New limit per connection?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Acknowledged
Earlier today I was downloading iTunes for my new computer. It started out at about 1.5 MBps, which is fine, but then it throttled back to 175 KBps for the rest of the download.

I assumed it was just congestion or something similar, but then I started downloading some other files and found that each file was getting only about 175 KBps. So if I download 6 files at once (the limit in Firefox), I get 6x 175 KBps, but if I download only one file at a time, I get only 175 KBps.

This is a change in behavior. I used to get more speed per file with fewer files being downloaded simultaneously.

Note that I'm only about 1/4 way through my 150 GB priority data on my silver unlimited plan, so it isn't that.

Is this intentional on Exede's part or some problem in my setup? I haven't tried rebooting the modem yet...
Photo of steve heller

steve heller

• 96 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1087 Posts
  • 353 Reply Likes
Think other programs were also downloading in the background on your new computer? Windows 10 is a data beast till you get a lot of the apps shutdown or deleted from running in the background.

I was downloading a 360 game at 15Mbps earlier today.
(Edited)
Photo of steve heller

steve heller

• 96 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
I'm pretty sure that's not the problem. I'm running a version of Windows 10 that doesn't add new features without asking me, and has very few programs installed.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3077 Posts
  • 1292 Reply Likes
My guess is that drivers and Windows 10 itself were also downloading as well as possible antivirus updates and such. Windows would need to download drivers for the mouse, keyboard, display and, any other peripherals you might have connected and, it will automatically update itself as well.

No it won't add new apps without permission but, it will update itself and driver you need without asking and, will download whatever is needed for anything you connect to the computer. Just because the computer is new doesn't mean it hasn't been sitting in a box for six months and, is in need of several updates.
Photo of steve heller

steve heller

• 96 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
It's not that new. I've been running it for a couple of weeks and it is up to date.

Anyway, the weird behavior has stopped. I'm now getting about 1 MBps on one thread.

So who knows?
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1687 Posts
  • 1003 Reply Likes

If you are connected wired, it's your computer's NIC.  If your machine is wired, disconnect it, connect using a USB WiFi dongle and a wireless router.  Come back and tell me the difference it made.  If you are using the Exede wireless modem, all bets are off.

Sounds too much like Magic?? Try it and see. 

To those with flame-throwers, put it away until he comes back with his results. I'll get my marshmallows just in case.

(Edited)