network management policy change options?

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
I signed up in November 2017 with the Unlimited Silver 25 Mbps plan.  No problems at all until a week or so ago - right after I received an email from Viasat about the plan policy update.  Being the typical consumer, it sat unread in my inbox because it's just routine stuff, right?  After a few days of much slower than normal Internet - video buffering, slow page loads - I decided to look in these forums.  Well, you don't have to guess what I discovered.  After much reading and contemplating, I'm back today to post.  It didn't help that I started noticing Pandora buffering this afternoon.  Anyway, this isn't a rant since I've read a few of those on here myself, and as bad as it is, I have to admit it's still better, albeit marginally, than what I left but a far cry worse than what I've grown accustomed to over the last 14 months.  Instead, I'd like to know, realistically, what my options are to restore the service I had (or at least get a portion of it back, if possible).

The email stated I could: 1. Do nothing, 2. Upgrade or change plans (my email mentioned Viasat-2), or 3. Leave and they would waive the early termination fees.

When I look at my plan options, I don't see Viasat-2 listed, only Liberty 12 (12/25/50 GB).  While I would prefer option 3 they gave me, I no longer can go back to what I had (Centurylink DSL - way over subscribed at my DSLAM).

My questions to the community are:  If I were to change plans to one of the available Liberty 12 plans, would my traffic stop being de-prioritized since I'm in the affected Unlimited plans purchased prior to February 13, 2018?  Also, would changing plans mean another 24-month commitment?  I don't particularly like this option, and I know if I switch, I won't be able to get my Unlimited Silver 25 back.  I would appreciate any constructive comments/advice.  Thank you.
Photo of Keith_M

Keith_M

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
You should look into mobile hotspots like im doing if your only options are dial up and satellite , id check out verizon jetpack and theyre unlimited plan for 65 a month  , I dont have a clue about the liberty plans cant answer about those except they wont lock you into a contract just for switching plans
(Edited)
Photo of Keith_M

Keith_M

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I'm definitely looking into other options, and Verizon is on my list.  Thanks, Gwen.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
If I were to change plans to one of the available Liberty 12 plans, would my traffic stop being de-prioritized since I'm in the affected Unlimited plans purchased prior to February 13, 2018?
Yes, Liberty Plans appear to be the beneficiary of this change from the experience some of us are having. However, Liberty Plans also have a lower amount or priority data after which you will be subjected to de-prioritization during busy periods (i.e. network congestion).

Also, would changing plans mean another 24-month commitment?
A new 24 month commitment will only occur if you were to switch satellites (i.e. move to Viasat-2).

Be aware those of us on Liberty Plans make do with the lower data threshold and slow speeds by leveraging the free zone from 0300 - 0600, trimming a lot of waste from today's bloated web sites, and leveraging off peak hours. Some have resorted to using PlayOn Cloud to record video in the Cloud and later download (rather than stream live) either during the free zone or from public WiFi for later viewing offline 

At the same time, some are noting much better performance on Liberty Pass (after exceeding the priority data). I'm not sure that will continue and may just be a glitch in the new traffic prioritization algorithms.

Me personally, I'd defer any decision for a few weeks to see how things pan out and any kinks to be corrected. During that time I'd be evaluating other options also as Gwen suggests, but would also find out what the time period is for canceling without any ETFs. I suspect it may be 30 days from the published date of January 15. I'd also see how your current Unlimited Plan performs during off peak hours Mon-Fri while gathering anecdotal observations from others regarding Liberty and Unlimited performance.

But you're correct you wont be able to go back to the Unlimited 150 GB plans if you switch.

(Edited)
Photo of Keith_M

Keith_M

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Good information on the plan changes.  I felt like that would be the case for changing plans.  Email mentioned, I believe, a renewed 24-month for Viasat-2 because of the new equipment, but I just wanted to be sure.  Waiting a bit is good advice.  Thanks.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Yes. With 2 requiring new equipment and a service call, that is why. Same with those that upgraded from Wildblue.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2791 Posts
  • 1452 Reply Likes
I’m on Liberty 12 and have used up my priority data for the month.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Do you want a cookie?
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@vet , i'll take a couple if you got extra's
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion