New to Viasat and have questions on the speed

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I am new to Viasat and I was wondering why the iphone app kept showing i was using no data when I had watched some you tube videos? Also why does it stop the video streams? I have the 25 package but that max rate i get is 16.9 to 17.2. I mostly show getting 5.9 to 12.8 so i am wondering is this normal? i kind of expected to be around the 20s most of the time.
Photo of John Hey

John Hey

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1600 Posts
  • 934 Reply Likes
So much to go off here. You expect in the 20's all the time? I just ask why you think that.

1) What is your package. "Unlimited"? Liberty? Bronze? Silver? Gold? How much priority data do you get each month?
2) Do you have a white triangle modem or something else?

Answer these two questions and we will be able to comment better.
Photo of John Hey

John Hey

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
OK. NO I do not expect to see it all the time but I thought that I should have higher speed than I am seeing now. I know they say UP TO 25....

1. I have the Unlimited Silver 25 plan with 60 Gig Data
2. I have a black modem. Only have my Iphone X and Mac Book Pro using the system.

Thanks for your help.
(Edited)
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 338 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
The built in wifi is pathetically anemic.

If you get 20+ when plugged directly into modem you can expect to typically get about half or a little less via the builtin wifi
And the wifi signal range is much shorter than many 3rd party routers

You want to set your streaming to 480 instead of default resolution which is often higher.

The bandwidth monitor updates randomly, sometimes in an hour or up to 12 hours before updating...
Photo of John Hey

John Hey

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
i got my system installed Monday about noon and used it the last two days and the meter showed no usage. I thought that was interesting. So can i hook up a different WIFI router with this system? If so are there any settings I would need to do to make it work? I noticed that I can not get the WIFI signal in my back yard. With my old Century-link I was able to get service all the way out to my barns so I see the weak signal results. Century-link is the only wired internet option that I have here and they sucked so I thought I would try satellite as it has to be better than what I had.

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1560 Posts
  • 922 Reply Likes
You gave up Century Link for satellite internet? First of all, good luck doing that.

But trying to help with what you can do, you will need a better router as the router in that modem is pathetic.

But before investing a ton of money trying to make this work, I am not sure in the long term if you will be satisfied with satellite internet in general. Once out of priority data, you probably wont even be able to stream content if you are on a loaded beam.
Photo of John Hey

John Hey

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I still have Century link for the kids. We are maxed out @ 10Mps and on normal days only get 2 to 5 Mps. I wanted something so I could stream and download my software updates without taking days to do so. We live in the country so we really do not have options.

(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1560 Posts
  • 922 Reply Likes
If you have Century Link you have more options than a lot of us.

If you think you can stream well on Viasat, especially after using priority data, you are probably going to have issues. With the plan you have, you will have restricted streaming speeds and will most likely experience buffering. Your restricted streaming speeds will be half of what Century Link was giving you, if you are lucky. After priority data is used, you might not be able to stream at all.

If you are downloading a lot, satellite is fine for that. But again, it really isnt "unlimited" data. After 60GB of data is used, all bets are off if you will be satisfied with what Viasat can deliver.
Photo of John Hey

John Hey

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Being new I thought that if I had data left then the speed would be pretty fast but so far it looks to match what I am getting with CL.I will hook up another WIFI router and see what happens this weekend. Right now I am not too impressed. Just saying. :)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1560 Posts
  • 922 Reply Likes
I hear you.

The reality of the situation for vast majority people is satellite internet cant compete with unlimited wired internet, no matter how bad you think the internet you had was. You wont be the first to find that out, you wont be the last.

No matter the marketing hype, satellite internet should be thought of as the internet of last resort.
(Edited)
Photo of Bill Sepmeier

Bill Sepmeier

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Viasat limits streaming to about T1 (1.5mbps) for a 480p resolution. At that rate you get SD quality but only burn about 1gB per hour. I have the same plan and routinely see DL speeds of 60mbps ...
(Edited)
Photo of John Hey

John Hey

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
What app are you using for this report?
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1560 Posts
  • 922 Reply Likes
I would recommend you use the testmy.net website. it provides the most accurate account of speed for satellite internet.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Second the recommendation for testmy.net. Unlike a lot of sites that just show peak speed it shows the highs and lows during the test. Many times the speeds of satellite internet vary wildly in a short period of time.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
I use OOKLA most often. It is fast and gives accurate results including accurate latency. I just ran testmy followed immediately by OOKLA. testmy took several times longer to run and consumed a lot more data. It gives more statistics, but did not give latency. Must be an option I haven’t found yet. The results were very comparable. Given that OOKLA is much faster to run and provides latency, I will stick with it. The average throughput is what really matters for most users anyway as that is what you will notice most, other than latency, when actually using the internet.
Photo of John Hey

John Hey

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks. This is the one I have been using to get my results.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2222 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
I just ran testmy followed immediately by OOKLA. testmy took several times longer to run and consumed a lot more data.
Run a manual test with a set size.  Testmy also shows your latency on the upper right of the screen, though you have to be signed in to an account to see it.  

I prefer testmy as the result it gives is an average of what's seen through the entire test, not just the speed seen at the very end of the test.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2222 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
I just ran testmy followed immediately by OOKLA. testmy took several times longer to run and consumed a lot more data.
Run a manual test with a set size.  Testmy also shows your latency on the upper right of the screen, though you have to be signed in to an account to see it.  

I prefer testmy as the result it gives is an average of what's seen through the entire test, not just the speed seen at the very end of the test.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2222 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
Oh, it figures.   Can't go more than a couple of days without double posts. 
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
When I had Viasat I had "Up to 12 Mbps" and my speeds were usually around 1 Mbps and that is when it wasn't dropping out up to a dozen times a day. What you get depends on your plan and location. I would have been happy as a clam if the lowest I got was 5 Mbps.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 338 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
John, your quality of service depends a great deal on where you are.
Some beams are over sold and others have plenty of capacity.

What day does your payment method get hit/data refresh?
That might explain why it appears your data usage isn't showing up.

In the router setting of your modem there is an option way at the bottom to put your modem into Bridge mode which will allow for a more robust third party router.
Photo of John Hey

John Hey

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Bob. I have been fighting to try to get my router to work. i will try that and then maybe i will have a better time.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1585 Posts
  • 931 Reply Likes
Good luck. But in the end, I don't think it will make that big of difference if you are on a congested beam. What part of the country are you in?
Photo of John Hey

John Hey

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I got the router to work now. My speed as of last night was running in the upper teens - 17 to 19'ish. I live out in the country near Sidney, Ohio.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1585 Posts
  • 931 Reply Likes
Ohio has pretty congested beams, but the one in western Ohio is not as bad as the one in eastern Ohio or central VA.
Photo of bubs

bubs

• 84 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
With those speeds, it looks like a possibility that it's a good beam.  I think a few would be curious how your speeds hold up during primetime and after your threshold.

Since you are new to satellite internet, I'm curious.  It's likely you were signed up with the promotional pricing, do you know if you were, and if you were, did you know it will expire?  I just ask, because some that ...stop by... the forum don't know that they are getting promotional pricing until after the rate increase.

From above, "We live in the country so we really do not have options."  Did you check if you could have gotten a second DSL line installed?  If so, you could have used a product like Speedify to combine the two.  Or, at least a load balancing router to manage traffic.  Did you check for a WISP?  How's your cell service?  Any providers?  Is your area congested, how's the speed?  The major providers, at least most of them, have unlimited plans available.  Some with a few restrictions, or higher prices, or you have to hunt for someone willing to let go of an expired grandfathered plan, but they are there.  I'm not talking about the plans that drastically reduce your speed after you use X amount.  You have more options than many, I know a lot of people that can't get DSL, or cell service.  You may not have any of these options, but if you did, those kinds of things would have been wise to at the very least look into before signing up with a 24 month contract.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1585 Posts
  • 931 Reply Likes
Chances are those speeds are going to drop dramatically during primetime.

Regardless of those speeds, streaming will be throttled to 1 to 1.5Mbps and buffering can and will happen. Then, once priority data is exhausted, see what the speeds will be.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 338 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
This makes me think of...
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1585 Posts
  • 931 Reply Likes
Well forgive me on explaining how satellite internet works for a new user that might not understand :).

I am curious of how his experience goes, especially when considering he was not happy with Century Link and opted for satellite internet. 
Photo of bubs

bubs

• 84 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
Exactly.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 470 Posts
  • 142 Reply Likes
What you have sounds normal or even better than normal while you are within your data allocation. Once that allocation is consumed, expect speeds in the 0.1 to 2 Mbps range for the rest of the month. A little better during the daytime, but at the low end of this range in the evening. Streaming video is not an option on Viasat for most of the evening from bout 5 PM to midnight.
Photo of John Hey

John Hey

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Friday night is family movie nght so we will see how this goes. Ill keep track on my stats and update this weekend.

Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 537 Reply Likes
You're better off staying with Century Link. Viasat will be a big disappointment for you. My work has DSL that maxes out between 7-10Mbps and it outperforms Viasat in every way.
Photo of John Hey

John Hey

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I wished we had that high of speed on Century Link. We get mostly 2 with 5 on a very good day.
When we first had CL we had 20 Mbps until they changes our area and capped us at the new 10 Mbps level. The our service went from good to horrid..
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
You will wish for 2 once your data allocation runs out. I rarely see 1 during prime time once on Liberty pass and less than 0.5 is quite common.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 303 Posts
  • 272 Reply Likes
You're on a newer unlimited plan, John - it's a network management different policy than that for the Liberty Plan subscribers, legacy Unlimited plans and Freedom Plans. Unlike Liberty Plans and others, you should actually only be subjected to depriortization during congested periods on going over your usage threshold. But yes. there are some circumstances wher 2 Mbps on CenturyLink may be better than even higher speeds on Viasat.

Regardless, let us know how it works out - experiences vary wildly among spot beams as mentioned by Bob Lexus above. And remember to test speeds during non-peak hours also and appears you've already tackled one issue with your own router. That black Viasat modem/router has a spotty track record at best.

If you have the black modem that would imply you're on Viasat-1. Just curious, what is your Zip Code?

Never mind, I see your mention of Sidney OH above - that's close enough.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1560 Posts
  • 922 Reply Likes
He is on Viasat-1, older wifi modem, western Ohio beam.

While that is not one of the most congested beams, curious how it performs once the priority data is out.
Photo of John Hey

John Hey

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
ok so my 1stt weekend seam to be good:

Started at 17.6Mbps down 5.25 upload at 7:16PM when I started my Friday night movie nightwhen i was done i was getting 20.7 download 5.06 up.at 10:48PM.

I have been getting around 20.0 down so I am happy.

the only question is how do i tell how much data have i used. my phone app shows i used 0.0 ROFLMAO.

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1585 Posts
  • 931 Reply Likes
Yea. I dont think that app has been working for awhile.

Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
You will know when you are out of data as your speed will drop to 1/10 of what it is before your data allocation is exhausted. LOL.
Photo of John Hey

John Hey

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Still shows that all weekend I have used 0.0G LOL :)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1585 Posts
  • 931 Reply Likes
I dont rhink sonething is setup right with your account. I would call customer service.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 470 Posts
  • 142 Reply Likes
Here is what Liberty looks like during prime time once your priority data is gone.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 470 Posts
  • 142 Reply Likes
And when you think it can’t get any worse...
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1589 Posts
  • 931 Reply Likes
Well you dont have an "unlimited" plan so I will give Viasat a pass here. Yea. They sort of marketed Liberty plans that way but at least it was marketed more truthfully than the fake "unlimited" plans they sell today.

Luckily you will be getting fiber and go throw satellite internet into the trash!
(Edited)
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 470 Posts
  • 142 Reply Likes
I have never accused Viasat of breach of contract as their contract pretty much allows them to provide no service at all and still satisfy the contract. LOL.

I do think their advertising is highly misleading, although, again I won’t say it is fraudulent as it includes enough weasel words to avoid that, at least in the legal sense. However, they stated a number of times to expect speeds in the 1-5 Mbps range when on the “liberty pass.” If I was getting 1 Mbps with any regularity, I would not post a single speed test here or on social media. However, I rarely get 1 during the evenings on liberty pass and less than 0.2 is quite common like all of last evening. I didn’t see a single speed test above 0.25 for at least a three hour period. So, I believe I have a moral obligation to let others who are considering Viasat Liberty plan service to understand fully what they may experience.

The only reason I decided to give satellite a try and switch from DSL is that my DSL was often in the 1 - 1.5 range and I figured if liberty pass gave me even 1 (the low end of their advertised range), then I would be no worse than DSL and had the potential of being better while under the data allocation. This was true for the first couple of months of service, but has continually deteriorated since then.

I now know the reason why. What Viasat did not advertise is that unlike DSL, which gives you the same speed all month no matter whether you use 1 MB of data or 1 TB (probably could not possibly use a terabyte at DSL speeds. LOL), Viasat heavily throttles you based on the amount of data you use. DSL providers don’t categorize you as a “heavy user” as Viasat does and then throttle you down to 0.1 Mbps for a good part of the month. That is the really misleading part of Viasat’s contract and advertising as I never read or heard “heavy user” until I interacted with their support people and was told that. That is the really disingenuous part about Viasat.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1589 Posts
  • 931 Reply Likes
I totally agree they are misleading people. I was just saying misleading on the Liberty plans is one thing. Calling plans "unlimited" takes it to another level, making things even worse.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 470 Posts
  • 142 Reply Likes
I agree. I just convinced another friend yesterday to not try Viasat as he was considering that seriously based on what was advertised. As long as my speeds remain below the advertised 1 Mbps, I will continue to do my best to steer people elsewhere.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
The newest Viasat commercial on broadcast TV in the notoriously bad for service area of Central Virginia shows multiple people in a house streaming video at the same time. Viasat is starting to make claims that are as ridiculous as those selling hair growth tonic and pills that make a man's junk bigger, how pathetic.