Netgear 600 Setup

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
I just got Exede set up today, and I have a couple of router setup questions. I'll preface by saying I understand satellite internet a bit and have had Exede or Hughsnet for 3 years now. First problem is the data usage meter says we have used 6 of 12 gb in the first 6 hours, most of which we wer outside. 2nd is that when I try to watch even a short 30 second video it buffers multiple times while trying to load. When I run a speed test on my phone I get anywhere from 5-19gbs downloads, with those speeds a video should run flawlessly, what am I doing wrong?
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 137 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3134 Posts
  • 3085 Reply Likes
For the first problem, data usage, it appears that the Netgear 600 series have a built-in activity monitor and traffic meter (assuming the actual model is WNDR3700 see pages 98-100 of http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNDR3700V5/WNDR3700v5_UM_03Sept2015.pdf - instructions may differ for other models). You might want to enable it and compare its usage counts against that reported by Exede going forward to see if there's a discrepancy.

For the second problem (speed), the first thing I'd do is ensure the firmware is up to date - see page 92 of that manual.       
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2540 Posts
  • 1563 Reply Likes
To see if the router is causing the slow speeds, you should run a speed test with your computer directly connected to the modem using a Cat5 Ethernet cable. If this yields higher speeds, then the router may be the cause of the slowdown. Also, the buffering while watching a YouTube video is often caused by the servers at YouTube are seeing high demand from users.