Concerns about data usage

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
Exede says i used 400mb today NO way.I have a data meter of my own and i keep track of what im doing.This is wrong there really needs to be a better and more complete way to see our usage.TY
Photo of B. Smith

B. Smith

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • Not Happy

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Elaine

Elaine

• 46 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
You are so right.. there needs to be a better way of doing this.. They said I have used a GB a day or more... NO WAY!... and I have 21 days left.. I'm paying $130.00 a month and still that is not enough.. This is ridiculous.. They say they are coming out with new dishes in the new year and that all plans will be available.. well if I have unlimited it won't matter.. I'm just wondering if they will do that.. They are price gouging me.. because they are the only one's that come out to the country... This is completely unfair.. but they have me where they want me.. because I have to have internet.. and they know it.
Photo of TheName141 .

TheName141 .

• 164 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
I used to hardly use 10 GBs a month . Then the Great Gig Giveaway came, and I never used close to 15 GBs...... Now I hardly CAN'T use 15 GBs of data on Classic 15..Yet I'm still restricting myself on online gaming, not watching youtube, etc.. The sham that is Liberty seems to not be any better either:  https://www.wildblueworld.com/forum/showthread.php?9656-Concerning-Liberty-slowdown&p=80516#post...
Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hello, 

I do apologize about the inconvenience. I understand how frustrating it can be to have unknown data being used through various wireless devices, media, updates, file sharing, or storage, all of which can certainly use plenty if necessary. Please allow us the opportunity to view your account details and check your usage categories to help better understand what’s being consumed. Please send your account and contact information to exedelistens@viasat.com  thank you. 
Photo of Josh

Josh

• 171 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Lindsey what if we do none of the above and still was told that someone was using bittorrent on our connection when no1 has access to it? I am sure yall are able to see that on yalls end.
Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hi Josh, what we provide are the consumption details within you daily traffic categories. If it happens to be bittorrent, then it was listed within the category descriptions. If you’d like, I would be more than happy to check your usage again for you. Please feel free to send your account and contact info to exedelistens@viasat.com. Thank you
(Edited)
Photo of Goff Vaughn

Goff Vaughn

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
to my knowledge and according to my tech guys,  to watch one stream of HD movie, it will only take 6.5meg. that being said, 8 hd movies for 30 days should only use up 1.56 GIG,
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2583 Posts
  • 1592 Reply Likes
Goff, that information is far from being correct. An HD movie, video or tv program uses about 2 GB per hour. Short YouTube videos may be only 6.5 MB, but that means short streams.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3405 Posts
  • 3391 Reply Likes
Agreed, your tech guy is way off - see NetFlix's estimates at:

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

Quality is the determining factor.  
Photo of Goff Vaughn

Goff Vaughn

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The tech guy is more than one it is several engineers, and all say the same, one HD users 6.5 and one SD users 2.5
Photo of Hans Baum

Hans Baum

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
They might mean megabits per second, not total megabytes used.
(Edited)
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2181 Posts
  • 398 Reply Likes
Hi Geoff,   That information is not correct. Our Help Center can clear up a lot about streaming movies and how much data will be consumed.  Here is the link: http://help.exede.net/articles/General/Tips-for-watching-video-on-Netflix-and-YouTub.  A (HD) movie is up to 3.0 GB/hour  in usage but there are options to change your settings. If you have any additional questions, please send your account and contact information to exedelistens@viasat.com.
Photo of Goff Vaughn

Goff Vaughn

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
3 gig an hour the average HD movie is close to 2 hours so that is 6 meg
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3435 Posts
  • 3424 Reply Likes
2 times 3GB = 6GB not MB
Photo of Goff Vaughn

Goff Vaughn

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ok so I fat fingered, you can believe what you want, but my Eng says 1 HD 6.5 meg and 1 SD 2.5 meg
Photo of Goff Vaughn

Goff Vaughn

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Maybe here is the difference the Eng I talked to pushes this over copper, maybe areal has to push at higher rates, I will confirm this and get back later
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3435 Posts
  • 3424 Reply Likes
I'm sure he misspoke - delivery method makes no difference. If he continues to misspeak direct him to https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87  

Watching movies or TV shows on Netflix uses about 1 GB of data per hour for each stream of standard definition video, and up to 3 GB per hour for each stream of HD video. This can create headaches for Netflix members who have a monthly bandwidth or data cap on their Internet service. Below, you'll find a few ways to reduce the amount of data Netflix uses, without having to resort to drastic measures (like actually watching less Netflix).
The same applies to other content providers.
(Edited)
Photo of Ronnie Lee Ratliff

Ronnie Lee Ratliff

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ive been having problems with my internet a long time now. You made a date and time again for the service tech to come to my house. I canceled everything for that time and came home, locked my dogs in pens. I was told between 11: and 2: so  I get a call that it will be between 2 and 4.  I kept waiting, Then at 3:30 I get a call that it will be after 4:30 ??? I could not keep waiting so he rescheduled the visit for next Tuesday morning. Now you e mail me to say that's also canceled ?? Really ? The tech told me on the phone he knows what is wrong when I told him the 1st installer mounted the dish on my other house next door due to this house having a metal roof and stringing out about 85 feet of cable. He told me that loose cable will rob your data. Exactly what Ive been saying for over a year and my appointments with service techs keep getting canceled as if its fixed. Now what? You just want to let me get bad service until my service contract is up in July ? I am posting all this on my veterans web site so thousands of Veterans see what kind of service Im getting from Exceed/ Wildblue. I am really unhappy with how I have been treated. You say--well we gave you a free month. In 15 years of using the internet for posting our tours for veterans on FB I have never had charges like Ive had with Exceed. Im not doing more , in fact Im doing much less. Your comercials talk about GREAT SERVICE but yet my service calls have been canceled 100% of the time because I live in the country and you don't cover our area well. So lets get this service call rescheduled and for once make it here. Ive paid my bill on time every time. why not give me the same service as you get on my payments?
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2913 Posts
  • 993 Reply Likes
Hi Ronnie, I responded to this very post on our facebook. Please email us at exedelistens@viasat.com and we'll work with you directly.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.