not getting 360p streaming with Bronze Unlimited during prime time

• Problem
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • Acknowledged
While I'm here, I should let you know about this problem, too.  There's nothing wrong with my equipment.  Bronze Unlimited is often not able to stream at 360p as advertised, for example on YouTube.  I went through this during the World Cup soccer games.  One thing I found out is that the wifi that's built into the Viasat modem limits speed to a degree, so by using an ethernet cable I was able to solve this and it helped.  But even then I found that 360p would sometimes buffer.  I called Viasat customer support and the tech was able to clear/reset the "Web Accelerator" on my account and poof! the problem was gone.  Well, the problem is back!  Download speed during peak hours on weekday evening is very, very poor.  Thanks for your help - obviously I'm trying to reach Viasat staff.
Photo of crystal3tech .

crystal3tech .

• 20 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of yourguytim

yourguytim

• 139 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes

Does your speed look like this yet?
Photo of crystal3tech .

crystal3tech .

• 20 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
8:30pm Hawaii Time

Photo of crystal3tech .

crystal3tech .

• 20 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
This page states "Video streaming at small screen quality, typically 360p."  There is no mention of reduced quality during the time that everyone wants to stream, which is weekday evenings.  So it is very misleading.  Silver must be suffering from the same issue – not actually streaming at 480p.  Now, if the beam wasn't overcrowded (over-sold), then the issue would not be happening.  So, it's actually not a "given" technical issue.  It's a marketing issue on the part of Viasat.  My work-around for the moment is just to download from YouTube.  I don't use Netflix.  I use Google Play, rent the movie, then go over to YouTube to watch it, setting the playback quality on 360p.  If we use the ethernet cable and watch during off-peak (after say 9:30-10pm) it works.  As I said before, there's also something going on with Viasat's "Web Accelerator" – when I called customer support, they were stumped as to why I was not able to stream at 360p, so they eventually tried "resetting" the Web Accelerator on my account, which fixed the problem.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3890 Posts
  • 3965 Reply Likes
The link I provided is from the legal documents page:

https://www.exede.com/legal/

FWIW, those are the only documents ones that really matter and Viasat can change them at any time  - marketing is always "misleading", legal documents aren't - but yes if you're still relying on the Viasat WiFi modem for WiFi access that can be a contributing factor also. Many have already found out that their own quality router can eliminate performance problems. That's been discussed ad nauseam here also. Wouldn't be the first time customer support was stumped by something. We're just providing you with info... you''ll get no direct support from Viasat here.

(Edited)
Photo of crystal3tech .

crystal3tech .

• 20 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Marketing by Viasat is always misleading?  OK.  I am providing you with information, too.  I know perfectly well that this is a user forum.  Sometimes actual staff reply here as well.
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3890 Posts
  • 3965 Reply Likes
I didn't qualify it with Viasat for the record and it's the nature of marketing in general - you know the drill then send an email to viasatlistens. You got your reply when a moderator (employee) marked your original post as acknowledged ;)
(Edited)
Photo of Ronald Stricklin

Ronald Stricklin

• 277 Posts
  • 99 Reply Likes
The staff gives you an email to contact and they follow it up by blowing smoke up your posterior. In the case were resetting the web accelerator worked last time then calling in and trying that again may be your fastest option.