New customers offered "virtually unlimited" data

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • In Progress
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: thread worn out

Interesting that those of us who have been customers and paid the high price of this "service" are not being rewarded - but if you get NEW service they reel you in with the promise of "unlimited" data. I'm so sad to realize I'm trapped in this contract for another year.
Photo of Katy

Katy

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Go to http://www.exede.com/internet-packages-pricing/service-availability and enter your ZIP Code to determine whether you may be eligible to upgrade to a newer plan. Some, but not all, are eligible to upgrade based upon the number of Exede subscribers on their particular spot beam - beware any fine print that says "new customers only" or "promotional".     
(Edited)
Photo of RickyP033

RickyP033

• 101 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
I've tried...it's available in my area. But I joined 3 weeks BEFORE the new plan was introduced and they said I CAN NOT get it.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
We opened up the option for existing customers to transition to the Freedom plan in these select areas mid October. If it is available in your area,  you can get it
Photo of Mary Rogers

Mary Rogers

• 18 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes

This company is the biggest rip-off around!!!  They charged me $160 a month and slowed my data down after two weeks every month!  Now I find out that certain customers were given special deals when I complained every month???  I am going to the Better Business Bureau, my Attorney General, and everyone else that will listen!

Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hello Mary, we slow the speed down only after the data cap has been reached. I can go over you usage with you to see ways we can maximize your data to prepare for next month's usage. Many things can eat up data without you knowing. These new plans are offered in areas where the beams are underutilized. If you can send me your info to exedelistens@viasat.com, I'd be glad to check your eligibility to upgrade your plan. We also have a promotion going on right now called the Great Gig Giveaway that might interest you. It offers existing customers an additional 30GB of data to use over the next 6 months. Adding a few GB a month to your account will allow some extra breathing room.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
If you use up your data allowance, yes your speeds will slow down.  That's the deal.  And it isn't "certain customers" that are getting special deals, it is certain geographic areas that have low utilization of Viasat services which permit higher data caps to be established.  Viasat currently has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.  Evidently the majority of +650,000 customers have been treated fairly.
Photo of Mary Rogers

Mary Rogers

• 18 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Strange that there are so many complaints out there isn't it if the majority of your customers are happy?
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Complaints are a natural thing with many companies and those complaints are what bring us to the customers who need our help. 
Photo of A. Everett Neuman

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
I'm happy. I know what I signed up for, and I'm receiving more that the advertised rates for speed.

I do see several other customers who did not have an understanding about bandwidth, AKA, Gig's of data per month.

But I would find it hard to complain to Exede about running out of data, when they go to great lengths to explain data usage on their signup website.

Of course I want more Gig's! I want to watch Netflix all day long, while I'm also being entertained on YouTube.

But, I would be hard pressed and or embarrassed to go to the BBB or any Attorney General to file a complaint against Exede about getting ripped off, when they have provided more than advertised.

That's my rant, and I'm sticking to it.
Everett 

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Mary,

This community of 1600+ members represents only a small skewed sample of the Exede subscriber base of over 600000 at last count. It's safe to assume that not everyone comes here to sing the praises of Exede. It's also safe to assume that not all 600000+ are happy - but probably the majority are.

Give Kimberly a chance to address your issue and you may find yourself to be one of the happy ones. Send her a message... exedelistens@viasat.com.

Similarly, you'll find a number of individuals here willing to assist but we've got very little to go on from your posts other than you've got a usage problem.

It's also  clear you don't like the "promotional" aspects of the new plans or the rationale behind their being limited to new customers or specific areas which has been discussed ad nauseam in other threads here. Not many of us do like it but that's a business decision.  

We can't hep with the latter, but might be able to help with the former if you're willing to answer a few questions.

Let's start with what plan you are on that charges $160 per month?
(Edited)
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
There are promotional temporary (6-month) higher data caps for new subscribers.  Whether or not you can get the "unlimited" service depends on whether your beam (geographic area) is under utilized or not.  New subscribers in those areas get it immediately, while current customers are being phased in.  If you are in one of those geographic areas, you too can have the "unlimited" service.
Photo of RickyP033

RickyP033

• 101 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Only IF you are a NEW AFTER mid Aug 2014 that you can get it
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Fortunately, this plan was opened up to existing customers in your area, so now you can get it. (:
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Unfortunately, in my opinion, major companies do this all the time....current customers dont' get offered anything while they watch new customers getting offered all kinds of special deals...I don't feel as bad when new customers are offered temporary deals as when it is clear they are going to permanently get more for their money than I ever have....this is a common sense technique in the business world because people who are already customers are more likely to get stuck in a rut and not change to another service, even when they really aren't too happy with the plan they have...people who run the business know this, so when you look at it from the "profit motive" perspective, it makes some kind of sense..since they are more interested in bringing in more customers than they are worried about retaining the old customers, this is typically just how it goes.
I developed a quite strong dislike for verizon when I watched them give bundle deals to new customers who could sign up for phone, directv and  dsl internet thru them...deals which had these new customers paying about $30 less per month than I did, even though all I could get because of where i live was a  residential phone/directv bundle.  Yes, new customers paid $30 less per month for 3 services than I paid for 2 services.  I didn't much like verizon to begin with, but even less after watching that go on for a few yrs...and I don't even live more than a few miles from "civilization" where all the land based broadband and cable lives...and my cell phone won't even work where I live either....I switched my verizon wireless phone for a straighttalk phone yrs ago..and wound up getting more for a lot less money.
So, while major companies are doing promotions to get more and more NEW customers, while ignoring the old ones...I am busy calculating which company I will get the most for my money from.  If I can get a really better deal somewhere else, I don't give a second thought to abandoning a company I have had, no matter how long I have had it...so maybe my attitude isn't all that different from the company attitude I don't care for at all...I don't know.
with exede's new Freedom plan, the one with the "virtually unlimited" data plan (150 gb/month I think) at least there are some technical reasons they are currently limiting how many customers can have it, and where exactly people would have to live to be eligible at all (as explained by JEP and Lab rescuer above).  
And I have to say, despite all the problems noted with exede's phone-in customer service, I truly admire what is being done on this community site by the exede employees that post here (from exedelistens@viasat.com).  they  are always ready to reach out, in every discussion, to try to see if they can help.  Of course they can't' ALWAYS help...but boy they sure do try to, and they demonstrate a great attitude while doing it.  That goes such a long way.  
At the same time, if I find that I am suddenly eligible for some other company's good broadband internet service with no data allowance and good prices?  I will switch immediately.    Companies have their "bottom line" motivations and we customers do too...fortunately sometimes those match enough that a good longterm relationship is forged.    
Love it when that happens.
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Katy,

I can assist you in finding which plans are available in your area.  We have some new and exciting things in the works.  Please send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information.
Photo of Aaron

Aaron

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Katy,

Apparently I have somehow used 8.2GB of my 10GB in the first 2 days of the billing cycle? I need someone to review my usage with me, can't be accurate. If it is, I need one of these "unlimited plans" I am a new customer as of 6 days ago. Not overly impressed so far.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hello Aaron, if you can send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your information, I'd be happy to go over your usage with you.
Photo of Chrisina Paul

Chrisina Paul

• 4 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Look....I have been a WildBlue /Exede customer for about two years.  I have slowly gone up from 15 GB per month to 25.  I work online. By week three I am running out of data. I WANT UNLIMITED INTERNET. I want it for my business  and I should not have to pay onezie twozie per GB.  I have had to completely remake my schedule to work at night, but this is about as absolutely unrealistically absurd as it gets. No one in the civilized world should have to deal with such Draconian measures when it comes to internet service - that is *IF* it can even be called that!  

Bottom Line: I do not want to move - I live in a great rural area, but unfortunately, It's Exede or dialup  I think it is pretty obvious what I will choose, and there is NO reason why Exede cannot offer to me the same level of service it offers to anyone else because, it is as the advertisements say, from space!  Get with it, Exede! We are not in some third world country!  I don't mind paying for service  but this inconvenience is absolutely ridiculous. What is more is you have no real way to track what things are eating up bandwidth when.  I know you are not staffed by idiots.  I think you can figure out how to give your customers the best service. The question is, WILL YOU?
(Edited)
Photo of Stephanie Hudson

Stephanie Hudson

• 24 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
I just sent a note to the email address listed. We'll see what they say. I've been on the 25GB plan for two plus years now and just learned about the Great GB Giveaway six weeks ago (and have applied it three times to my account already). This month, I've used 38GB and just did a $9.99 Buy More GB today. My rollover date is the 20th. Fingers crossed!
Photo of RickyP033

RickyP033

• 101 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes

I've tried...it's available in my area. But I joined 3 weeks BEFORE the new plan was introduced and they said I CAN NOT get it. This complaint (data limits). And, as one person said above, limiting makes sense. What I do not get is WHY they'll only offer it to NEW customers. They'll want to  send and email or call.

And after spending hours on phone or getting numerous emails CLOSED and resubmit. Frustration where they finally tell you if you are an OLD customer to CAN NOT GET IT. We want NEW customers and we'll spend $$$$ on getting them while we OLD customers foot the bill for the advertisements.

EVERYONE on this site is and EXEDE/WILDBLUE and even HUGHES customer that's complaining. You can't get here unless you're a customer...right??? So, why do they need a direct email to answer the question which is the SAME as I stated above. They know who you are and what your plan is. I know other internet companies offer a supposedly 6-month to 12 month plan for say $19.95...but your bill will NEVER approach that low price.

One complaint that I haven't seen yet is for streaming video and VOIP. Ping, Latency and Jitter are important factors. Also, going to https:// sites will often time-out when trying to access; requiring you to re-sign in.

Because I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, NFL Rewind and 2 VOIP's I discovered it the first hour of getting Exede. And it's a constant problem after dealing with the limited data allowance for OLD customers. Those who see this post can view by using https://www.megapath.com/speedtestplus/

Sincerely Ricky P

Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3130 Posts
  • 2014 Reply Likes
Ricky P, have you checked at the Exede.com site, or sent an email to one of the moderators to see if the Freedom Plan is now available to existing customers? You may find that it has been opened up to existing customers, as many users have already stepped up to the Freedom Plan
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Steve is right. If the plan is available in your area, you will be able to upgrade to it. I posted this a few weeks ago on one of your comments but I think it is mixed in here somewhere.
Photo of RickyP033

RickyP033

• 101 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes

Steve and Kimberly:

Yes, I did...see comment below. I've found out that it WAS changed for my area sometime in mid-Nov. When they supposedly increased my 5GB plan to 10GB. But they actually decreased my 15GB (for 6 months) to 10GB. I had 15GB all of Sep and Oct and a few days in in Nov...when they upgraded 5GB to 10...they decreased mine from 15GB to 10GB.

I'll send a copy of this and my complaint about Ping/Latency/Jitter...that hasn't been addressed...with attention to Kimberly.

Photo of Stephanie Hudson

Stephanie Hudson

• 24 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Here was the response I got:
I have viewed your area and do not show any promotional plans in your area. We are always working on ways to provide our customer with plans that fit their needs. We are launching a new satellite in 2016. This doesn't mean that we won't stop working hard to find ways to provide more.

Boo...
Photo of James Morris

James Morris

• 37 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes

I upgraded to the Freedom Plan towards the ends of October.  I love it.  It definitely beats my 512K DSL I had. 

James

Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
That's awesome to hear James. Glad you're enjoying your new plan. (:
Photo of RickyP033

RickyP033

• 101 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
They sneaked it in( for OLD customers) somewhere in Mid-Nov in my area. I noticed it when they changed my 15GB for 6-months to 10Gb saying they 'Upgraded' me when they changed all the 5GB users to 10GB
Photo of Terry Crank

Terry Crank

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Well I for one am about sick of being nickeled and dimed just because I live in a rual area.   This is Satellite service.    So it is a beam to our area .... my 10 GIG gets me no where when I am loading pictures   I would be intrested in more data ... I have called around and I will be changing  If something doesn't change.  We are paying almost 70.00 per month for 10 gig Ridiculous !!

(Edited)
Photo of Terri Kudsk

Terri Kudsk

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
It dose not look like it's totally unlimited check the fine print. Unlimited for email and web browsing. But if you stream videos then you only get 10gb of data for that. I am not. Excited about this. My grandson watches a lot of you tube when he comes over and I watch Hulu instead of cable TV. Will probably have to go with cable internet. I can go through 25 gb in less than a month.
Photo of A. Everett Neuman

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Hi Terri,
Many people here on the forum and that are signed up with Exede do so because it is the only choice for internet access service.

If I had access to a cable TV/ Internet line, I would take that over Exede in a second. Not so much for the TV, but rather for the Internet service.

I am not complaining about the Exede service, I enjoy it. But compared to Cable, no contest.

Everett
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3131 Posts
  • 2015 Reply Likes
Terri Kudsk, the numbers you are referring to are for the Evolution plan, but the Freedom plan offered in limited area of the country is unlimited data, including anything downloaded. Unfortunately, the Freedom plan is not offered to many of us, so we just have to learn to live within our data budget.
Photo of Mary Rogers

Mary Rogers

• 18 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Yeah, not me anymore, thank God for Time Warner!!!
Photo of MrShow

MrShow

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
so many cheer leaders for exede here. the service sucks and most people do not complain because half of the time they cant access the internet to as they have been FAP'ed. lol i hate this servicce.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Not really. The individuals you are referring to come here freely of their own time offering advice to assist you in living with the inherent limitations of satellite internet service (why is really beyond me at this time - I'm going Galt, having just shrugged).

The majority of those who complain appear to be unaware of those limitations and failed to understand what they were getting into, but that's simply an empirical observation, just as your's is.

Those thanking God for Time Warner, Cox, Comcast, etc. and have those available as option clearly did no homework before handing over their credit cards apparently thinking they had to pay for the contract to find out what was in it. Nancy? Is that you? They would be well-advised to review the complaint histories of those providers also.

Instead, they apparently based their decision solely on marketing hype and promo offers - hey, let's get ready to bundle what a deal, it sounds to good to be true! Yep, and now buyer's remorse kicks in.

Ooh, Ahhh! That's how it always starts and then later there's yelling and screaming!

What say we all just lobby our elected representatives to enforce our constitutional right to affordable (read that as free) internet access - and that would be amendment??? The one right there next to muskets apparently.

So yeah, you hate it... we get it. Any other opinions, you need reaffirmed?

(Edited)
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Lab Rescuer - You are spot on.  I don't know whether to blame our public education system, or PT Barnum's misquote.  I can't believe the number of people that blindly sign a long term contract without doing any research.
Photo of Francis X MacFarlane

Francis X MacFarlane

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I live in a rural area in NW Alabama and I have had the 10 gig plan with Exede for a bit more than 2 years now and when I went searching for the mythical "unlimited" plan after entering my zip code I was told that Exede was not available in my area. What's up with that?
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
Your beam is likely at or near capacity, so it's closed to new customers.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Francis - You are rural enough that satellite Internet is your only broadband option, yet you live in a region that is heavily populated with satellite Internet users, so there is no "extra" data capacity to offer the Freedom Plan.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Starring Matter is spot on here. (You too JEP). When there is no longer any availability on a beam, it will show as unavailable on our website.
Photo of Francis X MacFarlane

Francis X MacFarlane

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Okey if that is the case then why is it that if the "beam" is at capacity as you state I still have the option to increase my plan from 10 GB to 25 GB, buy additional GB if needed, and have unlimited LNFZ access.
Photo of Mary Rogers

Mary Rogers

• 18 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Because it's a bunch of bs.  It's just a way for them to extort money from those that have no choice but to use their product.  I really think that this should be illegal.  I am contacting my Attorney General about their practices and I think everyone should.  If enough people complain they will have to do something about it.
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
Umm, Mary, no they wont.  Exede is providing a perfectly legal service in a legal manner.  The is nothing the attorney general should, or can, do to intervene.  We live in rural areas, services cost more to provide to us in these areas.  Milk costs more.  Gas costs more, and yes, internet costs more.   Do a little research on how satellite internet works, as compared to terrestrial internet, and you will see why it's (justifiably) more expensive, with stricter data limits.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Francis, this is because you already have a spot on the beam so you will have access to the features and upgrading options. There isn't room to start a new customer on this beam to give them those same capabilities while maintaining good service for everyone else.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.