New Service installed and it sucks

• Problem
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Acknowledged
New service installed today at 11am. Speed test was 14mbps with a 25 mbps silver plan. Now its 9pm and i can barely surf or load web pages as the speed is now down to 1.89mbps. My DSL service was at least a steady 2.5mbps

Called support 2 times and they claim network congestion and say sorry so many times my head is spinning. So i am about to rip this system out and get the dsl back
Photo of Leon Todd Langdon

Leon Todd Langdon

• 8 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3650 Posts
  • 2129 Reply Likes
Why exactly did you give up your hard wired internet?

Yes, primetime congestion will cause the internet to slow down. 1.89Mbps is actually pretty good during Primetime on some beams.

Leon Todd Langdon

• 8 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Then I don't want this my DSL was better than that. Why did I give up the dsl well its 89 bucks a month and it sucked for speed but was at least constant with the 2.5mbps this viasat is nice when the speed is up but not when it drops to 1.8mbps
(Edited)
Photo of Shannon Williams

Shannon Williams

• 39 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
welcome to execede  night u good 2 am -5 am 7 am till 1000 pm somedays  
Photo of Craig

Craig

• 6 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I feel your pain Leon. I'm in the process of cancelling! Absolutely horrible. I believe we should all start posting this on all the social media! I'm posting all the screen shots of their communication, posting on FB and others and putting a sign in my yard warning people of Excede!
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2278 Posts
  • 1985 Reply Likes
Craig is going to put a sign up in his yard.  Well, there goes Viasat!  Now we won't have any internet service.  Please don't do that.  Use your powers for good, not evil.  Another White Knight is going to save all of us dumb subscribers....
(Edited)
Photo of Craig

Craig

• 6 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Jim, I didn't say what the sign was going to read? I'm using my powers for good. I believe educating people is a good thing. I do like the complement of the white night :) We aren't dumb subscribers Jim, we weren't told the truth!
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2278 Posts
  • 1985 Reply Likes
Let me guess.  You didn't read your agreement and now you are blaming someone else.  Sorry, that doesn't fly here.  If you want help, this is a help forum.  If not then switch to another service.
Photo of Frank Alvarez

Frank Alvarez

• 23 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Leon I'm right there with ya! I used to have the 150 gig plan with boost 25 and I routinely got well over 25 down. I use this machine for work so speed is a good thing as I log in remotely to the system. Changed to the silver plan and get 11 on a good day usually around 3. What a rip off. Unlimited data with absolutely no speed at all. No one will ever go over as you can't do anything with it. Someday we'll have an alternative out here in the sticks and as soon as we do I'm gone!
Photo of DBWilson

DBWilson

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Feeling your pain in spades. Signed up for the Silver plan, 150G max data, "up to" 25mbps. We got 14mbps for about 5 minutes once on a Wednesday morning in perfectly clear weather. Average otherwise, regardless of day or time of day, is 2-3mbps with a low of 600K earlier this week. I don't expect 25mbps most or even any of the time; i understand what "up to" means. However, to have gotten only up to half of that one time as a max, with normal speeds a tenth of that or less and a low almost as slow as dial-up is ridiculous for what you pay and how long of a contract you have to sign to get such a snail's pace.
Photo of DBWilson

DBWilson

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Feeling your pain in spades. Signed up for the Silver plan, 150G max data, "up to" 25mbps. We got 14mbps for about 5 minutes once on a Wednesday morning in perfectly clear weather. Average otherwise, regardless of day or time of day, is 2-3mbps with a low of 600K earlier this week. I don't expect 25mbps most or even any of the time; i understand what "up to" means. However, to have gotten only up to half of that one time as a max, with normal speeds a tenth of that or less and a low almost as slow as dial-up is ridiculous for what you pay and how long of a contract you have to sign to get such a snail's pace.
Photo of Billy Hodges

Billy Hodges

• 133 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
I just shake my head when I see posts that's say I'm not getting advertised speeds. Hello if you take the time to read it says UP TO 25mbps. That's not a guarantee that your speeds will be 25mbps. There are a lot beams that are congested most evenings I'm lucky to get 2mbps but the other morning I got 43 mbps.
Photo of Billy Hodges

Billy Hodges

• 133 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
I just shake my head when I see posts that's say I'm not getting advertised speeds. Hello if you take the time to read it says UP TO 25mbps. That's not a guarantee that your speeds will be 25mbps. There are a lot beams that are congested most evenings I'm lucky to get 2mbps but the other morning I got 43 mbps.
Photo of Greg Welch

Greg Welch

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
The new Viasat Sattelite is not congested yet. It has plenty of room. Call in and mention this tben they tell you there is a outage in your area. Not what was promised. They lie to you. They say no hard restrictions if you go over your data plan. Hahaha. Go over and see. They also call that a outage in your area.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3931 Posts
  • 4017 Reply Likes
The fact that they are closing some Viasat-2 beams to new subscribers suggests that those beams have reached or are at or near their capacity - thus subject to congestion. 
(Edited)
Photo of Billy Hodges

Billy Hodges

• 133 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Old Labs it's weird I go to viasat website now and put my zip code in and get currently not available yet I put in my parents zip code which was under the same beam and get plans so I think they changed the beam my area was under

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3931 Posts
  • 4017 Reply Likes
Beam boundaries are different between Viasat-1 and Viasat-2 - they may be covered by one or the other while you aren't. Also there may be some beam overlap at or near the edges of the foot prints with some flexibility in which beam you are placed (in theory at least).  Some have noticed that they must also specify an address not simply a Zip Code to get plans available to them.

Unavailability of plans suggests all beams covering your area are at their projected capacity, while availability of plans suggests that at least one beam covering your area hasn't reached its projected capacity.

P.S. I should probably qualify that with residential capacity since some capacity is undoubtedly reserved for commercial, military, government use.  Yet another zombie conversation that's risen from the dead by someone shouting lies ;)
(Edited)
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
The beam above me is now closed, we have learned to actually input the potential customer's address to determine if they can get service or not.....zip codes are WAY too broad. I've got a zip just north of me that half is open, the other half closed. 

Andy
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
The beam above me is now closed, we have learned to actually input the potential customer's address to determine if they can get service or not.....zip codes are WAY too broad. I've got a zip just north of me that half is open, the other half closed. 

Andy
Photo of Frank Alvarez

Frank Alvarez

• 23 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Since I got switched to the Silver 25 5-6 months ago my speeds here in Florida  have been very good, routinely well over 25. I've disconnected everything in the house except my work computer, which I unplug from the internet every night. I haven't gone over my unlimited data throttling cap also known as prioritization lol since then. We have a new service coming to the area with truly unlimited data and very very good speeds. It's called Fixed Wireless. These smaller ISPs are popping up everywhere to compete with the Satellite companies in rural areas not served by cable, DSL and the like. Have a look in your area it may be an option for you. As soon as it's up here I'll be switching. Heck I'm thinking of starting my own fixed wireless ISP. Look at a company called MIMOSA they are one of the companies selling equipment. There a lots of videos on YouTube as well. I don't go online in the evenings, after working all day I don't want to see the computer, but as long as I don't go over my data throttling cap my speeds are very good. It's satellite, it has its issues, some places are better than others, the company Viasat? well sometimes they aren't completely honest with folks, but that shouldn't be a surprise in today's business environment, they have to keep their shareholders happy, clients? not so much.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 2834 Posts
  • 1791 Reply Likes
WISPs work well in the flatland parts of the country. However, there are many of us who live in the hilly or mountainous regions, where this type of service, line of sight, is not practical. That is the same reason may of us have no or poor cell service too
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
And trust me, it doesn't take much of a hill to disrupt a WISP signal. Metal roofs and really be a pain as well. 

Andy
Photo of Frank Alvarez

Frank Alvarez

• 23 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I'll let you guys know if it works out or not. It would be nice to be able to use the smart TV we paid a lot of $$$ for, not to mention all of the cool stuff like netflix and such lol.
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 50 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Don't forget it is up to 25mb

Leon Todd Langdon

• 8 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
But where does it say its down to a fricken crawl.
Photo of Shannon Williams

Shannon Williams

• 39 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
lol 
Photo of Billy Hodges

Billy Hodges

• 133 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Leon up to means anywhere from 1-25
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 443 Posts
  • 57 Reply Likes
RE: "can barely surf ..down to 1.89mbps. DSL service...steady 2.5mbps

Interesting...With Viasat's equipment fetching pages, web pages should have been delivered swiftly at 1.89Mbps.

Are you using WiFi, or an Ethernet connection to Viasat's modem?

Leon Todd Langdon

• 8 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes

Using commercial grade wifi system with a wifi controller to manage receivers. Switched back to my Verizon fios last night and everything worked great again. Tried the Viasat today and its finally up to 8 mbps but still not acceptable to me. My Verizon fios gives me 30mbps and its smoking fast. About ready to have you take this out

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3874 Posts
  • 3946 Reply Likes
If that's true, brace yourself for impact... you'll see. But which is it, DSL or FiOS?
(Edited)

Leon Todd Langdon

• 8 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes

Well the dsl is only 2.5 but unlimited data where the fios is capped at 29gig then slowed to 600kbp at times

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3874 Posts
  • 3946 Reply Likes
So both... Either one is likely preferable to satellite internet during peak usage periods.

You'll only get the touted speeds during non-peak usage periods - early AM or daytime during the week (at least for the time being) and during those times I pull 16 Mbps or more on a 12 Mbps plan

Today my "speed" is running at 3.2 Mbps on a 12 Mbps plan, which is typical for the weekend and will drop during the evening hour tonight.

(Edited)

Leon Todd Langdon

• 8 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Sure would have been nice to have that listed in the contract somewhere

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3874 Posts
  • 3946 Reply Likes
Actually it is (albeit somewhat camouflaged) with a reference to:

https://www.exede.com/documents/master/unlimited-data-policy.pdf

but yes many of us believe it should me made clearer.
(Edited)
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 148 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
This morning my speed is 2.8 Mbps on a 12 Mbps plan, typical for a Saturday morning. But I have been surfing away and watching some youtube videos without a problem. During the week I get 14-17 Mbps in the mornings. Primetime tonight it will probably get below 1 Mbps. 
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 407 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
RE: "commercial grade wifi system"

If QOS is active, turn it off...latency is the burger that screws the QOS pooch.

If possible, use Ethernet, and compare.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3650 Posts
  • 2129 Reply Likes
What you are experiencing is typical of satellite internet, and has been that way for years. If you feel the speed you are experiencing during Primetime, which is not that much slower than your DSL, is not acceptable then you are not going to be satisfied with satellite internet.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2291 Posts
  • 1150 Reply Likes
I'm confused. I thought 14 mbps was faster than 2.5 mbps. Are you telling us you can't do the same things at 1.89 mbps as you can at 2.5 mbps? Something doesn't add up here.

You are paying for speeds up to 25 mbps. When the network isn't busy you will get close to those speeds and sometimes even higher. When the network is busy, speeds will slow down.

I am paying for up to 12 mbps. I get speeds ranging from 1 mbps to 20 mbps depending on traffic. The Internet works just fine for me at 1 mbps and I can still stream video. The only difference is the time it takes if I need to download a huge file. I don't do that much so I honestly can't tell when the service is slower unless I actually do a speed test.

I only check my speed when people like you come here to go nuts about your "slow" 14 mbps connection.

Speed for me this morning is 15 mbps. I am paying for up to 12 mbps. Tonight it will probably be between 1 to 5 mbps which is perfectly acceptable.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3931 Posts
  • 4017 Reply Likes
Thanks for the tip, I'm gonna go make some money on my own schedule with Uber! Can I use a beat up old pickup truck?
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2291 Posts
  • 1150 Reply Likes
Whats ironic is I have been an Uber drive off an on for the last three years yet I still get these advertisements.

I think your vehicle just has to be less than 10 years old.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3931 Posts
  • 4017 Reply Likes
Great I've got a few years, I can cater to the rural clientele who don't mind riding in the truck bed. 
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2291 Posts
  • 1150 Reply Likes
If you seriously want to sign up use my referral code, 1BKESUE, and we both get some sort of bonus.  Last I checked it was $250 but it could be different in your market.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2291 Posts
  • 1150 Reply Likes
This just keeps getting more confusing. I just read your other post that says you have Verizon Fios at 30 mbps.

Why on earth did you sign up for satellite Internet if you already have Verizon Fios?

Leon Todd Langdon

• 8 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Fios has a data cap and slows to 600kbp after that. Thats why
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2291 Posts
  • 1150 Reply Likes
1.8 maps sounds faster than 600k. Now I'm even more confused.

What is the data cap?
Photo of Hfcomms

Hfcomms

• 107 Posts
  • 146 Reply Likes
Do due diligence before you sign up for anything.  If you had spent some time here you would of learned that what you already had was superior to what satellite Internet can do.  Now your stuck into a two year contract.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 437 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
RE: "This just keeps getting more confusing"

The poster's name is legit, and this person is associated with Audio, Security & Automation, so he could be contacted.

If this site could indicate if a poster has a Viasat IP, this would be helpful; yes, people using Smartphones post here, but there are still hit/run trolls using others names.  Why a person chooses to use their full name is perplexing, along with a photo.   He's not advertising a product/service.  On forums, its not uncommon for a moderator to see a person's IP address, so they can sometimes confirm a poster's ID, especially these days, with an external database of names/IP.
(Edited)

Leon Todd Langdon

• 8 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Well guess i screwed the pooch on this one. My bad
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2280 Posts
  • 1139 Reply Likes
Jeb is confused about me being honest about my identity.

Now I'm confused about Jeb being confused.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2276 Posts
  • 1985 Reply Likes
We are ALL confused about Jeb.  He can take the simplest issue and have us all doing traces and poster ID's and checking our underwear and who knows what else.
Crazy.  
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 437 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
RE: "screwed the pooch on this one"

Since about 1995, starting with Usenet posts, "they" have been collecting our names/posts, and even Cookies several years later.

Haven't your head about those Facebook/etc posters getting fired for saying this/that?

Big Brother is Watching...for real.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2280 Posts
  • 1139 Reply Likes
Worrying is so 20 years ago. Everything about me is out there anyway. Have you ever noticed that whenever you search for butt plugs on eBay, you see advertisements for the same products when browsing Facebook?
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 437 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
RE: " Everything about me is out there

Old News:

Checked Your Credit Since the Equifax Hack? - A recent consumer survey suggests that half of all Americans still haven’t checked their credit report since the Equifax breach last year exposed the Social Security numbers, dates of birth, addresses and other personal information on nearly 150 million people. If you’re in that fifty percent, please make an effort to remedy that soon.

VA loses another laptop with veterans' personal data, prompting inquiry

RE: "you see advertisements"

Dump your Cookies/LSOs will assist, along with flipping IP address
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2280 Posts
  • 1139 Reply Likes
I check my credit score at least once a month.  It stays between 800 and 840 so I think I'm good.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 437 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
RE: "Worrying is so 20 years ago"

China agrees: Imagine if everything you did on Facebook or Twitter counted towards a government-imposed 'citizen score'.

All your online behaviour would be analysed and assessed to come up with a measure of your online reputation, character and trustworthiness.

This could then be used by employers to decide whether to offer you a job, by banks to decide whether to give you a loan, or even by prospective partners.

Well, China is planning something like this called the Social Credit System. Details are sketchy at this stage but it is due to be up and running by 2020.

Photo of computer1949

computer1949

• 224 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Switched to Verizon hotspot getting 60 Mbps
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2276 Posts
  • 1985 Reply Likes
So what?  Not a home internet service.  Have fun with your 10gigs on your phone.

"On the new Verizon Plan Unlimited, 4G data speeds apply for the first 512 MB/day with 2G speeds thereafter. ... Mobile hotspot/tethering reduced to up to 600 Kbps after 10 GB/month; domestic data roaming at 2G speeds; int'l data reduced to 2G speeds after 512 MB/day."
(Edited)
Photo of computer1949

computer1949

• 224 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
22Gb of data then slowed. Down never will use all of that data.
Photo of computer1949

computer1949

• 224 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Unlimited
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3628 Posts
  • 2118 Reply Likes

As "unlimited" as Hughesnet and Viasat plans, albeit with less priority data. 

But if you don't use that much data, it will work for you. 

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3923 Posts
  • 4012 Reply Likes
Let's get back to the really important questions, computer1949... New plans? New eSVT tool?
(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2276 Posts
  • 1985 Reply Likes
yeah, I'm really going to miss that!
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2280 Posts
  • 1139 Reply Likes
Dinty Moore Beef Stew