New Plans came out. A little disappointed.

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Acknowledged
I'm a little bummed out. I missed my opportunity to get the liberty 12 plan with the free pass. I went online today and the new plans are out. They are expensive for what you get. The lowest plan is $65 for the unlimited 40GB data cap plan and no free pass is a little more expensive than I figured. And of course they can throttle you down, which we all know they will. They all do and it's just the typical business model. I guess I'm stuck with using my phone data for now. It's just not cost effective at this time. Hoping the prices will come down, or they will make it a reasonable amount of data. I understand people like us have limited options and many can charge what they want. I was just hoping that ViaSat would take the lead and set a new industry standard that internet can be affordable for all no matter where you are. I'll keep checking to see if the prices or data amount change. 
Photo of Terry

Terry

• 20 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of johnmc318

johnmc318

• 35 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I got lucky and got on a unlimited plan with a 150 GB "cap", but had to pay $50 more a month for it (Silver) than what other people in the area were paying for it, Now I see that if I want a cheaper option, my "cap" will be 90 Gbs less, Thats a dal breaker for me, Was hoping but maybe it will change one day
Photo of Aaron Anderson

Aaron Anderson

• 21 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
The market is going to decide if these plans work for ViaSat and if they don't they'll have to increase them or reduce prices.

I think with all the announced government and airline contracts that their focus is more toward these very lucrative contracts and the residential broadband is a lower priority.  $150 a month for 30mbps and a 100GB cap is very expensive. 

On the other hand, there is a wide swath of geographical area in states like Nevada, Montana, Wyoming, etc that never had access to ViaSat 1 plans and these plans are like night and day compared to what they have now. 
Photo of Terry

Terry

• 20 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I agree Aaron. Just a little disappointed is all. Like you said, they have made their money off Gov't and Airline contracts. I can guarantee the data residents use is already paid for. I don't expect it for free by any means, just reasonable. Lucky for me I have an option and will stick with my phone. It's not as fast as V2, but its' real time internet. No sub-second delay. There were several people around here who were curious about the new plans, and then were like me saying no way. 
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3446 Posts
  • 1289 Reply Likes
Official Response
Just to bounce off Aaron's reply: Currently ViaSat-2 plans are in some areas but will be rolling out so it may not show now, but it may appear in a few days.  A lot of plans that have released will not require the upgrade and can be done now with your current setup with no alteration of your agreement (nor puts you in one if you're no longer under the initial 24 month agreement). Some are certainly seeing a night and day difference compared to maybe a week ago. 

We're continuously striving to create the best customer experience for our customers. Our goal is to offer the best plans we can that are optimized for our customers. You can always keep checking back for new or different plans as time passes.

Those that have been with us for a while probably saw many different plans become available. I remember when Liberty was the brand new exciting option and now that seems pretty meager compared to the new stuff. So keep checking back routinely. 
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
The new plans available to me are a step down from my Freedom plan. Very disappointing. Looks like I'll be staying put and not "upgrading". Thank you very little Viasat.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3446 Posts
  • 1289 Reply Likes
You can definitely stay grandfathered on your plan. Some areas this is going to be a night and day difference from what was available but for others like you the Freedom plan may be a better option but you're under no obligation to change plans and can keep the Freedom plan as in your area if it's a better option
(Edited)
Photo of Terry

Terry

• 20 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
True fmj77. I've been reading the disappointment in a few posts on the new plans. Just in my area, I know of at least 16 people who were considering ViaSat and have said no to the outrageous costs vs low data amount. And I'm not bashing the Employees. They have no control over this. It's the upper Mgmt/Share holders that help govern this. I have a feeling things will get better. People just can't afford this. 
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Well, unless something that eliminates video throttling and, offers at least 150 Priority GB comes to my area, I won't be changing plans. I can live with Unlimited Silver, just have to download videos and watch later if I want HD. SD is fine for you tube and other short videos.
Photo of TQ

TQ

• 49 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
I just found out that The platinum plan will cost $200/ month with a data cap of 150GB @ 100 MPS. For a $ 50/ month increase from my Ulimited Silver plan, that is not worth it for increased speed. Any thoughts. Oh then you have to go onViasat2 bird.
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 207 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
... and the speed is kind of a meaningless metric. What matters is congestion (should be very good at least in the short run on VS-2) and the usage cap (150 Gbs for $200 is absurd, IMHO - but when seen in light of the other options available, if you want to play you have to pay). All in all, might be attractive to some, but as I keep saying, it falls way short of the expectations set right here for many months.
Photo of Shawn Willmon

Shawn Willmon

• 43 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
and if youre a netflix user you get throttled to 5mbs so whats the point in paying for the higer speeds, you dont need 100mbs for facebook lol
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2759 Posts
  • 1436 Reply Likes
People don't seam to understand that.  I remember the good old days when DSL and Cable internet was new.  6 mbps DSL was blazing fast.

People would rush to Bestbuy to get the latest and greatest routers.  You really had two options at the time.  I think it was wireless A and wireless B protocols.  One supported 11 mbps and the other supported 54 mbps.

People would pay double for the 54 mbps routers, even though 11 mbps was more than enough.  The uneducated sales reps convinced the customers that 54 mbps routers would give them a faster internet connection than an 11 mbps router.  The  fastest internet connection at the time wa 6 mbps.  Any router faster than that wouldn't make any difference.

Oh well.  Thats the end of my rant.  Facebook loads the same whether your connection is 5 mbps or ten million zillion mbps.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2761 Posts
  • 1436 Reply Likes
You should give  Viasat a call tonight and see if you might be able to sign up as a new subscriber with the Liberty 12 plan.  You might get lucky!

I was one of the first people to switch to a Silver Unlimited plan.  Before receiving the equipment,  I had a change of mind and decided I would be happier with Liberty 12.  I called, and to my surprise the rep was able to cancel the upgrade to unlimited and I got to keep my Liberty 12 plan.

They probably won't let you sign up with the Liberty 12 plan, but it doesn't hurt to call and ask.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Liberty 12 is still available to me, in addition to the new unlimited plans, and I am an existing subscriber.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2761 Posts
  • 1436 Reply Likes
That confirms that you really should call ASAP and ask to sign up with the Liberty 12 plan.  You may be very surprised at the answer you get.  You won't know until you call.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I'm on Freedom though and have no desire to downgrade to Liberty.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Freedom. The best plan Viasat ever offered in the past or present.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2761 Posts
  • 1436 Reply Likes
Sorry, I was directing my Liberty 12 post towards the OP.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Understood. But I will agree with a number of posters on here. Underwhelming. The "unlimited" 150GB plans made a bigger splash than this. Reminds me of the time Viasat-1 came online and they announced those plans. At least they could bring back some Free Zone so you don't eat your prime data so quick.

Thought Viasat could steal Hughesnet customers with Viasat-2. Not feeling it now.
(Edited)
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 211 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes
VeteranSatUser, agreed. And I now think they just don't want to. With the residential business, it's all about ARPU. They are focused on the corporate and government sectors now. If they choose to deny that, we can look no further than these new, "improved" plans as refutation of any such denials.

It does make me wonder if they don't actually see LEO as more of a threat than they claimed it represented. In response to that "non-threat", they have doubled down on contracts, government, corporate... and as for residential, the business they are after is primarily that which will give them ARPU more so than it will give them market share.

The picture comes into sharper focus...