New Customer Data all gone after watching Netflix

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: older post

I have had this service now for one day and my data was gone before a 24 hour period, Heck its just my husband and I watching Netflix, not good at all
Photo of cowgirlc

cowgirlc

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Atlas Telekomms

Atlas Telekomms

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
what plan did you picked?
Photo of cowgirlc

cowgirlc

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
10 gig, this is not right
Photo of El Dorado Networks

El Dorado Networks

• 40 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Any kind of streaming video, especially HD video, will burn up your data faster than anything else. 

Streaming Netflix video in HD will consume 1 to 3 GB per hour. A single, two-hour movie in HD can burn through 2 to 6 GB.

You can go into your Netflix account settings and lower the resolution. Standard Definition will only eat up 250 to 300 MB of data per hour.
Photo of Atlas Telekomms

Atlas Telekomms

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
well 10 gb plan only allows you to do very basic stuff, no video streaming
Photo of Linda Scott

Linda Scott

• 14 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
You and all the rest of us are getting ripped off! This data usage issue has garnered thousands of complaints and we should all write the FCC. I literally just bought an additional 3 gigs of data, less then an hour ago and supposedly it is now gone after watching exactly 1.5 hours of streaming. I used to get at least 3 hours per each gig. This is a scam and it will be the last month of service for me
Photo of Kathy Tracy

Kathy Tracy

• 30 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
you need the freedom plan!!! 150 gb
Photo of Linda Scott

Linda Scott

• 14 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Not available here
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3520 Posts
  • 1321 Reply Likes
Linda, as requested in your other thread please email me. I cannot address your concerns on here without looking into your account.
Photo of DBell

DBell

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I saw fb groups. There is something odd going on. I used ally data this month and I've never even hit 4GB in aon the when I just used my cell phone data to do what I am now. Having a geek friend connect a data meter to track. We shall see just what is going on!!
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3525 Posts
  • 1322 Reply Likes
Hi CowgirlLC

There can be A LOT of reasons that was used up. Streaming is mentioned mostly as that's the prime suspect in most cases. Other notable offenders that hog data are Gaming, Updates (has been a MAJOR reason over the last few months) and so on. Please email me at exedelistens@viasat.com and I can see what happened for you and help you out. With that said 10GB is our most basic plan and depending on what sorts of things you do online 10gb may not be the right option but either way email me and I'll see what happened and help you out!
Photo of NightShiftScot

NightShiftScot

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Cowgirlc,

There are a couple of add-on services you can look at that help you watch Netflix without using your data allowance.

NightShift (https://www.gonightshift.com/exede/)  - full disclosure, this is my company.

PlayOn (https://www.playon.tv/)

Hope this helps you out.

Scot
Photo of John Schneider

John Schneider

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am in the same boat. I just bought this service the JRB Communications. I was told there was unlimited data and the cost was $49.99. Exede was totally misrepresented to me. My only mistake is I did not read the contract I signed after installation. Shame on me for that. Now I have to figure out how to get out of this arrangement without breaking the back. And of course leave my reviews at BBB and Yelp to warn others.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
John, Your complaint should be with JRB Communications and not with Exede. 
(Edited)
Photo of John Schneider

John Schneider

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes. I am dealing with JRB. But, they are approved agents of Exede. And must be approving of this scam. Because the BBS reviews have history. And both are mentioned.
Photo of John Schneider

John Schneider

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Looks like I can exit this service for $15 a month left on my contract. I think I will do this. This data cap thing is crazy. We are not going into the holiday season with this cap hanging over us.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.