New Exede Satellite

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: ViaSat-2 satellite update: New satellite is on its way!

I was reading somewhere that there was a New satellite to be launched in April, just wondering if it has made it to it geostationary orbit. also is these leased by Hughes and is this the New generation 5 Sat.
Photo of Allen

Allen

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 497 Posts
  • 167 Reply Likes
The satellite has not launched yet.  All of the details you are looking for are at: https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/viasat-2-launch-date
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2408 Posts
  • 474 Reply Likes
Hi Allen, The launch date has been pushed back due to protesters in French Guiana.  We are closely monitoring the situation and our satellite is safe.  We anticipate a launch in May 2017.
Photo of Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver)

Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver), Champion

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
OH NO!!! ;-; thats not good ;-; also in may is my bday and well ill just wait for the launch until then :3 ill be waiting patiently though :3
Photo of stevenclear1

stevenclear1

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Just curious, how long until the bird is in service after the launch?
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 675 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes
About 6 months
Photo of Tommy

Tommy

• 4 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
The sales staff at exceed have been telling this new satilite story ever since I first signed up more than two years ago. I am beginning to wonder if there is a satilite actually in the works, or they just going to keep telling this same story, only pushing back the launch date till they run out of new customers.
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 497 Posts
  • 167 Reply Likes
The protests at French Guiana are real: http://en.rfi.fr/americas/20170422-french-guiana-protests-end-after-deal and there is a Kourou space center there that has an Ariane rocket whose launch has been delayed because of those protests.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3518 Posts
  • 1320 Reply Likes
To be fair we did originally plan to launch last year but there was a delay with SpaceX's falcon heavy launches that would have pushed our launch much further out. We're just weeks away now that the situation in French Guiana appear to be resolved. 

The thing about satellites are they are typically made public knowledge years in advance. Our plans for ViaSat 3 are all over the place but we're looking at a 2019/2020 timeframe for that. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.