Offline in northern PA this morning

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Stuck in scanning status this morning in northern PA. Light snow here, but nothing that has bothered the satellite in the past. Must be a ground station having weather issues or the satellite blew up last night.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 748 Posts
  • 236 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1289 Reply Likes
Snow/ice on the dish/tria?

I don't miss those days!

But seriously, I did have to sweep my DirecTV dish last night due to snow on it.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 748 Posts
  • 236 Reply Likes
I have not yet been out to check, but we got only an inch of light snow last night. We recently had an 8” storm with wind and the satellite rode through that just fine. I will be going out to check the dish shortly. I can’t see it from inside the house so I can’t be sure its status.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 748 Posts
  • 236 Reply Likes
Dish and TRIA look fine. It does look like the TRIA was hit by a snow slide off the roof so it may have knocked it outside of alignment given how flimsy the mount is. I questioned the installer about this, be he thought the snow slides would go far enough away from the building as to not be a problem. It hasn’t thus far, but this time it looks like some snow hit the TRIA based on where the snow pattern is on the ground. Looks like $100+ to get an alignment check.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 748 Posts
  • 236 Reply Likes
Not sure why the upload rotated the image 90 CCW, as it is oriented correctly on my phone and ipad.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 724 Posts
  • 318 Reply Likes
Is that held on by self tapping screws with metal framing behind the siding?
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 748 Posts
  • 236 Reply Likes
It is held on by screws that go through the siding into 2x4s laid on edge as furring strips. The bracket is well anchored and shows no signs of having been moved, but then not sure how much it takes. Looks like the snow hit the TRIA mostly as the dish is largely sheltered under the eaves, but the TRIA extends a foot or more past the extent of eave coverage.

I called my local installer, but they said they had to be dispatched by Viasat. So, I called Viasat and spent 10 minutes power cycling the modem (already done at least three times), waiting 5 minutes, waiting for them to open a work order and look up my local installer (which I already knew) and then getting the OK to call the installer to schedule a visit.

Of course, this time I get an answering machine unlike the first call where I got right through. The question now is how many days do I have to wait for the installer to get to me... I sure wish Viasat would provide us with the password to access the alignment mode in the modem. I watched the installer and it is a pretty straightforward process. If they can’t get here fairly soon, I will probably give it a shot as I have nothing to lose as it is clearly out of whack now and I will be paying the service visit fee anyway.
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2435 Posts
  • 480 Reply Likes
Voyager,  I do understand your frustration and apologize for all the inconvenience you have experienced. I can escalate it if you would like.  Please send an email to viasatlistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information.

Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 748 Posts
  • 236 Reply Likes
@Diana No need to escalate at this time. I was able to reach the local service company and we have scheduled a visit tomorrow afternoon. I am hoping it is just an alignment issue due to the snow slide and not a hardware problem, but hopefully I will know by the end of the day tomorrow. I am not sure if most Viasat service agents carry spare parts, but I am hoping it is just an alignment issue. If it is alignment due to snow falling from the roof, I now have to figure out how to shelter the TRIA so it can’t happen again.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2467 Posts
  • 1514 Reply Likes
Are you sure it's just the picture and that it didn't actually knock it 90 degrees off kilter?  J/K!  :)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1289 Reply Likes
I wouldn't think snow would knock dish and/or tria off alignment. Both should be secure enough to withstand hurricane force winds, allegedly.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 748 Posts
  • 236 Reply Likes
@ExSat. I won’t know for sure until the tech arrives to look at it. Possibly it is the TRIA, but given the pile of snow under the dish after we lost signal, that is still my first suspicion. Hopefully, I will know by mid afternoon today. I was pleasantly surprised that they work on Saturday.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1289 Reply Likes
Keep us posted!

I know you will, but often people get hysterical on here about a problem, never to then explain the ultimate resolution to it.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 748 Posts
  • 236 Reply Likes
@ExSat. LOL. I don’t get hysterical. I am halfway though the 12 - 2 time window and still no phone call or technician (supposed to call first to ensure I was here).
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 748 Posts
  • 236 Reply Likes
Wrote too soon. The phone just rang and they are on their way with 2:00 ETA.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 748 Posts
  • 236 Reply Likes
Back in business. The tech swapped the TRIA first since that is easier than doing an alignment. No difference. So, he loosened the dish and started the alignment process and soon it was giving a steady tone. Did the fine turn alignment and swapped back my original TRIA and the modem came and connected per normal.

I am fortunate to have a good local installation company to work with. Now I just have to get some ice guards up in my roof so this hopefully doesn’t happen again. However, I’m not going 14’ up a ladder onto a steel roof when it is 10 degrees out with a stiff wind blowing.
Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 145 Reply Likes
Must have been a very heavy pile of snow and/or ice to knock it out of alignment.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 748 Posts
  • 236 Reply Likes
Not really, It was a sheet of snow about 3” thick, but probably 14’ long that came off of a steel roof about 8’ above the dish. Looks like it hit the TRIA and torqued the mount. There was a slide make on the one arm where the clamp had slipped a couple inches. I was tempted to try to move it back myself, but I knew I could not find tune it without access to the alignment mode which, of course, Viasat won’t provide information for.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2467 Posts
  • 1514 Reply Likes
The downside of a steel roof.  Well, one of them.  I just got a new steel roof put on my house over the summer, and boy oh boy that snow just loves to slide off of that sucker.  I can hear it when it starts and can almost feel it as it's hitting the ground.  

I have the stoppers right above my door so the snow doesn't come down on my head, but it doesn't stop icicles from forming on the edge.    

I live in a slanted A-frame, and the steel roof caused the roof to get hotter than it used to, which means it's hotter inside up at the peak.  And, because it's so hot, it's causing condensation on the wood paneling on the ceiling, and it starts dripping.  I have to put a fan up in the loft that aims right down the peak line, blowing that hot air out of there to keep the condensation thing from happening.  The Amish are coming back in the spring to come up with a more permanent solution, which will probably be them taking the metal panels back off and cutting sections of the 1x6 slats out so that air can circulate up from the eave to the peak to vent the hot air out.  They attached 1.6 slats to the roof and to attach the metal to, but they are full length, which means there's no way air can circulate from the eave to the roof due to the slats blocking its path.  Cutting sections out should allow it to happen and stop the raining in here.    
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 724 Posts
  • 318 Reply Likes
All this snow talk, here in Central Va we have had the mildest winter since I have been here 10 years. Only a couple snow flurries that only lasted minutes. Day time highs have always exceeded freezing and not once has the temp dropped to single digits over night. It usually snows a half dozen times at about 6 inches a crack and we usually get plenty single digit temps over night with day time highs in the 20's. That means this summer is going to have a zillion mosquitoes everywhere.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 748 Posts
  • 236 Reply Likes
I will take a little snow and ice over mosquitos and heat and humidity any day.
Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 145 Reply Likes
I think it's been a mild winter for most of the US. I know January was one of the warmest on record.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1289 Reply Likes
And early spring! Groundhog didn't see shadow!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2467 Posts
  • 1514 Reply Likes
We've had a pretty mild winter here, too.  Maybe seven or eight feet total thus far, which is below average. There's still a ways to go, though.  

During the 2017/2018 winter we got a little over 22 feet.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1289 Reply Likes
Patterns are not going to change now. Don't see a major storm hitting Ohio/Virginia/Maryland/Pennsylvania this year.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 748 Posts
  • 236 Reply Likes
Never say never when it comes to weather.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1289 Reply Likes
Don't doubt Puxatawny Phil!
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 748 Posts
  • 236 Reply Likes
Better check your spelling. LOL.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1289 Reply Likes
Nah. I should have just said Buckeye Chuck! Easier to spell!
But he is a knock off! Lol