Netgear N300 router won't connect to Surfbeam 2 modem - firmware updated already

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Hello all!  This is a source of ongoing frustration - any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance.  Here's the rundown - please let me know if there are any other particulars I need to share:

My exede connection is solid; I can connect to the internet using an ethernet cable plugged into the modem (a Surfbeam 2.)

Until about a week ago, I was having no problem connecting through a Netgear WGT624v3 (about a 7 year old router.)  Then, my connection would drop out; after disconnecting and reconnecting the router's ethernet cable, I would get a short period of connectivity between 10 and 60 minutes, and then nothing.

Firmware was upgraded; still same problem. Tried another version of the same Netgear router – same problem. Then tried an ancient 10-year old D-Link router, which works fine, but the signal doesn't reach the 30 feet across my home.

So I got a more recent Netgear N300, about 3 years old. I updated the firmware. In the router management software, “Netgear genie” when connected to the modem via ethernet, it says that no ethernet cable is plugged into the internet port.

I've contacted Netgear, and they would like me to pay for customer support. I've called Exede, (once for each device I've tried) and they told me to get a new router.

It seems strange that three Netgear routers won't connect, but an old D-link works. Does anyone have any ideas? Has anyone else had this problem, and resolved it somehow? Thanks a ton.

Photo of Brendon Palmer-Angell

Brendon Palmer-Angell

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 2801 Posts
  • 1768 Reply Likes
I went out and bought an ASUS router, no more problems.
Photo of Exede Amber

Exede Amber, Employee

• 135 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Hello Brendon, Here is a link for compatible routers with our services http://viasat.force.com/kb/articles/General/5160. Netgear routers appear on our compatible list, however make sure that all of the software is up to date. If it is not up to date it can affect the connection between the modem and the router. If you have any further questions please send in an email to exedelistens@viasat.com

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.