New Exede WiFi Router Modem problem?

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • In Progress
The problem seems to be the Exede WiFi modem/router because the signal is a full bar lower than my ASUS router and will not even run ROKU on my furthest TV but the ASUS will...no antennas on the EXEDE - NOT GOOD!

I can connect the Ethernet cord from Exede's router (output in the back) to the ASUS and get a good WiFi signal from the ASUS good but then the WiFi signal stops from the EXEDE unit. Is it supposed to do that?

THANKS in ADVANCE!

Ben
Photo of Ben Jumper

Ben Jumper

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1238 Posts
  • 612 Reply Likes
Why do you need or want the Wi-Fi signal from the modem? Your ASUS router is going to be far superior to the built-in router signal.
(Edited)
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 185 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
I have a Linksys WRT-1900ac router plugged into mine, the wireless on the SB2+ modem still works.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 2863 Posts
  • 2814 Reply Likes
One problem that some have seen with certain ASUS routers (as well as some other brands/models) coupled with the Exede WiFi Modem is that ASUS routers tend to default to the the same LAN IP address as that of the Exede WiFi Modem - 192.168.1.1. At the same time, the default DHCP Server IP Pool range for many ASUS routers (192.169.1.2 through 192.168.1.254) tends to conflict with that of the Exede WiFi Modem (a subset of that ASUS range as I recall).

That might be related to your issue or not - changing the ASUS to utilize 192.168.2.x for the above IP addresses has solved some issues for others.

But then again, most who do that wind up disabling the WiFi altogether on the Exede WiFi Modem - preferring to use the more robust ASUS WiFi signal for the reasons mentioned (not too mention the more robust features of many ASUS routers compared to the basic Exede WiFi Modem). Disabling the unused Exede WiFi also eliminates any potential for WiFi signal interference between the two (without additional configuration).

At the same time most want to ensure all internet access is going through their third party routers for traffic monitoring features and don;t want to leave a backdoor open for access throug the Exede WiFi modem other than the single wired connection to the ASUS (or third party) router - i.e. all wireless conectivity is controlled by the third party router..                
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1238 Posts
  • 612 Reply Likes
Bottom line. Disable the built-in router and use the router you always have. You will be much better off the in long run.
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2071 Posts
  • 339 Reply Likes
Hi Ben,  Here is some information about disabling the WiFi signal, if you choose to do so.  It is not necessary to have it on if you have another router plugged in as posted here by other users.