New Beams Opening!

• Announcement
  • Updated 1 day ago
  • (Edited)
Hello Everyone!

As most of you may already be aware, ViaSat-2 has been slowly releasing in new areas for the better part of the last month or so. This week we are anticipating that several new beams will be opened across the nation and we just opened up several beams this morning!

We’re working on getting a list of locations that will see this but in the meantime to see what’s available in the area please visit account.viasat.com or viasat.com/internet and enter your zip code to see if these new plans are available.

Keep in mind that ViaSat-2 does require new equipment so an installation is required as is a new commitment. If your area is currently not offering ViaSat-2 plans, sit tight as more areas are being released each week. Unfortunately, we do not have details of future release plans to share but periodically checking account.viasat.com or viasat.com/internet will allow you to see when and if the plans are currently being offered in your area. We will continue to give you updates as they become available to share!
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2739 Posts
  • 875 Reply Likes

Posted 1 week ago

Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1658 Posts
  • 1337 Reply Likes
Thanks for the update Brad.
(Edited)
Photo of Judge and Jury

Judge and Jury

• 1445 Posts
  • 809 Reply Likes
Nothing new/showing for Milpitas Ca.   :o(
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1658 Posts
  • 1337 Reply Likes

Looks like a nice place.

See the source image

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1521 Posts
  • 697 Reply Likes
Amen
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1777 Posts
  • 956 Reply Likes
California and nice are two things that don't mesh with me.

I can do without the Left Coast :)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1789 Posts
  • 960 Reply Likes
It might sorta be in my area since I now have to put an exact address in (not just a zip code), but the plans don't like like it is available.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 867 Posts
  • 266 Reply Likes
If ViaSat could slow the roll out a little more, you’d be able to wrap ViaSat 3 plans in with it. Just a thought.
Photo of Joshua

Joshua

• 186 Posts
  • 57 Reply Likes
Yeah, to me it was clear that there should be some updated communication about the actual speed of the roll out and expectations. That was a pretty big fail because the initial communication seemed to indicate that all beams would be open by the end of February.

It's all about setting or updating expectations, so if there is a problem, all Viasat needs to do is let us know and give us a new timeline.

It's always better to under promise and over deliver.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 241 Posts
  • 99 Reply Likes
That is good news, shows some movement and possibly antennas are working.

The first time in about 3 months new plans appeared on my screen.

Liberty 12 has been available for about a month and now Liberty 25 and 50..

50, 75 and 100 dollars.all are set to stream at 480, with 3Am to 6 AM free zones.

They don't say V1 or V2, probably V1?
(Edited)
Photo of VinylHanger

VinylHanger

• 23 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Ours are 30,50 and 75.  Now we suddenly have no unlimited plans available. Seems to be getting worse as time goes by.  I've pretty much given up on worrying about better service.  I'll leave it at that before I say something my Momma would be embarrassed about.
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 298 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
What is your ZIP??
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1524 Posts
  • 699 Reply Likes
$30, $50, and $75 are the introductory 3 month rates, before modem rental.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1524 Posts
  • 699 Reply Likes
"50, 75 and 100 dollars, all are set to stream at 480, with 3Am to 6 AM free zones."

Those plans give you the option to turn 480p resolution on or off.
(Edited)
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 71 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Translation....."Good news new beams are opening up but you will have to hunt to find them." this comes to mind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4OBUupicWg
Photo of Ronald Stricklin

Ronald Stricklin

• 142 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
Oh Nice, Deleted comments.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 128 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
I've given up hoping for any improvements. I was looking forward to faster speeds and more data with Viasat 2 and it looks like I'm getting neither. Looks like I'll be on the Freedom Plan for the foreseeable future.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1658 Posts
  • 1337 Reply Likes
The Freedom Plan is better than the $200 Platinum Plan at half the price.  You have what everyone wants, never give it up.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1524 Posts
  • 699 Reply Likes
Never Going To Give You Up, never going to let you down, never going to run around and desert you.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1788 Posts
  • 960 Reply Likes
I agree. We dont get the speed with thr Freedom plan on Viasat-1, but for the price and features (i.e. no video downgrader), it is the best plan one could have.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1524 Posts
  • 699 Reply Likes
Speed is a bunch of hype for most people.

My phone(Cricket wireless) is throttled to 3 mbps and it works just fine. Video on my phone is throttled to 1.5 mbps and it works fine too.

The only time you can tell it's 3 mbps is when downloading apps. For regular browsing and video, there is no difference.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 867 Posts
  • 266 Reply Likes
The only people that think speed (bandwidth in this case) is hype, are old men living alone with three cats that don’t multitask. Anyone with more than one user appreciates plentiful bandwidth.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1524 Posts
  • 699 Reply Likes
I have a dog thank you very much. Evil wife got rid of the cats.
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2505 Posts
  • 1543 Reply Likes
I only have one cat, and he is very happy with the speeds we are getting. He enjoys watching those cat videos on YouTube.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1524 Posts
  • 699 Reply Likes
My cats used to love it when I would stream aquarium videos on the tv. I miss those stupid cats.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 379 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
RE: Stephen says, Speed is a bunch of hype for most people.

Survey says, "40 percent of mobile users leave a website when it doesn’t load in
3 seconds."
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1658 Posts
  • 1337 Reply Likes
Remember, speed is data and data is speed when more trucks are added to the lanes that were added and it just seems to be slower but it isn't and,... and... Oh crap.  I thought I had it....
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1658 Posts
  • 1337 Reply Likes
Sorry Jab, I couldn't read your comment, it took to long to load...
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1788 Posts
  • 960 Reply Likes
Doubt you missed much :)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1524 Posts
  • 699 Reply Likes
Survey says, "60 percent of mobile users are patient enough to wait 3 seconds for a website to load."
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 128 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Don't get me wrong. I love the Freedom Plan. It's just that with all the hype about Viasat 2 I was looking forward to both more data and faster speeds.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 128 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Don't get me wrong. I love the Freedom Plan. It's just that with all the hype about Viasat 2 I was looking forward to both more data and faster speeds.
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 71 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Here is the current state of VS2 installs.
(Edited)
Photo of Ricky Dean

Ricky Dean

• 163 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Thanks so much for the Update..

I am not being negative.. but I am concerned that on my account,, nothing new is showing, but now you are listing older plans again,, the Liberty Plans..
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1524 Posts
  • 699 Reply Likes
I'd take a Liberty plan over an unlimited plan any day.

Unlimited plans still have data caps, video quality is throttled, and don't have free zones.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1787 Posts
  • 959 Reply Likes

That's correct.  But Liberty plans don't sound as "cool" to the uninformed consumer who just hears "unlimited" data usage and ignores the "up to", "priority data" and "video downgraded" disclaimers.   

Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 128 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes
Yep. Liberty and Freedom plans are probably the best deals you can get. Those "unlimited plans" should never have been labeled as such.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1787 Posts
  • 959 Reply Likes
That's the only way you will get on Viasat-2 though. 
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 128 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes
Unless they improve the plans and prices I won't sign up for Viasat 2.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1787 Posts
  • 959 Reply Likes
Sadly, I won't either.

It's been an underwhelming rollout, and that is an understatement.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 378 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Each ground gateway represents a large chunk of change, plus, utilities and construction folks must be involved.  Telco must run/spice fiber optic cable, and a company would call them when they are sure its a go.  Same with a power provider.

They used their corporate "gateway" to evaluate, along with some type of roving "SNG" truck, most likely, to test gateway uplinking locations, and hit/miss consumer beam areas.

I expect it would take some five or six months, after this evaluation, to have more earth stations in place.

Revenue wise, beams will not exist US wide, just those areas expected to make the most revenue.  I would expect their wide aperture beams to be mainly for aircraft usage.  I don't expect many consumers being on VS-2 beams...it won't be cheap. These aircraft can suck down upto 1Gbps max

They have "upgraded" some/all Exede-5 beams to a neo Exede-12.  In non Exede-5 areas, all I see are VS-1 plans...it seems these two birds (Anik-F2 & WB-1) do not operate where VS-1 shines.  I've never seen a later day map showing Exede-5 beams where VS-1 shines.
Photo of Dina Hess

Dina Hess

• 18 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Question: is the evening speed on a Liberty Pass -- after Liberty plan Priority Data is exhausted -- faster than the deprioritized evening speed of an "unlimited" plan?  Is it *really* consistently 1-5 Mbps?

We're only pulling 10-40 kbps post-priority evening speeds with the Silver "Unlimited" plan, which makes it difficult to even do so much as check email, but we're on a highly congested beam, so I don't know what the likelihood is that a Liberty plan would work as advertised either.
Photo of Barry McCoquiner

Barry McCoquiner

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
No, the Liberty Pass is just as bad unfortunately. Most of the time I am getting kbps speeds when the Liberty Pass is activated.
Photo of Dina Hess

Dina Hess

• 18 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Thanks for the helpful info, Barry!  I kept hearing people saying Liberty plans were better, and that saves me the hassle of changing and experimenting.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1787 Posts
  • 959 Reply Likes
The Liberty plan is better if you properly utilize the free zone and stay off the Liberty Pass.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 378 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
RE: Barry "when the Liberty Pass is activated."

Can web be surfed OK?
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1524 Posts
  • 699 Reply Likes
Liberty Pass is typically 256k during primetime. Sometimes slower and sometimes a bit faster. This is perfectly fine for web browsing but won't work with video sites such as Netflix and YouTube.

During the morning and day, you can expect speeds ranging from 1 to 5 mbps. I sometimes see speeds around 10 mbps on the Liberty Pass but it really depends on how congested your beam is and the time of day. For me, my beam is awesome from midnight to 5 pm on the Liberty Pass.

Of course, if you take advantage of the free zone, you don't have to even worry about Liberty Pass speeds.

Thanks to the free zone, I've only used 3 gb of data in the last 12 days.
Photo of Dina Hess

Dina Hess

• 18 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
If it were just me, I could do that, but we have a family of 7. I can't count on staying off of the Liberty Pass, so that's why I needed to know how well it worked. Thanks for the info -- this forum is extremely helpful.
Photo of Judge and Jury

Judge and Jury

• 1445 Posts
  • 809 Reply Likes

Dina....

Send an email to viasatlistens@viasat.com and ask about the beam loading for your area.  The social media team has access to that information and I believe they are honest people that will tell you what you can really expect.  It's hard to find someone here that has the exact plan you are considering on the same beam.

One "rule-of-thumb" method is to look at what plans are being offered in your area, both to you as a current subscriber and what is available to new subs.  If all you see are smaller Liberty plans or Bronze then you can just about figure that beam is too full to allow anything better and it may be wise to wait for the continuing roll-out of VS2 plans to arrive in your area.

Photo of Dina Hess

Dina Hess

• 18 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Thanks. The only plan being offered on my change-plan page is Liberty 12, and the page for my zip code for new subscribers shows up a notice to 'contact your local dealer' to see what's available.

I shouldn't have actually been given service because the beam was so heavily subscribed. I would have waited for VS2 -- in fact, that's what I *thought* I was doing, and what they told me would be installed.  My question was largely directed at trying to figure out if the Liberty plan would be a better choice for us right now, while waiting for VS2 to actually come through.  It doesn't sound like it'd help, though.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1787 Posts
  • 959 Reply Likes
A family of 7 on a Liberty Plan? Not a good plan for a family of 7.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 867 Posts
  • 264 Reply Likes
ViaSat doesn’t sell a plan suitable for families.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1787 Posts
  • 959 Reply Likes
The best you could do was the 150GB Freedom or the original "unlimited" plans, but both are gone.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1524 Posts
  • 699 Reply Likes
Believe it or not, Liberty 50 provides more data than Unlimited Silver 25 and is the same price.

Unlimited Silver caps your priority data at 60 gb.

Liberty 50 has 50 gb priority data. Sure that's 10 gb less but you get the truly unlimited free zone plus the Liberty Pass during the day with speeds up yo 5 mbps.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1787 Posts
  • 959 Reply Likes
No I believe that. But still that is not as good as the 150GB plan originally offered.

As far as the free zone, good luck coordinating that with a family of 8 :).
Photo of Dina Hess

Dina Hess

• 18 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Liberty 50 isn't available for our zip code. Only Liberty 12.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 241 Posts
  • 99 Reply Likes
My Silver 25 plan has 150Gig of priority data, for 105.00 total.

I gave them back 60 Gig last month, my gesture at helping with the congestion :)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1524 Posts
  • 699 Reply Likes
The old unlimited plans had 150 gb across the board. The new plans are 40, 60, and 100 gb.
Photo of Tres Bien

Tres Bien

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
When you say "new plans" are you referring to VS2 plans?

If so, do you have a URL that shows the plans as they are being offered where they are being offered?

thanks.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1524 Posts
  • 699 Reply Likes
Do a Viasat search for new plans using zip code 80002.  It will show you the new plans I am referring to.  The data caps are the same whether you are on Viasat 1 or Viasat 2.

https://www.exede.com/plan-results/gold50/
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 332 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Yep, same as the zip code I looked at that is eight miles away, save for the large one being 50 instead of 30.  
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 298 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
Does the 50Mbps Gold mean it is Viasat-2? If it is Viasat-2, does that mean that the other plans are probably also on Viasat-2?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 332 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
This makes a lot of sense.  A couple of weeks ago I could get the Bronze, Silver or Gold 12Mbps plans.  Now nothing.  

Eight miles away, they can get the Unlimited Bronze 12, Unlimited Silver 25 and Unlimited Gold 30 plans.  Eight miles.  Go figure.  

I wouldn't change to them if they were available here, but it's still interesting.  
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1787 Posts
  • 959 Reply Likes
Gabe. When you look at what's available, so do you still just put in just a zip code or a specific street address? My location now requires a street address, not just a zip code. I believe the street address drills down to determine if the Viasat-2 high density beam spot is available, but that is speculations on my part.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 332 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
No, no address, just a zip code.  When checking a few other zip codes it did ask for an address as it said it "may be" available.  I didn't have an address to input, but I didn't live in those zip codes, so it wouldn't have mattered, anyway.  

With that said, in the village that is about 2.5 miles from me, in the same direction of the zip code that had the plans available, it did ask for an address as it said it "may be" available there.  
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1523 Posts
  • 699 Reply Likes
I think people are getting all bent out of shape over plans not being available.  New equipment means techs have to take silly little classes to get certified to do new installs.  Combine that with a shortage of the new equipment, and Viasat has a pretty good reason to limit what areas get new installs.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2739 Posts
  • 875 Reply Likes
We also haven't really opened most of our large beams (they're coming ASAP). Right now the beams are pretty small in comparison to VS1. We're still rolling it out  and of course keep in mind that it's a new satellite that requires new equipment and rather than just take our finger out of the hole of the dam to let it burst open we're doing a few every few days to makes sure each release everything goes smoothly.

I know most of you have been patient since VS-2 was announced as being built but we're getting there. This post was after a relatively large release of new areas and I believe we're keeping a steady momentum of releases since. We're trying to let you folks know when and IF we can communicate on these releases but I would advise that you routinely check on account.viasat.com to see if anything new opens in your area. 
Photo of Hfcomms

Hfcomms

• 60 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
People don't understand the complexity involved during a roll out of a new system.  They think you can just flip a switch and it's running at full capacity.  They don't realize all the new modems and dishes that have to go out to hundreds or thousands of retailers and the training of the installers on the new system as well as engineering challenges involved in fine tuning, ect.  There is only so much that can be done during the initial acceptance testing.  People just have to be patient.  When it opens up it opens up and until it opens up in your locality it hasn't opened up yet.  It is what it is.

I'm planning on staying on Viasat 1.  Better line of sight, overall good performance and in time when some of the enterprise customers move over to the new bird conditions in the existing spot beams should improve helping to relieve some congestion.  Patience folks!
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 76 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Are you forgetting they’ve had over 5 years to do all this? Yes, VS-2 was announced in 2012. VS-2 was launched June 1st 2017. We are 6 weeks away from one whole year since launch. That is more then enough time to setup base stations, manufacture hardware, and train technicians. VS-2 reached its orbital slot officially on December 5th 2017, although it actually arrived by the end of November. That makes almost a full 5 months in its slot. Which is also more then enough time for training, testing, etc. I’m tired of the excuses and defense of these delays from some of you. None of us are being unreasonable with our frustrations. VS1 and Hughesnet Gen 5 both took no where near as long as this.
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 867 Posts
  • 264 Reply Likes
Agreed Nathan. Either there is something very wrong with ViaSat 2, or it has been a giant mismanagement of strategic planning on ViaSat’s part. I still think some of the issue is waiting on the insurance settlement.

Obviously ViaSat 1 still works and some areas are being served by ViaSat 2. Keep in mind, ViaSat 2 was not intended to be filled with residential subscribers. Military and airlines first.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1787 Posts
  • 959 Reply Likes
Viasat-1's rollout happened very quick in relation to this rollout.

I also don't understand why people say Viasat-2 Is not intended for residential. High density spot beams in a number of areas throughout the country suggest otherwise.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2739 Posts
  • 875 Reply Likes
Keep in mind in those 5 years not counting the construction of the satellite that followed the announcement that the launch had quite a few delays including:

-A delay with SpaceX after a Falcon Heavy rocket exploded setting our projected delivery date out

-Changing to Arianespace and getting on their soonest possible schedule

-Civil unrest in French Guiana (where we launched from),

-Then of course, the several-month journey to the orbital slot, the development and testing of plans (tacks on a few months), the training for dealers/customer service agents alike to prepare for said plans following testing and now the steady rollout to ensure we don't just open the floodgates to potential problems.

With that said our releases have been a lot more frequent lately with more beams being turned on. At the time of this post some 30+ beams were released that same day. Other areas are expected to release as soon as we can including some of the big beams with a larger coverage area. 

We aren't really announcing when your area has the ViaSat-2 plans due to the massive undertaking that would be required so I'd recommend checking account.viasat.com. If you see something along the lines or a 50mbps plan...that's a ViaSat-2 plan and you will be able to change if you'd like. You can also call us at 855-463-9333
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1523 Posts
  • 699 Reply Likes
Viasat delivers an amazing internet service, but the people in marketing don't have a bit of common sense when it comes to rolling things out and creating plans.

For example, they should have never said Viasat 2 would be rolled out early February 2018.  Plus they shouldn't have created a bunch of hype that led people to believe they would receive more data, faster data, and lower prices.

I was curious about Viasat 2 plans, but had no incentive to switch to the new bird since Viasat 1 works so well for me.  Others just got all upset and some really blew a fuse when priority data amounts were reduced from 150 gb for "unlimited" to amounts ranging from 40 to 100 gb.

I think the biggest mistake in marketing was creating an Unlimited Gold 50 plan and making it the same price as Unlimited Gold 30.  If you ask me, Gold 50 should never have been created and Viasat should offer the same Unlimited Gold 30 plan whether the customer is on Viasat 1 or 2.

No complaints from me though.  These are just my observations on how Viasat messed up with plans and promoting the product.

It is always safer to under promise and over deliver, than to do the opposite.

For example, when I make appointments with my clients, I always fudge the numbers when giving an ETA.  If I think I am going to be onsite at 2 pm, I tell the customer I will be onsite some time between 1 and 2 pm.  I almost always arrive "early" and the client is very happy because I over delivered.  
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1787 Posts
  • 959 Reply Likes
Good points Stephen.

IMHO, the worst mistake was offering an "unlimited" plan with 150GB of priority data. That same plan now offers 30GB of priority data.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1523 Posts
  • 699 Reply Likes
I thought the lowest unlimited plan included 40 gb of priority data. Wow. Shows how little I know.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1787 Posts
  • 959 Reply Likes
Well, Hughesnet offers 10GB and 20GB of "unlimited" data, plus a 50GB cap on the free zone.

Now THAT is awful!
Photo of Dina Hess

Dina Hess

• 18 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
My neighbor is getting 8-12 Mbps with Hughes even after reaching his priority cap, he says. If that's true, then it actually seems pretty good to me, though the lower caps sound bad.
(Edited)
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 76 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
It’s because the new Gen5 satellite is under utilized. For now.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 332 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Well, Hughesnet offers 10GB and 20GB of "unlimited" data, plus a 50GB cap on the free zone.

Uh, not really  The unlimited data refers to the service not cutting off when you run out of your plan data, and that unlimited data speed varies from the mid hundred Kbps range to about 3Mbps, depending on your beam congestion.  

To be honest, even if those Viasat unlimited plans that are available eight miles from me were available here, none would be worth it to me.  I'd not only pay more, but I'd get less, and my speeds would be less than what I get now.  Granted, I get better speeds than many with Hughes, but still.  
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 332 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
My neighbor is getting 8-12 Mbps with Hughes even after reaching his priority cap, he says. If that's true, then it actually seems pretty good to me, though the lower caps sound bad.
Dina, he's either pulling your leg or is getting a skewed result from his speed tests.  FAP speeds aren't anywhere near that high with Hughes.  About the highest he may be getting is 3.1 or 3.2Mbps. 
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1787 Posts
  • 959 Reply Likes
I guess you didn't understand my sarcasm Gabe :). I was making fun of an "unlimited" plan with 10GB of data.

That Hughesnet flyer I got in the mail this week had so many disclaimers on it, no wonder people gets confused.

And you are right Gabe, 8 - 12Mbps after priority data used on Hughesnet? Doubtful. And not during primetime.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 332 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Ah.  Yes, I did miss your sarcasm.  My bad.  

Was it that plastic flyer?  I got one of those.  They're getting really odd with their advertisements.  
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1523 Posts
  • 699 Reply Likes
I bet that same speed test reports 60 ms for latency as well.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1787 Posts
  • 959 Reply Likes
Their marketing is weird. Always includes that plastic card, whether in an envelope or on a piece of plastic they mail you.

Their commercials are not out of the norm though.

Viasat appears to do more marketing with the signs. I actually find that more effective. Of course , there are others that don't care for the road signs.
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 71 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
viasat reimburses local installers for a % of those darn signs. I hate them. I remove them all the time. None of the signs have the correct permit in my county for outdoor advertising. Nailed and screwed to trees. All of them are misleading with the Unlimited claim.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 241 Posts
  • 99 Reply Likes
Expectations were high, it is taking longer that we would like, there may have been a few missteps along the way, there are always issues fielding a system, etc. etc. etc.

But the future is brighter than what we have today, patience or just deal with it, that's life and in the Big picture, this is just a blip on the screen.

My speeds have gotten a little better during prime time, i'm not doing cart wheels, but i see improvement, i have a good plan, lots of data and my life, sleep etc, not having to say hey i better wait til after midnight days are gone and i am grateful, and better plans will be coming.

The system is not there yet, but as we know it will never be fantastic, but our expectations should be changed to Adequate, my family has internet for school, researching various things, watching a few movies (better to get DTV or Dish for sat people).

Do you leave the water running when you brush your teeth?  If you have well, hopefully not, do you leave every light on in the house, if you are responsible and pay the electrical bill or care about the environment, probably not.  You live in the country, you have adapted to some degree, satellite internet is another utility that you have to manage.

Forget about all the hype, there is more BS by all advertising than there is complete truth, read the latest car adds, then go try and buy a car without spending all day as they work you.

Keep the faith the future is on its way and your service will get better, really :)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 867 Posts
  • 266 Reply Likes
Sounds great Johnny. Only problem is when you tell people the future will be better for years and years, at some point people will expect to see it.

I have a better plan now (on paper) than ever before. Speeds are slower now than five years ago. Hard to reconcile that with the promise of a bright future just around the corner.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 241 Posts
  • 99 Reply Likes
I like your comment, we have to keep it real, but, this is what i am experiencing and i think this will start happening for the majority, but it will take a little longer.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 867 Posts
  • 266 Reply Likes
Hope you’re right. Would be nice to sit back and just enjoy using data for a change. Not really a third world problem, but definitely a 21st century problem. I like the positive attitude though. Reminds me of me a few months back.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 867 Posts
  • 266 Reply Likes
To VeteranSatUser,

ViaSat 2 will definitely be used for residential purposes, but it is not at the rate the current satellites are being utilized for residential subscribers.   

Between 90 and 95 percent of the capacity on Viasat’s older fleet — ViaSat-1, WildBlue-1 and broadband offered through Telesat’s Anik-F2 satellite — is dedicated to residential internet access for homes across the United States and Canada. Dankberg said residential broadband subscribers will form an appreciably smaller chunk of ViaSat-2 customers, though he didn’t give a percentage.

http://spacenews.com/viasat-says-viasat-2-business-plan-intact-despite-antenna-glitch/ 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1789 Posts
  • 960 Reply Likes
That makes sense, but that could still be 50 or 60%.

I mean the coverage span of Viasat-2 alone shows that there will be areas of zero residential subs :).
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 867 Posts
  • 266 Reply Likes
True. I never saw that map. I figured about the same percentages as you. Probably promised airlines a minimum quality of service which will determine how many residential subscribers.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1789 Posts
  • 960 Reply Likes
So the coverage area is the Atlantic Ocean, Caribbean, upper Mexico, and most of the continental United States. Obviously there won't be residential subs over the ocean. So that is trans Atlantic flights and maybe cruises?

Once you get to the continental United States, the high density spot beams come into play. I have a theory on how they were placed, but nothing definitive. What i can tell you is based on at least some if their placements, it wasn't all for airline and military.

Perhaps a map will leak at some point. Time will tell.
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 379 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
RE: maybe cruises?

Why, of course,

NightShift Pro is a unique caching & streaming solution that lets you access HD quality content from Netflix across all yachts and marine vessels despite cost and bandwidth limitations.

It’s designed to work with the limited bandwidth available while at sea and can make use of idle/off-peak bandwidth.
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 184 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
This is just a wild-assed guess, but I have a feeling that my beam might still be losing customers. Probably not many, but I think it could be. I base my WAG on the fact that daytime speeds have improved to the extent that VPN (we have a good one, so YMMV) has become tolerable - and I can (usually) keep several network-facing apps open at the same time. Telephony apps (e.g., Ring Central, Skype) have also gone from inconsistent to tolerable. So there's improvement in daytime hours - and this with no VS2 options offered in our area. I theorize congestion is lessening a bit...

Another factor, however, could be the movement of airline traffic from VS1 to VS2 - I'm not sure if that's actually happened yet, but we are relatively close to a major airport so I suppose that could also be a factor.

As for evening hours, speed has lessened, streaming is not quite as happy as it once was and frustration is a more frequent thing in my household (just myself and my wife). This I attribute to the Freedom offerings (folk jumped on it when available, I'm sure) and the optithrottlemized "unlimited" plans (pretty sure that many jumped on that - especially any who missed the relatively brief Freedom window). I think those users want extra data and/or "unlimited" so that they can pig out in the evening hours - hence, the lessening of our customer experience in the evening.

I would have certainly loved to have seen something tangible and tantalizing from VS2 - and maybe that may yet happen. However - even though greatly disappointed with what's happened on our beam with VS2 (nothing) - I still feel that the value proposition from ViaSat is a fair one. I would have liked to have seen much more by this point, but the value (especially compared to other sat providers) is there.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1784 Posts
  • 956 Reply Likes
You have to also keep in mind Viasat isn't the only provider for in-flight internet. I know Southwest uses a different company, for example.

There was speculation a couple months back how they were already moving in-flight internet to Viasat-2. But in the last month, a number of us have seen the slowest internet in quite awhile. So I think that might have veen wishful thinking or a mirage.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 863 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
What kinds of speeds have you seen this week? Prime time has been around 2-3 for me. Slow but improved from last week.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1784 Posts
  • 956 Reply Likes
Unfortunately....still very slow.

500kbps during Primetime this evening.

Plenty of priority data left.

Same test I will run on a Sunday morning: 10.8 Mbps
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 863 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
That’s kind of shameful. 6-10 daytime here. You’re actually pretty calm for speeds most consider unusable.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1784 Posts
  • 956 Reply Likes
I have had satellite internet for over 20 years. It is no faster today in primetime than 10 years ago when I had Wildblue.

BUT....I consume probably four times the amount of data I did a decade ago. I preload all my streaming so I can watch in 1080p with no buffering, and that works. I also had Hughesnet for 10 years.

While not perfect, Viasat is still the best option for internet where I live, so one must adapt to what one has!
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 863 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
Yes....or move. Lol. I sometimes wonder if I have expectations that are too high. I get by. Just would like to thrive for a while in life. Internet isn’t everything. Lived for years on 10GB or less. I could count the calls to customer service for problems on one hand in many years. Just speed the service up already....12 Strong just came in on preorder and it better stream buffer free tomorrow night.