new speed configuration

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • Acknowledged
From a recent email I received from Via Sat ,it seems that they are going with an average speed . I subscribe to  the 25 mps. From what I can understand  with the changes  they are talking about sometimes it will be faster ,sometimes slower. Does anyone have a better understanding of this?
Photo of david lightsey

david lightsey

• 42 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver)

Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver), Champion

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
its a network policy change or something... i too had made a post about this... but ummm... i somehow accidentally deleted the post by accident when i was trying to edit the darm thing :l cause my cellphone was really lagging and the screen would stop and it would be like that then itll come back again... then i figured itd be too late to try and edit the post... (my cellphone been doing that recently... it did with a big long google doc on my cellphone... rip that big long typing of hours and hours ;-; feels bad man ;-; )
(Edited)
Photo of Viacrap

Viacrap

• 38 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Nice name
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 642 Posts
  • 241 Reply Likes
I received that email too.  I just figured it was some new way they were stating their speed. A kind of CYA kind of thing.  However, a couple weeks after receiving that email, my download speed has "gone to sh_t" so I'm thinking it was a prelude to them making some changes somewhere!  And they have since reopened my area for new subscriptions!  
Photo of Carrie Moor

Carrie Moor

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
That email is just double talk. They legally cannot change a contract.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2103 Posts
  • 1272 Reply Likes
They are not changing the contract.   They are changing the service the contract is for, which they have every right to do, especially since the provision for changing the service is laid out in that contract and is agreed to by the subscriber the second they utilize the service.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Viasat basically has the right to do whatever they want. The contract is very skewed in their favor. It is what it is.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Is this where they say the "median speed"? That isn't the average.

More semantics, just like "unlimited" isn't really unlimited.

Michael McDowell

• 642 Posts
  • 241 Reply Likes
Unfortunately, I didn't keep the email!  Can anyone here post a copy?

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
@Micheal

I wish I too did keep an important email also... I thought it was nothing... soooo after i accidentally deleted my post... I just ended up deleting the email... but for some reason... I still have the screenshots somewhere in my google drive... if i really wanted too... it would take me an entire day or two... (just to find those screenshots... and I really dont wanna go through all the hassle of looking through each folders that ive organized so good... (i has alotta folders organized so i know which is which...)

but... i dont feel like going through each google drive just to find those darn screenshots... I also have to keep reading some interesting mangas by the way :3 imma going to binge read them :3 sooo... yeah... if i I had the time to look through all that cludder and all the separated folders and stuff... I would... but like I said before I usually keep a copy of the email and forward it to another separate email address... (I REALLY WISHED I SHOULD OF FORWARD THE DARN EMAIL TO MY 2ND EMAIL!!!)

Michael McDowell

• 642 Posts
  • 241 Reply Likes
@Deku

No problem!  I have heard others on here alluding to that email, maybe one of them will see this and post a copy.  I didn't think much about it at the time.  Now, I think it must be a cover for some changes that have been made that have drastically affected my download speeds! 

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
@michael

hmmm... give me less than half an hour to do that digging in my google drive on my cellphone aok??? :3 i may have to switch to my ipad for this... if it is more than 10 minutes on my end... I will go to my ipad... and see if I screenshot it on my ipad... give me 10 minutes on my cellphone from when I send this :3

P.S.!!! Imma fast on my cellphone with tapping and searching and stuff :3 but... when I am typing... it takes forever o.o

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
here it is :3 i checked to see if the email was in the trash... I was lucky enough to have moved it to my label :3 ive also managed to screenshot it 2 of them... then I stitched up the 2 screenshots into one on my cellphone with an application :3

(Edited)

Michael McDowell

• 642 Posts
  • 241 Reply Likes
@Deku,

Thank you! --  So, for my 30Mbps Gold plan I should be getting speeds above 30Mbps for half of the day?  Am I reading that right?  I haven't seen speeds above 30 Mbps since early Dec last year!  I haven't seen speeds above 10Mbps since early Jan of this year.  2 to 3 Mbps is the best I have seen for many days! Don't know if there is any link between receiving that email and my drop in speeds but, to me, it is MORE than a coincidence!

Thanks again for taking the time to dig that up!
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
It's no coincidence unfortunately.

The more important part is  covered in the updated Unlimited Data Policy updated  and probably what you're now seeing.

https://www.exede.com/documents/master/unlimited-data-policy.pdf

Specifically read it and weep:

Further, during network congestion, customers on the Bronze 12, Silver 25, and Gold 30 service plans, who purchased their service plans prior to February 13, 2018, may be prioritized behind other customers who have not exceeded their data allowance or usage threshold regardless of the amount of data actually used, resulting in slower speeds.

As I read it your subject to prioritization at any time if you're on an Unlimited Plan on Viasat-1. I can hear Don Meridith from my house... Turn out the lights, the party's over.
(Edited)

Michael McDowell

• 642 Posts
  • 241 Reply Likes
WOW!!!!!  just................ WOW!!!
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
exactly... I am on the silver 25/150 plan that i bought in Jan 2018... and my speeds are horrible... even when i am nowhere near my data cap? sadness... I wonder if there is a any recourse at all?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
That is ridiculous!

Changing the terms and conditions of a plan where the consumer doesnt really have any recourse????

Sounds like a good reason to dump Viasat and move to Hughenet.

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
@michael

PSSST!!! I GOTS A SECRET WEBSITE YOU CAN CHECK TO SEE HOW MUCH A WEBSITE DOMAIN IS :3 ive found it like 1 year ago :3 cause i was wondering about an anime website how much it was worth and all of that good stuff :3

BUT!!! Here is the website :3

http://www.statshow.com

i need to check out a few other websites domains :3

the one i use is the website report :3 that is the main one i go to :3 HAVE FUN MICHAEL AND EVERYONE ELSE WHOEVER WANTS TO CHECK OUT HOW MUCH A WEBSITE IS WORTH!!! :3 (or even a business... I dont see no point in that though...)
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Looking at Hughesnet plans it is $160 a month (plus tax) for 50 gigs a month... Not exactly a bargain.. and that is the largest data plan that they offer for my area... I signed a contract with Viasat for 150 gigs a month at speeds up to 25mbps down... and only being priortized behind other customers when i exceeded my 150 gigs a month data cap and then only being priortized when I was in a busy time of the day and that plan costs me $110 a month...  looking at other plans that are now available from Viasat in my area... they only offer 3 plans currently... 10, 25 & 50 gigs a month.. and speeds are at a max of 12mbps... with a "free zone period" of 3am to 6am... Hmmmmm... what do we do?
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
That is Viasat-1 and based on those plans, you are on a congested beam. If only 12Mbps Liberty plans are offered, that is a big clue how full the beam you are on is.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Hmmm? Doesn’t look like I have the option of going with the other satellite? Or another beam?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Nope
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
sadness.... just when i thought i had found a good internet provider... i am still blown away by the fact that they can change the rules mid stream.... i was grandfathered in on a plan that gave me up to 25 mbps download speeds and a 150 gigs a month before my download speeds were prioratized behind other people... now they have changed the rules and are prioritizing me before i hit any cap at all? WTF? what can i do?

Michael McDowell

• 642 Posts
  • 241 Reply Likes
Obviously, they are trying to force us with those plans into changing plans!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
They have been doing that for awhile now. People would have never given up their Freedom plans without the promise of 150GB of priority and the lure of "unlimited".

This all came about as Viasat tried to generate more revenue out of a stagnant customer base. Tweak the plans, charge more.

It only lasts so long. You can only get blood out of a turnip for so long.

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
@veteransatuser

hmmm... you are right... BUT!!! I think ive found a way to get my speeds back... all I need is a good used laptop and a couple more items :3 also an additional monthly subscription to something else :3 then... I will do some testing stuff on my end... and I will let ya guys know :3 JUST WAIT FOR MY IDEA OR PRAISE IN LIKE... 4 TO 6 MONTHS!!! AOK??? :3 its going to be taking some testing and configuration on my end and stuff... BUT!!! I really do have an idea of a way around this :3
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
A device that supports unlimited mobile data
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
https://www.exede.com/documents/master/unlimited-data-policy.pdf

and here is my speed on sunday night... 9:30pm... WAY under my data cap...
(Edited)
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
here are the documents that i found that explain how they changed the grandfathered in unilimmited plans after the fact... incredibly unethical in my opinion... I signed a contract for the silver unlimited plan... up to 25mbps down and 150 gigs a month... my speeds would only get priortixed AFTER i had reached my 150 gigs a month data cap... Not before!

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
So basically you are getting the new levels of priority data, and throw the 150GB out the window.

Deprioritation just kicks in quicker now.

I agree. Pretty shady.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
exactly... you might as well be on a 10 gig a month plan? because your speeds are getting knocked back from the get go...
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2096 Posts
  • 1267 Reply Likes
Definitely shady.  I mean, it still may be "unlimited", but it's nearly a guarantee that every evening it's going to be slow. 

Is it a VS1 and VS2 thing, where those who got those plans before that date are on the VS1, and after the VS2?  If so, that might explain why there is the anytime prioritization caveat only for those before that date.   
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
That's not it. The date is when the revised plans rolled out for both Viasat-1 and 2.

Basically Viasat gave way too much priority data from the start. So then they had to pull that back shortly thereafter. But then again, the 150GB priority got people sucked in to give up their Freedom plan for the lure of "unlimited" data (and then also got those people on the video resolution downgrader).

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
And 150GB for all Unlimiterd Plans was only available on Viasat-1 prior to 2/13

150 GB after that date was only for Platinum on Viasat-2. Note the attempted up-sell to "Viasat-2" plans in that email copy  Deku posted.   
(Edited)
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Also panahead we pay an extra fee for the extra speed so if they are taking that speed away dont they have to not charge us for the extra speed fee how can they charge us for something they are taking away that would be like be going to to get a burger and fries and them charging and then when I get it they say oh other customers ahead of you needed the fries so you dont get any NOW wouldn't you want the money back for the fries 
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2096 Posts
  • 1267 Reply Likes
The problem with that is that you're paying for a plan that has an "up to" speed, not a guaranteed speed.  No speeds are guaranteed, and if they are now implementing a "may prioritize" thing around the clock, it still doesn't change that you're getting is an "up to" speed.  
(Edited)
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Old Labs and love also they wont put the plans on the web site you have to call so if they screw you over and say they are giving you something and not its your word against theirs and KNOW I cant trust them now. I searched and for my area they only have the old 10gb 50gb plans I cant do that. I would rather pay for 2 plans on Hughes then one of these new plans after this crap 
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
But we pay for faster speeds and priority over the other packages so if they are going to set us down with everyone else speed then stop charging us a charge for faster then normal speeds. Our speeds were faster because we got priority and they are taking that. Say when things got congested before this the up to speeds where say 5Mpbs for the slower cheaper packages when they got slowed in congestion but with us on the higher plans we would run faster then the slower speed packages because that is how they gave us our extra speed we didnt get throttled the ones that paid less did. 
(Edited)
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 317 Posts
  • 103 Reply Likes
Yup so much for freedom (new)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I haven't received this email. Is this only for those on the "unlimited" plans or will it affect all customers?

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
@fmj77

This particular change as discussed here only affects Unlimited Plans purchased prior to February 13, 2018 (i.e. the 150 GB plans on Viasat-1).

However, Viasat's Bandwidth Usage Policy for Freedom Plan Subscribers also changed on January 15, 2019 see:

https://www.exede.com/documents/master/bandwidth-usage-policy.pdf

In addition, during periods of network congestion, you may be prioritized behind other customers who have not exceeded their data allowance or usage threshold regardless of the amount of data you have actually used.  Please see Viasat’s Network Management Policy here for full details.   
The Network Management Policy also changed on 1/15/2019, is more general in nature and affects all plans. While I believe the new rallying cry may become... never give up your Liberty. Heavier users of Liberty Pass aren't going unscathed according to:

https://www.exede.com/documents/master/network-management-policy.pdf

Links to all legal docs for Exede/Viasat residential are at: https://www.exede.com/legal/

Links to Wildblue residental are at: https://www.viasat.com/legal

Don't shoot me, I'm the messenger - don't shoot me, I'm the messenger - torches and pitch forks are now on sale in the lobby. I'm gonna go grab some popcorn. Many have been demanding Viasat do something about congestion, they just did by changing their Congestion Management Practices - careful what you wish for.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Still shady.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Like I said, don't shoot me - I'm the messenger. I report, you decide! Read the customer agreement since we're often quick to point out the terms. One of the terms is they get to change things as they see fit - despite assurances by some that Oh no - they wouldn't do that. 
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Not shooting the messenger.

But they promised people something, charged them more money, and now are not delivering what they promised.

Hmmmmmm.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Promises mean nothing unless written down - temper your Viasat expectations like I did long ago - it helps the blood pressure, trust me - I've got the scar to prove it ;)
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Wasn't it written in a contract? Now the terms and conditions of that agreed upon contract has changed?

There is a limit to how far companies can go doing things like this, even if not being able to file a class action suit is written into the contract.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
As some are fond of asking - did you not read the contract? You don't get to ignore the parts you don't like.

4.1  Modification of this Agreement.  Upon notice published on the Viasat website applicable to your Service: www.exede.com or www.viasat.com/wildblue,

we may modify this Agreement, including, without limitation, our pricing and billing terms. We may, but are not required to, also notify you by e-mail or other electronic notice.  If you do not agree to such changes or additions, then you must terminate this Agreement in accordance with Section 4.3 below and stop using the Service within five days after the effective date of such modifications.  Your continued use of the Service after this five-day period constitutes your acceptance of such modifications. If a change results in an increase of the monthly fee by more than 25%, however, you may terminate your Service, without incurring the Termination Fee, if applicable, and/or any other applicable termination fee, by calling us within 30 days after the first statement reflecting such changes is issued.

They would never do that, right???? All I can say is bookmark legal and check it frequently. Notice was published on 1/15/2019 and there was no fee increase.

Is it questionable? Sure without a doubt. Do I like it? Nope. But there are a couple guys around here trying to bring Viasat to it's knees. Champions should protest by tossing their loving cups out the window ;) Need instructions?

For me stressing over any of it isn't worth another chest scar that won't heal, that's all.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Regardless of what is written, you will find court cases to the contrary.

For example, let's say Viasat raised prices 1000%. By the wording above, do they have the right? Yes. Would a court or arbitrator allow such an abuse of consumer rights, no.

I am not saying these changes meet that threshold, but I am saying there are limits to what the legal system will allow when it comes to consumer protection.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
And I'm not saying there aren't legal means to address it - the law offices of Dewey, Cheatham and Howe await anyone who wants to take action. Lacking the funds to do that or a sympathetic ambulance chaser, we can only judge them in the court of public opinion and vote with our feet or this alternative:

I suppose one person on their own could go small claims for minimal cost and let a judge decide if there's any merit. GoFundMe awaits those looking to use heavier weapons and need cash now...
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Well.... there is that guy in Northern FLA. Where has he been?
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
You are very right VeteranSatUser just like us paying the extra fee to move up to the faster speed that extra charge was JUST for extra speed they cant just say OH you pay for it and dont get it that would open a whole can for worms with tons of legal issues ....might have to do some checking into this since they either have to reduce your bill that amount or give you an increase over the lower tier package of some sort or its like charging you for something your not getting 
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Don't think this will affect me since I keep my usage below 150GB each month. Have never tested to see what kind of performance I'd get if I went over.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
I think you’re reading the policy wrong. If you have an older unlimited but limited plan, it can impact you before you use the first GB.

Michael McDowell

• 638 Posts
  • 240 Reply Likes
I'm on the 30 Mbps Gold 150 Unlimited plan.  My data reset on the 12 of the month. I'm sitting at about 19.6 GB usage.  My speed just tested at 12.66 Mbps down and 5.0 Mbps up.  That is actually the best numbers I've seen since the first of the year.  However, last month at this time, my download speed was hitting over 45 Mbps.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Basically it means, even with data remaining on my 25 Mbps plan, sometimes I'm going to see 45 Mbps and sometimes 5 Mbps but, if I were to average out the speeds for a month, I'd end up at or very close to 25 Mbps overall.

So, at say 6:30 AM, when almost no one is online, I'm going to see that 45 Mbps, by noon about 20 Mbps and, prime time I might get 5-12 Mbps depending on the day and how congested my beam is at the moment.

Michael McDowell

• 638 Posts
  • 240 Reply Likes
Hasn't been my experience!!!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Yea, right. 45Mps.

And we are taking "median" here, not average.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
Most people aren’t knowledgeable enough about measures of central tendency to ascertain the differences. Liars, darn liars, and statisticians.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
You can make stats say anything you want.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
90% of the time, I would agree.

Michael McDowell

• 638 Posts
  • 240 Reply Likes
OTG!  Not always but fairly regularly.  But certainly not recently!
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
I also have the silver 25/150 unlimited plan and my speeds are being affected when I am WELL under my data cap of 150 a month. My download speeds when it is congested are between 0.5 and 1.2mbps... I would be happy as a clam with 5 to 12mbps during congested times...

Michael McDowell

• 638 Posts
  • 240 Reply Likes
Yeah, mine is now running around 1Mbps in the evening.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
I think y’all mean like this.

Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
When you’ve used this.

Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
Must be congestion. Drove to the house just to see.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
or this...

Michael McDowell

• 638 Posts
  • 240 Reply Likes
Yep, any way you slice it......IT SUCKS!!!
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
From reading the proposed change to Freedom Plan subscribers, it doesn't seem like anything is different. Basically, if you don't go over 150GB then you aren't de-prioritized and if you do go over you are. Wasn't this always the policy?

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
From the Freedom Bandwidth Usage policy (Click to enlarge -relevant sentence high-lighted):

Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
I’m not sure? But from what I gather re my plan the silver 25/150 I was promised to not be de-prioritized until I hit my data cap of 150 a month.. but they changed the plan and anyone that bought the plan prior to February 13,2018 are now getting de-prioritized ANYTIME there is congestion.. regardless of how much data they have used.. it’s a total “switch and bait” move.. sell you one plan and when it doesn’t work out for them they pull the rug out from under your feet... my speeds at night are unusable.. and I’m not even talking about trying to stream video at 480... I’m just trying to load webpages...

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
@fmj,

Going back to the future using wayback, those last two sentences were added to the Freedom Bandwidth Usage Policy.   
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Old Labs, sounds like what we've all been going through during times of heavy use. Basically, for those of us on congested beams it slows to a crawl.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Maybe they've just formalized it - I dunno, but I can say with some certainty that was the addition. Appearances are probably dependent on how overloaded a beam is - location, location, location. I can only say that things have definitely improved on my beam as a Liberty subscriber (but what's curious is, I don;t ever recall Freedom or Unlimited Plans being offered on my beam - maybe they were I just wasn;t interested in either).
(Edited)
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
You mean this email ? 

From time to time, Viasat makes updates to policies that impact our customers' service. We recently updated our Network Management Policy and the terms of service for your Unlimited Silver 25 Mbps service plan and we want to explain what these mean to you.  

Network Management Policy

Unlimited Data Policy

What do the updated policies mean for you?

• Your current service plan (Unlimited Silver 25 Mbps) offers download speeds up to 25 Mbps. This update clarifies that this is the median speed you should expect, when measured across all 24 hours in a day for these service plans. This means you should expect that half the time you see speeds that are faster than 25 Mbps, and half the time speeds that are slower than 25 Mbps.
  • The monthly price on your current service plan will not change.
  • On your Unlimited Silver 25 Mbps, speeds during busy periods (typically in evening hours of each day) may be well below 25 Mbps, regardless of how much data you use. After 150 GB of data usage, we may prioritize your data behind other customers during network congestion.

What are your options?

• Do nothing: You can continue receiving the service as described above and you don’t need to do anything.
  • Upgrade or change your service plan: Our new ViaSat-2 service plans offer unlimited data, best-in-class Wi-Fi, and download speeds that range from up to 12 Mbps to up to 100 Mbps, depending where you live.  Call us on our upgrade line at 855-627-2456 between 6am–9pm MST Monday - Friday or7am-8pm MST Saturday - Sunday to find out what offer is available for you. If you choose to upgrade, it will require the installation of new equipment and a two-year minimum service term.

Sincerely, 

Viasat Internet 

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
@Gwen

YES THAT EMAIL!!! what I recommend peoples doing is... just blow up the viasat emails at there email address and just keep sending the same message over and over and over again... Just type it all and then copy the entite message then press send... then repeat the process over like how ever many times you want too... if people can do that... then I wonder... how long it'll take for viasat to listen to us... and us making a demanding change into this... WHO IS WITH ME ON THIS EMAILING SPAM TO VIASAT WHATEVER LISTENS!?!?!?!?
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Sorry Viasat. I'm not giving up my Freedom.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Can I interest you in our new Infinity and Beyond plan? Not a good idea to spam that email address Deku. All you'd do is hinder people really needing help from getting to it.
(Edited)
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
It wont matter if you go over now they are going to slow you down to give priority to newer customers is what I get out of it. They are trying to run us off this plan on to the new one to get us all in new contracts. But before I sign another one after this stunt we will throttle our phones I have 60gb and hubby has 60gb so 120gb for $110 a month and going to go check out the OTHER sat company my neighbor has them this crap just leaves a bad taste for this company I dont feel secure as a customer that can trust a company that would screw us over and make me pay for something they aren't going to give. 
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
panahead you are right those of us on the Freedom 150 GB - Boost 25 + WiFi plan were not suppose to be prioritized that is why we paid for the highest price package. That is why we pay extra for the Boost 25 remember their selling point on it was with it you have priority over speed over the slower packages 
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I got THAT Email with an additional last paragraph in the last section ---

What are your options?

• Do nothing: You can continue receiving the service as described above and you don’t need to do anything.
  • Change your service plan: If you would like to switch to a new monthly service plan, you may do so at any time. We don’t charge any fees to switch your service plan and we will not require a new two-year minimum service term to change plans. Simply login to your account at https://account.viasat.com and select the plan you wish to switch to. When you switch, your new plan may have different terms of service than the plan you are currently on. Please read the plan details closely before you make your choice. 
  • We would hate to see you go, but if you would like to disconnect your service with Viasat, we will waive any Early Termination Fees remaining under your Minimum Service Term. Please remember to return your equipment to avoid additional fees. Please call us at 844-715-4412 between 6am–9pm MST Monday - Friday or 7am-8pm MST Saturday - Sunday and we will ship you a box (with prepaid return shipping) to collect your equipment. 

Interesting that they would offer to let me out of my contract with no Early Termination fees. 

On the surface, this looks to be a huge boost to my plan as it is no longer UP TO 25 Mbps but now a MEDIAN 25 Mbps.   Median says 12 hrs of each day, speeds will be > 25 Mbps and 12 hrs will be <25 Mbps.  But any guarantees?  What recourse do I have if that is not met?     
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I got THAT Email with an additional last paragraph in the last section ---

What are your options?

• Change your service plan: If you would like to switch to a new monthly service plan, you may do so at any time. We don’t charge any fees to switch your service plan and we will not require a new two-year minimum service term to change plans. Simply login to your account at https://account.viasat.com and select the plan you wish to switch to. When you switch, your new plan may have different terms of service than the plan you are currently on. Please read the plan details closely before you make your choice. 
  • We would hate to see you go, but if you would like to disconnect your service with Viasat, we will waive any Early Termination Fees remaining under your Minimum Service Term. Please remember to return your equipment to avoid additional fees. Please call us at 844-715-4412 between 6am–9pm MST Monday - Friday or 7am-8pm MST Saturday - Sunday and we will ship you a box (with prepaid return shipping) to collect your equipment. 

Interesting that they would offer to let me out of my contract with no Early Termination fees. 

On the surface, this looks to be a huge boost to my plan as it is no longer UP TO 25 Mbps but now a MEDIAN 25 Mbps.   Median says 12 hrs of each day, speeds will be > 25 Mbps and 12 hrs will be <25 Mbps.  But any guarantees?  What recourse do I have if that is not met?     

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
I'm not moving off my plan at all!!! If viasat has the same plan/gbs with the same price onto viasat 2 then I would. but if viasat cant provide that... then I WON'T AND WILL NOT SWITCH!!! IMMA STANDING MY GROUNDS VIASAT!!! PROVIDE US THE SAME PLAN/GBS AND PRICE ONTO VIASAT 2!!!

OR ELSE I WILL NOT BE ON HERE THAT MUCH!!! Cause I am legit tempted to call hughesnet and ask if they provide Internet in my address later today... I really dont know if i would though... BUT!!! IF it does get to that point... and once I have legit lost all faith in viasat company... that is when ill do some calling to companies... THAT IS ONLY ONCE MY FAITH IN VIASAT IS COMPLETELY GONE IS WHEN I WILL DO THAT!!!

My faith in viasat won't be lasting too long... but I do hope it will be clinging on for as long as it can...
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Grab a verizon jetpack https://www.verizonwireless.com/internet-devices/verizon-jetpack-mifi-8800l/?sku=sku3220058 buy the unlimited plan they have the 65 a month one https://www.verizonwireless.com/prepaid/ get a cheap MIFI signal booster off amazon and stream anime allday , rewatching Zoids atm 
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
I guess that would be a option if you had cell service? unfortunately I don't... here is my latest speed test.. at 12:45pm on a monday.. not exactly congestion time?
Photo of Alisha Grospe Whitaker

Alisha Grospe Whitaker

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Their unlimited isn't unlimited...15gb then throttled, we tried it, used up the 15gb in a day to see if the throttled speeds would work for us, it didn't...we're still with viasat. Probably not much longer though after these changes. I have yet to get up to 12mbps and I'm no where close to my 150gb..
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
@alisha
The plan Gwen mentioned does not have a 15gb threshold. You did not try the correct plan. This new plan is prepaid and has only been out since November '18. I've had it since then. Use well over 100gb per month, and average 15 to 20 meg down all day. That speed will vary by area and tower load, some places are faster, others have congestion.

Alisha Grospe Whitaker

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
That is something I'm going to look into then. We have good Verizon coverage and have been looking for something other than Viasat for the last 2 years. This new screwing by Viasat takes the cake as far as I'm concerned. We cannot use our internet...my neighbor is looking into getting fiber but it may be a while for that to happen. In the meantime prepaid is a perfect option! Thanks!
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
@Alisha
If you speak to Vz directly, ask about plan number 28366 . I haven't verified personally if that's the right number, but I've seen it around.  The reps seem to be clueless about this plan, don't know about it, say there isn't one, mention the wrong postpaid plans, etc.  Or, you can get a prepaid jetpack specifically, and activate it yourself (what I did, either direct, or Amazon/other stores).  And, as I've said before, after you activate in a jetpack, you can put the sim in other devices, like an always on home lte router (with ethernet out, etc.).
(Edited)
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 107 Reply Likes
The Verizon Jetpack seems to have a much stronger antenna than the average cell phone. My cell service is spotty and sometimes a call will drop a half dozen times in ten minutes, yet the Verizon wireless internet using the Jetpack has never dropped one time in 2 months of use. Also Verizon wireless internet does have a 14 day trial period to cancel with no cost out of pocket as long as you return the Jetpack in new condition in the original box.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
The jetpack is designed to be a wireless wifi router. Your phone can do that, but is not near as robust. That is the difference.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
I know that this is a stretch but.... Is it possible to take the jetpack wifi signal and somehow feed it to a ethernet cable? to be able to distrubate the signal via hardwire?
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 107 Reply Likes
My point was that like myself many people think if they have poor phone service they can't get usable internet through the same provider. That seems to be the consensus here. I was so sick of VIASAT I was even going to go as far as spending $1000 for a high end cell signal booster and doing the labor to install it in my cell signal sweat spot 200 yards from my house. Since it was no risk I gave it a shot and it works fine for me without a booster, but I don't need much.
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
"I know that this is a stretch but.... Is it possible to take the jetpack
wifi signal and somehow feed it to a ethernet cable? to be able to distrubate the signal via hardwire?"
A few options for that, wifi as WAN to a router that supports it, some wifi repeaters/extenders should work, or, you could just move the sim card into an always on home lte router (what I have), if you don't need portability all the time.
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
we were just fixing to get a 4g/cell booster now I know we are ASAP and yeah Verizon works pretty good 2 bars here without the booster but the booster will get me video consist speeds. 
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
we were just fixing to get a 4g/cell booster now I know we are ASAP and yeah Verizon works pretty good 2 bars here without the booster but the booster will get me video consist speeds. 
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Gwen

Verizon offers a a 4G LTE home internet setup, which is based upon a price/bucket paradigm.  For instance, 20GB@$90.

I realize their top of the line postpaid unlimited smartphone/hotspot plan caps usage at 75/20GB, respectively, and "mobile hotspot/tethering reduced to speeds up to 600Kbps (only after....20 GB/mo...)"

I would highly suggest finding VZW fine print....I would not be surprised that after x amount of data is used, your speed will be reduced to 600kbps.

VZW has never been charitable with their data plans, and for years, their voice/text plans sucked also.

Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
@Jab
The plan in question is the one I've had since November (and, any fine print there is, has been gone over).  And many others on the other forums have it too, including professional youtube mobile internet people (review and test stuff/plans for a living, long term).  They do not slow down any additional amount after x amount used.  Yet.  They may update the plan, but historically, at least for a while, they grandfather people after plan changes.

Personally, ~150GB of use, plus two other billing periods close to 100GB.  Online, reports of a few hundred from some people.  No additional slowing.

Better value than the postpaid options really in my opinion, for this purpose.  Though I would feel better about the plan if they offered it as a true home option, like you posted (unless that device has improved, it was pretty flaky for some people the last time I looked into it).  That LTE installed device can also be added to a postpaid "unlimited" plan with the jetpack limitations for those plans, instead of the listed plan options.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@barg_

Here is a writeup:

Verizon Prepaid Unlimited $65/mo Data Pla
n for Jetpacks (And Prepaid Overhauls) - Yes, you heard that right, Verizon once again has an unlimited data plan with no throttle for data-only devices (but see all the details and caveats below).

"The catch is that these prepaid plans are always subject to network management, meaning that in times of network congestion they may be temporarily deprioritized relative to other traffic."

"Relative to other traffic" means a person should be fully aware of their tower's "congestion" traffic, and its available bandwidth allotment before signing up.

If there is not a land-based fiber line to your local tower....you may want to think twice, especially if one lives in an area with lots of VZW consumers, who pass by that tower.
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Yep, like I've said a few times, slower if the tower is congested, full time deprioritization.  In case you missed my posted speed tests, here is after close to 150GB.  A little after 8pm.  With a fat cat sleeping literally on top of the inside cell booster antenna.  https://www.speedtest.net/result/d/d283004d-0756-4798-ac3b-f6f455b7916c.png

Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
yeah so its same thing viasat is going to do to all of us so this way we pay less for same service. Only this is fully unlimited so in truth if you live where you can get this you are getting more for the money.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Here is my latest speed test.. at 12:45pm on a Monday afternoon.. Not exactly congestion time? And certainly not anywhere near the 25mbps down that they said is possible...

(Edited)
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
If theres a cell tower within 10 miles of you you can get a yagi antenna that will pull in signal from 10+ miles away and give you atleast 2 bars of service 
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3153 Posts
  • 2030 Reply Likes
That may work in the flat lands, but here there are too many hils and mountains blocking the towers.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Hmmm... You have me thinking.... What if I could get a  a Verizon sim card on the unlimitied plan...  ($65 a month with auto pay) activate it on a Verizon hotspot then put it in a Netgear LB2120 that has a really good directional antenna attached...... then hook that up via ethernet cable to my router? My place has a couple of "out buildings" ..workshop... guest cabin.. main cabin... etc.. and i need to be able to run ethernet cables... the Netgear has 2 ethernet ports out.. what type of antenna would work with the netgear LB2120? or is there another device that might be better?
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
That Netgear might work, but a quick check shows that it does not support band 13, which is what I'd prefer here.  I see some people saying that it will work with Verizon on other bands, didn't check beyond a quick 30 second look other than some people have success.  Antenna?  Depends on your area, type of signal, etc.  Just googling lb2120 antenna gets a few hits for advice.  I'd ask that question on a wireless forum, people have set up "fancy" type things, I didn't need to here, booster gets a signal.

Other devices, new on ebay less than $50, Verizon smarthub (no antenna connector, but newer device), novatel t1114 (antenna connector).  Those support band 13, but might not support other bands in your area, which might be important if you have congestion there.  If you don't mind spending money..., something like a Pepwave max br1 mini might work (should be "better", more reliable, etc....).  I had a Cradlepoint a few years ago, plugged in a Verizon USB stick.  I think Netgear had a model around $30 that would take an LTE usb stick, I forget the model number though.

Or, you could use a jetpack, and connect wirelessly with wifi as wan to a router that supports that, or a network extender type thing.  I don't care to use a jetpack for home use though.
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Best set up I found its not cheap but the company is awesome I bought one of their basic cell boosters years back before you could get them for 3G and there wasn't any 4G then but the ..
weBoost Connect 4G 470103 Indoor Cell Phone Signal Booster for Home and Office - Supports 5,000 Square Foot Area
Is on our wish list and soon now I think it covers all the major cell providers. If you can somewhere outside your home get 3 bars you can bring that and a bit more into the home. My first set up didnt do any good with the antenna I had so they sent me a new directional antenna free of charge to help me get it working. 
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
unfortunately there isn't one within maybe 20 miles? and lots of mountains between us and it...
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
They said that it was only the older plans not offered any more that was slowed down during nonpeak times like the 150 gig freedom plan and the 10 gig plan with the 12-5 am freezone , so i guess if you switched to a liberty plan a current one your speeds wont be as slow during nonpeak hours as they are now 
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Gwen

I don't believe those on EXEDE 5-10 (2012 era), with 12-5 am freezone, are affected by these changes.  This plan has a 10GB data bucket, which when exceeded, throttles an user to dialup speeds.  During network congestion, these users "share the pain." 

Prioritize your data concept has only been introduced recently on "unlimited" plans for augmented beams (WB's satellites)

Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
You may be right , They just told me that all *Grandfathered* plans was now slowed down , Maybe they meant the older unlimited plans? 
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Hi Gwen, I read that any unlimited plan that was bought before February 13, 2018 is now being slowed down at night...
(Edited)
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
*Waves* Hey Pana what's knew , Guess that explains my horrible speeds as of the last 2-3 weeks lol
(Edited)

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
@Gwen

I too was thinking of getting that jetpack and the plan also :3 I never thought of the mifi booster though... THANKS!!! FOR THE LINKS!!! :3

i will try and get it next month :3 thank you!!! :3
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
In a couple months the 5G mifi will be out. Now, not everywhere is going to have 5G right away, but if committing to a booster for a 2 year minimum, you might want to wait a little while longer. I know I am.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
5G? I can barely get 3G and when a signal does come in it's slow as dial up.
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Sorry fmj, 7pm, ping's a bit high, but goofy server.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/7976567168.png

I'm not worried about 5g.  I suspect this will also be one of the very last areas to get it (too).  Anyway, devices for "this" are relatively cheap.  Booster, yes, that was expensive, but if I weren't using it for all phones too, just the internet/one device, I'd just use a plain antenna setup, wouldn't be out that much.  Booster has lasted a few years, and it let me use phones in the house, so I figured it's worth it (for me).

Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
I just received this email from Viasat this morning... making it official... the funny thing is that they seem to differentiate between my speeds slowing down during "Busy Periods" vs "De-Priortizing" my data during "network congestion" periods after I have reached my data cap of 150 gigs a month? What is the differece guys? And they obviously are trying to get me to dump my current plan and go with one of the plans that they now offer... the largest one now has a maximun speed of 12mbps and a maximum data cap of 50 gigs... sadly not enough for my current needs...

and here is what my speed was last night at 7:45pm... not enough bandwith to really be useful...
(Edited)
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
yeah they want you back under contract if you get on the new sat you have to sign new contract and I have not heard good things about the switch most I have talked to are not happy with the speeds 
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
panahead this is the small print on the flyer I just got today they are trying to run us all into new two year contracts. I just got this yesterday in the mail
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Its funny but it shows online that I dont qualify for these packages in my area so I would be afraid of bait and switch like many have said they did that after they were on contract were told that they could not get that package and the installer was wrong but you can buy out your contract....NOPE not me ALSO install is ONLY free for new customers so would have to pay for install 
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1948 Posts
  • 1200 Reply Likes
What's shown on a flyer may not be available at your location.  I get Spectrum ads in the mail probably once a month.  Can't get it.  
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 107 Reply Likes
Even all the VIASAT homers are pissed off over the new speed configuration, obviously VIASAT does not care about their customers as most are stuck with them and they only have one competitor in the satellite internet business. What is amazing is the numbers people post that they complain about are usually better than the ones I got with VIASAT.
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
I'm not pissed (not a homer either), but I'm on Liberty and would appear to be one of the beneficiaries of the new policies on Viasat-1. I'm at a loss to explain why Liberty is cranking right along on my beam 329, since I can't recall either Freedom or Unlimited ever being offered on beam 329. This too will pass, I fear.

FWIW, things started getting better on 329 shortly after you left for the greener Verizon pasture  - coincidence or aliens? I dunno - but I'm pretty sure Viasat would like to see folks move off those Freedom and Unlimited Plans on Viasat-1. If Verizon Prepaid Unlimited is an option - go for it if on a lightly utilized tower at home.
(Edited)
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
that's good to hear.... my speeds have gotten much better during the "non congested" hours... but are still less than 2mbps from aprx. 5pm until maybe 11:30pm... right now at 11am they are just under 4mbps... i haven't jumped ship to Verizon.. yet... still trying to figure out if #1 i have any Verizon reception at my place... i have zero ATT but Verizon's coverage map shows that i might have it here? and #2 can i make it work for what i need?

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
If referring to your need for wired ethernet, you should be able to use a wireless to ethernet bridge - lots of options.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wireless+to+ethernet+bridge

(Edited)
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@pana , Should work just fine for what you need if you get a antenna or 2 , can always invite someone over to your house with verizon phone service  and see how many bars they get , if they can get atleast 1 bar thats plenty seeing as how a antenna can amplify that and turn it into 2-4 

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
I believe panahead's bigger concern is his own unique situation... multiple buildings currently with wired ethernet connections to a centralized location (shed as I recall).

The wireless to ethernet bridge should solve that problem, but needs something to support that.

Trialing the Verizon Jetpack is easy... trial, return unit if it doesn't work within the trial period and only out the first month of prepaid. #2 is also fairly easy but might require some added $$$ outlay to test it.

But I could be wrong...
(Edited)
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Thanks Gwen.... I checked with Verizon... They have a 14 day return policy on the Jetpack... but the sim card sales are final...  but they have a $30 (500mb), $40 (3gb), and the $70 (unlimited) options... and if you buy the $30 card and it works you can upgrade to the $70 by just paying the difference... if it doesn't work then you are out of pocket for $30
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ) thanks... i looked into the wireless to ethernet bridge and i happen to have a tp link archer C7 router that should support it... https://dd-wrt.com/support/router-database/  I have called Verizon re the Jetpack.. they are currently out of stock in my area but will ship one in for me to pick up on Friday...

(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
If I read it correctly, you'd want to trial the "unlimited" at $70 - some fine print differences there between plans - the unlimited prepaid is subject to prioritization during busy periods always - that should sound familiar now! The question would be how busy is the tower you can get to? The concern for me, as the nearest towers to me are in high traffic areas even if I can get to them.

When and if I trial - that will be a major test for me. Be prepated when the 14 day trial kicks in to abandon ship quickly if needed - but I'm waiting on the $199 jetpack availability ;)  
(Edited)
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Thanks... I read the same "fine print"... do you see it as only the $70 unlimited plan is the one to get de-prioritization during busy periods? not the $30 or $40 plans? and I am not really sure how busy the tower nearest me is? and not sure how many people it can support? there are probably less than 1,000 people living within range of the tower? but there is also cell traffic from people traveling in the area...

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Not sure - their explanation is just as hard to decipher as Viasat's but I'm seeing different plans at $35 for 3GB and $45 for 8GB. Proceed with all due caution lest you windup with a paperweight shaped like a jetpack because it got back on day 15 ;)

P.S. As I recall you have the WiFi modem - you could bridge the TP Link to the Viasat WiFi to test that piece of the puzzle out before the jetpack arrives. 
(Edited)
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 107 Reply Likes
My Verizon plan is premium unlimited after 15 GB I get throttled to "up to .6mb which was at .58mb when I purposely went over the last two days of the last billing cycle. With the low latency .58mb worked way better than VIASAT did at double that. It would still stream video at 480p and internet radio worked fine. What I pay for the wireless internet is hard to determine. My bill for cell only was $77 and adding the internet jumped it to $117, but I believe I had more phone than I needed.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ) good idea re the router... and here is what i got from their website re slowing down in congested times... looks like it applies to all their plans.. the 500, 3gig and unlimited... <removed link per guidelines>
(Edited)
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
I know it will probably vary by area.  But, I had Tracfone for years on Verizon.  This last year I switched to US Mobile on Verizon (they had half off for six months, included hotspot, threshold but called unlimited).  Then I switched to Verizon prepaid in the fall, first the unlimited plan with my phone (at the time unlimited on phone with 600k hotspot).  When they got the jetpack plan, my phone is line 1 now and on the 8GB plan.  Anyway, here, speed tests were ~nearly identical on all of those plans/carriers at comparable times of day (including the phone now).  Of course, doesn't mean much when the tower isn't really congested.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2099 Posts
  • 1269 Reply Likes
I currently have a Tracfone on Verizon's network (CDMA).  It works, but I normally only get two bars on a good day, so it's slow.  It's fine for talking and text, but the data part is awful.  Okay for an emergency, I suppose, though I can't tether with the phone.  
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
RE: "speed tests were ~nearly identical on all of those plans/carriers" 

Pageplus will choke DLs....great upload speed

Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
As with everything, location matters. Like I said, here, not much difference. Most here will understand congestion vs. none.

@jab, reports on the web show test results much faster than that on pageplus. I also had them a while on a second phone, only added data for a couple emergency situations, didn't test much, but it worked fine. Straight Talk is also fast in my area.

I believe Verizon prepaid is a bit higher up in priority.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@barg

Pageplus flatlined at 1.7Mbps DL my Samsung S8, in different cities. But, my Kyocera DuraXV LTE was flatlined at 3.9Mbps.  May be a newer policy for those coming onboard, or a configuration SNAFU. 

I dropped Pageplus, and use a local wireless company, which flatlines at 3.6Mbps on prepaid, and 11Mbps on postpaid.  I only have it as a backup, if Viasat blinks.

Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
@jab
Pageplus and some other Tracfone brands did have a 5 meg cap on download speed, your issue probably wasn't that though.  I did see a few reports of people still having slow speed a few months after the speed restriction was lifted.  Can't say, didn't really run speed tests when I'd activate data on that phone, other than it worked "pretty good".  I only put data on it in actual "emergency" type situations (family medical/hospital stuff).  Hard to say, could have been congestion, or martians.

@Gabe, sorry to hear that.  By the way, you can tether.  Of course it's frowned upon and against the tos, but you ...can.  I never did though, kind of felt like breaking the law or something.  I didn't use the tracfone branded phones much, some of their branded phones flat out didn't work here even outside (like lg/samsung).  I'd find a "Walmart special" or similar clearance, usually less than $50, like a Moto G when they were newer.  Last one in use with them was a Moto G4 Play carrier unlocked, was about $32 on clearance.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2099 Posts
  • 1269 Reply Likes
The LG Premier LTE does not have the ability to tether.  
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
@Gabe, again, sorry to hear.  I meant you can tether with Tracfone, but it doesn't work on every phone (especially Tracfone branded), just the plan.

Like I said, goes against TOS, so it won't work with every phone, and the process might not be easy (for some, usually root the phone at least).  Lots of discussion on the topic.  And lots of people justifying it (pay for X amount of data, use X amount of data how you want).
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
some non tracphone phones dont work too on my iphone bought straight from apple straight talk turns off hotspot. Now the Moto X pure bought from motorolla will allow it. But from the research I have been doing this week the phone wont get as fast and as good speeds/connection as the jetpacks do. I just ordered one with sim card kit will give updates on results. Also the jetpacks you can add an antenna to so you can bring in a better signal from outside. 
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3492 Posts
  • 1307 Reply Likes
Official Response
From time to time, Viasat makes updates to policies that impact our customers’ service. We recently updated our Network Management Policy to ensure the best experience for the majority of customers on our network.  We have also notified any customers who are impacted by this change by letter and email. 

Our customers’ satisfaction is paramount, so we have a team of specialists ready to respond to any questions about this change,and to make certain every customer is on the very best plan for their needs. Email us at ViasatListens@viasat.com and we'll respond ASAP or please call our team at  844-715-4412
(Edited)
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Yes your updated policies sure do impact your customers by driving us away
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3492 Posts
  • 1307 Reply Likes
I'm sorry Gwen. If you are one of the customers impacted (again now I've gotten the official reply out I can stress not all customers are impacted) we do have some options within the email. If you reply to said email you'll be able to talk one on one with myself or one of my teammates and we have a phone team as well.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Hi Brad... I am one of your customers that has been negatively affected by your new policy change.. namely you are slowing my speeds at night to a crawl! less than 2mbps at best... I purchased a plan and made a commitment.. your silver unlimited 25/150.. I was to get speeds of up to 25mbps and a data cap of 150 a month... and if I exceeded the data cap only then would you de-prioritize my bandwidth at congested times... sounded like a fair deal to me.. and I bought into it... now you have changed the rules on my plan? and you are currently slowing my download speeds behind everyone else at congested times? It doesn't seem to be fair to me? I would think that you would honor your people that had been "Grandfathered" in on the plans that they were sold... and just not sell any new ones? but you have pulled the rug out from under our feet? and when I checked what other plans you have available in my area there are only 3... and the highest data cap is 50gigs and month and a speed of 12mbps.. sadly I bought into a plan that offered 150 gigs a month... and 50 is not going to work for me? what do I do?
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3492 Posts
  • 1307 Reply Likes
Hi Panahead

Within the email we do give the option to change plans, you can stay on your plan and you will still have the data.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Hi Brad, I appreciate your offer to change plans.. But like I said earlier you are not offering a plan that has more than 50 gigs of data a month...that is 1/3 of my current plan... and yes I can remain on my current plan and have 150 gigs of data... But the speeds at night are truly unusable? Have a little compassion... What would you do if you were me? 
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3492 Posts
  • 1307 Reply Likes
I understand your disappointment. Unfortunately I have to take understandably something of a nuanced reply on giving an answer to what I would do but I will say that  you are not under an obligation to make a decision immediately. You can certainly see if there's any benefit to stay put or if you would be better off changing plans. 

Michael McDowell

• 642 Posts
  • 241 Reply Likes
I have had Exede/Viasat service for nearly two years now.  I used to be happy to recommend this service to friends, relatives, and acquaintances!  Now I just pray that those people didn't take my advice!  EVERY plan change since I signed up has been a BIG step in the WRONG direction!  Maybe Viasat made a bad decision when they offered the 150GB data plans but TS, they made the decision, they should own it until natural attrition solves the problem!  Not take advantage of subscribers, who have done nothing wrong, to cover their own, SORRY, butts!  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
What ever happened to if you like your plan you can keep your plan? Oh yeah. That didn't work so well either.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Hi  Brad... Here’s my speed tonight...  8pm... Central Coastal California... It's not what I purchased and committed to... I really feel that it is incredibly unethical of you guys to be doing what you are doing... promising us one thing and then midstream changing it on us! 1.1mbps is not something that I should be paying $120 a month for! I have been a Viasat customer for over 4 years... Felt that you guys were the answer to my internet problems! fast.. reliable.. decent price... I am not happy at all! My current plan is obviously unusable at night.. The largest of the 3 plans that you are offering me in exchange of  is 1/3 of my current data cap? You guys should be ashamed of what you are doing! 

Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Brad the big problem is why can we not look at these so called new plans online why do we have to call the number. Sorry but I am losing trust here and I take it they want a new contract and I want to see on my screen what I am getting so I can have proof and not just be my word against the person from your company. What do you expect you promised me the package I have and then change your mind so I dont trust to get my info over the phone. 
And we bought the highest priced package because we were told that buying the extra 25Mpbs would give us priority which is how we got the faster speed we wouldn't be slowed like the slower packages UNLESS we went over of course. so if your taking part of our plan away don't we have the right for a discount for losing part of what we were promised.
When I bought it it was an add on you could get the slower speed with the 150gb or faster for like $10 more a month. So I am getting screwed out of the extra I added on that is why my package shows +25mpbs at the time I paid extra.

And I also am only offered the smaller packages like panahead so guess you can get less money from me if I move to a smaller package ....hmmm not a good business move to get less from the customer?  I will not sign another contract after this move this just really makes me not trust the company and sure dont want to be tied to a contract you might say we are going to send you a dial up modem next 
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Brad the big problem is why can we not look at these so called new plans online why do we have to call the number. Sorry but I am losing trust here and I take it they want a new contract and I want to see on my screen what I am getting so I can have proof and not just be my word against the person from your company. What do you expect you promised me the package I have and then change your mind so I dont trust to get my info over the phone. 
And we bought the highest priced package because we were told that buying the extra 25Mpbs would give us priority which is how we got the faster speed we wouldn't be slowed like the slower packages UNLESS we went over of course. so if your taking part of our plan away don't we have the right for a discount for losing part of what we were promised.
When I bought it it was an add on you could get the slower speed with the 150gb or faster for like $10 more a month. So I am getting screwed out of the extra I added on that is why my package shows Freedom 150 GB - Boost 25 + WiFi  at the time I paid extra.

And I also am only offered the smaller packages like panahead so guess you can get less money from me if I move to a smaller package ....hmmm not a good business move to get less from the customer?  I will not sign another contract after this move this just really makes me not trust the company and sure dont want to be tied to a contract you might say we are going to send you a dial up modem next 
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Same boat here. BEST here now is LIBERTY 12 50 GB for the same price I pay for Unlimited Silver 25 150 GB. Half the top speed and, 1/3 the data for the same cost?! NO WAY, that's insanity!

I don't know for sure and, Viasat can't say, I get that but, I have a feeling those that are impacted like I am here are in the areas that failed antenna should have served and isn't serving or are on the very edges of those areas where some can be put on VS2 but, it's a lower SNR than it would have been had the antenna deployed properly.

Sitting tight on my plan and waiting for VS3 to begin to fix this mess.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Did you get an email on this change Bev?
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
I did same one a lot of people got. I suspect anyone on a grandfathered plan got that email.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
it's funny... I noticed my speeds at night were horrible... went crazy trying to figure out if it was on my end... Hours on the phone with tech support.. checking out my wiring... rebooting modem over and over.. then I found this forum trying to see if someone else had the same issues...  thats when i found this disclaimer re the the new de prioritization..looks like it was published January 15th of this year... but i had no email or letter from Viasat until yesterday at 9am... 
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
yeah its 11:30 am not even prime viewing hours and my download is at 4.37 upload only 0.57 I am getting better then that on my phone through verizon.....I know what they are going to do they are going to give you awesome speeds at 2 and 3 am in the morning so they can slow everyone to a crawl during the day to try to push then into new contracts
(Edited)

• 3154 Posts
  • 2030 Reply Likes
SonyaA, I am just curious what you are unable to do with your 4.37 Mbps download speed? Even 1080p needs less than that to function without buffering.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Hi  Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314  I was wondering what speed do you think is needed to stream 1080p without buffering? I am currently getting around 1mbps at prime congestion times and can't really stream video... but I would be happier to at least be able to stream? is it around 2 or 3 mbps? also to be able load webpages that have video content?

• 3154 Posts
  • 2030 Reply Likes
I have had good luck streaming 1080p on my Roku Ultra with speeds as low as 4 Mbps without any buffering. Much lower than that, the quality switches to lower resolutions.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
 Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314 thanks.. that's kinda what it thought.. I would be more than happy to have 4 to 5mbps at peak congestion and the be able to go back up to my faster speeds when it isn't so busy... Do you think it is something that Viasat could do for those of us on the grandfathered in plan? at least technically? obviously they don't want to.. but it would appease a lot of people that feel let down by Viasat...

• 3154 Posts
  • 2030 Reply Likes
Since traffic is very high in the evenings, with too many people streaming their favorite shows, I don't see how Viasat can provide higher speeds to everyone. I myself still use Dish for my TV viewing, and use Netflix and Hulu for things not available on Dish, but I know many have dropped their satellite TV service and use the internet to stream all their programming.

I too would be happy with minimums around 4 or 5 mbps, but lately there have been evenings where I am down as low as 800 kbps, and during those times, I just find something on my Dish TV or my programs recorded on my DVR to watch.

I am the only user in my house, those lo numbers are certainly not sufficient for multi user households.
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
I never stream at 1080p and even at the lower resolution I get buffering I think because the speeds are so up and down it will work fine for a bit and then give me error cause of the internet being too slow. If the jetpack I got coming will do this without the same problems. I am going to use it for all downloads and video and if viasat gets to stupidly slow I will ditch them after being with satellite internet from the days from way back in wildblue days when your internet went out a couple times a day LOL 
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
yeah I use Dish for our main tv and most of my streaming I view on my phone on Hulu and Netflix but straighttalk shuts off tethering so just watch it on phone for now. 
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2103 Posts
  • 1272 Reply Likes
Is anyone else seeing this with SonyaA's posts (her avatar), or do I need to fix something?  

• 3154 Posts
  • 2030 Reply Likes
Gabe, you are not alone. I think her avatar is not compatible with Get Satisfaction.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2103 Posts
  • 1272 Reply Likes
Ah, okay.  Thank you.  :)

I've seen people's avatars be messed up on other sites in the past, but once the problem turned out to be mine, so I wasn't sure this time.
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
might be cause I use a mac no windoze here LOL 
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Ok see if this works LOL 
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 143 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Yes the avatar now renders correctly
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2103 Posts
  • 1272 Reply Likes
Yep.  It's working.  :)  

Alisha Grospe Whitaker

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I called, I was told the only thing I could do was change to a subpar plan or discontinue my service. I am in the process of seeing if I can find a better service so I can take your company’s advice and discontinue my service.
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@alisha , Can always check out  a verizon mobile hotspot with theyre new unlimited plan for 65 a month , Its actually unlimited and doesnt tie you down with a contract seeing as how its prepaid *direct link removed per forum policy*
(Edited)

Alisha Grospe Whitaker

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I grabbed one last night. The unfortunate thing is I have to replace my booster as I only get two bars of LTE, not quite good enough to stream. I talked with Verizon for about an hour last night to figure out our best course of action. This should be good once I get a new booster.
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
I have one on the way going to see what I get as far as speeds with it I get two bars on my phone in the house but hear the jetpack has a better way of picking up signal since its just trying to get the internet and not phone but one I got I can run an antenna in case its not good enough signal or was planning on getting a whole home booster but if I can do the same thing with the antenna would rather save money LOL 
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2791 Posts
  • 1452 Reply Likes
I wonder if this mess is going to make my Liberty 12 plan even more better than it currently is.  I'm glad I never switched to one of those "unlimited" plans.

I've used up my priority data for the month, prime time is here, and current speed is 2.7 mbps.  I'm a happy camper.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Yea. But you are on a magic beam and are an unpaid Viasat shill!

Michael McDowell

• 642 Posts
  • 241 Reply Likes
Anyone know a good reporter that can get this story out to the masse?.  Only the Court of Public Opinion has a chance of influencing Viasat and/or Viasat investors!

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2103 Posts
  • 1272 Reply Likes
What would you like ViaSat to do?  
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Honor their commitment to us... they sold us a plan... asked us for a 2 year commitment... then reneged on their deal... all they need to do is to reinstate our plans as they were sold to us... they can certainly stop selling future plans... but honor their commitment... plain and simple...
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2103 Posts
  • 1272 Reply Likes
You have the option of contacting them to see what they can do for you.  It wouldn't surprise me if the options are changing to another plan or discontinuing the service.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Where is the poster that was going to use their contacts to get Viasat talked about MSNBC and Good Morning America???

If that fails, where is that guy that was working closely with the state of FLA?

And if there is no other recourse, about a year ago there was a guy contacting the FBI.

Yea. And wonder why some of us are on here so much. I know I had popcorn tonight!
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@vet , Wish i had popcorn , All i have is cheap 50 cent dollar general boxed applepies lol
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2103 Posts
  • 1272 Reply Likes
I've had those.  They aren't bad.  Gobble 'em up!  LOL.  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Who needs Fakebook? There's plenty of drama and entertainment right here!
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
@GabeU... I did contact them and you are correct.. I have the option to change plans... or stay with what I have... I bought a 25mbps/150gigs a month plan... but my speeds right now at 9pm are 1.1mbps... the largest plan they are offering me now is 12/50 a month... I wouldn’t have signed up for a 50 gigs a month plan.. I was sold a 50/150 plan on a 2 year contract!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2103 Posts
  • 1272 Reply Likes
So there was no option to discontinue the service?  
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Nope...
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2103 Posts
  • 1272 Reply Likes
Wow.  Now THAT isn't right.  AFAIK, there is supposed to be advanced notice of a change in order to give that option, or they should give that option if that advanced notice wasn't given and they simply implemented the change.  That's not good.  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Panahead, my speeds are usually worse than yours at 9PM. Been that way for a long time.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I know that is typical of contracts, especially seen it on credit cards. If you dont agree to the revised terms, you have a window to cancel.

Come on over Gwen. I got plenty of popcorn. I prefer an Amish brand, small white or this black jewel stuff, which takes a ton to make a little, but crunchy and GOOD.

BTW. the key to making good popcorn at home: coconut oil.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
GabeU here is what they say my option are... via a email at 9am this morning...
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
@fmj77 I'm sad to hear that... I was having decent speed most of the time... slower at peak times..but usually never below 4 or 5 mbps...
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2103 Posts
  • 1272 Reply Likes
I wonder if you pushed it if they'd let you cancel without the ETF.  If that's what you'd rather do, that is.

They really should give people that option.  In the Customer Agreement it mentions advanced notice, and that if you haven't cancelled by the time its implemented you're basically stuck with it, but with this there was no advanced notice, so they should give people a time period in which to do so.  Say ten days, or something like that.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Those have always been your options.

But it sounds like your only plan change option would be to move to a Liberty plan. If that has a free zone and you manage your data correctly, you could make that work. But short of moving to a different satellite, which it sounds like you can't at this time, I don't think you are going to be satisfied.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
here's my current speed... And I'm the only one online in my house.. not right for $120 a month...
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Typical of what I normally see. But you got the boost 25 plan, which I am not sure ever "boosted" speeds to that level consistently. But then again, that is the median speed, allegedly!
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
here are the 3 other plans available to me now... just a drag because i definitely use more than the 50 gigs a month... just for work.. not streaming movies..
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
to me it's more about the amount of data than the speed... the speed is nice.. but I could make do with less than 25 if needed... the data is another story...
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2103 Posts
  • 1272 Reply Likes
I could show you my current speed, but you'd scream at me.  LOL.  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
@panahead, no big deal really. At non-congested times I regularly get >15Mbps and I'm only supposed to get a max of 12 on my plan. I've learned to deal with it over the years.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
I dont want to know... BTW  VeteranSatUser... coconut oil for popcorn sounds like a good tip... thanks...
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
panahead yea that is the only plans it shows for me too so what good does it do for us to call them if they are going to try to down sell ???? Unless they are giving priority to the new sat to those effected by their BS and just dont have them listed on the site. Only way I can see those plans is if I use my phone to look them up if I use a computer on their network I get call the number for possible packages 

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
SonyaA,

If as an existing Viasat-1 customer you're being asked to call in to see plans available on Viasat-2, it's likely that they want to explain that you'll be required to start a new two year commitment period.        
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I dont believe the amount of priority data changes. I think the largest amount on 2 is 100GB. That is the Platinum plan that will run north of $200/month.

Now, will speeds be better on Viasat-2? Probably. But the graphic that it could deliver 25Mbps nationwide as long been thrown in the trash.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2103 Posts
  • 1272 Reply Likes
panahead,

Quote from Brad in https://community.viasat.com/viasat/topics/new-throttling-policy-update-is-breach-of-agreement-on-vi...

While you have the option to stay on the plan or change plans we are also offering a opt out without penalty as a result of the policy change for those affected that got the letter/email
So, if that's the route you want to take, I'd try again. 
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Yeah OldLabs figure that is what it is cause I have been out of contract for quite some time and wont sign another. Why would I? They could promise me everything but its obvious the contract lets them screw you over when they want to. So dont trust them to stick to their word. I am researching Jetpacks right now fixing to order one (NO CONTRACT) and going to give it a try. I get two bars on my phone in the house and hear the jetpacks get better signal 
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
OK guys I got the email today and they just rebooted and updated something through my modem/router this evening. Geez I forgot how I got into the modem settings last time 
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
SonyaA you should be able to log into your account https://mysso.exede.net  put in your username and password... than get the specs on your account... data usage... etc.. and also see what other plans are available to you? and also you can check your modem status by going here... http://192.168.100.1/?page=modemStatus