Netflix downloads

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: older post

We are not big uses of Netflix especially since we moved into an area not served by wireless broadband like we had at our prior house, however we keep our account going since we have kids in college and they use it quite a bit.  But that being said, my question is, the tech that hooked up our service said something about downloading programs during the free zone and watching them later on.  I also have seen a reference or two to that on the board on occasion.  I don't see when I look at the Netflix site how to do this.  If anyone can explain this to me it would be appreciated because like most people,  I'm usually not feeling like watching programs in the middle of the night.  ;-)
Photo of Jacqueline Tierney

Jacqueline Tierney

• 14 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • puzzled

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Jacqueline,

Great Questions!  The Free Zone provides a period of time where data usage is not metered or count toward your monthly data allowance period. It’s a great time to download software updates, stream video, upload photos and other large files or anything else you want to do online.  The hours of the Free Zone are set to your local time zone and depend on which plan you are on: 

Classic Exede Plan Late Night Free Zone (10, 15 or 25GB): Daily from 12 midnight to 5 a.m.
Evolution Plan Early Bird Free Zone: Daily from 3 a.m. to 8 a.m.

If you're not up during these hours, having a  Download Manager will assist you in scheduling downloads to watch at a later time. You should be able to find a Download Manger online based off your operating system.  If you have any other questions or concerns, please let me know.

Sincerely, 
ExedeKarmin
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 674 Posts
  • 304 Reply Likes
To clarify, download managers work for individual files, but not for streaming off a service like Netflix. At this time, there's no way to 'save' a Netflix stream during the Free Zone.

Photo of spamsucker500 .

spamsucker500 .

• 2 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Old thread, I know, but someone might find this useful.

Netflix streams can be saved using a piece of software called PlayLater.  It's not free and kind of rough around the edges, but it does work.  No scheduling, so you have to be up at midnight to start the recording, but you can queue up 5 hours worth of TV shows/movies.  (I downloaded 13 episodes of Transformers Rescue Bots for my son last night).

The best part for me is that the file format and naming conventions are compatible with my Plex media server.  I just dump the download into the appropriate folder, and can then watch them on any of our computers or on the TV by way of a Roku.

We've downloaded dozens of movies and TV episodes this way.
Photo of Lake Country Satellite

Lake Country Satellite

• 140 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
Thank you for sharing!  I have been looking for a solution for our clients and have heard about this, but have not had time to try out.  I greatly appreciate you sharing this valuable information and will definitely pass this information along!

Photo of spamsucker500 .

spamsucker500 .

• 2 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Glad to help.  PlayLater is far from perfect, but with no competition that I'm aware of, I put up with its issues. 

It is resource-hungry.  I first installed it on an older Win7 PC, and my downloads failed about half the time.  When they did work, they were at fairly low resolution.

Now that I've moved it to an i5-based machine with more RAM, there have been almost no unexplained recording failures, and most of the downloads have been at 720p.

I use it almost exclusively for Netflix, but it supports Hulu, Amazon, and many other sources.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Thank you for posting spamsucker500. This will help so many customers who have struggled with this issue! (:
Photo of Billy Wisler

Billy Wisler

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The new version of play later (playon 4.0.15) now has a feature which allows to schedule the network off times which you can set to 12-5 am so as to record only during the free period.
Photo of RickyP033

RickyP033

• 101 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Thanks for informing about PlayLater. Also, and to this AdBlock Plus, VLC media Player, and Freemake Video Converter and Downloader and see if they can help too.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.