New Modem Needed? Service went down in Alaska on May 5th Everywhere

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • In Progress
So I live in rural Alaska, and work in Technology, on the morning of on May 5th (around 10 AM), our internet went completely out and hasn't been back on since.  We had to run a long cable and it's been disrupted a few times by different things, so our signal wasn't great, but we were still getting good speeds for our area.  I thought at first it was just our cable finally shorted out, however after talking to several people who have Exede in my area, they have all had issues and it all started at the exact same time my mine did.  So my question is, what changed?  And do I need to upgrade to a newer router?

I've heard rumors that the new updates sent through disrupted the older modems, making them not very functional, and if you call tech support they can send you one of the newer modems?  Is this true?  Cause why else would literally everyone's service in rural Alaska go south at the very exact same time?
Photo of Dianne

Dianne

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2181 Posts
  • 398 Reply Likes
Hello Diane, That rumor is not true.  Once the new satelliteis launched, it will be about 4-6 months before it is operational. We want tomake sure all our customers continue to enjoy internet service with whateverequipment they are using. 

Have you rebooted your modem?  What are the modem lightsdisplaying?  Please respond and send an email to exedelistens@viasat.com so we can look into this. You may need a new modem but we need to do some troubleshooting to determine this.  Thanks!
Photo of Dianne

Dianne

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The rumor that something did change is 12 days 110% true,  as every single person's service got disrupted at the exact same time, and most haven't been the same since.  I always come on here hoping for in-depth tech info from you guys, but am always sadly disappointed when literally your only reply on literally anything (you've sent now 20 times) is "Oh well reset the modem..."...wow, that's pretty bad...
Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900, Champion

• 451 Posts
  • 471 Reply Likes
" "Oh well reset the modem..."...wow, that's pretty bad..."

That was not the entirety of what Diana said ....

You may need a new modem but we need to do some troubleshooting to determine this.  Thanks!

Do a hard reset of the modem (reset)

What are the modem lights displaying?  (requires an answer)

Please respond and send an email to exedelistens@viasat.com so we can look into this. (required as this public forum is not directly tied to your account)

(Edited)
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2181 Posts
  • 398 Reply Likes
Hi Dianne,  I'm sorry you feel that way.  The first step in identifying any modem issue  is to reboot it. From there we can then diagnose what the next steps will be.  If this is a common issue occurring in your area, we need to hear from all of our customers so we can begin the process of figuring out what the issue is.

Did you reboot your modem?  What are the lights on the modem displaying?

Please send your account and contact information to exedelistens@viasat.com.
(Edited)