New data rules coming?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: old post

I was recently in CA and ran into a runner with an Exede T-Shirt.  He was one of the original Exede owners and told me, when I complained that for the price we receive so few GB which don't allow us to watch a movie or listen to the radio, he said that soon new changes would be made.  Are they here yet and what are they?  Frankly, compared to a home in the Bay Area, Exede is limping along with its cap on usage.  With everything going to internet access and communication, my 15 GB month are miniscule yet cost me over $90/month
Photo of Leslie

Leslie

• 30 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Gary

Gary

• 152 Posts
  • 91 Reply Likes
You did not mention Leslie, do you have other internet options available?

In my area I do not have other options so Satellite is the best I can possibly get and so far Excede is the top dog for where I am. If there was a DSL or cable connection I would not even consider the satellite as an alternative.
Photo of Leslie

Leslie

• 30 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Only one other satellite company here.  But that is not my point.  I had Wild Blue before Exede bought it and used to watch a movie or two a month.  Now I cannot even watch one.  But my point is that the cap of 10 or 15 GB is arbitrary, not an FCC rule.  Why not double that cap or triple it?  There is no cap in other forms of internet connections and the speed is awesomely faster.  And my point is that everything is going 'internet'.  Your phone, your cell data, when you go online ads appear as video without you being able to control it and therefore using up one's precious data.  

I put this point to the Exede owner I met and he said 'New things are coming.  Watch for them.  We are fixing that problem of data caps' and I want to know when that is coming.
Photo of Don Anderson Sr.

Don Anderson Sr.

• 71 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
This is why we need net neutrality and a open internet, write your reps in washington. At this time the Republicans do not want a free and open internet saying the ISP's can police themselves............
Photo of A. Everett Neuman

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
I wouldn't want a politician to help we with my dead Duck. As for the internet, I think we should keep them out of it.

They are doing such a cracker jack job with the national debt. Get them into the internet and in 3 or 4 years we will all be back to beating on drums to send a message. And the drums will be taxed!!!!
Photo of Gary

Gary

• 152 Posts
  • 91 Reply Likes
I am in complete agreement Leslie. The sooner the better as far as I am concerned. I too had Wildblue and never even came close to a cap. Here where I live the rest of the world is speeding right past me and I do in fact pay way more for much less than those who live in closer to town areas. Being left with no other alternative and no relief in sight is what really Ps me off.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
The current data caps simply reflect the finite resources available to the satellite on a spot beam by spot beam basis.

Increasing the available resources by launching a new satellite is probably what was being referred to but that's 2016 at the earliest.

In the meantime Viasat continues to try and eek everything they can out of the current bird without impacting everyone's current experience, and I wouldn't be surprised to see further plan tweaking during that time.        
(Edited)
Photo of HMC1940

HMC1940

• 605 Posts
  • 253 Reply Likes
Good comment OldLabs. I give you 5 stars. :-)
Photo of Jacqueline Tierney

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
I also think that many people don't realize that many, if not all, of the video streaming services default to the highest quality stream that your speed can support unless you change the settings lower.  If you used to be able to watch a certain amount of movies and now can't watch that same amount I'd check to see if  you can lower the setting because if Exede's speed is higher your service may be sending you an HD stream that will gobble up your data like mad.  Recently we finally figured out how to set down the setting on Neulion (commonly used by universities to stream live sports) and we picked the lowest setting of 240p and watched a 2 hour plus basketball game and used less than half a gig to data to do it.  
Photo of HMC1940

HMC1940

• 605 Posts
  • 253 Reply Likes
Jacqueline--all of you are giving really  good advice. Give you all 5 stars. :-) 
Photo of Leslie

Leslie

• 30 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Netflix used to have a place to change your settings for each movie but no longer offers that.

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
Leslie, there is a way to set down your account to a lower setting.  I just learned how to do it in the past couple weeks.  You have to bring up your account.  Click on your user profile in the upper right corner then bring up Your Account, then on that page under the profile one of the choices is "playback settings"  and there you can change it to a lower setting.  Too bad they couldn't have left the older easier way to change it.  I'm not sure but I believe this applies to any device connected to your account once you change it here. 
Photo of Leslie

Leslie

• 30 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Thanks Jacqueline.  Interesting that I can get low [up to 0.3 GB/hr] or medium [up to 0.7 GB hour] yet I've been monitoring my usage for an hour program on Netflix and Exede says it is over 2GB/hour for that program!  I frankly distrust their way of counting my usage.

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
I hear  you Leslie,  I haven't actually watched much on Exede with the lower setting yet but we have had that same experience in  the past.  We also bought extra data on Verizon when they were offering the deal in October and it always seems that if I connect my computer to Verizon via my hot spot on my phone they register lower use for identical activities.  But they of course offer a detailed chart with minute to minute usage of what they say was used and Exede does not provide a chart of that detail so its hard to know what is really going on.  :(  
Photo of ExedeEmerald

ExedeEmerald

• 204 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
Hi Leslie, That is awesome that you were able to speak with one of the original owners of Exede! He is right new things and changes are coming with data caps. As Lab Rescuer stated a new satellite will be launched in 2016,  which is going to make a big difference in the availability. We have slowly started making small changes with our packages for select areas right now and we are offering the Great Gig Give-a-way to customers as well. =)  
Photo of Leslie

Leslie

• 30 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
he said "this spring".  What is your great gig a way?  I do not think that was what he was suggesting, but a real change.  2016 is a long ways off and I do remember WIld Blue saying they were launching a satellite and that took a year longer than they said.
Photo of ExedeEmerald

ExedeEmerald

• 204 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
Hi Leslie, Our Great Gig Give-a-way gives customers up to 30 GBs of data and they have to be added in groups of 5 GBs. You can have them anytime to your account. All you have to do is send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com and I can get them added for you! =) 
Photo of Leslie

Leslie

• 30 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I did not know about this and have been a customer for over 7 years!  Is this any month forever?  
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
This promotion has only been going on for a few months now. It doesn't have an end date at this time but once you use all 30GB, you will no longer be eligible for the offer.
Photo of HMC1940

HMC1940

• 605 Posts
  • 253 Reply Likes
I have had Exede for over 2 years now. When I first got it all I got was 7.5GB then shortly after that went up to 10. Which is where it is now. Upgrade to 12GB sure would be nice.
Photo of Leslie

Leslie

• 30 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Why the 'great giveaway'?  Really these limits are totally artificial and have nothing to do with 'traffic' or FCC rules.  Besides, the internet is pervasive and the way of the future.  15 GB goes awfully fast in todays internet world.
Photo of A. Everett Neuman

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Hi Leslie,
It more or less boils down to congestion for the beam your on. Give everyone a bigger drink of water, and some will not get the normal ration. Someone has to draw a line in the water cup. Take a sip and pass it on.

We all want more, heck, Unlimited! But if my Big Gulp slowed your down, what would you say??? And vice-a-versa.

They are working on it, the new satellite is being stuffed with Gig's as we speak. 

Everett
Photo of Leslie

Leslie

• 30 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
The company is certainly correctly named although should be spelled Excede, as in "excede your limit often"
Photo of Leslie

Leslie

• 30 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
weirdly enough, if I wanted to sign up with Exede now, it says they do not offer packages in my area.  So changing packages in 'select areas' does nothing for me.  
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
That's likely an indication that your beam is at its capacity.

Sort of blows a hole in the arguments often made by the disgruntled that ViaSat is simply after everyone's $$$. If that's the case, why not simply keep selling to new customers?       
(Edited)
Photo of Tracy

Tracy

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I've been told for years by Exede reps that a better meter is coming and I'm still anxiously waiting. I would really love to see a gauge that breaks it down by day and by hours and shows megabytes used so I can better control my data use. Please add this, Exede. It would improve my view of Exede immensely.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3152 Posts
  • 2030 Reply Likes
Tracy, I agree that Exede should provide its subscribers with a more detailed data usage program. It does not seem that they are going to do this in the near future. While waiting, many of us use third party free apps to do this. I find Networx to give me with all the info I need, data by hour, day, month, year, and by devices. Others on here use Bitmeter with good results. Check these out at http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/monitor-internet-usage/
Photo of Leslie

Leslie

• 30 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
It's also 'beyond the scenes' use i.e. your computer, your cell phone, etc. doing things that you do not know.  One time an Exede employee looked into my account in detail and saw my computer was using 40% of my GB in order to do things like automatically make downloads etc.
Photo of Gary

Gary

• 138 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
All of these new I Cloud connections that continually sync devices will eat your GBs in a jiffy. I make sure all of this stuff is turned off and also have my computer set to do updates at 3 AM
Photo of Leslie

Leslie

• 30 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Gary, got a counter for a Mac?  Yes,  I learned about that iCloud stuff when this happened.  But here is my question:  The world is going this way...I do not see city folks worrying about this.  Seems like Exede is losing ground in the virtual world and falling far behind.
Photo of Gary

Gary

• 138 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
Yes Leslie, my Excede only began doing stupid stuff when me and my wife both got I Phones and an I Pad. Prior to that I had never used more than half of our allotted GBs.
We did our best to turn off all the BS associated with the 21st century internet but it sure does seem like Viasat is always one step ahead of us looking for a bigger pay check.

If I could, I would go directly back to the old Wildblue where things were a little slower but also a lot less restrictive and costly. We did not change our internet usage but Viasat sure has changed the way we are charged for the usage. 
Photo of Leslie

Leslie

• 30 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Gary, you are right about the iCloud connections.  As well as ads on sites that just come on, etc. BUT iCloud is the now and the future.  Exede keeps us in the dinosaur age of internet compared with my friends in the city who pay 1/2 the costs for 3x's the speed.   While these satellte companies advertise how fast they are compared to 'dial-up' [hey, is anyone on dial up anymore?  what is a rotary phone?], we are now the 'dial-up's' of the internet with the caps they have.
Photo of Gary

Gary

• 138 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
Leslie, while I do agree we remain in the 20th century where our internet is concerned I have to disagree it is Exede's fault. Without Exede we would likely both be in the Stone age with nothing more than dial up.
I have to blame my poor internet on both my location and the lack of real competition in my remote area. Not enough customers per SQ/MI to make it feasible to run hard lines of any sort so I must look to the stars and am thankful Exede is up there. Sure I want more data and more speed but I won't be kicking Exede to the curb any time soon. Those who have other options available to them are fools to remain on a satellite connection and we can't argue that! 
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3128 Posts
  • 2014 Reply Likes
Gary, I agree with you completely. I have no desire to move closer to the overpopulated lands, and am very happy with my Exede internet. It is so much better than dial up, and even the cell providers don't care to serve the folks in my country setting. It is nice to look out the windows and see trees, ponds, fields and only one house over a half mile away.
Photo of Gary

Gary

• 138 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
Yes Steve, I get 11 deer in the yard every afternoon and they are my only neighbors except for the pair of nesting bald eagles on the pond down the road. I am staying right here and because of satellites I get to watch the rest of the world on my TV and talk to all my friends on the WWW. I do feel for those trying to run a business via satellite internet but we all have to make our own decisions.
Photo of ExedeEmerald

ExedeEmerald

• 204 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
Hi Leslie, It is always good to have your computer and other devices notify you first before doing any updates. That will also help you with conserving data. =) 
Photo of The Dude

The Dude

• 27 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Did you listen to all that I hope everyone got cheese with all that whine ,no one put a gun to your head and made you get satellite internet go back to dial up you choose to live out far from the city where the air is clean ant nature is everywhere and there is no noise quit complaining!!!
Photo of Skip

Skip

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'd like to join in with a recommendation to Exede. Living in the boonies as I do Exede is my only option. Left Hughesnet for them quite frankly because I grew tired of talking to someone in India when I had a problem I could not address myself. I knew I had to give up some things I used to enjoy on the internet when I moved out here, i.e. gaming, streaming movies, etc. but I now pay Exede for 10 gig a month and usually only use half that...why won't you roll my unused data over? Cap it at 30 or 50 gig if you want to...but roll my unused data over so maybe one month I Can watch a streaming Netflix movie.
Photo of Gary

Gary

• 138 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
I know the answer to this and I am one of those who have complained for the same issue.

Any gigs left over by you and me and all the other "Exede-Light" customers is real money in the bank for them that they will never pass on to any of us!

My recommendation to all who care to listen is to wait until your last day of your payment cycle and check to see how much data you have left over that will not be used. On that day go to places such as Netflix, You tube and any of the other big data heavy places and start downloading useless crap or stuff you avoided all month long to conserve your data. Once we all reach our data limits they will slow us down to a crawl but so what, the following day you start a new cycle and get right back to what ever your normal speeds are.

This is a form of reverse boycott. Exede refuses to credit you for what you paid for so just use it all and eventually they will have beams totally overloaded and see the errors of their ways.

There is no need to give up the things we enjoy but we have to play their game by their rules and I for one will not be turning in any unused data from today on. If this action causes others to get slowed down then we will begin seeing their complaints in other threads posted here which will simply result in many more dissatisfied Exede customers but hey, we paid for our data too!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.