No connection

• Problem
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Solved
Modem not connecting today. Any known problems. I'm in south georgia. I have reset it many times, it came back on once but went out again and has been out now for 4 hours.
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 171 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 991 Posts
  • 492 Reply Likes
None that we are aware of.  
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 171 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
Still will not connect. I sent a email to viasat listens. Need my internet, I hate using this phone, it is slow. I get nothing in the modem stats, must be a bad modem.
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 171 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
Never did connect last night. I shut everything down around 10pm. Turned it back on this morning at 7am. It's working right now. This exact same thing happened 7 months ago. I posted here about it then. I think this is something Viasat does for some unknown reason. The email I sent to Viasat listens was answered with an email saying the case was already closed, which it was not because it's a different case. 
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 171 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
Stayed on for about 3 hours, and went off. No connection on the modem. Been a customer for 6 or 7 years now and always praised them, but now viasat listens is no help at all.
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 991 Posts
  • 492 Reply Likes
James, 

We generally respond to emails within 24 hours, in the order the emails come in.  On Mondays, that means we're looking at emails sent in on Friday evening through Sunday.  We'll get every email, but it might take a bit of time!

For immediate assistance in the future, please call Customer Care at 855-463-9333.  
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 171 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
Thanks Matt. Just my frustration. I called customer care, have a tech coming Thursday. 
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 981 Posts
  • 489 Reply Likes
Good!  I'm sure they'll get you back up and running!
Photo of Brenda Kara

Brenda Kara

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
There's a software update for your 2-in-1 combo Wifi Modem... It fixes it right up, talk with your provider you got your dish from or Internet service.
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 171 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
My installation is 7 years old, got it when wildblue changed over to Excede. The modem is the old Surfbeam 2, no wifi. I use my own router. 
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 171 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
Update: My modem reconnected yesterday and worked fine the rest of the day. The service call was already setup for today so I decided to let the tech come on out. He called this morning around 10am and said he would be here around 1pm. I told him it was back working and he could cancel if he wanted, but he said he would come on out and check it.  He was a little late, but that was fine. His name was Miguel, I forget the company name, but he was a very nice gentleman and very knowledgeable. He looked at my 7 year old installation and said the coax was out of code and it was a very old system. He replaced the old wildblue dish with a viasat one and installed the newer tria and correct cabling. Before he came out I had checked my speeds and it was good at 14.7 down around 12 noon. I never look at the up. After he finished we checked it again and got 18.1 down around 4pm. He did a good job. Very satisfied. 
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1046 Posts
  • 635 Reply Likes
Wonder if you were running just copper clad cable and not solid copper?
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 171 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
Not sure, but the ground wire on it was steel. 
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 171 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
For the stat lovers: My cable resistance before the new cable was 4.0 ohms, after 1.5 ohms. SNR before 6.0 to 6.7, after 8.6 to 9.0. I forget the other two stats before, but they are better now.    
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 991 Posts
  • 492 Reply Likes
James, that's fantastic!  I'm glad the tech took care of you!  If you'd like, I can put in a ticket to get this feedback to this technician.  They don't hear the good stuff enough!
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 171 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
Yes, please do Matt. Thanks. I wish I remembered the company name, I think he said they were out of Adel, Ga.