (downwards) a couple times, and a number of us are experiencing during primetime Wildblue legacy speeds of a decade ago.

If they would have just lowered how much priority data was offered at first. Start conservative and then adjust if you can.
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
I agree. that video downgrade is pretty easy to get around if you're patient. Download videos, don't stream them live. Well downloading the HD or even 4K videos uses the same amount of data as streaming would but, it just takes longer than if we had the speed to stream.

I want an HD off Netflix, I can download it on my phone to the flash drive then, plug it into my TV and watch it. I want it off On Demand, just record it to watch later. YouTube - there are tools to download those too.

Honestly more of my data goes to downloading games than to downloading HD video, though to do grab a 4K for my TV now and then. Really not hard to burn 100GB in just one day, I've done it. Now if I did that every day, 3000GB per month - YIKES that bird up there might just curl up and faint on us all.

Fortunately I understand the limitations and, only did that because I was troubleshooting a game with Windows 10 1803 update that was throwing errors on both download and startup and, refusing to let players even update, new players couldn't get the game, and even if you managed to get updated, you couldn't play. *snarls and growls at Windows 10*
(Edited)
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 369 Posts
  • 157 Reply Likes
Well i average you out Bev, with my 150 silver plan, i have yet to use 100 Gig in a month.  I teach on the internet,, I don't play any games, I do download a few shows to watch later, i do like watching music concerts now and then, and when the grand kids come over they can do their thing without any issues, but mostly doing what i want when i want, not waiting til midnight, :)., That freedom is worth it to me, 105 dollars a month is acceptable to me in the SAT world.

Those that say they used 200 Gig on a small 12, 25 plan because they use the Free Zone, fine, but I come from a background of not just saying Waste not Want Not, i really believe it.
Now if i ever move to an area that has Gigbit service, i'd drop DTV, get a 4K TV and probably use 3 to 400 gig a month and reduce my overall TV and ISP bill by a 1/3.
Until then, we just have to deal with it and be happy we have what we have.........because there are too many real problems that deserve our attention.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Most months I use around 50-60 GB This month Windows 10 bit hard for many gamers and, being one to do my best to solve computer and connection related problems, I had to get the problems to duplicate on my end, That meant uninstalling and reinstalling, with a new download, a rather large game TWICE and, it meant updating, rolling back, then updating windows again.

Problem not solved but, workarounds found until Welbia fixes their cheat and hack detector extension. 
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1281 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
If speeds are slowed without a number of additional new customers coming on board, then I’m confused. Why would speeds suddenly get slower? The system can’t handle it? It obviously can.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Slowed because existing customers grabbed the big unlimited plans when we could. Now instead of having 50 GB then being slowed guaranteed, I have 150 GB and, I MIGHT get slowed after that if my beam is very busy at the time but, if I initiate my request when the beam isn't so busy, I get full speed well beyond my 150 GB. Meaning I can, if I watch the time of day, use thousands of GB of data in a single month.

I understand the problem so, I don't do that but, if I did, I would become the equivalent of 10, 15, even 50 Liberty subscribers. Now if there are even 100 subscribers on a beam that all do that - overload same as if the beam had been oversold by Viasat.

Simply put, with the now grandfathered in early adopters of Unlimited plans that offered 150 GB of priority data and, 25 Mbps speeds or better on beams that are not VS2 spot beams, it's as if there are more customers on the beam since we are free to use more data at higher speeds and, sometimes the beams can't handle what we do. Too many, too much data, too fast for the beam to be able to deliver top speed to anyone.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1281 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
I was under the impression from Andy’s post that he received a call that meant speeds would be decreasing after priority data was used in the immediate future. I took that to mean like now or in a week or so. There is no way to justify a system slowing that rapidly because new customers couldn’t be connected that fast overnight. Maybe I read too much into his post. Slowing over time for congestion is one thing. Slowing because of a new algorithm is totally different.

The conference call today may enlighten us.

In short I took Andy’s post to mean ViaSat 2 was going to become no different than ViaSat 1 even without congestion. Yea, that would make people upgrade.
(Edited)
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 760 Reply Likes
The reason speeds would slow without new onboarding customers is because existing customers are using more and more data. I see this daily. People are buying more devices that require data AND they are simply doing more online than they did a few months ago. Even the amount of data needed to do simple tasks like sending pictures has dramatically increased because of the higher pixel capabilities which results in much larger file sizes. 

That's why I firmly believe that by the time VS3 gets up and running, its actual customer load capability will not be any larger than VS1 because people's usage will have grown even faster than the load capacity of the satellite. 

Andy

BTW, as I typed this message I got interrupted by a phone call and when I submitted it, there were two more posts following up. So if it seems "out of place", that's why.
(Edited)
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 760 Reply Likes
Bradley, sorry I can't comment more on the phone call. 

Andy
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1281 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
Understood on the call part. You’re a smart guy though. We know you didn’t get a call saying people using more data will eventually lead to slower speeds. That’s intuitive and indicative of ViaSat 1 problems. Bandwidth is finite.

People use what they can. Human nature. One guy on here always brags about using 100’s of GB of data on a Liberty 12 plan. I bet we will begin to see ViaSat 2 problem posts in the near future.

Question for you Andy if you don’t mind.

With all the world chasing LEO satellite, and as an installer I’m assuming you would keep up with that, how far away from a mass marketed system do you think we are?

http://www.circleid.com/posts/2018052...
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I wouldn't hold my breath on that technology.

I know Viasat was trying to get ahead of the curve a little with data usage by implementing Viasat-2. But with its issues, they haven't gained much. Andy is correct, Viasat-3 is just to keep up with existing projected demand.
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 760 Reply Likes
Got agree with VetSat...not holding my breath. 

I remember a couple years ago I was wondering if I would still be installing any DTV or Dish systems....after all, in 2 yrs (so I thought) there will be so much bandwidth available, everyone will be streaming everything. 

Andy
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1281 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
More of a fan of OneWeb and Space X to make it happen, but it seems to be the only way to bring broadband to the world. It will happen. How long is the real question. Iridium has about 55 satellites up, and they are showing promise. Probably still 3-5 years away in my humble opinion.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Not convinced it will happen, at least not in this country. Is it really economically feasible? How many people use satellite internet? 2 million tops?
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1281 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
If low latency service was available across the globe at affordable rates, dsl would be out of business.

Lots of people rely on cellular hotspots, dsl, and fixed wireless.

Data caps and speeds are the key. Cellular dead spot augmentation, self-driving cars, etc are all big markets for this as well, in addition to stealing military and aviation contracts from other companies. Cable and fiber are the only competitors, but as fast as technology changes, that may not last very long.
Photo of Kurt Mueller

Kurt Mueller

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Can't wait till this comes into my area!