New Customer, Already reached limit??!!

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Hello,

I am a new member and we have 11 days left in our billing cycle and am on a liberty pass at this point. Am I doing something wrong?
Should I turn all active internet items off when not in use? I thought I bought into the largest package you had to keep this from happening. I never reached my hotspot (Phone) limit before the next billing cycle.

HELP!
Photo of Terri

Terri

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • a bit disappointed

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of James

James

• 333 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
after your data resets on billing date, just unplug the modem for a few days to see if the data is still being used up. the only way to really tell if your equipment is using the data is to eliminate it(unplug).
 every so often use your phone to log into the dashboard and esvt to check ,if data is disappearing then you know it is not on your end.
Photo of Terri

Terri

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ok, and if it is not on my end???? who would be using it?
Photo of Terri

Terri

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Oh, and thank you for your response.
Photo of donnie

donnie

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
ME TOO  I PAY THE BILL (OR WAIT THEY TAKE THE MONEY OUT OF THE ACCT.) AND IT RUNS FINE FOR WHAT THREE OR FOUR DAYS AND I DONT THINK THAT I HAVE USED UP 10 GIGS IN TWELVE years LET ALONE THRE DAYS   AND if  IF YOU CAN GET A HOLD OF THEM (very rare) they say that you have been downloading video,  sorry but NOT ME and I turn this internet off and unoplug every night or when I am not using it, MY OPINION   THEY ARE THEIVES AND LIERS,
Photo of Christal Lapaglia

Christal Lapaglia

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Exactly! Wait to you cancel- - it gets worse- worst experience with an Internet provider
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3491 Posts
  • 1307 Reply Likes
Hi Terri

Many many things could cause this. There's been massive IOS and Windows updates lately and a host of other things that can cause this. Please email us at exedelistens@viasat.com and we can look for you
Photo of donnie

donnie

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
SORRY BUT I HAVE TRIED TO E-MAIL YOU PEOPLE AND NO RESPONSE FROM YAS  ,OR YOU CANT GET IN BECAUSE MY E- MAIL ACCT NOT ASSOCIATED WITH ACCOUNT,BUT YOU CAN SURE AS THE CLOCK CLICK ON PAYMENT DAY TAKE THE MONEY OUT, BUT I AM NOT RECEIVING WHAT I AM PAYING FOR, I DONT HAVE AUTO-DOWNLOADS, IF I DO DOWNLOAD NOW IT WOULD TAKE UNTILL AROUND CHRISTMAS OF 2016 TO FINISH THE DOWNLOADS, YOUR SERVICE HAS GONE DOWN HILL.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
You have to include your account and contact information with the email to exedelistens@viasat.com - right now they only know you as donnie... they're not going to spend time tracking down every customer named donnie particularly if the email address you're using isn't associated with your account and given that they're probably inundated with requests.          
(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3491 Posts
  • 1307 Reply Likes
Old Labs is correct Donnie. This forum isn't tied to your account in any shape or form so we have no idea who you are unless you email us. If you didn't email exedelistens@viasat.com it probably went to our front line and those tend to take some time to get an answer. If you email exedelistens@viasat.com that's the ONLY email address that goes to us here on the forum (we're corporate office employees) and we have a 24 hour turnaround time on those emails (unless there's a request that requires some advanced support). 
Photo of Terri

Terri

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Brad,

I will email, but I was thinking last night that this is not what I expected as a NEW CUSTOMER. I have not had internet in my home for over 6 years. I trusted you guys as it was a bundle with DirecTV. How is it possible to watch my Amazon Fire stick, and play only one game nightly on my tablet eat up that much data. I live in the country so I am sure nothing else is using it up. I do not connect my phone to the Exede either so that is not eating data, my husband uses a flip phone and does not have any electronic skills. He is a TV man, and I will be checking throughout my next billing cycle. Unplugging my internet for 3 days is not what I had in mind when I opted into your service. I certainly do not want to waste money on something I have wanted for so long!

I sincerely hope that everything Lee sold me on your service did not "give me a song and dance" for the sale! I want to be happy and content with my choice. Even your installer did not have the greatest things to say about the service, he didn't say it was bad, but his short answers were not making me feel all warm and fuzzy. I was excited that we finally had some home entertainment that we hadn't been able to have due to our location. 

I don't download large amounts of data, there are only 2 of us in the house and I am the only one that knows how to operate the system.

Please, don't make me feel like I just made a HUGE mistake! I expect to here back promptly when I email which I will do right now, I am not one to waste my hard earned money.

Thank you for your time!

Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3491 Posts
  • 1307 Reply Likes
I understand Terri, The reason I'm asking to email is 1) I have no way of knowing who you are, whats going on with your account or anything without the email and 2) the whole DirecTV thing might be the root of all of this and I have a hunch on what might have happened. I'll look forward to your email
Photo of Terri

Terri

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
sent! Thank you!
Photo of Christine Conrad

Christine Conrad, Champion

• 277 Posts
  • 324 Reply Likes
Terri, make sure that your smart TV and your DirecTV dvr are not connected to your internet because they will consume your internet data in a few days. Also that Amazon Firestick is another device that will eat up your data in no time. High Def TV or movies use up about 2 GB per hour.
Photo of Terri

Terri

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Thank you Christine, nice to see supported comments than complaining comments! So if my Firestick and Directv are rendered useless with this service?? I purchased this service because the associate LEE stated that I would be able to use them without using up all my data, that I would have plenty of data with the largest package they have!! I asked that very question when I signed up!

What are my options to use the Smart TV options without using this internet!!! That was the whole purpose of getting this service!

Thanks!

(Edited)
Photo of Christine Conrad

Christine Conrad, Champion

• 277 Posts
  • 324 Reply Likes
We have a smart tv and directv dvr, but we do not allow either of them to access out wireless network with internet service. We use the tv only with the directv dvr to watch live and recorded programs. Satellite internet has its limitations, mainly the amount of data you have to use each month. It is one of the things living in the country that we have to understand.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Terri,

Unfortunately there are no really viable options on severely capped plans offered by the satellite internet providers when it comes to Smart TVs, Firesticks, DirecTV or even Dish and wanting to take full advantage of their internet connectivity options - ll of those are extremely data intensive.

The only advantage to these bundled promotions are the reduction in price for a limited period.. 

Would be interested to know, if the bundle was ordered through Exede or through DirecTV?

While I would expect Exede (or ViaSat) employees to know fully the limitations of satellite internet and properly advise customers, the same might not be true of DirecTV employees (or AT&T since they're now part of that family and aggressively pushing bundled solutions).      

Whichever player sold it (Exede or DirecTV) should be the one to own up to their mistake or misleading sales pitch.. 

P.S. And as an aside form your original post, be aware that a Smart Phone is designed to use less data when connecting to a cellular connection. The cellular providers will tell you that in order to save data connect through your WIFI - obviously they're only talking about the cellular data, and in point of fact, most Smart Phones are designed to consume even more data on WIFI - higher resolution videos, automatic updates, etc. - when you connect through Exede it's WIFI although some Smart Phones do have an option to declare that your WIFI connection is a metered or using mobile cellular connection.        

(Edited)
Photo of Terri

Terri

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

It was DirecTV!!!!! Ughhhh!

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
If it were me, I would request that DirecTV review the sales call - typically they are recorded.
Photo of Terri

Terri

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am planning my action, but have yet to receive a response from the email I was told to send.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3491 Posts
  • 1307 Reply Likes
Responding now. Those typically take up to 24 hours*
Photo of Terri

Terri

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you Brad! :)