Off Topic Question

• Question
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Any ideal How many ppl have to be using a 4G cell Tower before its considered congested? would it be 10,000 devices at one time or more or less? Reason I ask is because they are installing a tower 3 miles from me and I live in a rural area and Wanna know if the speed will be fast most of the time!
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 470 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
Not without knowing the hardware on the tower.  A tower can have multiple Tx/Rex units and often the speed limit is the backhaul channel.  No easy way to guess at the bandwidth.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
well I can tell you its not a typical cell tower, This is just a concrete pole Thick at the bottom and gets skinner as it goes up I think they call it a mono pole! Waiting for Antenna's to be installed a week ago they got the pole up! But hopefully alot of devices will have to be on it before it slows speed way down!
Photo of James

James

• 18 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
No, but I ask you, have you seen many bees since all this next generation stuff rolled out?
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Nope
Photo of James

James

• 18 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hmmmmm.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2235 Posts
  • 1365 Reply Likes
If the tower is in a fairly rural area the speed may be pretty good, at least at first.  Then again, it's likely that they gauge how much capacity the given area will need, so maybe not.  It's really a crapshoot, unfortunately, but easy to find out with a cell phone.  
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Yeah well the tower thats in town now has been up for years and I know that when Im about a mile or 2 from the tower I get over 100 Down but I have never tested the speed at night time in town, Im about 8 miles out of town! But Anyway I guess I will find out soon enough!
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1426 Posts
  • 840 Reply Likes
Depends how the tower is setup. Will it just be a microwave relay or attached to a fiber backbone?

Huge difference depending on how the tower is connected.
(Edited)
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
It will probably be Microwave, I mean The best internet in our town thats NOT wireless is at&T Uverse and it only gets speed at 15 mbps down! we dont have fiber optic! But I have no clue really cause I dont know how towers are set up
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1426 Posts
  • 840 Reply Likes
If in rural area, probably microwave. You will see a dish in tower side.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 275 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
The closest tower to me is right off I-95. I bet during a summer weekend traffic jam it probably sets records for use.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Ex Sat I stopped and talked to one of the employees and he said all there towers are fiber now and I asked him about how many ppl nneed to be on it for it to be congested and he said he dont know cause they dont tell them that
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1426 Posts
  • 840 Reply Likes
Which provider?
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
At&T
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1426 Posts
  • 840 Reply Likes
Could be. My Verizon tower no way. You can see the microwave dish on the side and no fiber runs to it.

The tower in town connected to a fiber backbone screams. My tower does "okay". I dont always get great speeds, but I can count on one hand how many times I couldn't stream in over 6 months. With satellite internet, streaming during primetime even with priority data failed many times a month.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Ok Awesome, Well I think I will be fine once its up and running, I know the tower in town screams too espcially close to it over 100 down! The new tower I will be 3 miles from it so Im guessing I will get at least 25-30 down maybe more But will be glad when its operational! Im 6.5 miles away from the tower now and Im currently getting a ping of 71 and download speed of 2.60 as of 8:07 PM ESt
Photo of bubs

bubs

• 59 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Have you tried something with an external antenna?  You might not need it in the future, but wouldn't hurt anything anyway, and they aren't that expensive, if you have a device to plug one into.  I don't follow ATT much, but ipad plan looks like what I'd try (in another device).

No Vz towers around get that kind of speed (none of the other carriers around at all, 30+ miles).  One tower 10 away leases a line from the locally owned (and up for sale) phone company.  A 1.5 year old tower 13 miles away, the one I use, taps into another line.  Both get about 20-30, post or prepaid, no congestion ever, minimal speed variation.  Fast enough.  Never had an outage, that I noticed anyway.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1426 Posts
  • 840 Reply Likes
Low latency really makes a difference.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Babs, yes I have a antenna and it boost my hotspot to 4-5 bars but I dont think it makes much of a difference in speed! ExSatUser Yes it does When I refresh a page its like BAM loads instantly you can certainly tell the difference Between A low ping and Viasat's Ping! :P
Photo of bubs

bubs

• 59 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
That's kind of odd, especially if you're talking about that fast tower.  Completely different, but I get about 9 with 1 bar in a window 13 miles from the tower.  ~20ish with the antenna (well, booster/antenna), all but one bar, pings in the 20s all the time.  Possibly you have some issue with terrain/frequency etc.  You won't have to think about it that much longer. 
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
The tower Im getting service on its not the one I was talking about in town, To be honest the one Im on now I do not know how fast it is cause I have never did a speed test close to that tower! But here at home the fastest speed I have gotten is 23 down! But yeah Most likely there is alot of interference blocking it! About a mile down the road there is a big clearing and when I do a speed test there I get 20 down!
Photo of bubs

bubs

• 84 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
If I'd have paid attention to the distances you listed, I'd have noticed you meant a different tower. Signals can be finicky. Good luck with the new one.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1585 Posts
  • 931 Reply Likes
You have to point the external antenna directly at the tower, or in the direction of the tower. If not, you could be pulling a signal from a tower further away with degraded performance.

Correctly tuning an external 4G antenna is not easy.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Yeah the tower Im on now im 6.3 miles from, New tower I will be 3.3 miles from it! and The other tower thats in town that I get over 100 down when Im close to it is about 11 miles from me! And Thanks Im sure this new tower will produce well! Current tower I am on has been up for 20 years so there is alot of ppl on it
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1585 Posts
  • 931 Reply Likes
These towers go up very quick too. Once they start, you will be up and running in a few weeks!
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Yeah they got the tower up Wednesday was a week ago, soooooo Im hoping next week it will be ready or at least by Thanksgiving! But I dont even know if they started adding the equipment yet!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.