New 25 Mbps plans starting to become available!

• Praise
  • Updated 4 years ago
I just wanted to give people the heads up that it looks like the new 25 Mbps plans have started to become available to current customers in some areas. I can attest to the area in the northern part of the lower peninsula of Michigan but I don't know about other areas of the country.

I've just done the switch and I'm eagerly awaiting my new modem.

Thanks Exede!
Photo of Joshua

Joshua

• 214 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
  • happy

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of HMC1940

HMC1940

• 605 Posts
  • 253 Reply Likes
Thanks Josh. Let me know how it works. Your on 305 aren't you? 
Photo of Joshua

Joshua

• 214 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Yep, if I recall correctly we are on the same beam. You know, a cool idea would be to have sub forums for each beam / region...

I'll definitely report back my results when the new modem arrives. I'm guessing with all the holiday rush it won't arrive until after Christmas and I just hit my Liberty Pass, so it will be Jan before I can report back some uncapped results :)
Photo of HMC1940

HMC1940

• 605 Posts
  • 253 Reply Likes
Sounds good to me.  :-)
Photo of Chad Brown

Chad Brown

• 23 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I changed my plan on 365, called customer service to find a shipping time frame and they persistently told me that the new speeds weren't even available to existing customers lol...
Photo of Joshua

Joshua

• 214 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Well, when your modem does arrive it will be interesting to see what kind of throughput you get.

I know that the 25 Mbps is a best case scenario and if there is congestion we'll see much lower rates.

Another issue is that many servers are capped as well, so you've got to be hitting something that can serve at 25 Mbps as well.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
According to the following article, the 25 Mbps SpeedBoost option (which requires the new Wifi/Modem/Voice device) won't be available for 2/3 of the spot beams. ViaSat is setting the stage for the new satellite launch:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/dec/01/viasat-boeing-satellite-internet-hughesnet-exed...

In addition, the following article provides further insight into the Liberty Plan model:

http://www.satellitetoday.com/telecom/2015/11/25/viasat-exec-says-pricing-plan-changes-key-for-exede...

With regard to the new satellite launch, keep an eye on December 19 and SpaceX Falcon 9 return to flight after 6 months. It's success or failure will largely determine whether any further delays in the ViaSat-2 launch can be expected. The next major milestone for the ViaSat-2 schedule will be whether the SpaceX Falcon Heavy demo flight(s) go off as scheduled and tentatively planned for April/May 2016. Decemeber 19 will be a key in avoiding any further de-prioritization of the Falcon Heavy, although it appears ViaSat may be prepping for a Plan B.

I'd say c'mon man it's not rocket science but in this case is... 

(Edited)
Photo of Joshua

Joshua

• 214 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Thanks for the info!
Photo of HMC1940

HMC1940

• 605 Posts
  • 253 Reply Likes
Thanks for the information Old Labs. Can always count on you for good info. :-)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
And the schedule starts to slip - yesterday's test fire didn't go off as planned (no comment from SpaceX on why) and was necessary to meet the 1 hour launch window for December 19. Hurry up and wait...
Photo of Joshua

Joshua

• 214 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
< sigh > ...

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Hang in there... they've got an immediate launch window (translation very narrow) tonight (12/20) at 8:29 PM ;)

One source suggests it's about a sixty second window - since the FAA doesn't want any lengthy air traffic disruption due to increased holiday flight traffic.
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Keep hanging... let's try again tonight (12/21). It seems Elon Musk is determined to stick the landing on the reusable booster this time after being upstaged by Jeff Bezos awhile back..