New convert from HughesNet

• Praise
  • Updated 9 months ago
So after 6 years with HughesNet, first with Gen 4 and then with Gen 5, they finally ticked me off enough to leave them, namely I was getting issues like the one in the picture for over 4 months, and they ignored me, and every time I'd call I'd get their call center in Pakistan or wherever it was. Plus I was paying $69.99 a month for 20GB of data (plus useless 50gb "bonus bytes" at 2-8am) Viasat just reopened the Freedom plans in my area, and so I'm now over here. Installer just left, did a speed test and I was getting near 50mbps down and 16mbps up.

Is going to be interesting being able to actually DO things instead of staying within a 666MB/day cap.

Photo of NVMe

NVMe

• 28 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Freedom??? What Zip Code are you located within - something doesn't compute here.

P.S. With the new Freedom Bandwidth Usage Policy (subject to prioritization at any time due to congestion), guess it wouldn't make much difference and akin to the Verizon Unlimited Postpaid everybody's been touting (albeit Verizon probably less prone to congestion). Regardless if really Freedom, brace for impact... I see an angry mob headed this way. See the following post right after yours:

https://community.viasat.com/viasat/topics/leaving-viasat-after-new-network-policy

(Edited)
Photo of NVMe

NVMe

• 28 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I really wanted Verizon and live two miles from two towers, but only get -115dbm which is far too weak. Also I mean unlimited, not Freedom, been a long morning.

(Edited)
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
OK, that makes sense now ;)

White triangular prism shaped modem?
(Edited)
Photo of NVMe

NVMe

• 28 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Yep, would be better if it were designed so it laid horizontally and the cables connected to the backside, but that's just me.

Also, is this normal? When I click on any of the tabs in the router's page, they all fail to load.

Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3162 Posts
  • 2033 Reply Likes
To access the Viasat WiFi Gateway User Interface, type “192.168.100.1” into your web browser’s URL bar.
Photo of NVMe

NVMe

• 28 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I do, I'm talking about the settings at the top, all of those redirect to the router.viasatmodem.com address

Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3162 Posts
  • 2033 Reply Likes
I am not on VS 2, hopefully someone on VS 2 will be able to help  you on this.
Photo of NVMe

NVMe

• 28 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Would like to know if this is normal too.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Yes. It runs hot.

You should be happy on Viasat-2 compared to Gen5.

Which "unlimited" plan do you have?
Photo of NVMe

NVMe

• 28 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Starting out with the Silver 25 since it's the same price I was paying HughesNet for the first 3 months, might end up dropping down to Bronze since I don't do too much streaming after then, and it's $360 a year difference.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Even if you stream, there are ways around the video restriction.

My advice. Drop to the lowest plan and go from there.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
The issue you're having with the router configuration utility was noted some 3 months ago - not sure if a fix was ever pushed out but it appears the workaround for that user was to use an Ethernet (wired) connection. For more info see:

https://community.viasat.com/viasat/topics/cannot-access-wifi-or-router-settings

(Edited)
Photo of NVMe

NVMe

• 28 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
With these kinds of speeds I'm tempted to sign up for Netflix...

Also I ordered a USB fan so I can push some air through the modem. The modem has a fan, but it only turns on at CPU temps >95°C and it's fairly audible even over the TV at 15 feet. Not an excellent design decision in my opinion.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
You won't have those speeds with streaming.

Run fast.com and see what your speeds are ;).

You think this modem is hot, you should have seen the last model..
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2152 Posts
  • 1311 Reply Likes
but only get -115dbm which is far too weak
Mine normally ranges from about -115 to -130, but if I hold it up toward the top of the window in my side door, which happens to face the closest tower, I can get it down to about -90.  This suggests that I would have pretty good luck with an antenna, but I'm not going to bother with it.  
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
It doubles as a whole house fan, gotta love those combination devices.
Photo of NVMe

NVMe

• 28 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Bought a USB fan off of Amazon for $14 and placed it beside the modem blowing across it, even on low speed, which is inaudible, it dropped the CPU temp to 67°C. Is something I hope Viasat takes into account when designing their next modem or a revision to this one.

Also wanted to say that this is my 3rd day on Viasat, and I'm still enjoying the heck out of it. No nightly slowdown to the KB/s range, no getting knocked off IMs, and best of all, no "Do I have the data to download this file?" problem.
Photo of Mark here

Mark here

• 88 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Enjoy it while you can.....just sayin
Photo of NVMe

NVMe

• 28 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I can't imagine Viasat ever getting as bad as HughesNet. From what the installer said they're even losing dealers because of the way they're treated.