New services require a static IP

• Problem
  • Updated 5 days ago
  • Acknowledged
Internet services like HULU require a static IP for viewing live tv. I understand that viasat has historically not provided this to residential customer, but it might be time to consider changing that policy with the advent of these new internet services.

Is there *any* way for a residential customer to get a static IP? I would gladly pay a reasonable fee for it.
Photo of grahamck

grahamck

• 37 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes

Posted 1 week ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 843 Posts
  • 545 Reply Likes
Buy a business account and you can get one.
Photo of grahamck

grahamck

• 37 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Well - in order for me to get the same amount of data from a business account that I currently get in my residential account i would need to pay over $200 a month more. That is not what i would consider a "reasonable" amount extra to pay for one static IP.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 257 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
Virtually every ISP does not supply a static IP to residential subscribers, frequently available for business line or pay extra.

Hulu does not require a static
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 92 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 841 Posts
  • 545 Reply Likes
He is referring to the "home location" issue for local channels. 

That isn't going to work with satellite internet anyhow.

People continue to think Viasat will work for streaming content.  Depending on location, that isn't going to work either. 
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3125 Posts
  • 2009 Reply Likes
Streaming does use a bunch of data. At my summer home, I use my Roku to stream video content and live TV. I typically use in the range of 20 to 25 GB each day. I have Spectrum internet there, so I can use that much. At home, with my Viasat Liberty plan, I have to limit my use of the Roku to stay within a reasonable monthly data consumption.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 841 Posts
  • 545 Reply Likes
And Roku is just 720p max.
Photo of grahamck

grahamck

• 37 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Live TV Streaming from hulu on my viasat link works very well. Not sure what evidence people use to say it will not work, but i can tell you from personal experience that it does work very well for me. 

But yeah - the "home location" is the problem. Hulu says i should i should get a static IP. I told them that is "so '80's" but they don't get the joke. They will fix it for me whenever it happens, but it's a hassle to have to contact their tech support every time viasat changes my IP.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 841 Posts
  • 545 Reply Likes
Perhaps you are on a Viasat-2 high density beam. Or you haven't used enough priority data.

Regardless, many of us on here that have had or still have Viasat struggled with streaming without constant buffering, low resolution, etc. I mean there is a thread today about a person that cant stream. But if it works for you, count yourself lucky!
Photo of grahamck

grahamck

• 37 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I do count myself lucky. I have great service through viasat that others seem to have constant issues with. But i need a static IP.  ;-)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 841 Posts
  • 545 Reply Likes
Well, absent a business account, that is not going to happen.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1779 Posts
  • 1078 Reply Likes
Open your entire system to the Internet and subscribe to a DDNS service for an automatic redirect when your IP address changes, or maybe give just your computer a static IP on your home network and set your router to put your machine in DMZ. Get a DDNS to point to your computer.  I smell a desire for a home server and that might need the static IP but hey... DDNS will also work about the same way as a static IP on the Internet.  If Hulu demands a static IP they won't be in business very long since they are so rare.  I just know you're not giving the whole story here.

Ya I'm a jerk, but a helpful one if you do what I say.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1779 Posts
  • 1078 Reply Likes
Open your entire system to the Internet and subscribe to a DDNS service for an automatic redirect when your IP address changes, or maybe give just your computer a static IP on your home network and set your router to put your machine in DMZ. Get a DDNS to point to your computer.  I smell a desire for a home server and that might need the static IP but hey... DDNS will also work about the same way as a static IP on the Internet.  If Hulu demands a static IP they won't be in business very long since they are so rare.  I just know you're not giving the whole story here.

Ya I'm a jerk, but a helpful one if you do what I say.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1779 Posts
  • 1078 Reply Likes
gotta love Get Satisfaction
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 92 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
It is the whole story. Read a couple posts in the link I posted above. IP address determines which locals, and they only allow a certain number of IP changes per year. This is Hulu live, not basic Hulu.
(Edited)
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1779 Posts
  • 1078 Reply Likes
Then the  OP needs to own their own proxy server and go through that all the time to Hulu so they won't know where they came from.
Photo of grahamck

grahamck

• 37 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
DDNS will not work for what I need to do. I looked into a proxy - i could get a static IP for about $4 a month which is reasonable - but unfortunately Hulu is wise to proxies and that solution will not work with them. I checked off the easy stuff before i posted here. But i do appreciate the suggestions. 
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 841 Posts
  • 545 Reply Likes
Because of how satellite internet works (your physical location shows hundreds of miles away), Hulu Live is not going to work with satellite internet.
Photo of grahamck

grahamck

• 37 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hulu live does work and it works well with my viasat internet - until my IP changes and then I have to call tech support to get them to associate my new IP with my account and my zip code. They have no issues doing it but it takes a while. Static IP would fix that.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 841 Posts
  • 545 Reply Likes
Get a business account and you can get a static IP.
Photo of grahamck

grahamck

• 37 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Yeah - my previous reply to this advice still stands. :-)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 841 Posts
  • 545 Reply Likes
Well that is the only way you will get a static IP out of Viasat.

I am surprised Viasat is working so well for you with Hulu as it is. You are either on Viasat-2 high density beam or in a sparsely populated area of the country. For a number of us, the only way we could get streaming to work was with PlayOn Cloud and prerecorded content (meaning no chance at Hulu Live with or without a static IP...lol).
Photo of grahamck

grahamck

• 37 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Yeah - they put me on a "freedom plan" about a year ago - apparently because I am in a sweet spot for service (mountains in the front range of Colorado). My service has be super good ever since..... no complaints here. I regularly stream in 1080p. Even at 150GB a month though i need to keep an eye on usage.

Trying to nudge them to change their static IP policy - but i am not hopeful that i will get anywhere.......
Photo of grahamck

grahamck

• 37 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Interestingly enough viasat just told me that the business "Static IP" isn't really static either - just a more persistent DHCP connection. Oh well. Back to the drawing board.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 841 Posts
  • 545 Reply Likes
Front range! Same beam Viasat uses for testing and what not. No wonder it is so good! You are on a magic beam. Lol

Seriously, I am jealous of where you live!
(Edited)
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 431 Posts
  • 145 Reply Likes
Hulu works just fine with my random IP on VS2, and my cable modem at my other house.
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 87 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Do you have Hulu Live with local channels? Or just plain Hulu?
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 804 Posts
  • 520 Reply Likes
It all goes back to those archaic FCC rules which restrict what local channels you can watch/receive at your location. A legacy of OTA broadcasting.