No More Email for Viasat customers

• Problem
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • In Progress
Looks like fromt he email I got today that they are doing away with our email now so no more exede/wildblue email service 
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 312 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2372 Posts
  • 461 Reply Likes
Hi Sonya, if you need assistance moving your email to Gmail, please feel free to contact us at 855.463.9333.   You can also send an email to viasatlistens@viasat.com.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
Why would anyone with an I.Q. above room temperature need help setting up a GMAIL account? Someone is just spreading the bad word and upset they will lose an e-mail address they have had for a long time. Simple as that, they do not need your help.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 809 Posts
  • 497 Reply Likes
Because some people are idiots. I know a woman who called 911 because she couldn't figure out how to set up an Amazon account. I'm being serious here.
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 116 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
And some of us are old and in the “forgetting” stage. I don’t like changing horses in midstream, I remember old stuff, not so good with new stuff. Having difficulty keeping user names and passwords straight, now add email changes and I’m pouting. Viasat keeps implementing changes that makes our lives more difficult. When I was younger, I could take this in stride. :(
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
I don't do Facebook, Instagram or any of that. If someone from my distant past I have lost touch with wants to drop a line I still have my original Hotmail e-mail from over 25 years ago. Who knows, maybe a Viasat e-mail was someone's first.

I believe "if it isn't broke don't fix it." I find this copycat world annoying, a lot of places change things just for the sake of change without really improving anything. Then all their competitors copy it. A small example is companies putting flavored, seltzer and vitamin water in bottles that are too tall and thin and flop over easily. Even though it was a stupid idea, one company did it and others copied it.
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 116 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
Next they’ll be telling us internet access Monday thru Friday only, closed on weekends.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
If can be difficult for some. I mean we have been preaching on here for years to dump the Viasat provided email address. People would be that would be too much work. Hello. Do people really expect to have Viasat for the rest of their lives? Never, ever tie an email address to an ISP. You need to have an address that is portable.
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 116 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
Vetsat writes: “ Do people really expect to have Viasat for the rest of their lives? “.

At my age, yes.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Well I certainly want you to live at least 20 more years! I am betting Viasat residential satellite internet wont be around for 10 more. AOL lasted how long?
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
AOL, while very diminutive is still alive. I remember how hard it was to pry older friends and relatives off their crappy service back in the day. Even in big cities people became married to AOL and paid them more for dial up than they could get broadband from someone else for.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
In fairness, chances are AOL still has more subs than Viasat.

Okay, how long did Compuserve or Prodigy last!
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 807 Posts
  • 496 Reply Likes
Residential satellite internet isn't going anywhere as long as there are people who live in remote areas that can't get anything else.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I agree there will always be some sort of market for it. I just don't think the market will support two companies providing it (see satellite radio).
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 307 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Vet I still have my email address from when I had dialup on ATT ..MOST providers once they provide you an email you can keep it as long as you like and dont have to even use their service. I even called tech support when I had trouble with it this year and they were glad to help even though I told them I dont have the service no more since it was when I had dial up. 
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 307 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Vet I still have my email address from when I had dialup on ATT ..MOST providers once they provide you an email you can keep it as long as you like and dont have to even use their service. I even called tech support when I had trouble with it this year and they were glad to help even though I told them I dont have the service no more since it was when I had dial up. 
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
It appears ATT gives a crap about their reputation with residential customers, VIASAT does not.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 807 Posts
  • 496 Reply Likes
The ATT email from my old dial up days still works. I don't use it anymore, but I can still access it.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
Always good to keep a junk e-mail address to use if you are signing up for something that you think could get you spammed to death.
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 116 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
I’m in the dark about this. I’m thinking that, in our case, viasat says they are going to “retire the email accounts”, (their words). I assume there is no way for us to continue using that email address. If there is, I’d like to know how to do that. I do have gmail and yahoo accounts active now. The only thing I’m sad about is all my dogs brass and stainless ID tags have the WildBlue email address them. (12 in alll), would like to be able to still use that email for notification.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Setup mail forwarding for now. As long as it is still an active email address those emails will roll to your gmail automatically. However, if/when that address is termed, senders will get an undeliverable message.
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 116 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
thanks vetsat.  I found forwarding in wildblue email prefs.  :)
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Care to share the contents of the email with the rest of the class or should we all just break out the pitch forks and torches again? Was there a timeline given?

Viasat hasn't offered email to new clients in  quite a while and has been recommending Gmail. About a year now. The handwriting has been on the wall since then (actually it's been on the wall since Google unilaterally dropped ISP support forcing Viasat to move to Zimbra).

https://help.viasat.com/articles/General/What-you-need-to-know-about-your-Exede-net-email

We've even been recommending ways to migrate since that time. In short get yourself a Gmail account and have it check your Exede/Wildblue email account or simply forward email to your Gmail account. Over time, notify your contacts of the Gmail address as email arrives - but appears time is growing short.
(Edited)
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
It should read like this:

We at VIASAT are striving hard to provide less and poorer services while duping customers into spending more money and continually signing new 2 year contracts. To keep that trend going we will no longer provide the e-mail service we used as a selling point and promised you when you signed your contract. If you think the service we provide now for what we charge is poor, you haven't seen anything yet.
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 116 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
Al is going to break the bank with this post, "likes" will reach a new high. 
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 307 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
posted email below but looks like April 19
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Not seeing it?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Yep. Exactly!

Note I am sure Viasat saves money on this move. No longer having to pay a third party to support their email addresses.

Just another indicator that Viasat residential internet is feeling the pressure to keep their profitability up.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Google dumped Viasat and other ISPs - 21 Jul 2015 - Google dumps ISP email support.   Then Viasat contracted with Zimbra/Synacor, which was "marketing" users,  AT&T, Verizon Fios, and I assume others contracted with Zimbra/Synacor, and most likely from AT&T's previous history cited below, these ISPs could have been getting a kickback.

From a company's image perspective, being associated with Zimbra/Synacor could be a blackeye if public learns about their business practice.  It would have been nice if Viasat could have offered a pay email service thru them or an email provider, at their cost. EdgeWave, headquartered in San Diego, CA, could have been a good provider.

AT&T dumps Yahoo after 15-year partnership
Published: May 4, 2016

New hosting contract means end to revenue-sharing alliance - AT&T T, +1.10% said Wednesday that it has awarded the contract to host its Web and mobile portals to Synacor Inc. SYNC, +10.49% , a company little-known outside of telecom circles. The deal effectively moves a major chunk of AT&T’s business away from Yahoo US:YHOO....Sameet Sinha, an analyst at Briley & Co., estimates the AT&T partnership generated about $100 million in annual revenue for Yahoo.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Appears the mods are deleting the posts that include the text of the email - it was posted here twice before Susan's - a bit of a stretch for the mods to consider this mass email to be "personal" communications.

Y'all just keep shooting yourself in the foot while reaffirming Viasat's lack of transparency as if there's something to hide on this and causing the conspiracy theorists to come out of the woodwork.

As far as I'm concerned, it's about time - Hallelujah! I look forward to the end of complaints about Zimbra.

They simply should have posted it as an announcement here.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Not sure what the big secret is.

But I agree, getting rid of Zimbra should have happened a long time ago.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
On the bright side, I can now look forward to all of the complaints on April 19 that start with "I can no longer  access my email". Giving folks 30 days to properly wean themselves off Zimbra seems a bit optimistic - when I transitioned off of an ISP provided email account (log ago and far way), it was closer to 6 months before I caught up with everyone that was using that email address. 
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Agreed. Maybe they are rethinking extending the timeline after customer outrage to the email. Hence, they haven't made a "formal" announcement.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@CO

Google+ sent out an email, with instructions...which are most important

"This is a reminder that on April 2, 2019 we’re shutting down consumer Google+ and will begin deleting content from consumer Google+ accounts. Photos and videos from Google+ in your Album Archive and your Google+ pages will also be deleted.

Downloading your Google+ content may take time, so get started before March 31, 2019."

Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Fortunately for me the ISP I had did actually thank me for being a loyal customer, appreciated my business and helped me stay connected with my email contacts by offering free email forwarding (no sending) for a year despite the fact I was moving -  simply left the forwarding address with them and it cost them next to nothing to do so - I mean even the Post Office allows that ;)

As I recall, they even sent me an email a month prior to the free forwarding expiring as a reminder. Viasat could learn something about customer appreciation from them.

Look, another squirrel - I don't need to download my content I already have it and if you're naive enough to allow somebody else to exclusively manage/control your content without backing it up elsewhere, you get what you deserve. Not that Google+ has anything to do with email or Zimbra.
(Edited)
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 307 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
I shared the email contents they deleted it 
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1829 Posts
  • 1142 Reply Likes
I shared the email contents they deleted it 
It's still there, though they edited out the phone number for reasons I see further below.  
(Edited)
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 312 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Thank you for being a loyal Viasat customer. We appreciate your business and are happy you have chosen Viasat Internet Service to help you stay connected.

We are letting you know that we have decided to retire our Exede and WildBlue email accounts on April 19, 2019. With so many efficient and technically advanced email platforms available to our customers, we’ve made the decision to move away from the email business.

Here's what to do now to migrate your exede.net or wildblue.net email content:

• Setup a new email account. We believe Gmail to be the easiest way to transfer your current emails, calendar, and contacts.
  • Export your current email account content (emails, contacts, and calendar) and save it to your local drive.
  • Import email account content to your new email service provider.
  • Notify your contacts that your email address is changing before April 19, 2019.
We have some quick how-to guides to help make the process easy. We have included step-by-step migration instructions for Gmail. However, we encourage you to explore all of your options to find the right email service provider that works best for your needs.

Below are two articles that will get you started:

Migrating your Exede and Wildblue email will not affect the quality of your Viasat Internet service. If you have questions or need special assistance in completing this email migration, please contact us at ********** Monday – Friday from 8am-5pm MDT. 

We look forward to helping you move to a new email platform.

Thank you!

Viasat Internet
(Edited)
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2372 Posts
  • 461 Reply Likes
 Viasat is ending its support of our email service for some customers.  If you did not receive a notice, you are not impacted at this time.  We will have updates on long-term support for email for all un-impacted customers in late April or Early May.
Photo of Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver)

Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver), Champion

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
To be comepletely honest with you Diana. It seem's really shady for a Buissness Practice for some Viasat Moderator's on this Forum for not making an Announcement of the email service's. A real Buissness actually makes an Announcement onto there Forums.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3433 Posts
  • 1284 Reply Likes
it's only affecting a certain number of people at this time so we want to avoid worrying anyone not impacted by it. We'll update as more information becomes available Deku :) 
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3433 Posts
  • 1284 Reply Likes
This is also why copies of the email were being edited. We had a flood of calls by people not impacted. 
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 116 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
Brad:  I don't see the logic here.  Looks you are side stepping the fact that email is not going to be available for ALL customers of viasat in the near future.  According to the email I got from viasat listens,  email is being "retired" and no longer supported by viasat.  That means we are all impacted.  You should get a flood of calls as this is just another slap in the face to clients of viasat.  
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
Pretty sure non management Viasat employees have become professional side steppers. Unfortunately for them they are drawing the heat for decisions they did not make. Obviously the 3rd world country call center sub contractors don't care, surely the domestic employees that have to deal with an ever growing throng of angry customers are getting tired of dealing with it. If they haven't already Viasat will start shedding domestic employees. Unless someone is a sociopath or politician they will grow tried of making excuses and lying to people 24-7.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Susan Jenulis

If all affected are from state of California, then the California's Online Privacy Protection Act may be related.  Viasat itself does not offer email service, but has contracted with Synacor/Zimbra.

"Provides that consumers may request that a business delete personal information that the business collected from the consumers. Provides that consumers have the right to opt out of a business’s sale of their personal information, and a business may not discriminate against consumers who opt out. Applies to California residents. Effective Jan. 1, 2020. Sept. 23, 2018: Amended by S.B. 1121. "

Synacor/Zimbra does the following,

Cookies and Web Beacons - Technologies such as cookies, beacons, tags, scripts and other similar technologies are used by Synacor and/or our advertising partners, affiliates, analytics and service providers
==================

And Web Beacons Track You on the Web and in Emails
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 116 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
Thanks for the info, I am going with a paid email provider when my Wildblue goes “belly up”. This way I can avoid the continuing punishment dished out by viasat,,, still trying to force us over to a more expensive plan with less data. I”m sure they’ll come up with some other “plan change” to make us squirm some more.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3433 Posts
  • 1284 Reply Likes
There's a ton of free email services. Gmail is what the provided email used to be a few years ago. They just ended their support for ISPs but you can create a free gmail account and set up forwarding.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 831 Posts
  • 500 Reply Likes
Susan, there is no reason to pay for an email account. Just do what Brad said. Open a free account with Gmail and set up forwarding. If you don't how to set up forwarding, call the number Viasat gave you and they will walk you through the process.
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 116 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
I’m planning on setting up multiple email accounts and will pick the one that I’m most comfortable in. I had a lot of problems setting up imap at Zimbra as settings were for pop only and my Mac sensed those pop settings without me inputting them. Wasn’t easy to get going. I do currently have a gmail account, did some forwarding, but some emails did not forward. I’ll have enough time, I hope, to see what works the best. I have some dislike for anything google, but I’ll give gmail another go around. I appreciate all comments here, every situation can be reviewed by individuals sharing troubleshooting resolutions.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Susan Jenulis

Filtering out spam is something to consider.   Some providers do it better than others.

I really doubt Gmail was the issue with transferring email.  Might check the spam folder.

I've had Gmail since invitation days...no complaints here, except I would prefer paying for this service so no tracking/ads/etc.

With that California's Online Privacy Protection Act effective next year, this could be a game changer for marketing industry if the pilgrims pay attention and demand the opt out option.  Them marketing folks need to get out of "peeping Tom" business.

We're paying for a service, but we are being bushwhacked.  Marketing consumers should be outlawed on internet.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3433 Posts
  • 1284 Reply Likes
I mostly suggested Google since you've been with us for a while. They were who we used like 2-3 years ago for email before it migrated to Zimbra. There's other options of course like Yahoo for example.

I personally think paying for email is one of the top 5 most unnecessary things to pay for online especially with a wealth of free options. 
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2372 Posts
  • 461 Reply Likes
The phone number listed on the letter is strictly for the customers who are impacted.  Please do not publish it.  Thank you.
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 116 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
okay, sorry, I thought it was for all of us.  I stand corrected. 
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 312 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Diana I just noticed my username for my account is my email ...it should still work alright shouldnt it to use to log into the account???
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3433 Posts
  • 1284 Reply Likes
That should still be fine Sonya. You can probably change alerts once logged in. 
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 312 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Already changed the email my auto payment receipts go to 
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 116 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
what if this only affects 150 GB plans??  Something more to look forward to????
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 116 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
I did get this from viasat listens in response to my question about closing out all email:

Yes, sadly Viasat has decided to retire the email accounts and move away from the email business.

So they are probably rolling out the change in segments, eventually affecting all of us. Trying to curb the "no email" uprising...... ahhhhhh, more pain from viasat.  
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3092 Posts
  • 1983 Reply Likes
No pain for me, I dumped Viasat's mail back when the lost the Gmail service. Gmail has been serving just fine.

I will be leaving Viasat soon anyhow, as the Verizon prepaid unlimited on my Jetpack is working out just fine. Viasat's destroying the value of the Freedom plan caused me to reach out for other ISPs.
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 116 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
I feel left behind,,,,:(    No cell in mountains.

• 3092 Posts
  • 1983 Reply Likes
Susan, that is a problem. I was in that situation until more recently, when a cell tower 6  miles from me was finally activated. The tower was erected 15 years ago, but just a skeleton until they finally fitted it with the antennas and brought it into service.

Living in rural areas is rewarding, but we do have to make a few sacrifices too.
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 116 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
Yeah, I agree rural life is only for a few that can ride out the bumps. My horse trimmer came today and said AT&T is taking plans out to put up a high speed internet cell tower at his sister's house. She  lives near me,  so I have new hope!!! This is an alternative to Viasat...... keeping my fingers crossed. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I am joining you Steve. Get the popcorn ready. This weekend is going to have some interesting reading.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
I wonder if the Viasat employees reading these posts are the least bit concerned that some of their most loyal customers have turned on them.
(Edited)

• 3092 Posts
  • 1983 Reply Likes
Al, I do think that the Viasat employees like Diana and Brad do read these posts, and are concerned, but are powerless to say anything, orders from above, If they were to speak their minds on the forum, they will be out looking for another job elsewhere.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I have heard from dealers. Viasat should be very concerned about their residential internet segment
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
I wonder how much a percent of it's profits come from residential customers? The way they are treating them makes it seems like they just want to squeeze every last dime out of them while providing poorer and poorer service. They could care less about the fallout. With all the excuses they make they are treating customers like they are as dumb as a bag of rocks.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I would say minimal compared to their commercial and military ventures.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1873 Posts
  • 1162 Reply Likes
For those that don't hate Microsoft, there's always outlook.com, too.  It's free.  
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
MSN e-mail will constantly malfunction if you are using an adblocker, if you don't it will have ads all over the place. The only reason I have one is because it was my first e-mail address. I would not recommend for a new user. MSN sucks, they go overboard with ads, using adblockers cause issues and MSN does that on purpose.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1829 Posts
  • 1142 Reply Likes
Perhaps it's your browser, or your particular ad blocker.  I have no issues with outlook.com and my use of an ad blocker.  Never have, including when it was hotmail.com.  
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 307 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
use hotmail all the time in Chrome and Safari with adblock and flashblock both with not problems