New and Different Problems Now Showing for Me on Beam 329 - Anyone Else?

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: tired

It seemed like they had things worked out and doing well about the end February and it seemed like everything was humming along quite nicely.  I had have a share of my issues (See the posted about my experience with Exede Easy Care on Beam 329) that pertain to equipment or something that I am hoping will be corrected as of this coming Monday.   That being said, both yesterday and today - particularly starting in the mid-afternoon my service has gone to horrible.  Experience loss of packets, page load problems, even small streaming items not working all that well.

Now yes I am on Liberty Pass and I understand and know what that is like.  That being said, I also know of at least two others that started to have problems around the same time I did yesterday and whose service was corrected about the same time I did yesterday so I do not think this is due to being on the Liberty Pass, nor do I believe it is due to the other issues I am experience as the other two users I know of did not have any equipment problems to my knowledge.

So here it is around 6:00 PM and Packet Loss and Throughput indicators are Red (checked as I noted performance - and by that I mean the way pages were working and loading - was not normal even for being on the Liberty Pass.

So I spoke to someone who seemed to indicate that it may be (and by may be, it seems that the indication was very much an indication or actually is) likely Exede is doing some upgrades and work on the system somewhere that is causing these problems.

So to make this shorter than my normal posts.

If you are on Beam 329 and sign into the MyEsvt site, do you see indications of problems or is it just me?

Are you experiencing problems this evening (and yesterday) with the service in the 329 Beam?

Has anyone called support and gotten any confirmation that there is work being performed or other problems?

Love to hear back from you. 

Screenshot for your viewing pleasure (note this only started both yesterday and today in the evenings):

Photo of Brian Shackelford

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Just called into the customer support line and he checked and was told that no problems have been reported on our Beam and that there is no current maintenance being performed on our beam at this time.

So, if you are having similar issues as described above, or see the same problems I am seeing this evening, please call customer care and go to support and report the issue.  One person does not an escalation make.  Three or more and the support will see there is an issue (if there is one).  I may be the only one seeing this, however based on my conversations today and how things started yesterday and are once again progressing down the same avenue today it seems that others may have the same issues again this evening.

On another interesting note, I decided to test my theory that every time I see issues like this I also see different plans appear on our beam.  So I checked the main site and still just see Liberty as the option may be available.  Now though if I sign into my.exede.net I see all of the below as being options:

--------------------
Liberty 10
Liberty 18
Liberty 30
exede12 - 10 w/ LN Free Zone (12:00 AM to 5:00 AM)
exede12 - 15 w/ LN Free Zone (12:00 AM to 5:00 AM)
exede12 - 25 w/ LN Free Zone (12:00 AM to 5:00 AM)
-------------------

Anyway - please post a response if you are having similar issues.  Last time we went through the process it took several months and many others getting involved to get it resolved.  In this instance I hope it is not affecting everyone, but if it is, let's get it documented sooner than later.
(Edited)
Photo of Billy Hodges

Billy Hodges

• 133 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
I am at work at the moment and my fiance called me saying that the same issues are happening now. I am the account holder so I wouldn't be able to call until tonight
Photo of KevinAuralee

KevinAuralee

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes, however, change your name online at https://my.exede.net/dashboard to {YouFirstname} or {WifeFirstname} {Lastname} and Exede CS will gladly speak to your wife.  (this has been my experience)

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
I know the feeling.  Unfortunately their escalation folks are gone by now I believe so there really isn't anything more that can be done other than at least calling and lodging the complaint and making sure they know that you are not the only one having the issue. 
Photo of Angela

Angela

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
We have been having the same issues for the past week.  We are on beam 319.  Resetting our modem doesn't help.  Here is my original post detailing our issues https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/losing-internet-connection-6vodib4ws2u3n
(Edited)
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 292 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
Hi Brian -  i took a screen print and I seem to be having issues also, different than your issue?  I was surprised to see an antenna pointing problem?  The past week or so my connection has been dropping, but comes back up. The LOS should still be ok because the trees are not in full leaf yet.

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Ok - your SNR Rx needs to be 7 or above I believe in this area to be in the normal range.  That is according to the tech that came out recently to do mine.  At one point mine had dropped to 5.5 and all kinds of issues.  After tech came out first time and realigned it, the SNR went to 9.5.  After the second visit and modem replacement it is now 8.8 normally.

I would advise signing up for Easy Care and having a tech come out.  The ones running calls in this area right now really seem to know their stuff.  Pretty sure you will be amazed at the difference it will make.

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Spinninghorse - Was the tech able to get your service stabilized?
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Hmm, storm here now so, my SNR is down but, still working fine even at this. I think the client side proxy being disconnected is the bigger issue.

Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 292 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
Brian - Look better?  He had to replace the 'radio' (?) and a cable and something wasn't grounded on the roof, so he did that. Once the work was done he couldn't get a connection so he moved it to another spot on the roof where, for this year, the tree top isn't in the way.

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
He probably replaced the Tria (the part that is mounted with the dish). It seems many of these installs may have been poorly executed. Multiple people with ungrounded equipment which may have caused equipment failures and problems and in my case most likely did seems to point to some people taking shortcuts when it was installed.

Except for systems issues that would not be on your end, I would expect you to see solid service now. The RX SNR of 9 is right about average for the area.
(Edited)
Photo of slowBill

slowBill

• 70 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
same type of issues here, beam 329 and liberty pass also.

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Read my post below for a fuller explantation.  Call into support, request Tier 2 support or tell them what was done to fix mine (reset my modem and add some GB of Priority data to my account and reset it again).  This is what seemed to correct it for me.

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Slowbill -

Did you try to call support? If so did you ask for Tier 2 support and what were you told? If you did not then please do call and ask for that. Additionally send an email to exedelistens@viasat.com and include your account number, phone number, and account email address. The team there is tight enough they can see the multiple complaints and get to the rigt people. I have already done this with my info. They should be able to see this thread and forward it on too, but not sure if engineers will actually take anything seriously without account info.

When did you start experiencing these problems? Was it Thursday afternoon (4.21.2016). About what time did they start and what time (if at all) did it seem to clear up?

I am also wondering if it has to do with how much over your Priority data usage you were when these issues crop up. I am wondering if Exede has imposed a algorithm thatbasically cuts you off from 5:00 PM to 2:00 AM if you go over a certain threshold. I have my reasons for that, but before I say more I am waiting for a reply from the team here to my email.

It wouldn't make sense to me since even though I am using more data that is showing in the screen, overall I am probably using much less than when I had the Free Zone. That being said, multiple posts in other threads seen to indicate no matter how far over we go on Liberty we should still be able to use basic tasks like web browsing. This new development reminds me of the old classic plan and how Exede was initially allowing 500 Kbps speeds even when dapped and then suddenly that stopped. For months and months I posted and asked and complained and never did anyone from Exede sayvany changes were made. It was usually "we don't block or drop traffic, it is the sites that are n't working well with the slower speeds .". Fast forward a year and I see an acknowledgement that what I had been previously told was not completely accurate.

As customers we need to hold Exede accountable to deliver what they sold. Did they sell a service that can slow down in the evenings on Liberty Pass? Absolutely. Did they via post after post give the indication we should still have usable internet while on the Pass even in the evenings. Yes. Was it also indicated that Liberty Users should only see severe impact during the congested peak times. Yes. Has there been congestion the past two days when these issues were occurring. No. Does it seem like Exede is deciding to implement something that basically just causes Liberty Pass users service tostop working between 5 PM and 2 AM. Based on the past 2 days experience and multiple people having same problems - Sure gives that impression.

I will update I hear anything. Meanwhile please call in when this is happening - every time it is happening as the issue only becomes a " known" issues if enough calls are escalated. My guess is most people don't get past Tier 1. Also post what you are told so we can keep this effort collaborative in nature and give Exede some written indication of what is going on.

Hopefully we will get this sorted out without taking weeks or even months like the last issue affecting multiple users in our Beam.

I still haven't used the added data Tier 2 put on for me as of yet so I seem to still be running fine.

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Problem seems resolved.  Keep in mind this is my 5th call to Exede support regarding this problem (twice yesterday and three times today).  Interestingly the previous 4 calls were to the Easy Care Priority Support Number and this one was to the regular support number. 

Initially I spoke with a Tier 1 representative and he did some basic troubleshooting and then passed me on to Tier 2.  Tier 2 had me restart the modem again.  Did a few things and presto amazo - internet started working.  

Being the ever inquisitive person I was, I kept pushing for what he did and what was going on.  He explained to me that once a user goes on Liberty Pass on occasion when the modem tries to enter the network, it can get stuck in some sort of Limbo that can cause these types of issues,  The fix - add a GB to the account and reboot the modem.  This seems to reset things and get it working again.  The fix may not be the same for all situations, but it worked for mine.

Now the question is once the GB added runs out will I end back up in the same situation again?  I don't know the answer to that question.  Seems odd that the issue also seems to occur between 4:00 PM and 2:00 AM (at least for the last two days) which is the same time that Exede says to expect slow speeds.

Is exede trying to implement a new algorithm that ensures Pass users get place into lower priority queues (expected and understoon) during this time but the process is possibly causing users to get stuck in the situation I was in wherein instead of slow service, they get no service? 

Only time will tell.  Now hopefully between the service call on Monday and what was done by Tier 2 tonight this will get straightened out.  He also told me that any service representative can perform this same procedure.  I have spent at least 2 hours on the phone with support, disconnected twice, and finally on the non easy care number I get resolution.

At least now I know what to ask for.  Another question is why I could get to Tier 2 support today at this hour, but could not yesterday?

Anyway - I appreciate Exede support getting this worked out, but I don't think the issue is fully resolved yet.  That will be known once I used the new data and go back to the Pass and see if it occurs again.  If so, then something is going on with Exede and the way they are handling Liberty Pass users during these problem times (my supposition, not a fact).

Please continue to post as you have problems.  The more documented the better!

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
You are echoing my exact thoughts. I now know of at least three people in Beam 329 having the exact same issue. It can be summed up as on Liberty Pass service degrades to non usable starting around 4 PM and continuing to get worse to a point where even pings start experiencing 70 to 80 percent packet loss and pages time out and DNS resolution does not work. This lasts until some point in the early morning (between 2 am and 4 am) and then service appears to revert back to normal.

This started very specifically yesterday for me. I suspect changes were made in something on our Beam this week. I am totally worn out with Exede and trying to get anywhere. The TIER 2 fixed it by adding some data but I suspect it will revert again once it runs out just like it did for Billy Flynn.

Exede do not brush this off. This is most definitely a problem that started at a very specific date and time. I noticed it yesterday, others I spoke with noticed it yesterday. Congestion wasn't even an issue in either case so there is no reason for this to be occurring.

Symptoms:
-----------------
- Pages time out
- DNS lookups failing
- Myesvt showing packet loss and throughout error indicators
- pinging from a command line showing 70 to 100 percent packet loss
- modem losing sync repeatedly
- modem on, but losing access to web interface, modem does not reboot but the 192.168.100.1 screen access drops.
- client side proxy in modem shows disconnected
- web acceleration in Myesvt shows error or is just grey
- Calls to support and techs cannot see modem properly
- No congestion is indicated on the Beam by Myesvt or by support

ALL OF THE ABOVE RESOLVED FULLY IF ADDITIONAL PRIORITY DATA ADDED
--------------------

I am begging Exede representatives to forward this thread to the people responsible for network operations. Billy Flynn seems to have summed it up nicely in the way he stayed it is like we are back on classic plans without the Liberty Pass when this happens. Again I have been on Liberty since November and even in the worst of speeds experienced as documented in my other thread on my experience with Liberty Pass on Beam 329 I did not have these issues. Something has changed and we need to know what is going on.

Alex and team. If you are there please get this to the right people. It took a couple months last time before a Viasat engineer picked up on this thread and worked to resolve a different issue. Please don't let this drag out like that one did.

I am sending a separate email to the exedelistens@viasat.com and encourage anyone else in 329 or other beams seeing the same symptoms I am to do the same. One complaints does not a known issue make. Multiple complaints can get this escalated to the right people.
Photo of Billy Hodges

Billy Hodges

• 133 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
I am seeing all the same symptoms a day sure enough 2 am they all disappeared when the liberty pass time kicked in. I'm going to send a email too.
(Edited)

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Did they also start for you on 4.21.2016 ( Thursday)?
Photo of Billy Hodges

Billy Hodges

• 133 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Mine started on 4/20/2016 and I haven't gotten any kind of response from exede yet
(Edited)

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Mine may have been having issues on the 20th as well but I pretty much came home and went to sleep that night without doing much so would not have noticed. I first noticed it on the 21st. I have not received a response from my email either bit it is the weekend and it would seem there are other problems afoot that they may be waiting to be corrected before responding to this thread or us.
Photo of Larry Byars

Larry Byars

• 41 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
I am an exede tech . Signal strength should be 7 or higher. needs to be repointed. Another screen shot from Brian indicates possible cable or fitting problem. Need to be sure ihere is no copper clad.

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
My problem is down to cable or tria. Fittings have been checked, grounding block replaced, and modem replaced. Service call scheduled for Monday. That being said the problems from yesterday and today were not related to the equipment issue. Thanks for the reply!
Photo of Larry Byars

Larry Byars

• 41 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
make sure when the tech comes out that he checks all cable on both sides of the ground block and replace the ground block. copper clad can cause the issues you are having and can damage the modem and tria.
Photo of Tommy

Tommy

• 26 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Ditto here. We are in Central VA Blue Ridge just west of Charlottesville. Our problem started within past two weeks. I've even bought a new router. I can't get login to the beam panel to work, but viewing the sat modem status locally as others above have shown, shows same thing. Disconnected state. Cycling everything a few times sometimes gets it all back up.

We are on Exede Business which means we don't slow down for data overages ever. So it's not a bandwidth usage issue for sure. We have different tech support as well. We haven't started a ticket yet, but we will soon once back in the office.

We thought this might be our router, but no question there's a problem ongoing at Exede after reading these threads.

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
It is 5:19 PM and all indicators are green on my modem.  I have been in DAP since about 3:00 PM and things are still showing good in MeEsvt and working well on this end.

Are the others that were having similar issues (Billy Flynn, slowBill) working better this evening?  One question, how far over on the Priority Data are you?  When they added GB to my plan via the support call, it reset my usage so I lost the used percentage I was over previously.  I am wondering if you are still having problems what order of magnitude over your Priority Data are you?  I don't think that would have much to do with this since we all seemed to start having problems around the same date / time, but it is worth a look.  For instance if we were all say, 300 percent over our usage then maybe it is a combination of the changes Exede may or may not have made (no word yet on that) and the amount over priority data we are.

I hope good service continues through the evening.  Also hope to hear back from Exede regarding any of the posts put up so far.  Hopefully some point on Monday an Exede rep can chime in or I will get a reply back from my email to exedelistens@viasat.com.  

Please post if you have gotten anything from your troubleshooting or contacts with Exede.

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
So some more information:

Had somewhere to be this evening.  Just got back.  Everything working fine still.  Getting expected 1-5 Mbps (Actually about 1 - 2 Mbps but it is evening).  For the purpose of trying to figure out what is going on I restarted the modem via ESVT (noted that the Brownout Mode Enabled was YES).  Upon restart, I had connectivity, however throughput and packet loss were red.  Throughput eventually went to Green and Packet Loss to Yellow.  Started to test things out.  Not working so good.  So I power cycled the modem. Worse.  Now I cannot get on the internet at all.  Modem page shows connected, but getting DNS Resolution errors and pings timing out.

Call support.  Unplugged modem.  Disconnected router.  Plugged modem back in.  Hooked computer straight to the modem.  Modem status page comes up.  Watched it go through to the point of DHCP on the modem status page, then it started again Ranging, Ranged, Synced, started process again.  Ranging, started process again, Ranging, Ranged, Synched, DCHP, started process again.

Now when I say it started the process again, it was always the modem doing this, not interaction on my part and modem did not appear to actually reboot, just kept trying to go through the initialization process over and over.  Representative then proceeded to tell me that since I had used so much data it was causing the modem to have problems and I needed a higher data plan.  

I explained that even if I did not get even the 1 Mpbs speeds I should be able to at least browse the internet no matter how much data I used - ESPECIALLY WHEN ONCE AGAIN NO CONGESTION ON THE NETWORK.  She said I had used so much data that the modem was having issues.

I then requested Tier 2 support - who is closed.  I thanked her and said I would call Tier 2 support tomorrow.  Meanwhile I power cycled the modem once or twice more and wouldn't you know it.  I am back online.

So now let me breakdown what I think is going on (note this is pure conjecture again as I still have not gotten a response on this thread or from my email to Exede).

Based on what I am seeing and experiencing along with the fact that after restarting over and over again I ended up with a working connection, If you restart your modem enough you probably end back up on a carrier in the Beam that is not having problems while some of the others are.  I would take a guess it is a provisioning or programming issue and probably relates to something changed on the Beam (plan offerings again perhaps) on or around 4.20.2016 or 4.21.2016.  I cannot say for certain this is the case, but I suspect that is what is going on.  

I am hoping that someone from Exede is monitoring this thread and that one of the engineers can elaborate further on what might be going on.  I would really love some explanation here for everyone who is seeing these same issues.
Photo of Angela

Angela

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I am on a a different beam than you.  I am on beam 319 and have these same issues. I am on the Liberty Plan and am having disconnects for hours tonight once again.  It just came back on enough for me to type this, but won't work fully correct till approx. 2 am.  We have had this happening for days.  My emails have been answered, but they said I should call.  If I call I fear I am going to hear the same thing as you have been hearing.  Because everything on our end is working great.  We just get disconnects in the evening around the same time after it has worked all day.  I know Liberty can slow down, but I shouldn't be losing internet completely.  We have been on LIberty Plan since Nov. and this issue just started recently.  I am paying for internet that I can't use in the evening hours. Edited to add:   that it just took me 5 minutes to submit this post as I waited for the interenet to reconnect again. 
(Edited)
Photo of Billy Hodges

Billy Hodges

• 133 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
I was just able to get on tonight I been at work and it was just before 2am and it was running very slow. Then right after 2 I rebooted the modem then now it seems fine. Imagine that.

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
After my reboot after reboot last night around 10:15 PM, I was indeed finally able to get on the network, however Packet Loss and Throughput were showing red and yellow (back and forth).  I decided to just leave it be as I needed to do a few things.  Most things worked, however still had issues with connections timing out and pages not always loading.  It was a pain, but it was at least allowing be to browse around.

This morning, packet loss still showing red.  Restarted the modem.and packet loss is still yellow - so something is still wrong.  So now, we can again say every night for me since 4.21.2016 and Billy you say from 4.20.2016 we have seen our Liberty Pass service go from usable to not usable.  Packet Loss and Throughput indicators show red or yellow and the congestion is usually green for me.  

The explanation I received from Tier 2 on Friday night when I called and could actually get hold of someone was that when in Liberty Pass mode, sometimes the modem if restarted will get into some sort of Limbo and have problems. 

The explanation I received from Tier 1 last night was that I had used 6x my Priority Data allocation and that was causing my modem to have problems.  I tried to express that even if I was 12x my priority data allocation, I should still be able to browse the internet.  

Additionally I am absolutely sick and tired of the Level 1 support trying to tell me I need a new data plan to fix this.  When I was on the Classic Plan and had downloads scheduled between 12:00 AM and 5:00 AM every night I know I was using way more data than I am now.  Keep in mind, I am not asking for super fast speeds, I am asking for being able to browse the internet and do "light" streaming of video at SD lowest quality on a single device. Heck, when the issues are occurring I cannot eve resolve a DNS name by typing "ping www.google.com".  I literally have no internet at all.  Enough reboots and I can kind of get a connection.  Add prioirty data either by Tier 2 or by buying more as Billy did and magically it all works - which means this is an internal systems issue with the provisioning and traffic management at Exede that is cutting off or degrading the connection quality (note I am not saying speed, I am saying connection quality - i.e. - packet loss and no connectivity even though the modem says it is on).  The problem is if I use 40 GB in two weeks and this issue occurs as soon as I am in Pass Mode, what does it matter if I have 10 GB or 30 GB plan?  It doesn't.  Once I am in pass mode it seems this occurs. I have seen instances for people using several hundred GB in Liberty Pass and still work just fine.  So stop telling me I need a higher data plan, and stop telling me that using too much data will cause the modem to have issue.

Exede representatives over and over in these forums indicated that "heavier users of Liberty Pass may see slower speeds".  I asked for a definition of what heavier users were and never got a good response.  I asked at what point does the Liberty Pass users data usage cause them to get to a point where they are slowed to a point it won't work.  I did not get a good response.  The website seems to indicate the only limitation on the Liberty Pass is the speed of the data, not the amount of data.  I find extremely interesting that in the policies the 5:00 PM to 2:00 AM (or something like that) is referenced - maybe it is 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM) for pass users to see slower speeds and now we are having issues on the Liberty Pass during those hours (and after until we restart our modems).  The empirical evidence points to an implementation on Exede's end whether intentional or not of something that is causing Liberty Pass users (maybe others as well) problems with even getting basic connectivity during this time period.

I do have a service call on Monday - do I think these problems are directly related, well no.  I do have a cabling / tria problem but that has been going on for quite a while.  This just started and to further point this is more than just something on my equipment, others are having the same issue both those that post to this forum and those that do not that I have spoken with in real life. All seem ti indicate it starting about the same time.

Still no response from exedelistens@viasat.com and interestingly also no response to this thread from anyone at Exede yet.  

Please, Exede tell us what is going on and why this is occurring.  Also, telling us to call when this is occurring is not always a good option as three times I have called in while it was occurring, Tier 2 is closed.  In the morning the issues are usually better, so we need to be able to reach Tier 2 during the problematic hours.  Kind of a catch 22 situation going on here.

Users having issues may want to also check the https://www.wildblueworld.com/forum/showthread.php?9833-Beam-329-Echoes-of-Problems-Past-Returning as that forum also is monitored and usually has some rather good technical folks there.  

Keep posting your issues, findings, discussions, thoughts, theories, etc.  All of this will hopefully either get us an explanation or help Exede track down the problem.

Packet Loss stats:
-----------------------
Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:    Packets: Sent = 332, Received = 318, Lost = 14 (4% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 564ms, Maximum = 3929ms, Average = 823ms
-----------------------

This is from just a second ago. While this may not seem like a lot, it is enough to cause downloads to time out and other issues.
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Brian, that is a problem. I just ran the same ping and, got results more in line with what you SHOULD be getting. Something is amiss with your equipment and/or your beam or gateway. Don't give up Surely even if phone reps are unwilling to help, one of the Exede employees here can get this fixed.

I'd be fuming if this were me and a tech would be here to test and correct it ASAP. If the tech claimed all was well, I'd first want a second, more experienced, more thorough tech to come, then if still okay, time to discuss the gateway and my beam.

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 627ms, Maximum = 705ms, Average = 651ms

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Bev -

I am not fuming and a tech is scheduled to be here tomorrow evening. The reason for not fuming is that I know it is more than just me having this problem with service. I know from others posting on the forum and from speaking with others IRL who use the same Beam I doband are having the same problems. So the connectivity issue in and of itself is not limited to me ab d therefore it is unlikely an equipment problem causing the 5 PM to 2 AM issues.

W also go through the SLC gateway whcih has been consistently having problems the last few months. That being said so far in my support calls that is not supposedly an issue.

This issue we are seeing started and a rather specific and pinpoitable date and I suspect it was a change or a new problem on the Beam or gateway or something affecting not just our Beam but seems some others as well It seems to only affect those over Priority data. I cannot say it only affects Pass users but so far it seems that way except for one other that has posted as a business user he is seeing the same type symptoms.

I have this going on this morning but will be calling into Tier 2 again after lunch. I am still having these issues now which is outside of the 5 PM to 2 AM window.

I wish more folks with service were on this forum as I think it would help Exede recognize issues affecting more users than maybe are reported since Exede only considers it an issue if enough calls get escalated. That is why it is so important when you are having problems to call in and request an escalation if the TIER 1 can't help or if it is a repeated problem. I will be calling every night this occurs and posting results. Also now I know I have to call in before 8 PM MST to get to Tier 2. Unfortunately not everyone is able to do that.

I will keep this updated.
Photo of Tommy

Tommy

• 26 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Again since we are an Exede Business Class service this isn't apples and apples. But ... We continue to see similar problems, though the last 24 hours appears to be more stable.

Honestly the only time we've ever gotten results is by calling the corporate offices of ViaSat in California. Once we did that the results were almost immediate. - Biz tech support is different than residential which is light years ahead. But I do remember the tech support on residential was like an endless black hole. Sadly.
(Edited)
Photo of Shawn

Shawn

• 10 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Interesting, I am also central va. We moved a mile down the road and as our previous plan was no longer available we switched to liberty. Still in our first month of service here. We had to top trees first.
For a bit over a week we get dropped every night, not just from streaming but everything. Unplug router and/or modem occasionally works. Exede stated we weren't getting a beam at all and scheduled a tech visit to realign the dish. Next day services was fine, that evening it was completely out again.
Tech guy came yesterday, put a new radio part in the dish, but he says we need to cut down 2 trees now as wind may cause a problem.
I have scheduled that but am leary it's the issue. The wind doesn't blow just in the evenings and the problem only tends to occur then. In fact I can generally connect no problem while watching the breeze in the trees during the day. If the issue is wind blowing the trees than unplugging the router and modem would rarely work.
However, I know exede and they won't look further than the trees if we don't top them. Although if it's not fixed soon I'll be canceling service.
Photo of Shawn

Shawn

• 10 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Ha! No sooner do I type this out then my service is down this morning, that's a first, so it seems the issue is getting worse, despite the trees not currently moving.

I wanted to add that the tree issue is annoying as we already topped the one they told us too, when fully leafed. Now they are saying 2 others are interfering with the extra 10 degrees on the sides, although it's a big opening. Trees just don't stop blocking the beam when you unplug the modem...
(Edited)
Photo of Billy Hodges

Billy Hodges

• 133 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Well the issues have started early today

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Call in while it is happening and ask to speak to Tier 2 support.   Reference this thread and Beam 329 and others are having the same problems.  Hopefully they can try to give some insight into what is going on.

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
I just called into Tier 2 support and was told:
---------
Sir you are over your Priority Data plan by 400 percent.  I added a 1 GB Priority data to your plan, but the issue is that you are over so far that there isn't enough available signal for the modem to communicate with the router.  Also the modem needs to update every 24 to 48 hours and if we are on the Pass that can keep the modem from updating.

We agreed to disagree on this.  I know that i have been using Liberty since November and no matter how far over I have been this is the first time I have been having these types issues.

Tier 2 insists that I need a higher plan, but cannot explain to me how that will help if I still go over.  No point in paying 3x the price of the 10 plan if it only buys me a week.

I am not sure where to go from here.  I guess wait for the service call and see what happens.  The Tier 2 person I spoke with said her department knew everything about every aspect of my modem, plan, etc and that I should have stayed on the classic plan.  Wait, I said, the classic plan is still available to me.  She said no it isn;t she has all the plans and it is not available to me.  I said I can sign into the website and see it.  She said no I couldn't.  I said wait a minute.  I signed into my.exede.net and looked and what do you know it was all there.  She said let me check, and what do you know she saw them too.  I aksed when they started offering it again and she never did give me that information.

Bottom line is I am tired, physically and mentally of fighting a losing battle with Exede.  Every time I call support I am told it is my fault and I am over my data.  Well the point of the LIberty plan is to allow customers to used their internet when they go over.  That is not what is being delivered.

I have no options that are any better that Exede so I am stuck.  Online, in the forums, and otherwise Exede implied that use of the internet was going to be OK even over the limit on Priority Data with the Liberty Pass.  Now they tell me once over things will not work.

Do we watch a lot of Netflix now with the Pass - well of course.  But in the evenings, even with just my computer connected to the modem I cannot get a connection.  No netflix, just plain web browsing.  Started 4.21.2016 for me.

I have not gotten any response to my email.  Interestingly no Exede representative has commented or responded to this thread.  I don't know what else to do.  I will not be posting much more until after the service call tomorrow.  Bottom line is every time I call (this was the Easy Care number again btw), I get the same response - "Oh you are over your data so no wonder you CAN'T connect".

Hope anyone else is having a better time with support.  Solution today was add a GB to the account (even though I asked them not to as that is not a solution, that is a bandaid.  I wanted them to be able to TS the problem and the only reason I was calling today was that it didn't work last night and has been going offline every night for the past 4 days and I just needed to talk to Tier 2 support.).  Then told all was fine on my modem even though cable resistance was high.  Asked what the brownout mode was and she said she didn't know where i was getting that from.  Told her where and she said I don't know what that is, but show the technician that comes out tomorrow.

She was nice and professional, just kept reverting to "I know everything there is to know and your problem is that you are over your data".  I said others in my area are having problems too.  She said I can't work with those unless they call in.  I know that, I just wanted her to look deeper into it than I was over my data.

I feel like that tired old historical figure that gave up and said...."I will fight no more'..."

Exede - if your are listening.  Please let us know what is happening.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
Sorry guys, Exede is ABSOLUTELY right to cut you off.  Thinking you have unlimited data was a mistake on your part.  Exede is a very nice company but they aren't dumb.  People do everything they can to stay within their data allowance as can be seen by the posts on this forum but you guys think your entitled to take advantage of Exede. I and many other customers would be ticked if you would still be allowed to stream Netflix "a lot" when your 6x and 400% over.  No way that should be allowed.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
If you max out and opt not to make a plan change or data purchase, we may slow and restrict some of your service until the end of your data use cycle. You can read the legal terms of our data allowance policy here.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Yes and, that's why many of us have a Liberty Pass plan, we know that once we use all of our priority data, we will be slowed but, the deal with Liberty Pass is that we can still do basic things like browse the web, read blogs or forums, get our email, upload and download file essential to our work or needed receipts, legal documents etc... And yes, MOST videos will still stream under Liberty Pass.

It works fine, when everything is working right, this problem is NOT and out of data problem.

Some users cannot afford both internet and television at their home. Some of us have to have satellite for radio, television and internet, we have none at all without satellite. All of that costs money, and plenty of it. If you are on a fixed or lower income, you simply can't afford all of that but is it fair that you not have what most people take for granted in towns and cities because you are retired or there is not higher paying job for which you are qualified within 100 miles of you?

I'm glad Viasat understands that and offers us Liberty plans to allow us to have semi affordable internet at least.

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Jim-

I used waaaay more under the classic plan and free zone than I ever have under the Liberty Plan. Liberty is sold with "no hard data caps" and only a cap on speeds during the Liberty Pass mode.

Liberty was presented sold and sill says we should be able to use the internet for browsing while over our allowance. I have been on Liberty since November of last year and problems started last week. I know of people that have gone well over 1000 percent of their cap in that time with no problems.

I have no issue with slowing down, I have issue with connections just plain not working. Liberty ID also sold with being able to get higher speeds in the morning to use Netflix and such during the Pass mode. So if my family decides to stream a couple 1 hour shows a day during the off peak hours I should still be able to at least browse the web after going over.

To add to that, there are those that are only over a little bit and they see the same issue. So it isn't about the amount used it is about the Pass period. So now Liberty should be sold as little or no service during Peak hours if in Pass mode, not most things should work unless you are heavy users. If that was how it was sold then fine, but it wasn't.

I understand your sentiment, but think about the classic plans and how much MORE people were using with those than Liberty. I have read the policies, however posts in this very forum seem to indicate that there is no cap on data usage during the Liberty Plan, just speed caps.

I will wait for an actual company representative to respond.

Thank you for your inout.
Photo of Billy Hodges

Billy Hodges

• 133 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
I have barely went over my data limit and am seeing the issues
Photo of Shawn

Shawn

• 10 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
You know what ticks me off? That I'm NOT trying to stream, just check emails and Web pages. I had their unlimited email and browsing plan for years. I had no problems, I recommended the company to friends, many in my industry.
Then we bought a new home a mile down the same road and Exede refused to let me keep the plan as they had discontinued it. I never knew they had discontinued it so had no way of knowing I would lose it.
I ended up with the liberty plan. I've had it less than a month and it's worse than when I had hughes.net! They assured me it was a better plan and like my previous one I'd be able to check email and Web pages.
So first it's that the dish needs alignment, then it's that we need to top more trees, except that if I don't use the router (purchases from their installer) I connected fine. If I restart modems and router it's often fine, for a short time.
At this point I'm about to cancel and they can eat their contract because they are not providing me with the consistent service I was promised. I have zero problem paying for additional data, but I won't do so when I'm being jerked around about what's causing the issue. Truth be told we're honestly discussing selling this house and moving so we don't have to deal with exede anymore because my work requires that I have access. I can guarantee I am no longer referring them.
Photo of Shawn

Shawn

• 10 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Also, Exede encourages the Liberty plan when you call. Their selling point is that you can stream on 1 device when over your limit, during non-peak times.
So you can be as ticked as you want to be, it's irrelevant because that ability is *exactly* what Exede is using to sell the plan!
That we can't even view Web pages becomes a huge issue when promised streaming abilities.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.